Helen Makes New Friends Part 1

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Helen

Helen Makes New Friends Part 1

Post by Helen » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:23 am

Summary: Helen, the Blind Accepted, wakes up to much hustle and bustle in the Well. She eventually becomes acquainted with several other Accepted, creating new friendships. After much discussion, gossip, and jokes the other Accepteds agree to give Helen a tour and help her with tasks she cannot do blindly.

(This is the first part of an over 100 page log. Other parts will be posted when I can find the time to edit it all.)

POV: Helen

Major Characters: Helen, Elmitsu, Aleera, Amarea

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the Well
This is the space that Tower initiates live. Being blind, Helen has little idea of what it looks like, only that she calls it home.
Multiple voices indicate the presence of several individuals.

Helen yawns as she crawls out of bed.

Helen can hear the chamber-door opening and closing as multiple people move about.

Faint whispers can be heard, though Helen cannot make out what is being said.

Helen feels the flows of Saidar coursing through her body.

Someone1 says 'I don't have much time unfortunately, just taking a break from my studies to briefly test something.'

Helen grabs her cane from near her bed with a yawn and stares blankly in the general direction of the others present, "Morning friends."

Someone2 can be heard moving, "But at least let me get a proper look at you. I haven't had a chance since you claimed the ring."

Helen senses Someone1 connecting to the True Source.

Helen can sense the two voices coming close together. Are they hugging?

Someone can be heard dragging Someone to their feet.

Are they hugging again?

Someone3 speaks up, a smile evident in her voice "Yes, congratulations."

Someone2 says 'My congratulations are overdue, but they are heartfelt, at least.'

Someone1 says 'Thank you both very much!'

Someone2 calls over to Helen from the little trio, "I don't think we've met. I'm Elmitsu."

Helen says 'Hello Elmitsu. I'm Helen.'

Helen blindly smiles.

Elmitsu says 'Have you met my friends? This is Aleera and Amarea.'

Someone1 says 'Hello, Helen. My name is Amarea Helsen, from Lugard. I don't think we have met before.'

Helen gets the usual feeling that occurs when someone tries to gesture in front of her, was it Elmitsu?

Helen says 'Hello Amarea Helsen from Lugard, I don't believe we've met either or I'd recognize your voice. It is a pleasure to meet you though.'

Helen says 'I haven't seen so many people here in... well ever.'

Helen giggles.

Elmitsu's embarrassment is palpable, but she recovers her good humor quickly.

Amarea’s embarrassment is palpable.

Someone3 suggests, "Don't say that too loudly or they'll have all of us with extra chores."

Helen grins evilly.

Helen says 'I take it you're the one they call Aleera. A pleasure to meet you too.'

Elmitsu giggles at Aleera's jape, "You are right about that. We are only meant for garden parties if we're serving the wine."

Helen says, 'So many new voices, it warms my heart.'

Aleera confirms that for Helen, "Indeed. I'm pleased to meet you as well."

Amarea says 'Helen, I don't mean to be rude, but I wanted to ask. Are you...well, blind?'

Helen says, 'Blind as a tree, but far more capable.'

Helen nods to herself in a reassuring manner.

Helen says, 'Your question is far from rude, so don't worry.'

Elmitsu's makes a sound like a gasp but cuts it off quickly.

Amarea's curiosity is palpable.

Elmitsu says 'I imagine channeling blind is even more difficult than managing a block.'

Amarea can be heard nodding.

Helen says 'Oh, it's not hard at all.'

Amarea says 'Yes, how does that affect your ability to channel?'

Elmitsu adds, as a companion to her previous statement, "Amarea and I both had blocks, so perhaps we can sympathize."

Amarea can be heard nodding.

Helen says 'I think many of you *choose* to see the flows. But I don't need to see to sense them. It's never been an impediment to my
ability.'

Aleera can be heard shuffling closer.

Helen says 'With practice I imagine you could channel with your eyes close, or vision blocked too.'

Elmitsu says 'How perfectly clever.'

Amarea says, 'I can, although some things are certainly harder. '

Helen says 'What is hard today can be made easy tomorrow with practice, practice, practice'

Helen says 'Of course, I have a natural advantage, but don't let that discourage you.'

Elmitsu's laughter comes easily and as if bidden by Helen, "More capable than a
tree indeed."

Amarea says, 'Were you born this way, or did it happen during your lifetime?'

Helen says, 'I was born this way.'

Amarea nods slowly. 'So, it can't be Healed, then, can it?'

Helen says 'That is correct, Amarea. Can't fix what was never broken.'

Elmitsu proclaims as if she were unwinding a scroll in the Square, "I am glad we met you today, Helen. I think we are all going to be fast friends."

Aleera joins Elmitsu, first with some laughter, and then with an added, "Quite so."

Helen says, 'I sure hope so, it's been a while since I've met new faces, I do wonder my old friends have gone.'

Elmitsu confesses, "These are. . . my only friends. So. You are in good company."

Helen says 'Well lucky for you, you have another.'

Helen says with humor in her voice, 'And a great one too, I might add.'

Helen channels a weave of earth and spirit, which spreads out around her and over nearby objects before dissipating. She now has a
better sense of where things are in the Well.

Elmitsu nods with such force that her teeth nearly clack, 'I think so! Sadly, I did not squirrel away any wine when I was -bad-, so we have nothing with which to commemorate the occasion."

Elmitsu can be sensed looking longingly around the room.

Helen says 'Nothing that can't be fixed with a run to the kitchen.'

Helen smirks

Amarea falls down laughing.

Elmitsu lets out a small laugh, equal parts sly and sweet. A heady combination.

Aleera says, "I saw a bottle downstairs the other day. It appeared to have found its way behind some of some other, much less
commonly used stock."

Amarea says 'I don't have much time for wine, unfortunately. But it was good to meet you.'

Helen says 'It was good to meet you too, Amarea. I hope to see you around again.'

Elmitsu says 'Don't be a stranger, Amarea. I haven't even heard about how you broke your block, only that you did.'

Helen smiles happily.

Elmitsu can be heard hugging Amarea.

Aleera says, "Be well, Amarea."

Amarea says, 'I am hoping to do some research on the Locate weaves later.'

Elmitsu says out of the corner of her mouth to Helen, "Hope in one hand, and nuts in the other, and I think you'd just have nuts."

Helen quietly replies, 'My father used to say something similar, though it involved excrement.'

Helen giggles.

Elmitsu laughs even louder than she might normally, head pitched back with the force of it.

Amarea continues 'I think I may be onto something about them. Perhaps it is my Talent expressing itself, or maybe it is something else.'

Helen says ‘Well isn’t that interesting; I'd love to hear the results of your research.'

Elmitsu says 'Yes. If you need any help, please let us know. I can distract you at the -very- least.'

Helen snickers softly.

Helen imagines Elmitsu as a tiny bad-idea fairy on Amarea’s shoulder.

Aleera nods agreement, "Yes, if I can be of any assistance, don't hesitate to ask.’

Helen says 'I would also be more than happy to help you wherever I can.'

Another presence comes out from between the bunkbeds.

Elmitsu says 'Light keep you, Coshe! We are accidentally having a little party.'

Elmitsu amends, "But there is no wine, so don't get -too- excited."

Amarea says 'Thank you all. I will let you know!'

Coshe can be heard snickering.

Coshe can be heard leaving the room.

Amarea says 'Aleera, I hope to meet with you again soon, too. I wanted to ask you more about your apprenticeship.'

Aleera responds amiably, "Of course."

Amarea can be heard departing.

Elmitsu shares a little morsel of gossip with Helen, "I believe her mentor Aelrena Sedai has but recently returned to the Tower after
some time away."

Helen says 'Interesting.'

Helen says 'What other gossip do you have to share?'

Helen leans towards Elmitsu, eagerness plain as day upon her face.

Aleera chuckles and softly shares, "Well, there was some talk of a foolish Accepted jaunting off to Bandar Eban."

Helen says 'Oooh.'

Elmitsu seems disappointed in her own mental inventory, “Well, I don't have -much.- But maybe you can help with that. If we don't have any to share, perhaps we should make some."

Helen 's face practically lights up.

Helen says 'I do enjoy making trouble.'

Helen says 'Especially where the Aes Sedai can't see it happening.'

Elmitsu lowers her voice for dramatic effect, though clearly she's pitched it enough that the other two Accepted can still hear her, "Yes, I agree. I must be a little more circumspect these days as I have been -reformed.-"

Helen snorts.

Helen says 'Clearly.'

Aleera nudges Elmitsu with a soft, "I went to bat with Sarinda Sedai the other evening, so please do be circumspect."

Elmitsu can be heard leaning closely towards Aleera as she says airily, "Oh, you know I am only teasing. I have to show off a little for our new friend, but I have mostly left the past behind me in a drawer with my burnt Novice dress."

Aleera echoes, "Mostly." There’s a smile in her tone.

Elmitsu taps Aleera's elbow fondly, "You get it."

Helen crosses her arms with a faux air of authority, a mocking impression of an Aes Sedai to be sure, "It's a good thing you have reformed, you know you're an Accepted now, you should set an example."

Helen laughs in amusement with herself.

Elmitsu represses the evident desire to cackle at Helen’s joke, "I have often been used as an example in these Halls, though perhaps not the one for model behavior."

The momentary silence suggests Elmitsu is reminiscing about something…perhaps a switching by Sheriam Sedai? "But have you been studying with an Ajah, Helen?"

Helen says 'I have not, I still have studies to do, and I've been asleep for so long
that I imagine much has changed'

Aleera nods at Helen's response, "It can certainly be a whirl here."

Elmitsu says 'If you need any help re-acclimating, will you let us know?'

Helen says, 'I certainly wouldn't say no to any assistance.'

Helen says 'But I imagine I need to get Sheriam to recognize me again, I think they think I'm some new novice or something.’

The sound of people coming and going can be heard.

Helen says 'Kennira won't even let me through the door over there last I checked.'

Elmitsu says 'Yes. I think you'll have to enter at Dian until you get it sorted.'

Helen has been impatiently waiting for such to happen.

Helen says 'Most frustrating, she should recognize my face if I can recognize her.'

Helen crosses her arms in a pout.

Elmitsu murmurs something about “common courtesy" as she offers her agreement.

Aleera concurs with great certainty, "Indeed, that's a bit rude. There is probably some arcane regulation buried somewhere, which she'd cite chapter and verse."

Elmitsu says 'I have always found it is the spirit rather than the letter that is best to be obeyed.' There a sly smile to her tone.

Aleera says, "I think that is the expectation," with a grin in her voice, "but they would absolutely cite the letter if it suited them."
Helen falls down laughing.

Helen says 'If you make me laugh any harder the Aes Sedai might come and check on us'

Elmitsu states, "Helen, you cannot see, but I was waggling my eyebrows suggestively at you."

Helen laugh comes light and easy.

Helen asks, 'Tell me, do they still award us for sorting books and sweeping the paths outside, or have we to earn merits another way now?'

Elmitsu says 'The library is a wonderful place to get lost for an afternoon, to be sure. I wouldn't worry about the paths.'

Aleera shares, "They leave the sweeping to staff now," and more softly adds, "I suspect we were doing too poorly a job."

Helen says 'That's probably my fault.'

Helen's cheeks are burning.

Elmitsu comforts Helen.

Helen says 'I think I did a fine job, but one or a dozen Gaidin may have tripped over my work.'

Elmitsu says 'I did hear Eliyana Sedai saying something about justice being blind but not the custodians.'

Elmitsu pauses for comedic effect.

Helen says with a deadpan expression 'I have never met Justice; I didn't realize there were two who were blind here. Maybe I'll see her too.’ They both laugh.

Elmitsu continues 'And of course you will be able to complete quests for the various Ajahs.'

Elmitsu says, a touch pedantically, "There is a series of Ajah quests available to you now, and a second that is required once you are closer to claiming the shawl of an Aes Sedai."

Helen says, 'Where might I find information on the ones available to me now?'

Helen says 'Hopefully it's not just written down.'

Helen mutters in disgust.

Elmitsu says 'I believe the roster is outside Sheraim Sedai's study, but I am happy to recite it for you.'

Helen says 'It would be such a burden upon you to do so, but I may have to rely on you for just that'

Elmitsu says 'I like it when girls owe me favors.'

Helen snickers softly.

Elmitsu's smile is sly enough that it is nearly audible.

Aleera adds, "They award a goodly number of merits for completing that first series. I don't know about the second…yet." She can be heard agreeing with Elmitsu's response, pausing after what must have been her doing something Helen can’t see. "Yes, but is just a list of names of who to talk to. It would be a _small_ favor, I'd think." She chuckles.

Helen says, 'Take care or you may make me fall down.'

Helen giggles.

Elmitsu says 'Yes. Aleera is right. Only a small favor.'

Helen says, 'Last time I tried to find Sheriam's study, I got lost, would one of you direct me there?'

Elmitsu says 'We can all go!'

Elmitsu can be heard waving her arms. She’s probably beckoning Helen to follow her, for all the good that will do.

Helen says 'An adventuring party!'

Helen holds her hand out for someone to grasp.

Elmitsu threads her spindly fingers through Helen's own.

Elmitsu says 'Kennira, we are taking the exit, please.'

Lys

Re: Helen Makes New Friends Part 1

Post by Lys » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:59 pm

awarded 3qps

Chloro

Re: Helen Makes New Friends Part 1

Post by Chloro » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:16 pm

Rplizer +1 qps : +
Extra meticulous edit +1 qps : -
Length bonus +1-2 qps : -
Summary: +1 qps : +