Supper at the White Lion

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Elmitsu

Supper at the White Lion

Post by Elmitsu » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:06 pm

Supper at the White Lion

Summary: Elmitsu sets out to find Aelrena Sedai, eventually discovering the Brown Sitter enjoying her supper at an inn in Aringill.

Characters: Elmitsu, Aelrena

POV: Elmitsu

+-+-+-+-+

The White Lion
One of the many inns in Aringill, the White Lion is small and comfortable,
with people gathered around tables engaged in various conversations and
pastimes such as gambling. All the chairs and tables are filled, and there
even seems to be a waiting list for the rooms that are available. There is
a large notice hanging on one of the walls. Like most inns, food and drink
are readily available, although here there seems little variety.
A small wooden keg is upended here, with a shiny metal tap in its side.
A man is here.
Aelrena is sitting here, cloak hood over her head.
A bartender serves customers with a greedy smile.
A merchant guard eyes you warily, intent on keeping order.
A merchant guard eyes you warily, intent on keeping order.
A shapely young woman skillfully weaves amongst the chaos, taking orders.

Elmitsu pulls her cowl close as she enters the White Lion's common room.

Aelrena sits in a corner of the tavern, a book open on the table next to a plate which she seems to be idly picking at.

Elmitsu 's eyes alight upon Aelrena as if they were heat-seeking. She walks casually toward the Brown's table, offering a quick bend that one could interpret as a curtsey or a stumble, depending upon her seat, "Light keep you, Aelrena Sedai."

Aelrena glances up from her book, her eyebrows marginally quirking upward at the Accepted's presence.

Elmitsu whispers to Aelrena 'Forgive me if I am a little informal, but I did not wish to cause a scene and draw attention to you if you did not wish it.'

Elmitsu continues standing at the edge of Aelrena's table as if she were the serving girl.

Aelrena says 'Elmitsu, please have a seat. It's been some time since I've seen you.'

Aelrena's lips twitch up slightly at the corners.

Elmitsu takes the invitation as if it were handed to her in haste.

Aelrena whispers to you, 'If I were attempting to keep hidden, I don't suppose you naming me Aelrena Sedai would help in that, now would it?'

Elmitsu observes the various items occupying Aelrena's table and attention, "I hope I am not disturbing you . . ."

Elmitsu adds the honorific only after looking around once more, "Aelrena Sedai."

Aelrena says 'You are not, child. You merely found me taking a meal.'

Elmitsu says 'I will admit that this is perhaps not as coincidental a meeting as I have first made it seem.'

Aelrena closes the tome with one hand before sliding it across the table toward the Accepted. Stitched in a steady hand across the leather cover is "An Azure Exploration."

Elmitsu mouths the words, "An Azure Exploration," under her breath as she examines the book Aelrena has presented her.

Elmitsu flips to the flyleaf and scans it as quickly as she's able, "What are you studying, if I may ask?"

Aelrena's eyebrows twitch again, "Oh? Whatever reason could you have for finding me while I'm away from our home?"

Aelrena intently tears a piece of bread away from the loaf on the table, sopping up some of her stew as she waits for the Accepted to speak.

Elmitsu chews on this question much as Aelrena chews on her bread, "It might not be appropriate to say so, but I have . . . missed you, Aes Sedai."

Elmitsu takes care to moderate her volume so that only those with the keenest of ears could hear the honorific she sometimes offers.

Aelrena says 'Oh? You have a few weeks without my lessons and you find yourself searching me out, hmmm?'

Elmitsu chooses each word as an expert stones player might, crafting her next move, "It has been longer than a few weeks, I think, but perhaps I feel this way because so much has happened in your absence."

Aelrena tears off another chunk of bread, catching up the stew on the sides of the bowl as she speaks, "Well you'll have to fill me in then, Elmitsu. What exactly have I missed?"

Elmitsu clasps her hands before her on the table, and--remarkably--they do not fidget, "I have been studying with Keshara Sedai. She was able to determine the identity of . . ."

Elmitsu 's words hang in the air like a painting in a fine museum.

Elmitsu concludes after a breath, "the body I discovered in the Blue wing."

Aelrena pipes in quietly as she finishes off the bread, "Stating it merely as your discovery would have sufficed, child."

Aelrena says 'So you've taken up studies with Keshara Sedai, what else?'

Aelrena arches an eyebrow.

Elmitsu does not smile, though she meets Aelrena's gaze, perhaps admirably, "Many of my teachers might agree that I still require additional lessons in subtlety."

Aelrena says 'I suspect most of your teachers would say so.'

Elmitsu says 'My ma always said . . . why a needle when a hammer would do?'

Aelrena stifles a laugh behind her hand.

Elmitsu looks puzzled for a brief moment before she smiles slyly, "Or perhaps it was the opposite."

Aelrena says 'Perhaps it was, I suspect only your mother could say now.'

Elmitsu says 'But I have only recently returned to Tar Valon after traveling to Altara, Aelrena Sedai.'

Elmitsu says 'Keshara Sedai entrusted me with notifying Neisa's family.'

Aelrena says 'I see. And I take that you were successful in such?'

Elmitsu does not sound proud, or like much of anything, really, "I was, Aes Sedai."

Aelrena moves the now empty bread plate under her soup bowl, neatly stacking the dishes and setting them on one end of the table.

Aelrena says 'Good, that lightens my heart to some degree.'

Elmitsu nods, some of her black-brown hair escaping its ribbon and momentarily occluding her eyes, "I was glad to provide them closure, Aelrena Sedai, though it was perhaps not the justice I first sought."

Aelrena nods at Elmitsu.

Elmitsu says 'Would you like anything else to eat, Aes Sedai?'

Aelrena says 'And why is that, Elmitsu?'

Elmitsu motions to the serving girl.

A bartender tells Elmitsu 'Enjoy it!'
Elmitsu now has a choice steak.

Aelrena shakes her head, sitting back in her chair as she finally lowers the hood of her cloak,revealing her hair to be pulled back tightly in a tail.

Elmitsu takes a little time to form her answer, her saucer-sized eyes clouded in thought, "I was glad to give Neisa back her name, but I was . . . disappointed that we will likely never apprehend the culprit."

Aelrena nods at Elmitsu.

Aelrena says 'And why does that bring you disappointment?'

Aelrena cocks her head to the side, umber eyes inscrutable as they rest upon the girl's features.

Elmitsu 's lips twist to one side as if they had been tugged by a fish hook. She thinks for a moment, "Because, when bad things happen, I want to have an answer. Neisa traveled to the White Tower for asylum, and we provided it . . . until she died in our care. I know that bad things happen everywhere, but why am I here if I am not to make it less?"

Aelrena says 'Do you think there is something that you could have done to save Neisa's life, Accepted?'

Elmitsu says 'No, Aes Sedai, I don't.'

Aelrena nods in agreement.

Elmitsu says 'Perhaps if I'd been in the very room when the Shadowspawn set upon her, but even then, it's more like we'd both be dead than I'd have spared her fate.'

Aelrena nods at Elmitsu.

Aelrena says 'Quite likely, yes. '

Elmitsu says 'I was not as prepared then, Aes Sedai.'

Elmitsu corrects herself, "I am still preparing."

Aelrena says 'You are yet untrained and unprepared for some trials.'

Aelrena says 'However, being Aes Sedai does not suddenly allow you to fix every problem that one faces in the world, Elmitsu.'

Elmitsu says 'But Keshara Sedai helped me see that sometimes violence is senseless, without reason.'

Aelrena says 'There is only so much that I can do with a gesture; a few spoken words can often accomplish nearly as much.'

Aelrena says 'But, another lesson I hope you remember is that any Aes Sedai is only a single woman. She cannot fix every problem.'

Elmitsu watches Aelrena with eyes larger than the saucer upon which the Sister's teacup rests.

Aelrena says 'She has to focus her attention upon what is most important in that moment, lest she lose her ability to do any good because she's spread too thin.'

Elmitsu says, perhaps even sheepishly, "I think the pattern is intent upon teaching me this lesson, Aes Sedai."

Aelrena idly touches the jade dangling from one ear, causing it to sway back and forth gently.

Aelrena nods at Elmitsu.

Aelrena says 'I would think so.'

Elmitsu permits herself another small, sly smile, "At least, it continues to come up frequently."

Aelrena smiles softly, the expression briefly transforming her plain features to true beauty.

Aelrena says 'Perhaps you'll learn it then.'

Elmitsu is nearly earnest, "I hope so, Aes Sedai."

Elmitsu even jests a little, "I should hate to make the pattern continue to repeat itself."

Aelrena says 'But you'll let my sisters repeat themselves until you've made your way through the Test of 100 Weaves?'

Elmitsu bites back a further smile, "I hope to spare them too, Aes Sedai. It might take me awhile to learn certain lessons, but when I do . . . I have learned them."

Aelrena's mouth quirks to the side, her eyes locked upon the Accepted, "Have you started an apprenticeship with the Blue Ajah yet?

Elmitsu spreads her hands a little on the table, "I have not begun any formal apprenticeship, Aes Sedai."

Aelrena leans forward, resting her elbows upon the table, steepling her fingers in front of her face.

Aelrena says 'I see.'

Aelrena says 'What else do you have to share?'

Elmitsu says 'Only that I hope you return to the Tower soon, Aes Sedai. I did not mean to have to hunt you down in Aringill.'

Elmitsu 's syntax is especially queer, but she leans back as if satisfied with the declamation.

Aelrena says 'Perhaps my business will conclude itself sooner than I thought it would, we will yet see.'

Elmitsu says 'Can I be of any help, Aes Sedai?'

A man says 'I have nothing to do with those Aes Sedai, nor do I want to.'

A man says 'Now leave me alone.'

Aelrena looks at a man.

Elmitsu looks at a man.

Elmitsu arches an eyebrow.

Aelrena shakes her head.

Aelrena says 'Hmmmm.'

Aelrena says 'How much time have you spent exploring the world at large, lately?'

Elmitsu considers this fairly, "Well, I have just returned from Altara, as I mentioned before. And I have been traveling more frequently in pursuit of my studies.

Aelrena seems to consider the girl for a moment, her expression unreadable.

Aelrena says 'If you should hear the name [REDACTED] in your travels, please inform me as soon as you're able.'

Elmitsu says 'Could you spell that for me, Aes Sedai?'

Aelrena stifles a laugh behind her hand.

Elmitsu fishes in her bag for a loose parchment. She slides it over to Aelrena.

Aelrena chuckles politely.

Aelrena retrieves a pen from her own bag before writing the name carefully across the paper.

Aelrena tucks the pen away before sliding the paper back to the Accepted.

Elmitsu says 'Does my search have any parameters, Aes Sedai?'

Elmitsu eyes "An Azure Exploration" on the table as if it might bear a clue.

Aelrena ponders life, the universe, and everything.

Aelrena says 'Merely let me know if you find him, though I would prefer you not reveal to others that you search for me.'

Aelrena says 'If you must, merely let him know a sister is looking for him.'

Elmitsu says 'I am learning to keep better secrets, Aes Sedai.'

Aelrena's lips twitch slightly, "Tell me some of these secrets then, Elmitsu?"

Elmitsu 's eyes widen, perhaps in mock surprise, "Why, you taught me how to keep them better, Aelrena Sedai. It only took me a few penances to master my tongue about Neisa."

Aelrena says 'Only a few.'

Aelrena smirks.

Elmitsu says 'Yours really set the tone for the later penances, Aelrena Sedai.'

Elmitsu doesn't waggle her eyebrows at the Brown Sitter.

Aelrena says 'Of which you still managed to find your way into a tavern and mention it within five minutes of finding me.'

Elmitsu says 'You have been gone so long, Aelrena Sedai. I am an excellent student, but even I have my limits.'

Aelrena says 'Perhaps you could use a few more months of penance too ensure you truly learn.'

Elmitsu says this pretty convincingly.

Aelrena looks at Elmitsu.

Elmitsu says 'I did not mean to be coy or clever, Aelrena Sedai.'

Elmitsu says 'But unfortunately it is my curse. If you think it will help me learn, I will gladly do it.'

Aelrena says 'I suppose you have your limits at that.'

Elmitsu doesn't even smile slyly or sweetly.

Aelrena says 'I see you're taking advantage of not yet having sworn on the Oath Rod.'

Elmitsu says 'I would not lie to you Aelrena Sedai, not on purpose. I am taking it seriously.'

Aelrena looks at Elmitsu.

Elmitsu meets Aelrena's eyes again, "But it is the lies I tell myself that are still the easiest to get off."

Aelrena says 'Is that so?'

Elmitsu says 'That is so.'

Aelrena says 'When was the last prank you performed, and were you punished for it?'

Aelrena mimics Elmitsu's typical sly smile.

Elmitsu says 'I brought a lot of animals into the Tower with the gleeman aspirant Dorthy. She has since donned the multi-patched cape.'

Elmitsu says 'I was not punished.'

Aelrena nods at Elmitsu.

Elmitsu says 'I think Sarinda Sedai might have wanted to speak to me before I was overcome with my Foretelling.'

Elmitsu says 'Oh, did I tell you about my Foretelling?'

Aelrena nods at Elmitsu.

Aelrena says 'You did not, though I'm already aware of it.'

Elmitsu blinks her eyes like a doll.

Elmitsu says 'I am sorry to bury the lede. I hope you do not think I was keeping it from you.'

Elmitsu says 'But I assumed all Aes Sedai had heard about this.'

Aelrena says 'I have my own thoughts on what some believe in regards to your having the foretelling.'

Elmitsu says 'Will you tell me what you think?'

Elmitsu 's eyes are so large and wet that they might be an ocean, but she does not cry.

Aelrena says 'Perhaps, though not today. A tavern is hardly the place.'

Elmitsu echoes, "Hardly."

Elmitsu nods decisively; her teeth nearly clack.

Aelrena says 'Before I send you off to the Tower...'

Aelrena stands from her seat, dropping a few gold crowns on the table before moving toward the inn door.

Elmitsu rises as if attached to Aelrena by a string.

Elmitsu now follows Aelrena.

Aelrena clambers to her feet.

Aelrena leaves east. >>
Elmitsu follows Aelrena.

Aelrena leads the girl through Aringill and into Braem wood, the small globe of light creating a pool of radiance around the pair as they walk under the trees.

Elmitsu pulls her own cowl up and closer to herself as she follows the Brown Sister.

Aelrena says 'Have you taken my lessons to heart, Elmitsu?'

Elmitsu says, even resolutely, "I have, Aelrena Sedai."

Elmitsu says 'I am glad you are my teacher.'

Aelrena says 'And so you've been taking time to get to know yourself? To find ways to soothe and bring yourself comfort without the need for external input?'

Elmitsu says 'I have. My time in Altara tried to teach me patience.'

Elmitsu says, ruefully, "I have still not learned that lesson, Aes Sedai, but perhaps I never will. But I will spend my life trying."

Aelrena says 'A few hundred years seemingly teaches most women patience.'

Elmitsu watches Aelrena from the corner of her eye, clearly absorbed.

Aelrena leads the girl into a clearing, her eyes scanning the area before she turns her complete attention upon the Accepted.

Aelrena says 'I am proud of you, Elmitsu. You have grown much, and my expectations of you are high.'

Elmitsu senses Aelrena connecting to the True Source.

Elmitsu senses Aelrena is channeling saidar.

A bright slash of light dilates into a gateway to another place.

Elmitsu manages a brief curtsey on her way through the gateway.

Elmitsu step through the gateway.

Aelrena gives Elmitsu a genuine smile through the gateway before allowing it to close.

Lys

Re: Supper at the White Lion

Post by Lys » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:25 pm

Awarded 3ps

Awarded twice 2qps then 1qp because I screwed it up the first time

Chloro

Re: Supper at the White Lion

Post by Chloro » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:39 pm

Rplizer +1 qps : +
Extra meticulous edit +1 qps : +
Length bonus +1-2 qps : -
Summary: +1 qps : +