Finding Acceptance, Part One: The Finer Things of Life

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Amarea

Finding Acceptance, Part One: The Finer Things of Life

Post by Amarea » Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:29 am

Summary:
Having recently survived her trip through the Three Arches and being advanced to the position of Accepted, Amarea finds herself feeling a lack of clear direction on her next steps along her journey towards the shawl. To aid her efforts to better understand herself, her strengths, and her calling, she embarks on a personal goal to meet with at least one Aes Sedai from every Ajah. To that end, she first meets with Penzei Sedai and learns more about what sets Aes Sedai of the Yellow Ajah apart from other sisters.

POV: Amarea
Main characters: Amarea, Penzei

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Solarium of the Yellow Ajah
Tall, arched windows offer a view of the island of Tar Valon and the
confluence of the river Erinin beyond Southharbor, as the river starts on
its journey to Tear. Pots and plants dot the balcony outside the windows.
Chairs have been drawn up near the windows and vases containing bouquets of
of yellow flowers have been placed nearby. Several desks and clusters of
chairs have been distributed around the room, allowing for informal
discussion of Yellow Sisters' research and studies.
[ obvious exits: N ]
Sumptuously upholstered, a gold brocade chaise lounge with gilded legs rests nearby.
A large desk made of fine, thick wood stands across the room from here.
A chair made of red oak rests next to the table. [2]
Penzei Perets, Elder Sister is standing here.
A Yellow Sister glides past.
A silver-haired Aes Sedai sits here, reading.
Corele Hovian stands here with concern in her eyes.

Penzei sits down and rests on a chaise lounge.

Amarea smiles happily.

Amarea curtseys before Penzei.

look in desk
desk (here) :
a plate of kippered eel
a plate of sausages and vegetables

Penzei gestures at the door with her hand.

The door silently swings shut and lock with a soft *click*.

Penzei says 'Greetings young lady, I have received your message.'

Amarea beams a broad smile from ear to ear.

Amarea says 'I'm glad to hear you received it, Aes Sedai. Sometimes the pigeons aren't as reliable. I saw one get returned once.'

Penzei says 'So tell me...'

Penzei pauses for dramatic effect.

Penzei says 'What do you think you know of the Yellow Ajah?'

Amarea stands at ease, resting her hands at her side but nervously smoothing her skirts, as she contemplates the question.

Amarea begins, 'When I was a little girl, I saw a Yellow sister come through Lugard once. A boy in the village, loved by many, had come down with a terrible illness that our local Wisdom wasn't able to treat.'

Amarea says 'Breakbone fever, I think it was.'

Amarea shivers uncomfortably.

Amarea says 'The Wisdom's main concern was keeping the disease from spreading, once she realized that she had no way of curing it. I brought leftover bread from our bakery that was going bad anyway, because I felt like someone needed to do something, only I didn't know what I could do.'

Amarea says 'When I came over, I saw a woman with a yellow shawl, and she put her hands on him and he...jolted a bit. And then the next day, he was better, as if it had never happened.'

Amarea says 'I know the Yellows are about Healing, but I think what I learned that day is that they really care about people, not just with their weaving.'

Penzei gestures elegantly, towards the chair in front of her.

Penzei says 'Please, have a seat.'

Amarea nods thankfully, taking a seat in the open chair.

Amarea shift your pose and are now sitting here, listening with a thoughtful expression.

Penzei says 'I know the disease in which you speak, a nasty contagion that is not naturally occuring...'

Penzei says 'Removing contagions is not a weave solely used by the Yellow Ajah but... We do make it part of our culture to have that ability on hand.'

Amarea nods thoughtfully.

Penzei says 'I myself have spoken to many of the Wisdoms about such things.'

Amarea says 'I know Sheriam Sedai has training in the weave, and she says I could learn it, but it's not one I have been able to study that closely. I have the ability to Heal more serious wounds, though.'

Penzei says 'I too use the ability to cure serious wounds, as I find it to be more useful.'

Penzei says 'Surprisingly, especially in combat.'

Penzei gestures towards a tea set on the desk.

Penzei says 'Care to warm us up some tea?'

Amarea grins in spite of herself. 'After our battle the other day, I've learned that you enjoy putting yourslef into dangerous situations. I envy your bravery. I imagine you have more chances to help Heal people when you're near the fighting.'

Amarea nods in agreement.

Penzei stiffles a giggle.

Amarea sits up, studying the tea with a look of concentration as the glow of the Source springs up around her.

Amarea feels the flows of saidar coursing through her body.

Penzei says 'I don't know if I "enjoy" putting myself in danger, but I certainly will not shy away from it...'

Penzei uses her fingers as air quotes for her statement.

Penzei says 'The Yellow Ajah manifest is to use the One Power to help people.'

Amarea channels a thin thread of Fire, placing it around the teapot carefully. 'This might take a moment, I'm sorry. Fire is harder for me.'

Penzei nods in agreement.

Amarea smiles, and the teapot begins to whistle as it emits steam.

Amarea releases the flow of Fire as well as the Source, and carefully pours the now steaming hot tea into two empty cups placed besides the teapot.

Penzei says 'Helping people utilizing the One Power can mean many things, the obvious examples being curing contagions that you so have witnessed. To mending broken bones on the battlefield and protecting those who cannot protect themselves.'

Amarea helps herself to one of the cups of tea, then sits up straight and sips on the cup as she listens.

Penzei says 'So as you say I seem to enjoy putting myself in dangerous situations... however that is not the case... it is my duty as a member of the Yellow Ajah to prevent suffering and hardship."

Amarea says 'I had the chance to meet briefly with Fyra Sedai before I passed through the Arches, and she talked about how all Aes Sedai of the Yellow Ajah have a Talent in Healing, and usually in Delving as well.'

Amarea says 'Is that what separates the Yellow Ajah from other Aes Sedai? I imagine every sister I talk to would say that she works to prevent suffering and harship.'

Penzei says 'Such is the core of our beliefs, much like the Blue Ajah needs a cause for justice to uphold or the Gray Ajah their diplomatic affairs...'

Penzei says 'And in this world, one must be ready for all manner of hardship!'

Amarea grimaces abashedly.

Amarea says 'There's no shortage of that, I'm sure.'

Amarea sighs as she looks down at her cup of tea. 'A few people in the city came down with breakbone fever, after the Yellow sister had to leave on some other business. The little boy lived, but another woman I knew didn't make it. The Wisdom helped keep it from spreading, but she couldn't do what the sister could.'

Amarea senses Penzei connecting to the True Source.

Penzei reaches out with her hand, opening her palm towars the sky.

Amarea quiets herself, eyes glancing back up as she senses Penzei embracing the Source.

Penzei says 'Unfortunately... we cannot be everywhere at once...'

Amarea nods sadly.

Penzei smiles momentarily as a wisp of white smoke gathers with the other strings of the weave and then it all flashes yellow for a moment before disappearing entirely...

Amarea says 'It led to me wanting to learn some herbal lore, though. I'm actually pretty good at it. I've been studying since I was a girl...' She trails off, watching the Yellow sister's weave forming.

Penzei says 'To understand nature is to understand Healing.'

Amarea isn't in touch with saidar to release anything.

Penzei says 'Wisdom lore is a great tool for understanding health and healing.'

Penzei says 'Tell me, what are we made of?'

Penzei she shakes her hand out awaiting her answer.

Amarea blinks her eyes innocently.

Penzei says 'We humans... Do you know what we are made of?'

Amarea says 'Umm. Well, I know that we are made of quite a bit of water, at least.'

Penzei smirks.

Penzei says 'And ?'

Amarea says 'Bones, and skin, and blood. And connective bits that keep it all together.'

Amarea says 'Muscles.'

Penzei says 'Go simpler dear, what is all of that in the end'

Amarea tilts her head quizzically. 'I don't know, Aes Sedai.'

Penzei says 'We come from dust and to dust we shall...?'

Amarea says 'Shall return?'

Penzei says 'What is dust ?'

Amarea says 'Well...I suppose it's like earth, or dirt.'

Penzei smiles happily.

Penzei says 'Yes, and is earth not one of the strands of the weave?'

Penzei says 'So that being said, what is the final thing holding it all together?'

Penzei says 'You can mix dust and water together all day and get nothing but mud.'

Amarea nods in realization, now. 'That would be Spirit, Aes Sedai.'

Amarea says 'The threads that breathe life into the equation.'

Penzei says 'The Spirit that we all have within us that binds us to the weave...'

Penzei says 'Once you understand that, you can understand how to cure anything. Except of course...Death.'

Penzei says 'Our patterns are already written in the weave as they say...'

Penzei says 'So we do our best to fullfil our destiny.'

Amarea says 'Beggin' your pardon, Aes Sedai, but I think it is probably a little more complicated than that. I know the same recipes as my ma taught me to make pies, and breads, and all sorts of things. But she has such experience, and I still can't quite make a few of them quite as well as she can.'

Penzei says 'Ahhh, but I didn't say it would be easy , did I?'

Amarea grins playfully.

Penzei seems fairly pleased with herself.

Amarea says 'Well, what exactly is the Talent for Healing like, then?'

Amarea says 'I mean, does it mean that when you form the flows, your weave just...works better? Or do the flows just come that much more easily to you than they might to another woman?'

Penzei says 'You put your mind to it, dear. Nothing comes easily. You must practice, you must work, hard in your studies and you must do!'

Penzei says 'The more that you put yourself into what you are doing, the better the outcome will be.'

Penzei says 'I personally have a knack for battlefield healing, but during my Accepted days I had to learn to branch myself into different things...'

Penzei says 'Take research for example, we are always looking at the ways the Dark powers manipulate viral contagions...'

Penzei says 'Or perhaps when I traveled the lands speaking to the Wisdoms and getting a network of communication between the smaller communities, so that should contagions or disease spread that cannot be checked, the White Tower could react immediately.'

Penzei leans back again into her lounger, fiddling with her exquisite gown, making sure it doesn't wrinkle.

Amarea's eyes light up with curiosity.

Amarea says 'A network of communication with the Wisdoms?'

Amarea says 'If Lugard had had such a thing when I was a girl, maybe more people would have survived the breakbone fever, like that little boy was able to.'

Amarea smiles sadly.

Amarea says 'I have to admit, I have heard mixed gossip about how the Yellow sisters feel about herbs. I didn't know if that would be something you admired or not.'

Penzei says 'Like I said, Wisdom Lore has its place'

Penzei says 'Sometimes it is quite a bit easier to rely on herbs and potions to cure simple things.'

Penzei says 'Something you should remember when you are out in the wilds... hurt and alone'

Amarea beams a broad smile from ear to ear.

Penzei says 'Does that give you the insight you require, dear?'

Amarea contemplates the question. 'Well, mostly, Aes Sedai. I guess, I am curious if the Talent for Healing is something that you can obviously tell, or if it has to be teased out through a lot of observation as a woman gains more skill. Is it something you can test for?'

Amarea says 'I am hoping to meet with an Aes Sedai from every Ajah before I pick one to apprentice under, and I have to admit, I started with the Yellows because I didn't even know if it's something that would be an option to me. I have no problem thinking of which Ajahs I admire and might aspire to one day join. It's the part about ruling some out and whittling down the list that I'm having a hard time with.'

Amarea blushes furiously.

Penzei says 'Not so much as you can use the One Power itself...It's mostly the same as any other channeling ability. Without purpose it will feel silly, but when faced with dire consequences, I'm sure that you will find the the willpower to succeed'

Penzei says 'You must feel it from within.'

Amarea grimaces abashedly.

Penzei says 'You either have it inside of you or you don't. That doesn't mean you can't learn cheap tricks to save yourself and others in battle, but you won't cure diseases or eradicate contagions of the Dark!'

Amarea says 'I can't say I feel that way when I try to Heal things. I'm glad to help other people, and I've been able to do that when Shadowspawn have been about.'

Penzei says 'Such is the way of things, dear. You either are or you aren't, and knowing is half the of the battle.'

Amarea nods, looking a little crestfallen. 'Well, I'll keep trying, but I'm guessing I probably don't, then.'

Amarea pauses, a curious look on her face. 'Though, I will say, that when I use the weaves for Locating things, I do feel a certain sense of...intimacy with the weave that is unlike any other I've learned.'

Amarea says 'And Sheriam Sedai said I picked up Traveling very naturally, much faster than she would have expected. Maybe I have some Talents that lie elsewhere.'

Penzei says 'Maybe you should seek the Brown Ajah next!'

Penzei giggles.

Amarea says 'I have one more question, if you have time.'

Penzei says 'Of course, dear.'

Amarea says 'I am guessing you get asked a lot about why you chose the Yellow Ajah. But I think you've already spoken about that a bit, and I have a good idea of what your answer might be. But I actually would be more curious to learn what helped you decide -not- to pick some other Ajahs you were considering at the time.'

Penzei puts her feet flat on the ground, leans forward and takes Amarea’s hands into her hands.

Amarea blinks her eyes innocently.

Penzei says 'You must do what brings you joy, my dear...'

Penzei says 'For Sarinda Sedai, it is hunting down male channelers who seek to burn the world...'

Penzei says 'For Chloro Sedai, it is ensuring the continued existence of humankind in peace...'

Penzei says 'For myself, it is helping those who are in need and who are broken...'

Penzei says 'You must do what you must do!'

Penzei says 'Does that answer your question?'

Amarea says 'The call to help others, especially through your Healing, was too strong to ignore.'

Penzei shrugs helplessly.

Penzei says 'Of course, it is what I live for... and the finer things of life.'

Penzei giggles.

Amarea grins playfully.

Penzei lets go of Amarea’s hands and leans back again on the lounger.

Amarea says 'I think it does answer my question, Penzei Sedai. And I thank you for your time.'

Penzei gestures with her hand.

The door smoothly swings open.

Penzei says 'You are dismissed, dear.'

Penzei says 'Walk in the Light.'

Amarea says 'I hope you enjoy the food. I am not as good a cook as I am a baker, but I am learning.'

Amarea stands up.

Amarea nods at the desk.

Penzei smiles happily.

Amarea curtseys before Penzei.

Amarea says 'The Light favor you, Aes Sedai. Good evening.'

Evaine

Re: Finding Acceptance, Part One: The Finer Things of Life

Post by Evaine » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:40 am

Penzei: 1 qp
Amarea: 1 qp

Please "receive" your offline RP reward.