Whats In My Bag, Yellow Edition

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Lona

Whats In My Bag, Yellow Edition

Post by Lona » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:48 pm

Seeing a Novice with a free period and not knowing what that is like, Tower Accepted Lona pulls Novice Maddy into a quick lesson on how to stock a healer's bag. Novice Maddy learns that not all things inside are pleasant...

View Of: Lona
Participants: Lona, Maddy

The Warders' Practice Yard
A large expanse of bare ground at least fifty paces across and nearly twice
as long stretches forth, its earth beaten hard. At intervals around it
under the trees stand wooden stands holding quarterstaffs and practice
swords made of strips of wood bound loosely together, and a few real swords
and axes and spears. A large gray stone building lies to the east, home to
the warder students and those warders who are not sharing quarters with
their Aes Sedai in the main Tower structure itself.

A sign hangs on the wall.
[ obvious exits: N E S W ]
Zone: White Tower Ground Floor
Door east: officedoor
An iron lantern hangs from the wall above the gate.
A weapon rack stands on the ground here, ready to store weapons.
Some elaborate figurines spew fresh water into a broad basin here.
Maddy the Wearied Novice is standing here.
A warder's student stands here catching his breath.
A grim storyteller reads from a journal.
Coulin the Master of Arms is here teaching his students.
A gray haired weaponsmaster stands nearby.

Lona gently walks across the warders practice yard, hips swaying as her long wavey black hair lifts in the breeze, towards Novice Maddy. "Tell me, what do you know of first aid?"

Maddy smiles happily.

Maddy taps her finger on her chin as she thinks of how to explain what she knows. " I have helped with the healing of some of the poor with small ailments in the city but that’s all so far."

Lona nods and pats a pouch tied to the right side of her belt. "In some areas, they do not take kindly to woman channeling, so we must do it the old way. Tell me, what do you think should be in a healer’s kit?"

Maddy says 'I have not learned of the healers kit as of yet.'

Lona says 'Then perhaps the best place to start is at the beginning.'

Lona unties the pouch from her belt as she kneels down carefully placing the pouch on the ground motioning for Maddy to join her. "A healers kit is a traveling first aid kit of the various things we may need that are not commonly found."

Maddy kneels down beside Lona tucking her hair behind her ears as she looks at the kit with interest.

Maddy sits back crossing her legs under her skirt as she pulls her notepad and pencil from her pack.

Lona chuckles watching the novice before looking back to her kit, silver bangles jingling on her arms as she sorts through it first pulling out a small copper bowl with a rod like instrument." This is a mortar and pestle, used to grind and mix herbs into all manner of things."

Maddy says 'Oh I have seen those but mostly in Wisdoms. '

Maddy says 'and I have gathered herbs and dropped them in city barrels not knowing their value.'

Lona continues sifting through her kit pulling out a thin short flask "Yes many wisdoms have much larger ones made out of stone, and some cast iron, but they would be very heavy to transport. This flask has just enough brandy for a few sips, it can be used to dull pain if needed."

Maddy nods in agreement.

Lona looks to Maddy at the mention of herbs. "Not all Yellow Ajah or healers think that the only way to heal is channeling. I am sure any apprentice or Aes Sedai of the Yellow Ajah would happily take the herbs off your hands."

Maddy says 'oh I don’t leave the Tower now, but once I do I will continue to gather but bring it here instead of putting in city barrels.'

Maddy says 'Are there certain herbs you always like to carry.'

Lona smiles and pulls a small knife no bigger than her pinky out of the bag. "This is used for cutting herbs, and if sterilized will allow me to cut away infected flesh too. Flatwort is the hardest to come by, however I like all herbs equally."

Maddy nods in agreement.

Maddy says 'is Flatwort used in easing pain.'

Lona says 'It is used in combination to provide much needed internal stamina to ride a sickness out, and can in some cases give you more energy to go about your day.'

Maddy shifts to her knees to get a better look at the knife saying," may I pick it up or is it already sterilized."

Maddy nods in agreement.

Lona nods and hands the knife to Maddy before pulling out a small stoppered vial of amber liquid and allowing a grin to take her face. She then hands the vial to Maddy. "Take a whiff of this, I assure you it is very strong."

Maddy gingerly grabs the knife and vial. Lifting the vial to her nose she takes a big whiff then you see tears come to her eyes from the pungency.

Maddy says 'oh that is strong.'

Lona says, 'Evergreen and Pine sap mixed together, it can clear the head of congestion, or bring someone back to their senses if needed.'

Maddy says 'but not too unpleasant.'

Maddy says 'would you make this into a chest compress for a cold.'

Maddy says 'perhaps with some goose grease.'

Lona reaches into the near empty back and pulls out the last three small objects. "A curved needle for sewing wounds, a bar of soap as it is not always provided, and a cloth used for straining concoctions and tea. This completes my kit, the rest of what is needed can be found nearly everywhere."

Maddy runs the blade of the knife gently along her fingertip testing the sharpness before she lays it back down.

Maddy nods in agreement.

Lona says 'Goose grease is good if it can be found, normally lard is used from pigs as it is generally in abundance.'

Maddy nods at Lona, then turns to her notes quickly jotting some down.

Maddy leans back onto her heels as she continues to view what Lona has laid out with interest.

Lona gathers the things quickly and with care places them back into her pouch and secures it on her belt. "Cleaning up is as important as the work we do. Nothing should be left to get contaminated, and it makes the patient feel better to know things are orderly."

Maddy nods at you.

Maddy says 'yes that makes sense.'

Lona says 'Do you have any questions on healing, or the Yellow Ajah?'

Maddy says 'I am sure I will be going forward, but one comes to mind right now, where do you think I should practice what I am learning.

Maddy says 'I have been helping with the poor and healing poor animals I have seen hurt.'

Lona nods and looks to Maddy with warmth in her eyes. "I find that waiting till you are Accepted is much better, you will be able to practice and perfect your skills healing those struggling to fight the shadow in Fal Dara."

Maddy nods in agreement.

Lona says 'Though with the shadow coming so far south, you may get a chance to practice here sooner rather than later. Being ready and prepared is half the battle.'

Maddy says 'thank you Accepted I will like doing that and continue with my book learning and helping the poor.'

Maddy smiles at you.

Lona says 'The Aes Sedai come first for lessons, but the Tower Accepted can mentor to, do not hesitate to reach out to us.'

Maddy says 'That is why I have been making sure there is food all over lately, to assist the fighters.'

Maddy says 'thank You Lona that is very generous of you.'

Maddy smiles happily.

Maddy says 'and I will reach out to the other Accepted as well.'

Lona places her right palm on her right thigh standing somewhat gracefully, "We hope to be servants of all one day, if we cannot serve those within the tower, we have no hope to serve those without."

Maddy stands up and brushes her skirts whilst putting her notes and pencil in her bag.

Lona bows her head in farewell and respect to the novice as she heads back towards the tower square.

Maddy smiles happily.

Lona says 'Peace favor your path.'

Maddy says 'you as well.'

Evaine

Re: Whats In My Bag, Yellow Edition

Post by Evaine » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:42 am

Lona: 1 qp
Maddy: 1 qp

Please "receive" your offline reward.