Finding Acceptance, Part Two: A Noble Cause

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Amarea

Finding Acceptance, Part Two: A Noble Cause

Post by Amarea » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:49 am

Summary:
Feeling discouraged at learning that she likely lacks the Talent for Healing, Amarea heads out of the White Tower to try and find something to fill her time. However, while using the One Power to discern the locations of nearby objects, she rapidly discovers that a fist of Trollocs led by a dreadlord and a Fade are just outside of the Shining Walls. Amarea joins a group of defenders led by Vianca Sedai of the Green Ajah just in time to repel the Shadowspawn from the city, and the battle turns into a rout, neatly slaying the Trollocs and their generals. After the battle, Amarea seeks out Vianca to learn more about the Green Ajah and her potential future in the Ajah, but she learns that her own considerable weakness in the element of Fire may create a barrier to seeking entry to it. Amarea questions her identity, her strengths, and her future, and Vianca offers wise counsel on how to navigate this critical decision.

POV: Amarea
Main characters: Amarea, Vianca

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Strategy Room of the Green Ajah
Tall, arched windows on the east wall offer a view of the Tower Grounds and
the spires and sky bridges which dominate the city of Tar Valon. A few
cushioned chairs have been drawn up to the windows. The other seats in the
room consist of tiered benches carved elaborately with oak leaves and
swords, rising in a semi-circle around a central platform. Each place on
the benches has been marked by a green silk cushion. A large oaken table
for strategic planning stands on the platform, ready for use.
[ obvious exits: W ]
A chair made of red oak rests next to the table. [3]
A long wooden table offers room for patrons.
Vianca Vaughn, Aes Sedai is standing here.
A silver-haired Aes Sedai sits here, reading.
A Green Sister struts about the halls.
Alanna Mosvani, a tall, slenderly beautiful woman with dark, penetrating eyes stands here.

Amarea smiles happily.

Vianca closes the carveddoor.

Amarea curtseys before Vianca.

Vianca says 'Grab a chair'

Amarea says 'If you need refreshments, Aes Sedai, I gathered some.'

Amarea puts a bread filled with raisins and nuts in a long wooden table.
Amarea puts a loaf of sugar bread in a long wooden table.
Amarea puts a plate of sausages and vegetables in a long wooden table.
Amarea puts a plate of roast lamb with apple jelly in a long wooden table.
Amarea puts a cup of honeyed tea in a long wooden table.
Amarea puts a cup of honeyed tea in a long wooden table.

Vianca says 'Tell me Accepted, what can I do for you today?'

Amarea rests her tired bones on a stout oaken chair.

Amarea smoothes her skirts as she searches for words.

Vianca says 'Refreshments won't be needed as my time is short.'

Vianca smiles happily.

Amarea nods in agreement.

Amarea says 'Beggin' your pardon, Aes Sedai, I will try to keep it short then as well. Ma always said I can be a talker, but I'll try.'

Vianca says 'Speak you mind of course, but no time for tea and crackers.'

Vianca grins evilly.

Amarea says 'Mainly, I've taken upon myself the task of trying to meet with at least one Aes Sedai from every Ajah so I can better understand my role in the White Tower as an Accepted.'

Amarea says 'After that chaotic battle in the city, I am finding myself with dozens of questions but unsure where to start.'

Vianca says 'That was some battle we had going on for a while there, indeed.'

Vianca says 'You seemed to have held your composure well I would say.'

Amarea blushes furiously.

Vianca says 'At any point in that did you find yourself bewildered?'

Vianca says 'Any sense of confusion?'

Amarea admits, 'Repeatedly!'

Amarea giggles nervously.

Amarea says 'I accidentally rested once instead of releasing the Source, when I was trying to conserve my energy.'

Amarea says 'And then I had to find the group, and my horse went missing.'

Amarea says 'I was bewildered trying to keep focused on my own weaving, and struggled to see when my own weaves were landing or not (OOC: even with color highlights the spam was intense).'

Vianca says 'That's understandable, as each scenario is different and variables such as loosing your horse can play a major role.'

Vianca says 'The most important think to remember is to think ahead, it may be hard to gather your thoughts but it is vital to your survival and overall sucsess.'

Amarea nods thoughtfully.

Amarea bites her lip as she thinks. 'Mostly, I think, I wanted to share the observation that I admire your bravery, because when others were seeking an exit you were outspoken about wanting to stay to defend the city. And I wonder how you developed that confidence.'

Amarea says 'I found myself simultaneously terrified by the sheer number of Shadowspawn I was Locating, and also desperate to do -something-, anything, useful to protect the city.'

Vianca says 'Well, one of the variables that played a huge part was the location of the fight, we were on out home turf. If you don't feel comfortable in your own home, where can you?'

Amarea nods enthusiastically.

Vianca says 'It's important to have the for sight to know not only how your going to enter the fight and what strategy to adopt but more importantly how your going to escape or where your going to fall back too.'

Vianca says 'For instance, right away when I knew there was a dreadlord I knew where my focus HAD to be.'

Amarea's eyes narrow as she nods determinedly, although her face pales at the same time.

Amarea says 'I tried to target him as well, and the names of the Fades I heard about.'

Vianca says 'In order to neutralize the threat of the dreadlord to everyone I had to make sure that I was not only in the room with him as much as possible but my attention was focused on hitting him with short weaves in order to render him useless. '

Vianca says 'That may mean just meleeing one trolloc and waiting for him to enter while being ready to throw a fast Flame Strike.'

Amarea says 'I switched over to longer weaves when I saw him bashed, in hopes it would maximize my damage. But he is a fast one.'

Vianca says 'Unless your long weave is started a half round after the bash, most of the time their wimpy is set so that they will flee before it lands.'

Amarea says 'Light, I'm just glad that it was cold tonight from the winter weather. I am very weak in Fire, so I have to rely on training in Hailstorm and Ice Spikes.'

Amarea says 'A half round?'

Amarea says 'Like, 6 pulses?'

Vianca nods in agreement.

Amarea says 'That is very fast indeed.'

Vianca says 'just about, yeah, sometimes they get stuck but more than not they're fleeing in one round.'

Vianca says 'best to get that fast weave off to not only do fast damage but be less vulnerable to a bash'

Vianca says 'With that, going into the battle I knew right away where I was going in case I had to fall back and that is just as important and anything else.'

Vianca says 'Be sure to always have an exit plan, you no good dead.'

Amarea grins playfully.

Amarea says 'Did you always intend to join the Green Ajah, Aes Sedai?'

Amarea says 'Well, you make it sound easy that way. Just don't let them kill me.'

Amarea chuckles politely.

Vianca says 'And to answer you question, no I didn't always think I was going to end up Green Ajah, I began my apprenticeship with the Yellow ajah as a matter of fact.'

Amarea blinks her eyes innocently.

Vianca says 'It's not easy, but more times than not the proper path is not complicated.'

Amarea says 'Really? What made you change your mind?'

Vianca says 'It's know when to run down that path and get to safety.'

Vianca says 'My mind was swayed over time while spending my time on the battlefield as a medic.'

Amarea leans back in her chair, an expression of curiosity on her face as she listens to the story.

Vianca says 'I eventually found myself not only accelerating on the battlefield but I was able to hone others into well trained fighters as well. '

Vianca says 'Don't get me wrong, they're are plenty of fierce warriors in every Ajah.'

zianca says 'But my ultimate decision came when I knew I wanted to help grow my fellow Sisters in the art of War and how to hold thier own on the front lines.'

Amarea smiles happily.

Amarea muses aloud, 'I think that is the part that I am stuck on.'

Vianca says 'Go on.'

Amarea says 'There seem to be no shortages of Ajahs I find fascinating, and could see myself in some day. But I struggle to rule any of them out.'

Amarea says 'I am not sure yet how to whittle the list, and make that decision, of what I want to prioritize and what I value above the others.'

Amarea says 'So far, I really enjoy exploring. I like helping other people. And I enjoy learning new things, especially about the world and my abilities.'

Amarea says 'I've been in a few very chaotic skirmishes and survived them so far, and several resulted in routing the Shadow. But that was really due to a lot of luck, and superior numbers.'

Vianca says 'Ok, how do you feel about fighting the Dark One and his minions?'

Vianca says 'but is it something you can find yourself doing for hundreds of years? Is there something else you rather do for that period of time?'

Amarea looks down at the table, her hands gripping the edge of it. 'I was frightened, worried that it would be my death we were riding towards. But I was more scared about all of those helpless guards and townspeople having no one to watch out for them while we hid with Coulin Gaidin. Tonight, my fear for them overcame my fear for myself.'

Vianca says 'There are ways to narrow the list, not for good but for enough time to allow yourself to focus on a select few that are more likely to be in your wheel house.'

Vianca says 'Well, being able to put your own well being aside to help others is very noble, not to be taken lightly.'

Vianca says 'How many more Ajahs do you need to seek out?'

Amarea says meekly, 'Thank you, Aes Sedai.'

Amarea says 'So far, I have met with Penzei Sedai and I don't believe I possess the Talent for Healing. My Talents seem to lie elsewhere, but I do hope to still learn some ways to utilize the moderate Healing abilities I have training in.'

Amarea says 'I was trying to work on finishing a task for Chloro Sedai before I approach her to discuss the Gray Ajah in more detail.'

Vianca says 'Ok, so scratch Yellow hypothetically for now'

Vianca says 'Grays on the burner'

Amarea chuckles politely.

Vianca says 'Thoughts on Red?'

Amarea says 'I think a lot of facets of the Gray Ajah fits well with my interests, but I don't know as much about the details in how that would play out every day, and how much joy I would find in their thankless work.'

Amarea says 'I...don't know if I would make a good Red.'

Amarea says 'When I think of men who can channel, and hear about what happens to them after being gentled, my immediate thought is wondering why and how the taint works, and whether anyone has researched it more. Maybe there is a way we can do something to help them.'

Vianca nods slowly.

Amarea frowns, 'The lessons I've taken from Saerin Sedai and Pevara Sedai on this floor highlighted that during the Age of Legends, men and women Aes Sedai worked together to create great feats with the Power.'

Amarea says 'Devoting my life to hunting them down feels...almost cruel, in a way.'

Amarea says 'I might think differently if they were attacking people, of course, or losing control of themselves.'

Vianca says 'My advice, and this may sound strange but is may be prudent to listen to all that Chloro Sedai has to offer you. Not only will she give you her honest opinion, she had a knack for discovering strengths in people they didn't know they had.'

Amarea nods slowly, drinking in the advice with rapt attention.

Vianca says 'She's a great sponsor to have, and always has everyone's best interests in mind.'

Vianca says 'That being said if you find yourself wanting to walk a bit in the shoes of the Green don't hesitate to reach out to me at any time.'

Amarea says 'I never would have thought the Green Ajah would interest me, honestly. I keep having thethought that I'm just a baker's daughter. I'm just...me.'

Amarea says 'But I have enjoyed doing something productive, something meaningful, to help push back the Shadow's forces.'

Amarea smiles at Vianca.

Vianca says 'Are you reward driven?'

Amarea says 'Thank you, Aes Sedai.'

Vianca says 'And not monetarily '

Vianca says 'Does the feeling of protecting the city like we did naturally raise your chin?'

Amarea says 'I...am not sure how to answer that, Aes Sedai. I think all people choose their actions based on the outcomes the anticipate, maybe sometimes without realizing it.'

Amarea says 'It did, Aes Sedai. It helped me be less scared, and more focused. The thought of abandoning the city felt so wrong, even though I was afraid there was nothing I could do.'

Vianca says 'The reward of saving the lives of the innocent and dispatching the Dark One one trolloc at a time is all I wake up for at this point.'

Amarea grins playfully.

Vianca says 'It's consumed me, and thats how I know I took the right path.'

Amarea says 'When I was a novice, I found this space in the woods with a hidden path down into a small cave, and four old chests there.'

Amarea says 'When I figured out how to open all of them, and realized somewhow they were occasionally being filled with equipment, I started cataloging it all just because I was curious what they might generate, and the patterns to them.'

Amarea says 'I found that very rewarding.'

Amarea says 'Catisune Sedai hinted that I might have a Talent in Locating things, and Sheriam Sedai thinks I may have a related one for Traveling. Part of me thinks it would be incredibly fascinating if I could try and decode the codes I sense when I try to Locate things. I wonder if that can be
done.'

Vianca says 'Rewards come in all fashions, you just have to find one that sustains you day by day and pushes you to never plateau in life.'

Vianca says 'What ever you choose, you have the best support system you can find, don't feel the need to rush at all.'

Amarea says 'You've given me a lot to think about.'

Amarea says 'I haven't had the chance to complete the tasks yet for Kiruna Sedai. I'll try those, and see if working for the Ajah helps me get a better feel for what it might actually feel like to be a Green sister.'

Vianca says 'It's a big decision that takes a lot of thought, I can't stress it enough, take your time.'

Amarea beams a broad smile from ear to ear.

Vianca says 'And get those Fire weaves'

Vianca nods in agreement.

Amarea grimaces abashedly.

Amarea says 'I am unfortunately very weak in Fire. I can barely light a candle.'

Amarea says 'But I'm average or above average in Air, Water, and Spirit, and Sheriam Sedai says I'm exceptionally strong at Earth.'

Vianca says 'Flame Strike is a must in my book'

Vianca says 'Fast and efficient.'

Vianca says 'Works just as good in -5 that it does in 99 degree weather'

Amarea says 'I have superb training in Hailstorm, Hammer of Air, and Earthquake.'

Vianca says 'Hammer of Air is very costly.'

Vianca says 'Earthquake is very situational.'

Vianca says 'And Hailstorm is meh.'

Vianca says 'You'll figure out what works for you'

Amarea says 'Is strength in Fire a requirement for the Green Ajah?'

Vianca says 'You will need it for sure, cold weaves don't work in the Blight.'

Amarea sighs.

Vianca says 'And the front lines are where you will find yourself more times than not.'

Amarea says skeptically, 'I can try to keep pushing my lessons with Sheriam Sedai in Fire. Maybe I can push myself enough to get Flame Strike.'

Vianca says 'I would.'

Amarea says 'But I can't help but finding myself wishing that my future Ajah choice could be determined by my strengths, not the abilities I lack.'

Amarea looks down at the table, clearly discouraged.

Vianca says 'You should strive to be fluent in every element.'

Vianca says 'You ability to adapt will be key.'

Vianca says 'During the winter months if you find yourself in the southern regions you can train to be stronger in the colder weaves.'

Amarea chuckles and replies dryly, 'Beggin' your pardon, Aes Sedai, but when I was a much younger child, my younger brother Janun and I both wanted very much to be taller. We said we were racing to see could get taller and how quickly. But it wasn't anything I had any control over. I feel the same way about my affinities for the elements.'

Vianca says 'If you fancy joining me for the summer up north, Sheriam can focus your training in Fire.'

Amarea says 'I was just about to say that I've been trying to focus on making the most of my affinities in the Power -- studying them, figuring out how to leverage them to do something meaningful. For example, I can sense objects and people very far away, so I have been trying to narrate when I sense Shadowspawn to help in the war against the Dark One.'

Amarea says 'I am sorry, Aes Sedai, I know you said you did not expect to have a long time.'

Vianca says 'It's fine.'

Vianca says 'I do have something to attend to though.'

Amarea says 'Whether I am destined to one day join the Green Ajah or not, is there anything I could be working on to help me grow in my ability to fight the Shadow? Or to become braver?'

Amarea says 'I am sorry, I can let you go for now, Aes Sedai. I just feel like I'm in the middle of trying to solve a blacksmith's puzzle and I hate not knowing what to do next.'

Vianca says 'Situational awareness is important and that comes with experience, get more comfortable on the battlefield by being out there more.'

Amarea nods at Vianca.

Vianca says 'The only way to solve that puzzle is to look within yourself and capitalize on your strengths and your values.'

Amarea says 'Yes, Vianca Sedai. I will keep trying to do just that.'

Amarea says 'If there was an Ajah dedicated to baking, I would be all set.'

Amarea grins playfully.

Vianca smirks.

Amarea curtseys before Vianca.

Vianca says 'Good day Accepted.'

Amarea says 'Thank you very much for your time, Aes Sedai. And more importantly, for modeling your own strengths.'

Amarea says 'It means a lot to me.'

Amarea smiles happily.

Vianca says 'Anytime.'

Vianca smiles happily.

Amarea says 'The Light favor you and keep you safe.'

Lys

Re: Finding Acceptance, Part Two: A Noble Cause

Post by Lys » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:32 pm

awarded 3qps

Chloro

Re: Finding Acceptance, Part Two: A Noble Cause

Post by Chloro » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:42 pm