Grow up, Elmitsu

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Elmitsu

Grow up, Elmitsu

Post by Elmitsu » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:25 pm

Summary: In which Accepted Elmitsu receives another penance, this time from Ashlynn Sedai.

Characters: Elmitsu, Ashlynn

(This interaction directly preceded this one: https://forums.wotmud.info/viewtopic.php?f=102&t=18499)

+-+-+-+-

Solarium of the Yellow Ajah
Tall, arched windows offer a view of the island of Tar Valon and the
confluence of the river Erinin beyond Southharbor, as the river starts on
its journey to Tear. Pots and plants dot the balcony outside the windows.
Chairs have been drawn up near the windows and vases containing bouquets of
of yellow flowers have been placed nearby. Several desks and clusters of
chairs have been distributed around the room, allowing for informal
discussion of Yellow Sisters' research and studies.
Sumptuously upholstered, a gold brocade chaise lounge with gilded legs rests nearby.
A large desk made of fine, thick wood stands across the room from here.
A chair made of red oak rests next to the table. [2]
Lady Ashlynn Alessandri is standing here.
A Yellow Sister glides past.
A silver-haired Aes Sedai sits here, reading.
Corele Hovian stands here with concern in her eyes.

Elmitsu peeks her head in uncertainly after not receiving a response.

Ashlynn looks at Elmitsu.

Ashlynn says 'I was just about to open the door, Accepted.'

Ashlynn gestures to a chair and invites you to sit.

Elmitsu says 'Forgive me for being hasty, Aes Sedai.'

Ashlynn gestures at the door with her hand.

Elmitsu curtseys primly like an apple bobbing in the water.

The door silently swings shut and lock with a soft *click*.

Elmitsu rises and claims the chair that Ashlynn Sedai indicated. She looks at the Yellow Sister with expectant eyes.

Ashlynn puts together a complex weave of various elements, warding the room from any outsiders.

Elmitsu watches the ward come together with a measure of fascination creasing her forehead.

Ashlynn looks at you sternly, sizing you up.

Elmitsu wilts only very slightly under the Aes Sedai's scrutiny. She tries to keep her back straight.

Ashlynn says 'Tell me what you have been up to lately, Accepted. Lean back on your dagger and let your tongue go free.'

Elmitsu considers the question at hand as she begins to speak, rambling . . . a little.

Elmitsu says 'I met with Chloro Sedai recently to learn more about the Gray Ajah.'

Ashlynn says 'And what did you learn?'

Elmitsu says 'I went to a performance at the Tremalking Spice with Evaine Sedai! Dorthy was performing. Maybe she'll become a gleeman. I met a real gleeman later.'

Ashlynn nods, her green eyes sparkling.

Elmitsu says 'I liked what Chloro Sedai said about the Gray--the quiet work behind the scenes to help steer the land and its leaders. It seems like important work.'

Ashlynn says 'I have heard you are also interested in the Blue Ajah. Have you met with any Blue sisters?'

Elmitsu looks as Ashlynn hesitantly, "Should I keep going? I've been up to lots of stuff, Aes Sedai."

Elmitsu adds, "I am meeting with Keshara Sedai in about an hour, Ashlynn Sedai."

Ashlynn says 'Excellent. I am sure that you will learn much from Sister Keshara.'

Elmitsu says 'She said she would talk to me about the body.'

Elmitsu says 'We're going to . . . crack the case. I just know it.'

Ashlynn says 'The body? The case?'

Ashlynn says 'Oh. That dreadful thing you found.'

Ashlynn walks over to the girl and rubs her shoulders in a consoling manner.

Elmitsu nods, resisting the urge to fidget with the ribbon in her hair by clamping her hands in her lap.

Ashlynn says 'It gets easier the next time, and the next.'

Elmitsu says 'I know that's true. I have already had a next.'

Ashlynn says 'To be more to the point, I am more interested in hearing about your interactions with outsiders. You mentioned a potential Gleeman that performed at the local tavern.'

Ashlynn says 'You know that sort of place is not one that girls like yourself should be seen in, lest you earn yourself a reputation.'

Elmitsu says 'Oh, yes! I met a -real- gleeman after named Astrid. And I only went because Evaine Sedai said that I could accompany her.'

Ashlynn says 'That certainly makes it different.'

Ashlynn says 'Astrid is an old name. I am surprised that one is still kicking.'

Elmitsu says 'I met an Ogier! She was really nice. Her name was Stela. And a Thiefbane named Roberto. Do you know anything about the Thiefbane? They hunt down criminals.'

Elmitsu chatters on like a box, clearly put at her ease with the Yellow Sister.

Ashlynn says 'I am not so sure about Stela. I am not sure if I met that one before.'

Elmitsu says 'He was pretty funny. I brought him some wine and food, and we talked for a while.'

Ashlynn twitches her nose at the mention of wine.

Ashlynn says 'I sure do love my wine.'

Ashlynn says 'Was it that fine Ghealdanian red wine?'

Elmitsu says 'No! It was from Andor! He said that he thought I'd done my research because the Thiefbane headquarters are in Baerlon.'

Elmitsu says 'But I hadn't. I was just lucky.'

Ashlynn says 'Some of the finest wines come from Illian, you know.'

Elmitsu says 'I didn't know that. I am . . . trying to be more sophisticated though.'

Elmitsu trips only very slightly over the many syllables in the word 'sophisticated.'

Ashlynn says 'In what way do you mean?'

Elmitsu says 'I think Aes Sedai know things like that . . . what wine is good, how many coppers to tip the stable hand, that sort of thing. You don't learn that in lessons, but you have to learn just the same.'

Ashlynn says 'You may as well begin to learn about that now before you attempt to acquire the shawl.'

Ashlynn says 'After all, you can travel relatively freely now.'

Ashlynn says 'Make a good impression.'

Elmitsu nods agreeably.

Ashlynn says 'What sort of food did you have? A lot can be told about a man by the foods he eats.'

Elmitsu giggles.

Elmitsu says 'I made him eel because we get so much from the River Erinin.'

Elmitsu says 'Freshwater eel can be a -little- tough, but I am becoming a better cook.'

Ashlynn contorts her face in a disgusting manner and spits at the mention of eel.

Ashlynn says 'May as well eat a bloody snake.'

Elmitsu says 'Someday I will make for you my ma's fish-head stew. It's really quite good, Ashlynn Sedai.'

Ashlynn says 'Thanks, but no thanks.'

Ashlynn says 'Although I am partial to fresh caught salmon from any of the rivers, I do not like most other creatures of the water.'

Elmitsu 's nose crinkles a little as she smiles at the Aes Sedai.

Elmitsu says 'I will remember that, Aes Sedai.'

Ashlynn says 'Alligator is interesting. From Illian. Can you believe that? Eating an alligator.'

Ashlynn says 'Crabs are great, but hard work to eat. Luckily with the One Power it is like a snap of the fingers.'

Elmitsu giggles, "You are making me hungry, Aes Sedai!"

Ashlynn says 'And lobster, despite its connotations. With lots of butter.'

Ashlynn grins evilly.

Ashlynn says 'What else did you talk about with Roberto?'

Elmitsu sighs as she repeats, "butter" to herself.

Elmitsu says 'I told him I was interested in the Blue Ajah, so we
talked about justice clans for a while.'

Elmitsu says 'He challenged me to find out as much as I could about the Thiefbane here in the Tower, but I haven't really learned anything yet.'

Ashlynn says 'Have you made any attempts?'

Elmitsu says 'OH. He told me the funniest story!'

Elmitsu shakes her head, "No, Aes Sedai. I had planned to ask Keshara Sedai for her perspective."

Ashlynn says 'From what I can remember, they are a loosely organized group of thiefcatchers.'

Ashlynn says 'They have an extensive network allowing them to know who is wanted by which specific nation.'

Elmitsu 's eyes gleam a little, "I don't think catcher is the right word."

Elmitsu rushes, "They kill them!"

Ashlynn says 'Yes, but first, they have to catch them.'

Ashlynn says 'Once they catch them, they can take their head. For proof that the deed is done.'

Ashlynn says 'It's all about perspective.'

Ashlynn says 'Do you think a Thiefbane would chase after a Child of the Light who was wanted for murdering several novices?'

Elmitsu can't decide whether to giggle or blush. She does both.

Elmitsu says 'They should! But would they?'

Ashlynn says 'That is the question, yes.'

Elmitsu says 'Taking a life is stealing, right?'

Elmitsu says 'Because you took it by force.'

Elmitsu says 'It's also murder.'

Elmitsu says 'So. Yes. I think they would!'

Elmitsu appears quite pleased at this feat of logical reasoning.

Ashlynn says 'I don't think they would.'

Elmitsu emote: Elmitsu looks a little crestfallen.

Ashlynn says 'I don't think they have. Maybe if they caught him in the act and it was an attempt to provide defense for those poor girls.'

Elmitsu looks around the Solarium, "I got stabbed by one once! But I survived."

Ashlynn says 'Do you have any idea why they might not chase after Tower wanted men who happen to be Children of the Light?'

Elmitsu says 'Well, Roberto told me a story about his mentor Rico Suave.'

Elmitsu says 'He said Rico Suave sat him down when Roberto first joined the Thiefbane and took out his dagger.'

Elmitsu says 'Rico handed the dagger to Roberto and said, "If I ever interfere in Tower business, stab me with this."'

Elmitsu says 'Is that not why, Aes Sedai?'

Elmitsu says 'I imagine few men would be audacious enough to interfere with the White Tower.'

Ashlynn says 'I don't think it is why. I think that more illustrates Rico's distaste with White Tower politics than the question I asked.'

Ashlynn says 'I imagine that it would be something to do with the fact that the Children de facto rule over Amadicia and...'

Elmitsu says 'Well, there priorities are not our priorities, and they probably wish to be able to operate unhindered in Amadicia.'

Ashlynn winces as she utters the next part.

Ashlynn says 'Provide for rendering of justice within Amadicia.'

Elmitsu says this nearly at the same time as the Aes Sedai.

Ashlynn says 'Do you see how it could become complicated if an overall recognized authority of an entire nation is hunted down as if they were common murderers?'

Ashlynn says 'Yes, exactly.'

Elmitsu nods with insight blooming in her saucer-sized eyes as she is led to this conclusion.

Ashlynn says 'That would cause a political incident that might lead to the Thiefbane being unable to execute warrants within Amadicia.'

Ashlynn says 'That goes for any other justice authority. You won't see them hunting a Companion for being wanted in Tear, for example.'

Elmitsu says 'That makes sense, Aes Sedai.'

Ashlynn says 'What else did you discuss with Roberto?'

Elmitsu says 'He said I should try to find their headquarters in Baerlon . . . I think that was mostly it? He got called away when Shadowspawn set upon Caemlyn.'

Elmitsu says 'I tried to write him a letter, but I was having trouble at the coop.'

Ashlynn says 'I see.'

Elmitsu says 'I think I finally figured it out though.'

Ashlynn says 'That is good. What was the letter about? Do you recall the contents?'

Elmitsu says 'Oh, I told him I'd bring him a wine and learn all about the Thiefbane and become a master spy!'

Ashlynn leaps back with a look of incredulousness on her face.

Ashlynn says 'A master spy? For whom?!'

Elmitsu says 'Oh, I was just teasing. I was talking to him about wanting to become a Blue and what that would mean.'

Ashlynn strokes her chin thoughtfully.

Elmitsu says 'I talk a lot, but I can be sneaky too!'

Elmitsu tries to hold herself as still as possible despite the manic energy that clearly thrums in her tiny body.

Ashlynn gets a stern look in her eyes as she takes in Elmitsu sitting there.

Ashlynn says 'Remember the first oath. You may not be bound, but you are to tell the truth.'

Elmitsu says dutifully, "Yes, Aes Sedai."

Ashlynn says 'Well it appears that you are no master spy, teasing or not.'

Ashlynn says 'That letter was intercepted.'

Ashlynn says 'Or rather, it was found.'

Elmitsu says 'Yeah. I never sent that one.'

Elmitsu is carrying:
a fine quill pen
a hitching harness
a high-cantled saddle
sixteen copper pennys
a large number of gold crowns (23)
a sheet of paper
[2] a stable ticket
a mirrored lantern

Ashlynn says 'You ought to be more careful about what you put down to paper and leave in the trash heap.'

Elmitsu says 'Am I in trouble? I didn't know we shouldn't talk to Thiefbanes.'

Ashlynn brushes aside the girl's questions and continues.

Ashlynn says 'I want to know the whole truth about all of this. '

Ashlynn says 'The different wines - this could be innocuous, but it could mean something else. Does it?'

Elmitsu says 'No, Aes Sedai. I just heard the ones from Ghealdan were good.'

Ashlynn says 'Did you seek Roberto out, or did he seek you out?'

Elmitsu says 'I asked him if he would like to chat with me in Tar Valon.'

Ashlynn says 'What was your goal in speaking with Roberto?'

Elmitsu says 'I like to make new friends. Sometimes they have a different perspective.'

Elmitsu says 'That's how I met Stela and Dorthy and Martha the Wisdom.'

Ashlynn says 'What were you looking for a different perspective on from the master Thiefbane?'

Elmitsu says 'The Thiefbane is concerned with Justice.'

Elmitsu adds, "I did ask him if he'd heard about the body. That's when he told me the story about Rico Suave."

Ashlynn gestures around her, pointing at everything.

Elmitsu says 'I know I keep talking about it. But . . . it's mine. I have to find out what happened.'

Ashlynn says 'The entire White Tower is concerned with Justice. Why did you feel the need to talk to an outside organization to learn more? There are more than enough books and Aes Sedai here that can offer you a thousand different perspectives.'

Elmitsu says fiercely, half under her breath, "I just have to."

Ashlynn says 'You should mind yourself and who you talk to outside of these halls. Now you are asking him about what you found. Remember what Sister Aelrena told you? What I told you?'

Ashlynn says 'Now you told an outsider about what you found. Do you remember what I told you about causing a scandal?'

Elmitsu looks down to her lap and takes great interest in whatever she finds there.

Ashlynn says 'Pay attention.'

Ashlynn says 'Do you remember what I told you the other day?'

Elmitsu says 'Yes, Aes Sedai, I do. I really enjoyed our conversation.'

Elmitsu 's saucer-sized eyes are wet with unshed tears, but she does not cry.

Ashlynn says 'I am glad you enjoyed it, but it sounds like you might not have learned the lesson.'

Ashlynn says 'Have you told anyone else about the body besides Roberto? Outsiders, that is. People not affiliated with the White Tower, Tower Guard, or the Gaidin?'

Elmitsu says 'I learned it, I did. I . . . I just can't stop thinking about it.'

Ashlynn says 'You did not. You talked about it. Again'

Ashlynn says 'Apparently it was not enough to wait for Sister Keshara to work on the case.'

Elmitsu says 'I thought I could trust him. But I made a mistake. I am sorry, Aes Sedai.'

Elmitsu says 'I know I've disappointed you.'

Elmitsu blinks back the tears that she is in danger of spilling. They have not yet come.

Ashlynn says 'There is not much else to do now, but you must understand that you are not to speak of the body or the case to anyone else.'

Elmitsu focuses on her breathing.

Elmitsu says 'May I speak to Keshara Sedai about it, Ashlynn Sedai?'

Ashlynn says 'You may speak about it to Sister Keshara, Aelrena, myself, perhaps Kitiara.'

Elmitsu closes her eyes briefly as if committing the list of names to memory.

Ashlynn says 'Let us try not to continue to spread the information further.'

Ashlynn says 'I cannot recall any others at the moment. It would make most sense for you to be able to speak about it to the sisters of the Blue, since it did happen in their wing.'

Elmitsu says 'Are you mad at me, Aes Sedai?'

Ashlynn says 'Obviously, I know about it, otherwise we wouldn't be here. And Sister Aelrena knows about it. After all she is the one who gave you such a lashing.'

Ashlynn says 'Why should I be mad at you?'

Elmitsu offers gently, "Evaine Sedai knows too."

Elmitsu says 'Because I did not listen to you as well as I should have.'

Ashlynn says 'I am not mad. I am just shocked and disappointed. We had a long chat about everything and it appeared that you were listening and ready to do what you were supposed to do. But you did not.'

Ashlynn says 'You are lucky there are second chances. Third chances even.'

Elmitsu says 'Sometimes I get carried away, Aes Sedai. I know that about myself, but I am trying to be better.'

Elmitsu says 'I don't want to disappoint you.'

Ashlynn says 'Learn to control yourself. You must be able to control yourself, your desires, your emotions, if you wish to acquire the shawl.'

Elmitsu has tried to school her expression to stillness, but unshed tears still linger at the corners of her eyes like unwelcome strangers.

Ashlynn puts a hand on the girl's shoulder again.

Ashlynn says 'Now now, it's fine. We all have made mistakes before. The important thing is to learn from them. I pray that this time you understand the lesson.'

Ashlynn says 'And what is more important is that you tell me everything about it.'

Ashlynn says 'Are you sure that you were just talking about wines? Sometimes people write coded messages.'

Elmitsu says 'Yes, Aes Sedai. I promise. I think Roberto likes to drink.'

Elmitsu says 'I feel a little foolish now.'

Elmitsu says 'He told me he found a body in the Woman of Tanchico recently?'

Ashlynn shrugs helplessly.

Ashlynn says 'I don't care about that right now.'

Elmitsu scrunches her face as she tries to remember everything the pair might have spoken about.

Elmitsu says 'I just want to tell you everything, so you can trust me again.'

Ashlynn says 'Then tell me everything about what I ask. '

Ashlynn says 'So it was not a coded message?'

Elmitsu says 'It was not a coded message.'

Elmitsu says 'That is a clever idea, but I don't think I'm that clever.'

Ashlynn says 'Are you making any attempts to learn the ways of the Thiefbane?'

Elmitsu says 'I was going to ask Sisters about it so that I could impress Roberto, but maybe I should steer clear.'

Ashlynn smiles wryly as she says 'True, after all, your discarded message was found discard in the trash.'

Ashlynn says 'Ask Sisters about what? The ways of the Thiefbane?'

Elmitsu says 'Yes. What they knew about it. I think Roberto was challenging me to find out more than what he told me.'

Elmitsu says 'I think he just liked talking though, which . . . I understand.'

Ashlynn says 'Other than asking you to find out more about it, did he try to give you any directives or orders?'

Elmitsu says 'No, Aes Sedai.'

Elmitsu says 'He didn't ask for any information about the Tower. He wanted -me- to learn about the Thiefbane.'

Ashlynn says 'I would suggest being careful about what you do. It might not be so, but it might appear as if he is telling you what to do, and you are obeying.'

Ashlynn says 'Remember that, and if you were to talk to him about what you think, it is more of a discussion than a report. Your tasks are provided by the Aes Sedai and reported to the Aes Sedai. Not to outsiders. Even if he is a good and righteous man. Understand?'

Elmitsu says 'Yes, Aes Sedai. I need a Sister more than a I need a friend. I will not make this mistake again.'

Ashlynn says 'Have you heard of the woman named Ylsa?'

Elmitsu says 'No, Aes Sedai.'

Ashlynn says 'Is it safe to say that Roberto did not mention her?'

Elmitsu says 'May I ask who Ylsa is?'

Ashlynn says 'She is a wanted criminal.'

Ashlynn says 'Steer clear of her. For your safety.'

Elmitsu sits back a little straighter in her chair.

Elmitsu says 'Is he hunting her?'

Ashlynn says 'A wanted criminal that channels the One Power.'

Ashlynn says 'Just stay away from her if you see her.'

Elmitsu says 'He should really leave that to the Reds then.'

Elmitsu says dutifully, "Yes, Aes Sedai."

Ashlynn says 'If Roberto ever asks you anything about her, please avoid the question and let me know immediately.'

Elmitsu says 'I will, Aes Sedai.'

Ashlynn says 'Now, before you go.'

Ashlynn pauses for a moment, considering something.

Elmitsu stops her hand as it travels toward her head to fidget with her ribbon. She lowers it to her lap.

Ashlynn says 'Since you did not learn the last time we spoke, I am going to give you a penance. You are to give alms to the poor in the city. Money to the beggars, food to the hungry. Make sure the fountains and the streets are clear of any debris of trash.'

Ashlynn says 'Send me a record of your actions.'

Elmitsu nods as if here head were attached to a string tugged by Ashlynn's words.

Elmitsu says 'Yes, Aes Sedai.'

Ashlynn says 'Please remember what we discussed and take it to heart.'

Ashlynn says 'You are dismissed.'

Elmitsu says 'I am sorry I disappointed you.'

Ashlynn gestures with her hand.

Elmitsu rises from her straight-backed chair.

Elmitsu looks tempted to try to hug Ashlynn before quickly thinking better of the impulse, cutting a hasty curtsey and retreating across the door's threshold.

Evaine

Re: Grow up, Elmitsu

Post by Evaine » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:39 am

Ashlynn: 1 qp
Elmitsu: 1 qp

Please "receive" your offline RP reward.

Roberto

Re: Grow up, Elmitsu

Post by Roberto » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:16 am

Roberto spent that entire day with the uncomortable feeling that eyes were watching him.