Show Respect, Not Subservience

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Amarea

Show Respect, Not Subservience

Post by Amarea » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:29 am

Summary:
After chancing upon the novice Skyra, and realizing that her own schedule is atypically open for the day, Amarea offers to teach the novice on a topic of her choosing. Taking advice to heart impressed upon her at a recent lesson with Keshara Sedai, Skyra asks for a lesson on etiquette, decorum, and what it means to be a novice of the White Tower. Amarea shares what she knows of this topic, including a few stories about her own past has informed her present day perspectives and beliefs. A few brief interruptions make the lesson a a bit more lively.

POV: Amarea
Main characters: Amarea, Skyra
Guest appearances: Evereseta, Elmitsu, Trinket the ferret

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A Large Reading Room
The large, ovular reading room of the library extends to the south, dotted
with scroll-covered and book-covered desks. The desks are a dark wood,
which matches the furnishings of the walls and shelves. Rows of pictures
hang in dusty frames along the walls. The entirity of the northern wall is
a large, heavily-leaded arched window that overlooks the Tower grounds, one
of the few windows in the building, as light degrades the quality of ink.
[ obvious exits: S ]
Zone: White Tower Ground Floor
Skyra the Fledgling Novice is standing here.
A young woman is here thinking to herself.

Skyra sits down.

Amarea settles into a chair, tapping her lips in thought. 'Now, I know you said you'd like a lesson, but what kinds of things are you most interested in?'

Amarea says 'I haven't decided on a specific area of scholarly research to specialize in or right a report on, so I don't really have a specialization in anything yet. I know a fair bit about history, but I'm still working on that. I have a Talent in weaves that tap into ley lines, or the connections between people, places, and things, including the Locate and Travel weaves. Or we could work on some more basic weave knowledge or practice channeling together.'

Skyra says 'Well, I am interested in learning and most importantly how to use them. I could also use guidance on how best to research for Aes Sedai.

Skyra says 'I would also like to learn some Etiquette and Conduct. Interactions with other Aes Sedai and Warders. etc... '

Skyra says 'We are introduced to very rudimentary items during Orientation but nothing in good detail.'

Amarea says 'When you say you're interested in learning and how to use "them", what do you mean? Various weaves? Or specific things you're hoping to learn?'

Skyra says 'To be more specific. I know how to weave Ice Spikes. What I don't know is how to use it properly. That could be said of all the weaves
I know.'

Amarea nods, settling into her chair. She taps a hand idly on the desk in thought. Smiling, she suggests, 'What if we talk a little bit more about general etiquette and navigating the undercurrents of the White Tower, and then some more practical lessons about the One Power itself? Weave selection and training, and whatnot.'

Skyra says 'That sounds excellent! Something I really need to learn more of.'

Amarea beams a broad smile from ear to ear.

Amarea says 'I can preface our discussion by adding that I'm glad to help, but please remember that I am just one person and that my suggestions are based heavily on my own experience. There is more than one path to advancement, I'm sure of it, and what helps you learn and grow might differ than what I have seen for myself.'

Everesta has arrived from the south.

Everesta looks around the reading room.

Skyra clambers to her feet.

Skyra curtseys before Everesta.

Everesta nods at Skyra.

Amarea pauses and looks up from her area by the desk and smiles.

Amarea stops resting, and stands up.

Amarea curtseys before Everesta.

Everesta nods at Amarea.

Everesta says 'What's happening in the reading room, I wonder?'

Everesta lets her eyes linger on a few pictures as she circles the room.

Amarea says 'Oh, good morning, Everesta Sedai. I was just givin' a lesson to Skyra to help teach her some things to help her with her trainin' in the
Tower.'

Amarea says 'We both find this room relaxin' and thought it might be a more casual place for a conversation than a classroom.'

Skyra says 'Accepted Amarea is give a lesson in Towerl'

Everesta says 'That seems like a good use of time, Skyra, what are you taking away from it?'

Skyra has lost her link.
Skyra has reconnected.

Skyra shivers uncomfortably.

Amarea smiles at Skyra.

Amarea comforts Skyra.

Skyra says 'Sorry about that. I am not sure what happened.'

Everesta eyes move past Skyra.

Amarea asks concernedly with a small frown, 'Skyra, are you well? You seemed to lose focus for a moment there.'

Everesta says 'And Amarea, how are your studies? A Tower Accepted already. Are you apprenticed with the Brown?'

Amarea blushes faintly.

Skyra says 'To be honest I feel fine. One second I just lost my train of thought It wont happen again.'

Everesta smiles kindly at Skyra and nods in understanding.

Amarea says 'Yes, Everesta Sedai. I apprenticed to the Brown Ajah, under the mentorship of Liia Sedai, although Aelrena Sedai also noted she would be glad to offer some lessons as her time permits.'

Everesta says 'A coupling of power in research, aptitude, and presence. A lucky opportunity. How'd you earn it?'

Trinket the ferret has arrived from the south.

Skyra looks at Trinket the ferret.

Everesta looks out the window at the sun rising.

Amarea explains, 'Melosa and I came across Liia Sedai by chance a few weeks back. Melosa had a task from Evaine Sedai of the Red to discuss items of the Power, and I asked if i could tag along, as I had not met with Liia Sedai before. I stayed after to speak with her more about an apparent Talent I have for weaves related to ley lines, including the Locate and Travel weaves, and she shares my interest in them.'

Amarea says 'She gave me a puzzle, and an opportunity to help her on a field research project, and our collaboration grew from there. It's been really quite exciting, actually.'

Skyra pats Trinket the ferret on his head.

Everesta says 'If there's anything the Tower needs, its more excitement.'

Everesta chuckles politely.

Amarea chuckles politely.

Amarea says 'Well, more of the good kind of excitement, at least.'

Elmitsu has arrived from the south.

Everesta says 'Well, I'll leave you two to your lesson. When either of you find yourself more available, feel free to reach out to me. I generally
pass through the wings at this time.'

Amarea nods in agreement.

Elmitsu bends her knees in deference to Everesta Sedai upon entering the Reading Room.

Amarea curtseys before Everesta.

Trinket the ferret gets bored with the bauble he's been playing with.
Trinket the ferret looks around for something new and shiny to 'borrow'...

Skyra says 'Thank you Everesta Seadai.'

Trinket the ferret leaves south. vv

Elmitsu gets a gold ring delicately carved with ivy from a backpack.

Everesta winks at Elmitsu as she enters the room, before gliding out.

Everesta leaves south. vv

Elmitsu mumbles to herself as the ferret disappears into the stacks, "I was going to give this to Trinket!"

Elmitsu says 'Oh, well. I have something for you too, Amarea. Maybe you can make more sense of it than me.'

Skyra beams a smile at Elmitsu.

Amarea pauses for a moment, then releases a breath she didn't seem to realize she was holding.

Elmitsu gets a copy of the Karaethon Cycle from a backpack.

Elmitsu gives Amarea a copy of the Karaethon Cycle.

Elmitsu says 'This might as well be written in the Old Tongue for all the sense I can make of it!'

read book
It is a copy of the Karaethon Cycle.

Trinket the ferret has arrived from the south.

Amarea blinks her eyes innocently.

Elmitsu whispers something to Trinket the ferret.

Elmitsu drops a gold ring delicately carved with ivy.

Trinket the ferret scurries up to a shiny bauble and claims it!
Trinket the ferret gets a gold ring delicately carved with ivy.
Trinket the ferret jealously guards his horde of shiny things.

Amarea sits down at the desk, eyes taking in the book and studying it with a mixture of curiosity and apprehension.

Elmitsu smiles happily.

Skyra sits down.

Elmitsu says 'Maybe we can discuss it later? I am off on an errand for Kitiara Sedai. The Light keep you both.'

Elmitsu leaves south. vv

Amarea asks absently, still looking at the book, 'Skyra, have you met Elmitsu before?'

Skyra shakes her head.

Amarea pauses for a moment with a frown, looking up at the sudden quiet, and looks around in confusion. 'Oh, she left already. That was sudden.'

Skyra says 'You will have to forgive me. I do not remember where we left off. I believe we were going to talk about Etiquette and Conduct within the tower.'

Amarea nods in agreement.

Skyra says 'I understand this is not absolute and subjective. But getting a headstart will be very beneficial.'

Amarea puts the book away for now, a worried expression passing over her face, but it fades and returns to a smile as she studies the novice.
Amarea emote: Amarea puts the book away for now, a worried expression passing over her face, but it fades and returns to a smile as she studies the novice.

Amarea says 'Skyra, what do you think the purpose of novice training is? Some of the key points, anyway?'

Amarea says 'In my experience, knowing how to carry yourself around others is much easier when you understand your role and place in a given situatiuon.'

Skyra says 'Generally speaking it is an introduction to Teach young girls how to properly use the One Power. Either to not harm themselves ro fully
induct them into the tower proper.'

Trinket the ferret leaves south. vv

Skyra says 'It also teaches them discipline so that they are not sure able to use the One Power but to use in a way that exemplifies the Tower and its activities. These are broad strokes and I could go into more detail if you like.'

Amarea says 'I certainly think those are key ideas. There's a reason the Aes Sedai call novices 'children', Skyra. It's because really, when it comes to
channeling anyway, we're babes when we start here. Some of us, like me, didn't even know they -could- channel when they joined.'

Skyra nods at Amarea.

Amarea nods at you and smiles. 'So, safety, to ensure we are learning to stand before walking, and walking before running and leaping. And discipline, to keep us grounded, and ensure we can be trusted to take on more difficulty responsibilities.'

Amarea asks, 'Can I share a little bit about myself, something that relates to this topic?'

Skyra says 'Yes of course.'

Amarea says 'I might've told you this before, but I was raised in Lugard, in Murandy. My ma and da own the Lugard Bakery. As a child, I would help with gathering and preparing ingredients. When I got older, I learned how to actually bake bread and pastries, but also helped on the customer side, making sales and answering questions. And I learned how to help my father with the ledgers for our accounts.'

Skyra says 'I have not heard this story.'

Amarea says 'I am the oldest of seven children, so I also had to help with feeding, changing, bathing, and watching over my brothers and sisters.'

Amarea says 'Before I came to the White Tower, I was on a trip to Emond's Field to collect some ingredients from the farmers there, and I came across a Gray sister. Chloro Sedai, in fact.'

Skyra says 'I bet that was intimidating.'

Amarea says 'Yes, but also exciting. I hadn't had many chances to see Aes Sedai before. A few Yellows earlier in my life, who helped with a disease
outbreak in the city.'

Amarea says 'Chloro Sedai alluded to the possibility that she might see me in the White Tower one day. I suspect even then that she could detect the potential in me. And when I told her that I wasn't sure I could live that life, that I was just a commoner working in a bakery from a poor family, she told me that Siuan Sanche, the Amyrlin Seat herself, used to be a fisherman's daughter and came from poverty herself.'

Skyra says 'That is high praise for sure!'

Amarea smiles fondly as she explains, 'That story stuck with me. The Amyrlin Seat herself, from a life in some ways not so different than my own, cleaning fish guts. And then, at one point, she certainly had to be a novice herself, and wash dishes and shelve books.'

Amarea says 'I don't think she meant it as praise, per se, but we could interpret it that way because of how we view Mother now. But all women, whether Daughter-Heirs to a throne or the poorest urchin, go through the same process.'

Skyra nods at Amarea.

Amarea leans forward, smiling as she idly tugs at a stray lock of blonde hair. 'Being a novice isn't just to make sure we do our part, or because the Aes Sedai rely on us to keep the White Tower clean. They have servants for that. It's to initiate us into tradition, of customs and a culture, to help us all see each other as one and the same. To help build cohesion, and appreciate that culture we are training in.'

Skyra writes with a smooth script onto some paper.

Amarea says 'Skyra, what is the first and most important lesson the Aes Sedai teach us about embracing the True Source?'

Skyra says 'Well,to embrace is to open yourself up and to surrender.'

Amarea nods emphatically and grins. 'Yes, precisely.'

Skyra smiles happily.

Amarea says 'My suggestion is this: Think of your time as a novice like the very first steps in learning how to embrace the Source. It's a time to
surrender, and open yourself up to the gift that is around you.'

Skyra nods at Amarea.

Amarea says 'So, taking these topics and weaving them together, I want you to think for a moment. If you could really adopt these ideas into your approach to talking and behaving, how do you think it might change the way you carry yourself around the Aes Sedai?'

Skyra says 'If I am understanding you correctly. Based on surrendering yourself to the surroundings and being a Child/Novice. As a Novice we should show deference and respect at all times to those above us. Not necessarily just Aes Sedai. That does not necessarily mean subservience but to show the utmost respect to those who have earned. But to not only show that in the way you act but the way you speak.'

Amarea says 'I think that is an excellent way of putting it.'

Skyra blushes.

Amarea says 'And I really like the way you highlight the difference between subservience, and respect. Showing kindness, and attention, and responding quickly and thoughtfully, are what we strive for.'

Amarea says 'What about when interacting with others who are not of the White Tower? The Gaidin and Tower Guard, of course, but what about visitors? Soldiers from other lands, or those not affiliated with any known organization?'

Skyra says 'While I am just a Novice. The Aes Sedai are servants and as such everyone is to be treated with the same respect.'

Amarea nods thoughtfully.

Amarea says 'There are a few exceptions worth noting, especially given the times.'

Skyra says 'I should still treat others as if I am an Aes Sedai even though Novices are but young girls in training.'

Amarea subconsciously sets her hand on her backpack, where the Karaethon Cycle is peeking out.

Skyra says 'I would say that respect is given so long as it is earned. That can go both ways.'

Amarea says 'I think in general, showing respect is recommended. If they are possible criminals, or those affiliated with the Dragonsworn not yet
warranted, or acolytes professing to be training to join the Children of Light, I would be cautious and avoid them.'

Skyra says 'Yes that is good advise.'

Amarea holds up a finger and comments with a frown, 'I think a slightly more accurate wording would be to remember that your words and behaviors could reflect on the White Tower just as much as an Aes Sedai's might, even though you lack the authority or power to make the same decisions.'

Amarea says 'A novice mouthing off to a member of the Queen's Guard, for example, could harm longstanding diplomatic relationships even though she clearly has no diplomatic authority.'

Amarea says 'That's why novices are generally recommended to listen first, and speak second, and to do the latter cautiously and intentionally.'

Skyra says 'So maybe act the best way I can while knowing that I represent the White Tower in all my activities no matter how small.'

Amarea says 'Yes! Exactly.'

Skyra blushes.

Amarea says 'The lower in position you are, the more leniency you might be granted for making mistakes, at least if you own them and take effort to address them. But the higher you advance, even smaller mistakes have a greater risk of reflecting poorly on the reputation of the White Tower, and of yourself.'

Skyra nods at Amarea.

Amarea smiles softly, 'This is why there is never a better time than as a fledgling novice such as yourself to ask questions, admit ignorance, and try to soak everything up that is presented to you.'

Skyra says 'Yes I understand. I have been doing just that!'

Skyra nods to herself, she must need reassurance.

Amarea smiles reassuringly and nods eagerly. 'I really believe you have been. You've been doing very well, Skyra.'

Skyra sits up straighter and smiles.

Amarea says 'A few points for general behavior and decorum. You are only required to curtsey to Aes Sedai, although some will choose to do it for other Accepted and Gaidin, or even higher-ranking visitors like lords and ladies from other organizations.'

Skyra nods at Amarea.

Amarea says 'Do you have any other specific questions about etiquette or behavior? Anything more I can clarify to help you grow in your time as a novice?'

Skyra says 'I do have more questions. But I know that your time is not unlimited so I will wait until a later date to pester you with them.'

Skyra says 'I really appreciate the time you spent with me today. It was beneficial in more ways than one!'

Skyra clambers to her feet.

Amarea says 'I'm always glad to meet when I have the time.'

Amarea says 'Perhaps you're right, and we should have a different lesson some time that covers the more practical aspects of your training, like deciding which weaves to study and put your effort into.'

Amarea stands up and looks through her bag, skimming for a specific book, then pulls out a small report and hands it to you. 'This is a guide that was written by Sarinda Sedai, a Sitter for the Red Ajah here. She wrote it up with advice for young women like yourself who want to learn more about how to master saidar. It is a good starting point to give you lots of information to answer your other questions, but I'm glad to go over it with you if you can't find her. Or if you find it easier to discuss with an Accepted.'

Amarea says '(https://forums.wotmud.info/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=17489)'

Amarea says 'I need to take off for now, but I hope the rest of your day goes well. The Light favor you, Skyra, and keep you safe.'

Keshara

Re: Show Respect, Not Subservience

Post by Keshara » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:14 pm

I liked seeing the RP in one of the non-standard rooms. Well done!

Awarded Amarea 2 rpqps
Awarded Skyra 1 rpqp

I wanted to award Elmitsu a merit for playing with Trinket, but I did not.

*Reaches down a scratches the ferret between the ears, "Who's a good Trinket? You are!"