Growing Pains

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Elmitsu

Growing Pains

Post by Elmitsu » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:07 pm

Summary: Accepted Elmitsu receives another lesson from Keshara Sedai.

Characters: Elmitsu, Keshara

+-+-+-+

Keshara says 'Hello, Accepted Elmitsu.'

Keshara covers a yawn with one of her hands.

Elmitsu says 'The Light keep you, Keshara Sedai. Thank you for meeting with me once more.'

Yesterday’s tears have vanished in favor of the Accepted’s eager expression.

Keshara says 'Of course, Child. You had a particular topic you wanted to cover, yes?'

Elmitsu nods dutifully, "Yes, Aes Sedai. I am interested in learning more about the Blue Ajah."

Elmitsu amends, "I . . . I think it is the one to whom I wish to apprentice. But I should learn more first."

Elmitsu says 'And that is if you'd even have me.'

Elmitsu does not try to sound pitiful, but it must come naturally.

Keshara looks at the Accepted before walking over to a nearby shelf, looking through pieces of paper.

Keshara finds the sheet she is looking for and turns to face the Accepted.

Elmitsu regards the Aes Sedai with eyes large and blue enough to invite one ice fishing.

Keshara looks down at the sheet of paper and changes her voice much higher in an imitation of the Accepted 'How do I stop bad things from happening? Or, if I can't--and I know I can't--how do I help with the gifts the Creator has given me?'

Elmitsu can't decide whether to smile or blush as the Aes Sedai reads her own words back to her. She splits the difference.

Keshara returns to her normal voice immediately 'Is that the purpose that you wished to meet, Child?

Elmitsu says 'Yes, Aes Sedai. I want . . .'

Elmitsu looks around the Conservatory, inclining her head in deference to Anaiya Sedai.

Keshara raises an eyebrow in anticipation.

Elmitsu finishes, "I want my life to have purpose."

Keshara says 'Do you feel purposeless, Child? You do not feel like you can make a difference, regardless of your ability to channel the One Power?'

Elmitsu says 'I am where I am supposed to be, Aes Sedai . . . I know that.'

Elmitsu says 'When I was a Novice, I often wished that I'd never channeled.'

Elmitsu says 'That I was back home in Arafel. But that home doesn't exist anymore. And wishing can't undo . . .'

Keshara sits down, motioning that the girl can follow suit.

Elmitsu appears on the verge of completing her thought before decisively clacking her mouth shut.

Elmitsu sit down on a stout oaken chair.

Elmitsu alights upon the chair Keshara Sedai indicated.

Keshara steeples her hands together as she regards the Accepted 'What do you consider purposeful? What do you think would bring value to a life?

Elmitsu continues, a touch uncertainly, though gaining steam as she rolls along, "I think all life has value and deserves dignity. But I think standing up for what you believe in, for what is right . . . I understand that's part of the Blue Ajah's mission. That's why I wished to speak with you."

Keshara says 'That is all well and good, but what do you personally find would be a purposeful use of your time, since you are concerned about it?'

Elmitsu chooses her words carefully, as if she were picking clothes for a party, "I want to help when bad things happen . . . I want to stop them from happening if I can. I don't want bad men to get away with their crimes when they hurt people."

Elmitsu says gravely, "This world is full of bad men, Keshara Sedai . . . probably some women too."

Elmitsu can't help herself from adding, "But more men."

Keshara raises an eyebrow but otherwise says nothing.

Elmitsu says 'I am glad we are going to give Neisa's family closure. Too many stories in this world don't get the ending they deserve.'

Keshara says 'What, then, determines if a man, or a woman, is bad? It is illegal for me to walk into Amadacia, after all.'

Elmitsu says 'I think there is a difference between le-gal-i-ty and il-le-gal-i-ty and right and wrong, Aes Sedai.'

Elmitsu trips a little over the polysllabic words but manages to stick the landing.

Keshara waves a hand in Elmitsu's direction to continue.

Elmitsu says 'Like you said, your very presence is illegal in Amador. But you deserve to exist, Aes Sedai. A law cannot contradict that.'

Elmitsu says 'My ma used to say what is right is not always easy, and easy not always right.'

Keshara mutters 'I have found that it is the simple things are not easy. For some reason.'

Elmitsu says 'The Creator does not give us challenges we cannot face, I think.'

Elmitsu says 'I hope.'

Keshara says 'One of my Sisters was under the impression you were leaning either Gray or Blue, to pursue for an Apprenticeship. What dwould make you a successful student of the Gray Ajah?'

Elmitsu thinks about this for a moment, her often fidgety hands schooled to stillness in her lap, "I like making friends, and I think a Gray must be good at that too . . . in order to build consensus, to help others compromise."

Keshara leans back in the chair, getting a good look at the girl.

Elmitsu does not wilt under the Aes Sedai's scrutiny, which may be a refreshing change of pace from her usual presentation.

Keshara says 'What about the Blue Ajah? You asked for an audience to help you determine who you should Apprentice with. What questions do you have?'

Elmitsu says 'What do you expect from a Blue Ajah apprentice, Aes Sedai?'

Elmitsu says 'What makes an Accepted an ideal candidate?'

Elmitsu tacks the second question onto the first as if they were a pair.

Keshara says 'We look for girls who have sound judgment and are level-headed. One whose perception is keen and resolution is steadfast.'

Elmitsu takes a mental inventory of this list, thoughts churning like clouds in her saucer-sized eyes.

Keshara says 'The Blue Ajah does not quickly enter into Apprenticeships, but we freely guide girls in their studies and pursuits.'

Elmitsu admits frankly, "I could use a little guidance."

Keshara raises her eyebrow at the word 'little.'

Elmitsu emote: Elmitsu bites back a tiny smile at the Aes Sedai's expression.

Keshara says 'I would like to see what you think between right and wrong versus what is lawful, as you mentioned before.'

Keshara strokes her chin as she considers the Accepted.

Elmitsu says 'Law is as good as custom that becomes it. Some cultures have terrible traditions—you mentioned Amadicia, where the Children persecute women who can channel. But the Seanchan are even much worse.'

Keshara says 'And thus, what constitutes Justice that the White Tower should uphold?'

Elmitsu says 'They say it is law to chain the marath'damane, women who can channel.'

Elmitsu manages to italicize the word marath'damane with her mouth despite tripping over it some.

Elmitsu says 'The White Tower must act on behalf of the Light. We serve the Creator, Aes Sedai.'

Elmitsu says 'That is righteous justice and should stand in for the law of men, in my opinion.'

Elmitsu says 'I do not think that means we should be lawless.'

Keshara says 'One moment, Child.'

Keshara reaches over to a nearby glass of water and takes a drink.

Keshara says 'Child, what do you know of ethics? How would yuo define that word?'

Elmitsu mouths the word, "ethics" under her breath.

Elmitsu says 'It's like a code of conduct, Aes Sedai?'

Keshara says 'Are you asking me to answer my own question, Accepted?'

Elmitsu says a little more confidently, "It's about the difference between right and wrong, Aes Sedai. I should not doubt myself."

Keshara says 'Before I give you some assignments, what questions do you have for me? To help you understand the Blue Ajah better for the choice you must make.'

Elmitsu says 'They say the Blue is devoted to causes. Do you have one that sways your devotion, Keshara Sedai?'

Keshara nods at the Accepted.

Keshara says 'Mine is the caretaking of the initiates. I strongly believe that we should invest in the girls we induct into the White Tower early, so they have what is needed to blossom into Aes Sedai in the future.'

Keshara mutters 'Sometimes, very far into the future.'

Elmitsu blinks her eyes like a doll.

Elmitsu says 'That is a worthy cause indeed, Aes Sedai.'

Keshara says 'I think so at least, child.'

Elmitsu smiles sweetly at the Aes Sedai.

Keshara rolls her eyes.

Elmitsu 's smile falters only a moment. She really must be sweet!

Elmitsu says 'I am making travel preparations as well, Aes Sedai, to deliver the message you entrusted with me.'

Keshara nods.

Elmitsu says 'How do you tell right from wrong, Aes Sedai?'

Elmitsu perks up a little in her chair as if she were particularly interested in this answer.

Keshara stares at the Accepted a moment.

Keshara says 'That is what your training in the White Tower will teach you. Sometimes in the smallest of lessons. What is the right response to the death of our servant, Neisa?'

Elmitsu says 'Well, mine was fear, then anger, then hurt. In that order, Aes Sedai.'

Elmitsu says 'Fear for what did it, anger that it happened, and hurt for her and her family.'

Keshara says 'But what should the White Tower have done? What was right and what was wrong, once we learned of the death?'

Elmitsu says 'I think we are doing the right thing by telling her family. I wish we had caught the beast that mauled her and brought it to justice.'

Elmitsu 's tone is a little fierce despite her coy demeanor.

Keshara nods once.

Keshara says 'Do you have any other questions for me?'

Elmitsu says 'I will probably think of more later, but not for now, Aes Sedai. Thank you.'

Keshara says 'Then I would like you to send a letter to the Blue Ajah detailing why you are interested in possibly Apprenticing the Ajah, and what it is you expect to learn from us.'

Elmitsu emote: Elmitsu nods as she digests this, "Yes, Aes Sedai."

Keshara says 'And secondly.'

Elmitsu says 'May I mention Neisa in the letter?'

Keshara says 'You may mention whatever motivates you, child.'

Elmitsu nods again, something kindled in her eyes.

Keshara continues 'And secondly...'

Keshara walks over to the shelf to pick up some papers, turns to look at the Accepted, and then returns to the desk empty-handed.

Keshara says 'On second thought...let us start there. I am not sure you are ready for the next assignment.'

Elmitsu watches Keshara trot to the desk with fascination. She continues to clasp her hands together in her lap. Her knuckles are a little white.

Elmitsu says 'I am ready, Aes Sedai.'

Elmitsu says 'I am.'

Elmitsu stops there.

Keshara raises her eyebrow, letting silence linger as she regards the girl.

Keshara says 'Very well.'

Keshara returns to the shelf and picks out three pieces of paper from the stack.

Keshara walks back to the desk, placing three sheet of paper in front of the Accepted, side by side.

Elmitsu contains her enthusiasm, if barely, as she watches Keshara place the papers.

Elmitsu emote: Elmitsu looks at each paper in turn.

Keshara says 'Each letter in front of you is a request to the White Tower for judgment or action.'

Keshara hovers a hand over the sheet on the far left.

Elmitsu 's eyes track Keshara's hand to the left paper. She studies it eagerly.

Keshara says 'This one is a Cairhienin Lord, asking the White Tower to charge the Tower Guard with finding a fugitive. A poor man who assaulted the Lord when the lord was lawfully acquiring the man's horse.'

Keshara says 'What other information would you need to know in order to make a decision on the matter?'

Elmitsu says 'When you say lawfully acquiring the man's horse -- were they engaged in a transaction? Had the man offered to sell his horse?'

Keshara shakes her head 'The horse is on the Lord's land, owned by his peasant. By Cairhienin law, he is allowed to take the horse as his own.'

Keshara says 'Or rather, this is the law that the Lord has made on his land.'

Elmitsu says 'How was the Lord assaulted? Was he hurt badly?'

Keshara shakes her head 'He was struck in the face, enough of a distraction for the man to ride away.'

Elmitsu says 'Then I would say that man has suffered enough living under such a Lord as that.'

Elmitsu says 'And no matter for the White Tower's justice.'

Keshara says 'Even though the man fled to Tar Valon to escape the law of Cairhien?'

Elmitsu says 'I would not think the White Tower would concern itself with a horse thief who owned his horse. At least I would not.'

Keshara says 'But by law, he didn't own his horse. The Lord did.'

Elmitsu says 'He owned it before the Lord commanded it from him. I do not think that is a good law.'

Keshara says 'So, each time we dispense Justice, we must first make a verdict on if the law is a good law?'

Elmitsu says 'That man needs that horse a lot more than that Lord does, I know that's true.'

Elmitsu says 'Well, if it is true that not all laws are good--such as the one in Amadicia that would kill a woman for channeling--then it must be so that we are called sometimes to determine if a law is indeed . . . good.'

Elmitsu says 'Or not. I do not think justice is black and white. Is it?'

Keshara says 'Then how does one determine right from wrong, Accepted?'

Elmitsu says 'I use my gut, usually, but I'm not sure you'll like that answer.'

Keshara says 'based on your track record, no, I don't believe I would.'

Keshara removes the sheet on the left 'I believe we have finished with this scenario.'

Elmitsu says 'Yes, Aes Sedai.'

Keshara moves the second sheet of paper closer to the Accepted.

Elmitsu looks at the second paper as it comes into view.

Keshara says 'This is also a scenario where the White Tower was asked to assist in bringing a criminal to justice. Please read it.'

Elmitsu reads the paper slowly outloud, "A young woman has gone missing and has been suspected of being taken by the Seanchan in Andor. Her family writes for help."

Elmitsu stumbles over the word, "Tarendrelle."

Keshara says 'Upon receiving the letter, what are your questions?'

Elmitsu says 'Why does the family suspect the Seanchan?'

Elmitsu says 'Perhaps they have a history of women who can channel in the family.'

Elmitsu says 'I'd want to know when they'd last seen her.'

Elmitsu says 'What she was wearing.'

Elmitsu says 'I'd need a good description, of course, a drawing would be better!'

Keshara says 'Supposing those are provided, except for the drawing, what would you do?'

Elmitsu says 'I'd want to know who her friends are, if she had any that I could speak to. You learn a lot from a girl's friends.'

Elmitsu says 'I myself could do nothing.'

Elmitsu says 'I am one woman against the Seanchan, who seem almost like a mono-lith.'

Elmitsu says 'But if we knew where to look, we could spread the word, see if we could rustle something up.'

Keshara says 'What would you recommend the White Tower do in such a case? I missing young woman, potentially taken by the Seanchan in Andor.'

Elmitsu says 'I do not think we could invade.'

Elmitsu says 'I am not sure what we could do. I think if anything were done it would have to be stealthily, and I'm not sure if the life of sisters is worth risking for that.'

Keshara says 'Even on the off-chance that the girl was enslaved as a channeler?'

Elmitsu says gravely, "They have many girls enslaved as channelers there."

Elmitsu says 'I wish we could free them all, but we haven't yet.'

Keshara says 'That goes back to your letter, Child. How do we decide who to help and who not to help. You seem to be able to make the decision more readily than I anticipated.'

Elmitsu says 'I learned a long time ago that you can't save everyone, Aes Sedai.'

Keshara says 'You learned this a long time ago, did you? Then why your fixation with the body in the Tower?'

Keshara says 'Was it more important because it was closer to you? Where you lived?'

Elmitsu says 'I burned down my family’s barn, Aes Sedai.'

Elmitsu says 'The first time I channeled.'

Elmitsu says 'I was in the hay loft. With a boy.'

Elmitsu blinks her eyes like a doll.

Keshara retrieves the third sheet of paper from the desk, and tucks it away.

Elmitsu says 'We almost got through all three, Aes Sedai. I told you I was ready.'

Elmitsu 's smile is a little wobbly before smoothing out.

Keshara says 'Yes, you did say that.'

Keshara says 'That will be all of that lesson for tonight, I think.'

Elmitsu says 'I learned a lot, Aes Sedai. Thank you.'

Keshara says 'Before I dismiss you, do you have any other questions for me?'

Elmitsu says 'I will save them for another time, Keshara Sedai. You have given me so many things to think about. I will be up all night.'

Keshara says 'Then you are dismissed. Do not forget the letter I asked you to send.'

Keshara waves a hand in the air a few times.

Elmitsu seems to have mostly recovered from her previous confession as she rises to face the Aes Sedai, "Yes, Keshara Sedai. I will work on it on the road."

Elmitsu stands up.

Elmitsu says 'And thank you again.'

Elmitsu bobs a near perfect curtsey on her way toward the door.

Evaine

Re: Growing Pains

Post by Evaine » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:43 am

Keshara: 1 qp
Elmitsu: 1 qp

Please "receive" your offline reward.