We All Have our Talents

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Amarea

We All Have our Talents

Post by Amarea » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:39 pm

Summary:
Amarea and Melosa discuss a task that Melosa has received from Evaine Sedai to learn more about items of the Power, including angreal and ter'angreal, with suggestions to seek out a sister of the Brown Ajah for their expertise. The two notice that Liia Sedai is awake and corner her in the Brown Ajah quarters, and discuss the nature of such items as well as Talents for the One Power. After Melosa leaves, Amarea talks with Liia more privately about the implications of research and some of her concerns about how information gleaned from well-intentioned studies can be misused, especially those who serve the Shadow, and how the Brown Ajah works to safeguard such knowledge.

POV: Amarea
Main characters: Amarea, Liia, Melosa

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Study of the Brown Ajah
Tall, arched windows in the northern wall open to a balcony, providing a
choice view of the Erinin as it flows south from the Borderlands. Half the
seating in the room is drawn up around the windows, showing that the
occupants appreciate the panorama. The remaining seats are drawn up in
circles of six to eight, allowing Brown Sisters to discuss the furtherance
of knowledge, or new theories in an informal atmosphere. Colorful wall
hangings depicting still lifes decorate the pale white walls.
[ obvious exits: S ]
A large desk made of fine, thick wood stands across the room from here.
Melosa Rochaid, Wearied Novice is standing here.
Lady Liia Averon, Brown Cartographer is standing here.
A silver-haired Aes Sedai sits here, reading.
A Brown Sister is here, frowning pensively.
Danelle Sedai, sitter for the Brown Ajah stands here deep in thought.

Liia closes the carveddoor.
Amarea curtseys before Liia.

Melosa curtseys before Danelle Sedai.

Amarea says 'Oh, I am so sorry Aes Sedai! I was just writing a letter to send to you, but it appears that is not necessary.'

Amarea gives a sheet of paper to Liia.

Amarea blushes furiously.

Liia gestures at the door with her hand.

The door silently swings shut and lock with a soft *click*.

Liia says 'Be on your guard, just because the door is locked does not mean it is entirely safe.'

Melosa says 'Thank you for your time, Liia Sedai'

Melosa nods in agreement.

Amarea sets down a tray of food prepared with three plates of food, loaves of bread, and cups of tea for
the women in the room. 'And a cup of wine for you, Aes Sedai, in case you enjoy that.'

Melosa says 'Yes, I notice that there are dark corners in this room'

Melosa thinks hard.

Amarea puts a goblet of robust red wine in a desk.
Amarea puts a loaf of crusty fresh bread in a desk.
Amarea puts a bread filled with raisins and nuts in a desk.
Amarea puts a bread filled with raisins and nuts in a desk.
Amarea puts a cup of honeyed tea in a desk.
Amarea puts a cup of honeyed tea in a desk.
Amarea puts a cup of mint and cloudberry tea in a desk.
Amarea puts a plate of kippered eel in a desk.
Amarea puts a plate of hot stew with some bread in a desk.
Amarea puts a plate with bread and green veined cheese in a desk.

Liia sweeps around behind the desk and motions for you to take a seat. 'Please, no need to stand all night.'

Liia grins evilly.

Amarea sits down.

Melosa sits down.

Liia says 'Thank you Amarea, for the refreshments.'

Amarea shifts her pose and is now sitting here, listening while slowly eating a meal.

Amarea beams a broad smile from ear to ear.

Melosa clears her throat nervously.

Melosa says 'Thank you again for your time, Liia Sedai'

Liia gently lifts a cup of tea to her mouth and takes a long sip.

Liia beams a smile at Melosa.

Melosa says 'As I was saying earlier, Evaine Sedai had set me an assignment to learn more about angreal.'

Liia says 'I am always happy to help our initiates with their studies where i can.'

Amarea says 'There is a weave that I learned inadvertently as a wilder, and it softens the dough just right so the bread I make comes out perfectly.'

Melosa says 'She was kind enough to share her knowledge with me some days ago and even guided me to channel through one.'

Liia says 'An interesting choice to study. A *dangerous* thing to study.'

Melosa says 'And so she asked that I speak to one of the Brown Ajah whose knowledge of such artifacts surely surpasses all'

Liia smiles kindly at Amarea.

Melosa says 'Ah, it was more of a curiosity '

Amarea says 'I have only seen one or two angreal myself, Aes Sedai, and a few ter'angreal.'

Melosa says 'And to be truthful, I did not want to inadvertently channel into one and be possibly injured or worse. '

Liia nods at Amarea and Melosa in turn.

Melosa says 'Accepted Amarea was interested in the topic as well and so here we are'

Melosa smiles happily.

Amarea nods at Melosa.

Liia says 'Tell me... how is it that you might recognize an angreal or ter'angreal if you saw one?'

Liia says 'There are many kinds.'

Melosa says 'Evaine Sedai mentioned something about resonance. But I must admit, I did not feel such resonance with the one I had touched.'

Amarea's eyes light up with curiosity.

Amarea says 'Oh! I think I have felt something like this before.'

Liia says 'You have?'

Amarea explains, 'I was sitting in the warders' practice yard, looking through the rack there for random baubles, and I saw this most beautiful necklace of fire sapphires.'

Liia nods slowly, knowingly.

Amarea says 'I picked it up, and when I was holding it, I felt almost a sort of...intimacy with it. Like there was a quiet connection, between me and it. It was easy to miss, but when I was embracing the Source, I felt it most strongly.'

Amarea says 'I brought it to an Aes Sedai...I think it was Tolza Sedai, or maybe Penzei Sedai? And when I showed it to her, she said it was an angreal attuned to saidar.'

Liia says 'In this case you were correct. There is a necklace of fire sapphire that is known to have these properties.'

Liia says 'Angreal are not common items.'

Amarea nods thoughtfully.

Liia says 'However, they may appear to be at first glance. Many are unassuming. Trinkets or small figurines that a farmer might keep on his mantle, not knowing its true purpose.'

Melosa says 'I imagine that they were more common during the Age of Legends but less so in this.'

Liia nods at Melosa.

Liia says 'We have read that many objects of great power, strong angreal, and even stronger sa'angreal have existed in the past.'

Liia says 'Unfortunately the talent for their crafting has been lost over the many years.'

Amarea can't help but smile excitedly and sigh. 'Oh, to be able to make them, or even just find one, would be so fascinating. Is it true that an angreal can enhance the amount of the One Power you can safely wield?'

Liia grins at Amarea.

Melosa says 'Perhaps we will soon rediscover the Talent just like how we seem to have rediscovered Foretelling'

Liia says 'Some only allow for an extra trickle of strength. Others, could allow feats that multiple channelers combined would be required otherwise.'

Liia says 'We can only hope.'

Amarea says 'I find the concept of Talents very fascinating, in general.'

Liia says 'In the meantime, we try to gather all that we find, to store safely in the Tower.'

Liia says 'We all have our talents, Accepted.'

Melosa pips up unprompted, "Oh yes and mine is burning things!"

Melosa looks stunned by the unprompted outburst.

Melosa says 'Forgiveness, Liia Sedai.'

Melosa blushes.

Liia quickly stifles a laugh, regaining her serious composure.

Amarea accidentally snorts as she drinks her tea, and tries to hide a smile.

Amarea coughs loudly.

Liia says 'Not everyone here has an affinity toward Fire.'

Liia says 'That can be a gift... as long as you are careful with it...'

Liia shoots Melosa a look.

Melosa says 'I am learning and glad for the guidance of my instructors'

Liia says 'We wouldn't want a fire to catch in the Library.'

Amarea admits sheepishly, 'You are right, Liia Sedai. My own ability with Fire is so weak that I struggle to do more than light a candle with it.'

Liia looks at Amarea archly.

Liia says 'I am sure you have talents of your own?'

Amarea nods in agreement.

Amarea says 'I have an unusually strong affinity for Earth. Sheriam Sedai says I have the more common Talent of Earth Singing, and I can make earthquakes by channeling Earth into the ground.'

Liia says 'That is interesting...'

Amarea says 'Catisune suggested that I might have a Talent for Delving, the kind that helps you find ores and metals, although it's a part of my abilities I have not yet tried to test or explore.'

Amarea blushes and adds quickly, 'Catisune Sedai, I mean.'

Liia says 'One with a talent for Fire, and one with a talent for Earth. Both tend to be less common on the Saidar side of the source.'

Amarea says 'I also seem to have a natural knack for the Locate and Travel weaves. I've found myself drawn to them and can pick up objects extremely far away better than most.'

Liia says 'Before we stray too far off topic, I'd like to circle back around to angreal.'

Liia nods at Melosa.

Amarea blushes and quiets with a nod, murmuring an apology before taking a few more bites of freshly baked bread.

Liia says 'You have mentioned working with Evaine Sedai with an angreal.'

Liia says 'Do you remember its description?'

Melosa says 'It was a small crystalline circlet, the type you could wear on your fingers of sorts'

Liia says 'Ah!'

Liia looks pleased.

Liia says 'That is an exceptionally handy one for an Aes Sedai.'

Liia says 'Not too flashy, subtle, but it has served me well for long periods of time.'

Amarea listens attentively, a curious expression on her face.

Liia says 'So we have a necklace of fire sapphire and a crystalline circlet.'

Liia says 'The necklace is one that is fairly weak in comparison. But definitely helpful in a pinch.'

Liia says 'Do either of you know of others?'

Liia unlocks a small desk drawer and pulls out an ancient, yellowed scrap of parchment.

Melosa says 'Evaine Sedai spoke of Vora's sa'angreal which she saw once as a Novice'

Liia's eyes scan down the list quickly as she listens.

Melosa says 'But I've not seen any myself personally beyond the crystalline angreal.'

Melosa says 'I shall keep an eye out once I am able to travel about again'

Amarea frowns, contemplating the question. 'I recovered an item for Tolza Sedai that had been picked up by some awful butchering bandits northwest of the city. But I think it was a ter'angreal, not an angreal.'

Liia says 'Well, I suppose I should help you identify the ones that are more common from the Age of Legends, so that you can be safe around them.'

Liia says 'Amarea, can you describe it for me?'

Amarea says 'It looked like a curved silver fragment, engraved with patterns of leaves on its surface.'

Liia nods.

Amarea says 'It looked like silver, only it seemd to be resistant to scratching or marking indentations the way silver usually can be.'

Liia says 'That is one that is harmless. There are others that are also safe, and the Tower does not restrict their use. Crystal rods that produce a bright light are well known, although not common.'

Liia says 'Another one, much rarer, is a rod that blinds.'

Amarea notes the crystal lightstick in the Aes Sedai's hands and admires it with a small whistle.

Liia shows a crystal lightstick to Melosa.

Liia shows a crystal lightstick to Amarea.

Liia puts a crystal lightstick in a backpack.

Amarea says 'Oh! I think Erulisse Sedai showed me that one! The kind that blinds.'

Liia says 'That, like some ter'angreal don't even require channeling to use.'

Liia says 'As for what we normally think of as angreal:'

Liia references the list in her hand again.

Liia says 'There is an ivory figurine, a wood carving of a bear, and a disc of moonstone.'

Amarea nods, committing the names and descriptions to memory.

Liia says 'Also, a sculpted statuette, and a greenish translucent sphere.'

Liia says 'You may come across any one of these.'

Liia says 'If you do, while not immediately dangerous, they should be returned to an Aes Sedai for safekeeping.'

Liia pauses as if remembering something.

Melosa says 'Certainly, Liia Sedai'

Liia says 'I do not have it here, it is stored away, but I also recently came across a new one. Exceptionally rare and strong.'

Liia says 'a dark ivory carving of a robed woman.'

Melosa says 'Ah, so much to explore in the world'

Liia says 'There may be more angreal of other types out there. Melosa, can you tell me of another type? Perhaps one that none in the Tower have a use for, but we need to keep an eye on, lest they fall into dangerous hands?'

Melosa says 'The Age of Legends must have been a wondrous time to be alive.'

Liia pulls out of the drawer a second list.

Melosa mulls over Liia's question carefully.

Melosa says 'Perhaps, those meant for the male half of the One Power?'

Liia nods at Melosa.

Liia says 'Exactly!'

Liia says 'While we cannot use them, they are also dangerous. Especially in the hands of men doomed to go mad.'

Amarea's mind drifts, and she temporarily loses focus on the conversation. :oops:

Liia says 'Imagine one male wielding the power of many Aes Sedai!'

Melosa shivers slightly at the thought of maddened male channelers.

Liia says 'Possibly the two most notorious and recognizable artifacts are a jade carving of an old man, and a many faceted stone.'

Liia says 'But there are others.'

Liia says 'I personally, along with some of my sisters have categorized a number of others.'

Liia says 'A carved ivory pyramind, a small crystalline globe, a short thick rod.'

Liia says 'One even, shaped as a small stone dagger.'

Liia says 'Fitting, a male angreal taking the form of a weapon.'

Melosa says 'I dread to even imagine if there are even more powerful angreal out there but there surely must be'

Melosa says 'After all, that must be part of how the Breaking happened the way it did'

Liia says 'There is one that I have only laid eyes on once. A short, fat man angreal. Luckily a circle of sisters captured the male that wielded it before he could do too much damage.'

Liia says 'I will not pretend to think that is an exhaustive list, but if you ever have any doubt, you can always bring an angreal or ter'angreal to one of our sisters for testing.'

Liia says 'better safe than sorry.'

Liia smiles slightly.

Melosa says 'I will certainly do so, Liia Sedai'

Melosa says 'As enjoyable Tar Valon is... one does yearn to see open fields again.'

Liia says 'Do you have any different questions on objects of the One Power? Have I sufficiently answered the questions that Evaine Sedai wanted you to seek?'

Liia says 'My research takes me far and wide across the world.'

Melosa says 'Yes Liia Sedai'

Melosa says 'Evaine Sedai simply asked for me to seek greater knowledge from the Brown Ajah'

Melosa says 'And it has been more than insightful'

Liia returns the two old pieces of parchment to the drawer, closes it, and locks it again.

Melosa says 'Especially being able to now put a name to possible objects of Power'

Liia says 'If you have further questions on the subject, or other subjects, please, don't hesitate to reach out.'

Melosa says 'Thank you Liia Sedai'

Melosa says 'We have taken too much of your valuable time'

Melosa clambers to her feet.

Liia chuckles politely.

Liia says 'My time is well spent when helping teach.'

Melosa smiles happily.

Liia looks at Amarea.

Melosa says 'By your leave, Liia Sedai'

Liia nods at Melosa.

Melosa says 'And should we have any doubts about an item being an angreal'

Melosa says 'I will certainly be right at your door'

Liia says 'Of course, you may return to your chores.'

Liia gestures with her hand.

Liia smiles happily.

The door smoothly swings open.

Melosa curtseys before Liia.

Liia says 'I look forward to it'

Melosa leaves south. vv

Liia gestures at the door with her hand.

The door silently swings shut and lock with a soft *click*.

Liia looks at Amarea.

Liia waves her hand in front of Amarea's face, saying, "Hello...Anyone home in there?"

Liia chuckles politely.

Amarea says 'My apologies, Aes Seda. I was lost in thought about something.'

Liia says 'I know the feeling.'

Amarea bites her lips, and asks, 'If I may take up a little more of your time, there is something I was hoping to seek some advice about that I think you may be able to help me with.'

Liia arches an eyebrow.

Liia says 'Oh?'

Amarea says 'I believe I may have a Talent for the weaves that allow me to locate items and people with the One Power, and to Travel to them. Sheriam Sedai has noted to me that she has only seen a few women who can sense items as far away as I can, and...I have been studying the weaves, and I think I might be onto something about the patterns they reveal, and the connections to items around me.'

Liia says 'You're in luck. It is a topic close to my heart.'

Liia says 'Something that I have studied deeply.'

Amarea smiles, nodding eagerly. 'I had heard as much, and I was excited to see you awake so I might ask you about it.'

Liia says 'What questions do you have?'

Amarea nods and continues, 'The more I have studied this weave, the more it has gotten me thinking about the potential ramifications for unearthing knowledge, or finding something that could potentially be put to the wrong use.'

Liia says 'Knowledge is power, it is said. There is some truth in that.'

Amarea says 'There are several dreadlords who have been dangerous and seen around the world, especially Axxye and Mikhan. The thought of discovering something, only for that knowledge to somehow find its way into the hands of the Shadow...'

Amarea shivers uncomfortably.

Liia nods gravely.

Liia says 'There is knowledge that the Tower restricts to the Aes Sedai only, for a reason.'

Liia says 'And some still, that is only known to the Brown.'

Amarea looks around the room, a thoughtful expression on her face, and she smiles faintly.

Amarea says 'How do you know what knowledge is safe to share, and what should be kept secret?'

Liia says 'That is a tricky question. There is a lot of nuance.'

Liia says 'For example, what I might consider critical and dangerous might seem harmless to another.'

Liia says 'For example, a heron-marked blade in the hands of a warder is much more dangerous than in my hands.'

Liia says 'An illuminator might be able to use his fireworks and powders safely, but a commoner, without the prior knowledge, could end up dead!'

Amarea grimaces.

Liia says 'To continue my thought from a second ago'

Amarea says 'Those are good points, Aes Sedai, and they give me pause as I consider how knowledge could be used.'

Amarea says 'Sometimes I get so excited about researching things, that I find myself chatting about it with others around me, and I have a hard time containing my interest.'

Amarea says 'But...I hadn't considered until today how sometimes that information could be dangerous, if placed in the wrong hands.'

Amarea frowns concernedly, a worried look on her face.

Liia says 'There are not many areas of research that would be so dangerous, but there are some.'

Liia says 'Is there a reason why this concerns you lately?'

Amarea shifts in her chair, a contemplative expression on her face, and she looks around the room briefly before continuing.

Liia leans her elbows on the desk in front of her, fingers locked under her chin.

Amarea leans forward, an excited look in her eyes but lowering her voice in a conspiratory whisper, 'Aes Sedai, I...think I might be onto something with the Locate weaves. I think I might dive deeper into researching them, and see if there is any sort of pattern to them. I feel like I might be on the cusp of making a discovery that would change my understanding of them greatly.'

Liia arches an eyebrow.

Liia says 'Intriguing, and I'd be curious to see your research on the topic to compare to my own notes.'

Liia says 'I have a few volumes stored away in one of the depositories.'

Liia says 'This is some detailed work for merely an Accepted.'

Amarea says 'Aes Sedai, I have spent the past few weeks since achieving the title of Accepted wondering my place in this world, in the White Tower. I've met with Aes Sedai from every Ajah, and discussed with them their interest and how their Ajah may or may not line up with my own.'

Amarea says 'Nothing I have read about or talked about has gripped me like this before. I've been so excited about the discovery process, the mere possibility that it could work, that I've been missing out on sleep.'

Liia grins evilly.

Amarea says 'Which is...why I started to lose focus earlier, while I was listening to you and Melosa speak. I do apologize about that.'

Liia says 'Ah, I have experienced much the same myself.'

Amarea says 'But if you have any books, any knowledge, on this topic that I could borrow, I would greatly appreciate the chance to borrow it.'

Liia says 'Trying to solve a complex problem, pulling the threads, to find more threads, not wanting to stop until you reach the end. I have felt it many times.'

Amarea says 'And if this is what the life of a Brown sister might feel like...Well, I could find the prospects of that to be very tempting.'

Liia says 'Perhaps Brown might suit you after all...'

Liia eyes you up and down.

Liia says 'I may have some volumes that you might find useful.'

Amarea nods eagerly. 'Yes, please, anything.'

Liia says 'Keep in mind, these books will not answer all of your questions.'

Liia says 'In fact, they may pose many more that you have not yet considered.'

Amarea chuckles politely.

Liia says 'But as I have told others in the past, the best learning comes when you take the journey yourself.'

Amarea says 'I think I understand what you mean.'

Liia says 'I could tell you all that I know, but then that would not prove that you have a researcher's mind. Maybe my path was not the same path, and you could arrive at the same destination a different way, adding more to the tapestry of knowledge.'

Liia smiles kindly.

Liia says 'Follow me, and I will retrieve you some books on the subject.'

Amarea now follows Liia.

Liia says 'And as always, I'm happy to be a sounding board, maybe save you some time running down dead ends.'

Amarea says 'I will do my best not to let you down, Aes Sedai, and to push myself to the limits of what I know and what I can discover.'

Amarea is now a member of Liia's group.

Liia gestures with her hand.

Liia leads the two of them to a large apartment nearby to confer with Saerin.

A Large Apartment
The most prominent feature of the large apartment at the end of the hall is
the large balcony accessible to the north. A latched door mechanism allows
a large sheet of high-quality glass to slide across the entrance to the
balcony, as well as keeping the room very open and providing light from the
outside sky to filter into the room. A huge four-poster bed has been placed
along the east wall, and a full set of matching mahogany furniture, carved
in exotic twists, occupies the rest of the room. Pastoral scenes in
mahogany frames that match the furniture complete the decor. The only
exits are out onto the balcony, or through the door to the west.
[ obvious exits: W ]
Tucked away in the corner, a stone chest collects untold ages of dust.
Saerin Asnobar, Aes Sedai of the Brown Ajah stands here.

Amarea murmurs with a grin, 'Light, there are so many books!'

Amarea opens up the first tome and begins to pore through it.

Amarea is carrying:
a book on locates volume 1
a book on locates volume 12
a book on locates volume 13
a book on locates volume 14
a book on locates volume 15
a book on locates volume 11
a book on locates volume 3
a book on locates volume 4
a book on locates volume 5
a book on locates volume 6
a book on locates volume 7
a book on locates volume 8
a book on locates volume 9
a book on locates volume 10
a book on locates volume 2

Amarea whistles appreciatively.

Amarea says 'Oh, Aes Sedai, this is a treasure you've given me.'

Liia smiles happily.

Liia says 'Be careful with those.'

Liia says 'Try to not just leave them, uh, lying about'

Liia says 'And return them when you are done.'

Liia says 'I may have to retire for the night.'

Liia says 'But I do wish you luck with your research.'

Liia says 'Please follow up with me if you have questions.'

Amarea says 'If I make a discovery, I will reach out to you, or contact you with questions.'

Amarea curtseys before Liia.

Chloro

Re: We All Have our Talents

Post by Chloro » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:36 pm

Rplizer +1 qps :
Extra meticulous edit +1 qps : +
Length bonus +1-2 qps :
Summary: +1 qps : +

Awards:
Amarea 2
Melosa 1
Liia 1