Angreals Part One

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
melosa

Angreals Part One

Post by melosa » Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:05 am

Novice Melosa reads about angreals in the Great Library and approaches a Sister to learn more about such artifacts.

—----------------------

The Mistress of Novices' Study
This is a compact, dark-paneled room full of plain sturdy furnishings that have been used by generations of women who have held this office. The desk near the center of the room is plainly made and heavily worn through years of use. A large mirror with flaking gilt hangs from one of the walls. Used for switching disobedient initiates, as well as Aes Sedai who do penance, a
bench-like contraption that has a padded leather cushion to kneel on, as well as a padded leather area to lean on. A selection of switches, ranging from a slender willow switch to a slipper
lie on a table nearby.
[ obvious exits: E ]
A large desk made of fine, thick wood stands across the room from here.
Sheriam the Mistress of Novices studies Melosa with a stern expression.

An overworked, grumbling scribe bustles into the room, scowling darkly.

The scribe says 'Evaine Sedai requests Melosar presence in the Red Ajah's chambers, Melosa.'

Finishing her errand, the scribe turns on her heel and scurries back the way she came.

—------------------------

Den of the Red Ajah
[ obvious exits: E ]
A chair made of red oak rests next to the table. [2]
A large desk made of fine, thick wood stands across the room from here.
Evaine Casnobar is standing here.
A silver-haired Aes Sedai sits here, reading.
A Red Sister stares down here nose here.
Galina Casban completely ignores Melosa.

Melosa curtseys before Evaine.

Melosa curtseys before Galina.

Evaine nods at Melosa.

Evaine says 'Good morning, child'

Melosa says 'Good day, Evaine Sedai, Galina Sedai'

Evaine says 'I see your studies have taken youto the topic of Angreals.'

Melosa says 'Yes, Evaine Sedai'

Melosa says 'I was in the Great Library and in the restricted section'

Melosa says 'There was some brief mention of such artifacts but nothing more'

Melosa says 'And that piqued my curiosity'

Evaine gestures to Melosa to come closer to her large desk.

Evaine begins unfurling a silk fabric cloth, revealing several baubles.

Melosa walks over to the large desk.

Evaine says 'The Red Ajah favors angreals greatly, for often times we are up against some form of channeling threat. Men who channel are - on average - stronger in the Power than women.'

Melosa nods in agreement.

Melosa says 'Yes so it was written'

Evaine makes sweeping gestures, 'These help combat that difference on the battle field.'

Evaine says 'Before we talk about battle potential, first let us distinguish the differences.'

Evaine says 'There are 3 categories that angreals fall into: angreal, ter'angreal and sa'angreal.'

Evaine says 'Angreal are interesting, because there are many that can work with the One Power without needing a channeler to activate them or sustain them.'

Evaine says 'For instance....'

Melosa bites her tongue as she scribbles quickly.

Evaine picks up a small object that is crafted to look like curling winds and eddies.

Evaine says 'This is a basic angreal that can help remove pollutants and disease from the air.'

Evaine says 'No channeler is required to activate this object, it is constantly working of its own accord. '

Evaine says 'They have a distance... the object will only clear the air in this particular room. The radius isn't very large.'

Melosa's eyes widen as she realizes the small object is not as it seems.

Melosa says 'It looks so... plain.'

Melosa says 'No different than something found at a trinket stall at the market.'

Evaine nods at Melosa.

Evaine says 'Most Angreal were probably common objects for citizens during the Age
of Legends... now they are so very rare.'

Evaine places the object down with a soft thud.

Evaine says 'So never assume if Melosa find a man with a simple object that turns out to be an object of power.'

Evaine says 'He may not be a channeler, but may be carrying an object that is causing phenomena that appear as if he is channeling.'

Evaine grasps the next object, a small crystalline circlet.

Evaine says 'We have several of these in the Tower's cache.'

Evaine gets a small crystalline circlet from a small purse.

Evaine says 'This is the one I use, personally.'

Evaine opens the palm of her hand, showing Melosa the small crystal rings.

Evaine says 'This is a ter'angreal, an object that requires a channeler in order to operate.'

Evaine says 'ter'angreal typically bolster a channeler's strength in the Power. But there are other's that do not effect strength in the Power, but complete tasks. Such as causing one to fall into slumber, for instance.'

Evaine says 'Once worn or held, I can channel Saidar through this ter'angreal to grant me more strength.'

Evaine gives Melosa a small crystalline circlet.

Evaine says 'Melosa, you are never to work with angreals of any kind without a Sister present.'

Evaine says 'Go ahead and hold the circlet.'

Melosa grabs a small crystalline circlet.

Evaine nods in agreement.

Evaine says 'Now Embrace the Source.'

Evaine nods approvingly as Melosa is bathed in a nimbus of light.

Evaine says 'Do you know how to create food with the Power?'

Melosa mutters about riverbanks and saidar as a river as she remains embraced.

Evaine mutters to herself, 'There's probably a food angreal somewhere in the world.'

Melosa says 'Yes Evaine Sedai'

Evaine says 'go ahead and channel Saidar through the circlet as you complete the
'create food' weave'

Evaine says 'So that you may see how it operates.'

Melosa weaves flows of Earth to create a meal.

Evaine says 'Did you see how it took just a trickle of the Source to complete the weave? It's a small weave to test it against, as most Sisters use much stronger weaves with their angreals.'

Melosa says 'Yes indeed'

Evaine says ‘You may release the Source and return the ter'angreal now.'

Melosa stops using a small crystalline circlet.

Evaine holds out her hand, palm facing up.

Melosa give a small crystalline circlet to Evaine.

Evaine puts a small crystalline circlet in a small purse.

Evaine folds the silk cloth, covering the rare objects.

Evaine says 'The third category of angreal is what is referred to as, sa'angreal.'

Evaine says 'Unfortunately I do not have any of those to show you, as they are the rarest
and highly protected by the Tower.'

Melosa says 'I have a question Evaine Sedai'

Melosa says 'Given their outwardly normal appearance, how would we safely identify such artifacts?'

Melosa says 'If we are possibly at risk by simply channeling.'

Evaine taps her chin.

Evaine says 'There is a resonance with objects of the Power, you will learn to pick up the sense perceptions needed as Melosa work with the objects more. Angreal study is reserved for full Sisters, however.'

Evaine says 'Some Aes Sedai have a talent for discovering objects of the Power, a natural affinity for it.'

Evaine says 'Now, where was I...'

Evaine says '...ah yes, sa'angreal.'

Evaine says 'The strongest of all the objects of Power.'

Evaine says 'Some sa'angreal require both male and female channelers to activate, such as the famous Choden Kal.'

Melosa continues writing down.. "Rarest sa'angreal like Choden Kal"

Evaine says 'But to keep it simple for our purposes, I will reference a sa'angreal I have seen once in my time.'

Evaine says 'One of my Brown Sisters had showed me Vora's Sa'angreal. It is a rod that amplifies the One Power drastically.'

Evaine says 'It has been used in the past to heal difficult ailments, or to even gentle
men who can channel.'

Evaine says 'It is hardly ever taken out of the Tower's cache, and heavily guarded. '

Evaine says 'The mechanics for sa'angreal are the same for ter'angreal... it just requires the user to channel the Source through the object.'

Evaine says 'We have lost the Talent to create angreals, but I assume many objects of the Power were intended to be used in ways we do not use them today.'

Evaine glides softly towards a large cupboard and unlocks it with a crimson key.

Evaine delicately places the objects of Power within the cupboard and locks it securely.

Melosa taps the quill thoughtfully against the edge of the desk.

Evaine says 'I will see these are returned to the Tower's storage.'

Melosa says 'Evaine Sedai, another question if it pleases the Light'

Evaine turns her dark eyes on Melosa.

Evaine says 'Of course, child '

Melosa says 'As a child, I had travelled once with my da to Far Madding on one of his travels.'

Melosa says 'I vaguely recall an aching sense of loss as I entered the city.'

Evaine frowns.

Melosa says 'Later on, I heard that there was something secret hidden within the city.'

Melosa says 'Could that be an angreal of sorts?'

Evaine says 'Yes, that is the affect of the Guardian angreal.'

Evaine says 'And it indeed is an angreal, as it does not require a channeler to activate it or sustain it's operation.'

Melosa says 'Ah that explains much'

Evaine says 'The Guardian prevents channelers from connecting to the Source within a certain radius, but it also identifies the location that someone last attempted to channel.'

Melosa says 'Ah that explains that strange feeling I experienced then.'

Evaine says 'I think your next assignment should involve speaking with a Brown Sister.'

Evaine says 'They will be able to provide Melosa with even more in-depth knowledge on this topic.'

Melosa says 'I will most certainly do so!'

Evaine says 'It is time for me to be heading out now, child.'

Melosa says 'It would be a most interesting subject.'

Evaine adjusts her shawl, ensuring it rests regally on her shoulders.

Melosa says 'I have taken up too much of your time, Evaine Sedai'

Melosa says 'Thank you for the lesson!'

Evaine says 'Not to worry child, there are not enough hours in the day.'

Evaine says 'I would like you to inform me when you have had the time to meet with an
Aes Sedai of the Brown.'

Melosa says 'Most certainly!'

Evaine says 'Now, carry on with your studies.'

Melosa curtseys before Evaine.

Evaine gestures towards the doorway.

Melosa says 'Yes Evaine Sedai'

Evaine says 'The Light illumine you.'

Lys

Re: Angreals Part One

Post by Lys » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:04 pm

awarded 2 qps