Who You Are At Your Heart

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Amarea

Who You Are At Your Heart

Post by Amarea » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:47 pm

Summary:
Aelrena enters the Great Library of the White Tower and happens upon Amarea, engrossed in a research project for Liia Sedai of the Brown Ajah. After Amarea is startled from her work, she shares about some research projects she is working on, and further discusses her growing confidence in her decision about which Ajah to request apprenticeship under. Amarea shares her insights into some recent discoveries about her passions and seeks wisdom from the Brown Sitter about how to make the most important decision of her life with the White Tower to date.

POV: Amarea
Main characters: Amarea, Aelrena
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A Large Reading Room
The large, ovular reading room of the library extends to the south, dotted
with scroll-covered and book-covered desks. The desks are a dark wood,
which matches the furnishings of the walls and shelves. Rows of pictures
hang in dusty frames along the walls. The entirity of the northern wall is
a large, heavily-leaded arched window that overlooks the Tower grounds, one
of the few windows in the building, as light degrades the quality of ink.
[ obvious exits: S ]

Aelrena has arrived from the south.

Aelrena glides into the reading room, her arms laden with tomes as she idly scans her surroundings.

Amarea is engrossed in her work, blonde hair tucked behind her ears as she jots some notes down on a sheet of paper with her quill pen.

Aelrena moves to an open desk, quietly placing her load upon it before slowly and quietly gliding across the room to peer over the Accepted's
shoulder.

Amarea frowns, shaking her head before crossing out a line and then underlining a sentence. The notes appear to include a rudimentary map of Andor, with lines drawn between them at varying angles and mathematical equations that have been written with question marks or scratched out.

Amarea sighs quietly, rubbing a hand at her temple. 'I know there's something here,' she murmurs to herself. 'Maybe if I...'

Aelrena arches one brow, her lips quirking to the side in thought as she silently observes the Accepted. After a moment of observation she clasps her hands at her waist, clearly prepared to watch for an extended period of time.

Amarea turns around to her pack, sitting on the chair beside her, to grab a piece of paper and more ink from her bag. As she does, she suddenly sees the
Brown sister standing behind her, and Amarea yells out in complete shock.

Amarea bellows 'Blood and ashes!'

Amarea blushes furiously.

Aelrena's lips twitch ever so slightly, the expression portraying amusement for those who know to look for it.

Amarea scrambles to her feet and offers a hurried curtsey, her face intentionially lower than usual to hide its scarlet hue out of embarrassment.

Amarea says 'H-hello, Aelrena Sedai. I am so sorry. Beggin' your pardon, but you startled me somethin' fierce. I didn't see you standing there.'

Aelrena bends down, slowly tracing one of the lines along the map, "Unless I miss my guess, you're making calculations to determine the distances and viablity of the travel weave?"

Aelrena's lips twitch again, though she doesn't acknowledge the Accepted's words.

Amarea still blushes, but smiles and nods excitedly. 'Yes, Aes Sedai. I was talking with Liia Sedai recently, and she gave me a puzzle to sort out. I've been quite engrossed in it, but haven't made progress yet on how I want to go about solving it.'

Aelrena's lips twitch up slightly at the corners.

Aelrena nods at Amarea.

Aelrena says 'I noticed.'

Aelrena says 'Tell me about it, you clearly have more than passing interest if you're this engrossed.'

Amarea sits back down at the chair and turns the page, showing Aelrena her work. 'Some other members of the White Tower, including Khahliana Sedai, have worked on a map of what they refer to as leylines, the connections between geographical areas. Liia Sedai told me that she is particularly skilled at use of the Locate, Travel, and Gate weaves, and has found that there is a way to use arithmetic to precisely calculate how well trained you have to be in the weaves in order to successfully reach your intended destination.'

Aelrena nods at Amarea.

Amarea says 'From this, she also has been working on a more extensive map that can allow you to better estimate which zones might be far away in a certain direction, or very far, or extremely far, and so on.'

Aelrena says 'I knew that Liia Sedai was rather skilled with those weaves, though I was unaware of Khaliana Sedai. What is the problem that she has set before you?'

Aelrena arches an eyebrow.

Amarea says 'Well, the problem is that there seems to be a "right" answer on how to calculate the distance, and how to better estimate the direction and orientation of the leylines, and how each geographical zone fits together. But I haven't been able to figure it out yet.'

Amarea says 'She suggested that if I can puzzle out the right way to confirm the distance calculations, I might be able to help her out with her project.'

Aelrena says 'And that's something that you have interest in? Determining the distances of the leylines and the best way to utilize them in order to
travel between the nations?'

Amarea nods excitedly.

Aelrena says 'I see.'

Amarea says 'The project sounds, truly, very fascinating. It's exactly the kind of problem that has captured my interest. It allows me to learn more about the world, using my Talents, and resulting in something that I could actually help produce knowledge for the whole Tower to benefit from.'

Aelrena says 'And the rest of your studies are also progressing well?'

Amarea beams a broad smile from ear to ear.

Amarea isn't in touch with saidar to release anything.

Aelrena says 'You haven't been neglecting your other classes solely to focus upon this research, have you?'

Amarea says 'Oh no, Aes Sedai, not at all. I've completed all of the standard tasks that the Aes Sedai on the third floor offer to Journey Accepted. I apparently missed an impromptu class that Sarinda Sedai led last night on the Red Ajah, but I already read through the transcript that was added to the library this morning.'

Aelrena cocks her head to the side, her umber gaze seeming to weight something as she does so.

Aelrena says 'Please name three nations that formed the Compact of Ten Nations.'

Aelrena looks at Amarea.

Amarea replies quickly, 'Manetheren, of course, perhaps the one I find the most memorable. Coremanda, which includes part of modern day Andor. And Aridhol, which fell to the Shadow, or perhaps something even darker than that.'

Aelrena says 'What was the name of the man who founded the children of the light, and created the philosophy that they study and follow to this day?'

Amarea says 'That would be Lothair Mantelar, Aes Sedai, and his philosophy is 'The Way of the Light.' I haven't been able to read through his treatise, but there is a biography here in the library that tells more about Mantelar and his life.'

Aelrena says 'If you were fleeing a group of shadowspawn, and wished to escape pursuit, which weave would you use and why?'

Amarea ponders the question, leaning back in her chair. 'Me personally, Aes Sedai, using my own training? Or what weaves in general might work?'

Aelrena ponders life, the universe, and everything.

Aelrena says 'I'm unconcerned of your current trainings, use your affinities for the elements, and the weaves that you know are possible in order to create an escape plan most befitting of your capabilities.'

Amarea nods in agreement.

Aelrena adds, almost as an afterthought, "Let us assume that you do not have the time or focus capable to travel before they're upon you."

Amarea says 'Well, I make it a habit to frequently use the Locate Object weave to anticipate Shadowspawn movement. If I saw some were in my immediate area and I did not want to be accosted, I could Travel away. However, if they engaged me first and I were flush from the heat of battle, that weave only works a fraction of the time, so --'

Amarea chuckles politely.

Amarea says 'Ah, yes, in that case, I would probably try first to run from them on horseback, and then use the Refresh weave on my mount to try and move faster than they could find me. I do not currently have training in the Change Weather or Create Fog weaves, but either could instead help me to elude detection safely, the first if I were in a winter area and summoned heavy snowfall, and the latter in any zone by making it too thick to see.'

Aelrena says 'Very well done. '

Aelrena says 'Keep up your studies, Accepted.'

Amarea blushes furiously.

Aelrena moves toward the desk where she has placed her books, her attention already seeming to have moved on.

Amarea says 'Thank you, Aes Sedai. I have to work harder at history because I didn't get much exposure to that when I was growing up. But I find it
interesting, and I am tryin' to soak it all up.'

Amarea asks, 'If you have time, I did actually have a question I was hoping you could try and answer for me.'

Aelrena looks up from where she's settled to read, "Oh? What question is that?"

Amarea says 'I have been dutifully thinking about my passions, skills, and Talents. And while doing each of the tasks that the Aes Sedai upstairs have given me, and my lessons with various Aes Sedai like yourself, I think I have decided that I would like to one day either pursue apprenticeship with either the Brown or the White Ajah.'

Amarea says 'What I was wondering is whether you could share a little more about which Ajahs you were interested in when you were an Accepted, and what helped you make your own decision.'

Amarea says 'It's something I don't think you have shared with me across our previous meetings, Aelrena Sedai.'

Aelrena chuckles politely.

Aelrena says 'What reasons do you think I would have for not sharing something like that, Amarea?'

Amarea blushes and replies hurriedly, 'Oh, I'm sure there could be plenty of reasons for not sharing that, Aes Sedai -- I know the decision is personal, and we have only met a few times, albeit those meetings were very momentous for me -- but I didn't mean to imply you were keeping them from me.'

Amarea says 'I just...I want to know what it feels like to be a sister of the Brown Ajah, and what led you to that. I respect you, Aes Sedai, truly, and your opinions.'

Aelrena says 'No, no, I am not thinking of it as you seeking personal information I do not wish to give, nor do I think of it as prying.'

Aelrena's tone is comforting, but her attention has refocused back to the Accepted, the tomes largely forgotten.

Aelrena says 'What reasons are there to not share such things with Accepted?'

Amarea turns to the table beside her, where some food has been sitting waiting for Amarea to take a break. 'The food here might be a little cool, I forgot to have it when Prime rang, but I have an extra plate for you if you like.'

Amarea is carrying:
a loaf of sugar bread
a loaf of crusty fresh bread
a cup of honeyed tea
a plate with bread and green veined cheese
a plate of roast beef and jacket potatoes

Amarea gives a plate with bread and green veined cheese to Aelrena.

Amarea gives a loaf of sugar bread to Aelrena.

Amarea gives a cup of honeyed tea to Aelrena.

Aelrena tastes a little bit of a loaf of sugar bread.

Aelrena accepts the food with a smile, though after peering curiously into the cup she places it nearly out of reach upon the table.

Amarea sits, taking eager bites from her food, although she tries to do so in a dignified way. As she laps up some of the sauce from her plate with the heel of bread in her hand, she replies, 'Perhaps because you wanted that Accepted to come to her own conclusion, and to think critically about her life and her values, and did not want to influence that thought process.'

Aelrena says 'Those are some reasons, yes.'

Aelrena says 'Revealing where my own considerations lay can also give some idea of my own capabilities, my own predilections. '

Amarea offers with a small smile creeping onto her face, 'Or perhaps you were bored of answering that question so many times?'

Aelrena stifles a laugh behind her hand.

Aelrena says 'Perhaps.'

Amarea chews on her bread again and says, 'Perhaps I can find another way to ask it that will be more helpful to me, while mitigating most of those concerns.'

Aelrena's eye seems to twitch ever so slightly. Was that a wink or merely a facial tic?

Amarea swallows and explains, 'I have discovered through working on a few of these projects recently that I greatly enjoy researching things about the nature of this world and the Pattern itself. I read through Sarinda Sedai's reports on her efforts to study the weather, for example, and recently tried to dig into nuances of the Locate weaves and their patterns. But it's not just about solving puzzles. I enjoy learning things and understanding how they work, especially to share with other people.'

Aelrena nods at Amarea.

Aelrena says 'A remarkable discovery to have about oneself, surely. It helps you to determine exactly who you are at your heart.'

Amarea says 'Liia Sedai had a post in the library some months ago looking for help on calculating variables that feed into success at status ailment
weaves.'

Aelrena nods at Amarea.

Amarea says 'Helping with projects like that, or creating an expansive map of the leylines that includes distances between them, would be such a personal reward, but also something I could give back to the White Tower to assist others with the knowledge I've learned.'

Amarea says 'The challenge I am finding is that I can't decide if the Brown Ajah or the White Ajah would be better suited to help me grow in that thought process, and to provide the space to nurture those interests, now and for the years ahead.'

Aelrena nods at Amarea.

Amarea says 'So, my question is this: In your mind, what are some of the different ways the Brown Ajah and the White Ajah might help me to grow into the woman I was meant to be, if those are my passions and goals?'

Amarea says 'Because I'm finding both to be quite viable, at least based on what I know about each Ajah, and I am struggling to evaluate the differences between them.'

Aelrena says 'Only such a question as that then?'

Aelrena says 'Perhaps it would be easier to say this.'

Amarea says 'I am excited, so I suppose I am thinking grandly at the moment.'

Aelrena says 'The Brown Ajah is focused upon creating and maintain a foundation of knowledge which helps to guide us not just now, but in the years and centuries to come. We often find ourselves to be engrossed with research, the collection of ter'angreal and angreal, along with other such endeavours. We seek to discover concrete information in order to move forward.'

Amarea's eyes light up with curiosity.

Aelrena says 'The White Ajah, in my experience, is often concerned less about what is concrete, but instead about concepts which are more ephemeral. Mathematics, Philosophy, the specifics of meditation, even Astronomy are all examples of this.'

Aelrena says 'Often the White Ajah deals in things that are... more open to debate and consideration than what is rooted entirely in fact.'

Amarea ponders life, the universe, and everything.

Aelrena says 'Which they then find a way to consider, and root into reality through a basis of fact.'

Amarea nods slowly in thought. 'I think the White Ajah would still offer training in research, but perhaps with more focus on the process for how that information was obtained, and appreciation for the method performed well and logically, and the actual conclusions being secondary to that perhaps.'

Aelrena says 'Exactly.'

Amarea adds, 'Though, to be fair, I still haven't been able to meet with Alison Sedai or another White sister in the past few weeks to ask this question. I still intend to, before I make my choice.'

Aelrena nods at Amarea.

Aelrena says 'Making a decision before you have all the relevant information is seldom fruitful, but remember that there comes a time that you'll have all the information, and you're merely putting the decision off.'

Aelrena says 'There's a relevant quote from a famous general, if you happen to find it in your studies and write about it and it's meaning to me, I'll
award you properly.'

Amarea says 'It feels like a rather momentous decision, even though I know all of the Ajahs perform very meaningful work.'

Amarea's eyes light up with curiosity.

Amarea says 'That sounds like another puzzle.'

Amarea says 'One that requires less math, I hope.'

Amarea grins playfully.

Aelrena says 'Perhaps'

Aelrena says 'Though I'm certain there are some who would find a way to make math relevant to the assignment'

Amarea grins, 'A cipher, perhaps, to index the book for easy reference later.'

Aelrena says 'If you're using a mathematical cipher, that is certainly a method I suppose.'

Aelrena chuckles politely.

Aelrena says 'Did you have any other questions for me, Accepted?'

Amarea pauses, contemplating the question, then shakes her head. 'No, I think you've given me what I asked of you and then some, Aelrena Sedai.'

Amarea offers genuinely, 'Thank you.'

Aelrena says 'You're always welcome, Amarea. You need only find me to ask questions.'

Aelrena turns her attention back to the tomes upon her desk.

Lys

Re: Who You Are At Your Heart

Post by Lys » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:35 pm

Awarded 4qps

Chloro

Re: Who You Are At Your Heart

Post by Chloro » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:47 pm

Rplizer +1 qps : +
Extra meticulous edit +1 qps : +
Length bonus +1-2 qps : -
Summary: +1 qps : +

Awards: