And to make a long story short...

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Keshara

And to make a long story short...

Post by Keshara » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:31 pm

Summary - Keshara follows up with Elmitsu in regards to a body found in the wing of the Blue Ajah. Having had time to investigate the issue, she uses it as a lesson to walk Elmitsu through the investigative process and learn a little more about her thought process. Sensing how much this incident is affecting the girl, Keshara gives Elmitsu a task to give everyone involved some closure to the poor woman's death.

POC - Keshara
Participants - Keshara, Elmitsu

A follow-on to this: https://forums.wotmud.info/viewtopic.php?f=102&t=18397

Conservatory of the Blue Ajah
During daytime, bright light floods in from tall, arched windows set in the
eastern wall, which offer a view of the many spires of Tar Valon as well as
the eastern bank of the Erinin. On clear days, the peaks of the Dragonwall
can be seen, far away to the east. Bookshelves, tables, maps and charts are
all present as the Blue sisters prepare for whatever tasks currently occupy
them or as they plan business away from the Tower. On one wall hang two
large portraits of Ciel Sedai and Adaire Sedai, with white ribbons of
mourning tied into the latticework of the frames.
[ obvious exits: W ] [ W: door ]
A chair made of red oak rests next to the table. [2]
A large desk made of fine, thick wood stands across the room from here.
A silver-haired Aes Sedai sits here, reading.
A Blue Sister is here, planning her next journey.
Anaiya Sedai of the Blue Ajah stands here.

Someone knocks on the carveddoor from the other side.

Keshara glances at the door and calls, 'You may enter.'

The carveddoor is opened from the other side.

Elmitsu has arrived from the west.

Elmitsu closes the carveddoor.

Keshara glances at the door briefly before nodding.

Elmitsu's eyes are wet with unshed tears as she lowers herself into a formal curtsey.

Elmitsu says 'Light keep you, Keshara Sedai. Thank you for meeting with me.'

Keshara says 'Accepted...Elmitsu, is it?'

Elmitsu blinks back some of the tears that are in danger of spilling as she addresses the Blue Sitter, "Yes, Aes Sedai."

Keshara waves a hand in the direction of a chair for the girl.

Elmitsu says 'Forgive me as I compose myself.'

Elmitsu claims the chair Keshara Sedai indicated.

Elmitsu sits down on a stout oaken chair.

Keshara says 'Is this a bad time? I know you scheduled it, but we can find another time if...'

Keshara gestures with a hand to the girl in front of her.

Elmitsu says 'No, Aes Sedai. I was only speaking to Ashlynn Sedai about a mistake I recently made.'

Elmitsu says 'But I am interested in studying with you, so I would not keep that from you.'

Elmitsu has finally reclaimed some semblance of calm, the dew in her eyes less noticeable.

Keshara raises her eyebrows 'I am interested in hearing what she would have to say on that.'

Elmitsu says 'She has been kind to me, Aes Sedai, though perhaps I am unworthy of it.'

Keshara says 'However, I have no interest in re-hashing something Ashlynn Sedai has just spent her time dealing with.'

Elmitsu nods contritely.

Keshara says 'Instead, the last we spoke you brought to my attention that a body had been found in my Ajah's wing. Have you found any more information out since then?'

Elmitsu's fidgety fingers are made still, clasped together in her lap, "I haven't, Aes Sedai, though my trying is perhaps what led me to my conversation with Ashlynn Sedai."

Elmitsu says 'I also wished to speak to you more broadly about studying with the Blue Ajah.'

Keshara says 'Your interaction with the Thiefbane was connected with you looking for more information into the body you found?'

Keshara places both hands on the desk in front of her 'Explain.'

Elmitsu says 'Yes. I . . . can't stop thinking about it, Aes Sedai. So I thought getting a perspective of someone who hunted criminals professionally might be useful.'

Keshara asks blandly 'You thought, after seeing the state of the body, that it had been done by a common criminal?'

Elmitsu says 'No, Aes Sedai.'

Elmitsu says 'But I don't know how far or fast word travels, and I wondered if he'd heard anything about it.'

Elmitsu says 'I was just desperate.'

Keshara mutters 'A river without proper damming will wander off course.'

Elmitsu says with a touch of exasperation at her own foolishness, "I don't think I've been dammed well."

Keshara says 'I see.'

Elmitsu says 'I let it get to me a little bit. But I am trying to regulate my emotions better.'

Keshara says 'I may have more questions on the topic after hearing what Ashlynn Sedai reports, but let us move on to the topic of the investigation.'

Elmitsu looks around the Conservatory with a certain ferocity kindling in her voice, "Just . . so many bad things happen all the time, Aes Sedai. Why did the Creator give me these gifts I am not to help?"

Keshara looks the child in the eyes 'If just one Channeler could solve all the woes of the world, there would be no need for the White Tower, Child.'

Elmitsu says, nearly plaintive, "But I want to -help.-"

Keshara leans back into the chair, her arms still crossed.

Keshara says 'Lets picture a scenario where a fire has engulfed a building.'

Keshara feels the flows of saidar coursing through her body.

The room gets noticeably a little warmer.

Elmitsu looks stricken. Color creeps into her otherwise wan cheeks.

Keshara says 'Villagers arrive at the scene, along with a young girl, and begin to try to put out the fire.'

Keshara says 'Knowing that people are missing, the girl runs into the building, wanting to help those trapped in the fire.'

Keshara levels a look on the Accepted.

Elmitsu's eyes verily dance with the flames Keshara describes.

Keshara says 'Is the girl helping?'

Elmitsu says 'She might, or she might die.'

Elmitsu says 'Fire is . . .'

Elmitsu does not appear ready to complete her rumination on what fire actually is.

Keshara says 'Not only that, but now the rescuers job is much more difficult. They have more people to save, some immediately diverted as they see the girl run off. Unorganized, unprepared.'

Elmitsu says 'I understand your point, Aes Sedai. I have been in a fire.'

Elmitsu tries to say this matter-of-factly, perhaps with mixed results.

Keshara says 'The moral of the story is to not confuse just doing Something with helping. We invest many years into you to prepare you for when you can put out fires yourself.'

Elmitsu looks as though Keshara might have suggested something she hadn't considered before.

The room returns to its original temperature as Keshara releases the Source.

Keshara says 'But you did do something, Child. You informed me of a report to look into.'

Elmitsu pants a little as the heat dissipates. Her cheeks are still flushed, whether from the temperature or emotion.

Elmitsu says 'I should have probably left it there, Aes Sedai.'

Elmitsu says 'I . . . am trying to learn more patience. It is a daily practice.'

Keshara says 'Normally the Tower Guard would have forwarded the incident report immediately to the Ajah, but as matters are, some things are slower than they once were.'

Keshara levels a look at the Accepted without saying a word.

Keshara says 'Now...'

Keshara says 'When I asked you for a description of the body you saw, you responded that it was body-like, and nothing was remarkable other than that it had been dismembered.'

Elmitsu has clenched her hands together in her lap as she attempts to stop herself from digging any additional holes.

Elmitsu says 'It barely looked human anymore, Aes Sedai.'

Keshara moves a hand to the arm of her chair.

Keshara says 'Was height and gender completely un-identifiable?'

Elmitsu says 'Chloro Sedai seemed to think it was a Sister, but I cannot say if she had the right of it.'

Elmitsu says 'I am not sure if she viewed the scene herself or what information may be available that I am not privy to, Aes Sedai.'

Keshara says 'What about the position of the body in the room? Was it left where they were attacked, or moved after the fact? '

Keshara adds 'I am interested in that deduction, as well.'

Elmitsu says 'The scene did not seem to be especially disturbed--as if there had been a struggle.'

Elmitsu says 'So either the victim was set upon with such surprise that they could not react to defend themselves, or the body was moved.'

Keshara says 'The point is, Accepted, is that details matter, even when you are upset by something new.'

Elmitsu says 'I want to help you solve this, Keshara Sedai.'

Keshara remains silent for a moment before opening the desk.

A ward dissolves.

The desk slowly opens.

Keshara gets a blue tinged parchment from a desk.

The desk slowly closes.

Keshara drops a sheet of paper.

A ward causes the paper to be engulfed in flames and reduced to dust.

Elmitsu watches with fascination as the ward consumes the parchment.

Keshara grabs a blue tinged parchment.

Keshara places a blue-tinged folder on the desk and opens it up, revealing sheets stacked inside.

Elmitsu opens her mouth but then thinks better of it, teeth clacking as she shuts it abruptly and continues to observe the Aes Sedai.

Keshara reads from a blue-tinged piece of parchment 'Upon close examination, the victim's height was determined to be roughly four feet and ten inches, gender female.'

Keshara puts the paper face-down in the folder.

Keshara says 'What would you do with this information, if you were investigating this case, Accepted?'

Elmitsu says 'I would start with the assumption that she was probably someone in the White Tower.'

Keshara nods slowly.

Elmitsu says 'I would make lists of Novices, Accepted, and Aes Sedai, immediately eliminating any who did not fit that description.'

Elmitsu says 'Does Sheriam Sedai record the height of her charges, Keshara Sedai?'

Keshara says flatly 'The White Tower's record are quite thorough.'

Elmitsu says 'Then I would cross reference my list against that information and attempt to identify any woman who had been presumed out of the Tower or perhaps missing.'

Keshara says 'Presuming that was done and no one was identified as missing?'

Elmitsu says 'Then I would need to widen my net, including liveried servants, clerks, and the like.'

Keshara says 'Child, come with me, we will ensure Evaine Sedai recovers.'

----Quick break as we heal up Evaine and ensure the Tower isn't under attack---

Conservatory of the Blue Ajah
During daytime, bright light floods in from tall, arched windows set in the
eastern wall, which offer a view of the many spires of Tar Valon as well as
the eastern bank of the Erinin. On clear days, the peaks of the Dragonwall
can be seen, far away to the east. Bookshelves, tables, maps and charts are
all present as the Blue sisters prepare for whatever tasks currently occupy
them or as they plan business away from the Tower. On one wall hang two
large portraits of Ciel Sedai and Adaire Sedai, with white ribbons of
mourning tied into the latticework of the frames.
[ obvious exits: W ] [ W: door ]
A chair made of red oak rests next to the table. [2]
A large desk made of fine, thick wood stands across the room from here.
A silver-haired Aes Sedai sits here, reading.
A Blue Sister is here, planning her next journey.
Anaiya Sedai of the Blue Ajah stands here.
Elmitsu has arrived from the west.

Elmitsu makes appropriate gestures of decorum to the gathered Aes Sedai as she returns to the Conservatory.

Keshara senses Elmitsu connecting to the True Source.

Keshara senses Elmitsu is channeling saidar.

Keshara says 'Now...where were we...'

Elmitsu resumes the seat she'd occupied previously as she continues to listen to Keshara Sedai.

Keshara says 'Analysis of the body's hight and gender with the records of of the White Tower has two prominent flaws. What do you think they might be, Child?'

Elmitsu says 'We cannot confirm that this was an Initiate or Sister of the White Tower with more information.'

Elmitsu says 'I should have . . . looked at her hands. For the ring.'

Keshara says 'We were able to clearly determine that no Novices or Accepted of any description were missing.'

Keshara says 'What about Aes Sedai? How do we narrow the search further?'

Elmitsu says 'I think that would be more difficult. Aes Sedai travel to and from the Tower often, so absences might not spark alarm.'

Keshara says 'While not a perfect accounting, often Aes Sedai are known to be in the Tower or not. An Aes Sedai can leave unannounced, or another return without fanfair, but it has been some time since the incident to normalize the information.'

Elmitsu nods thoughtfully as she listens to the Blue.

Keshara says 'An investigation won't always have all the information, and what you have may not be completely correct.'

Keshara says 'In this case, none of the Sisters in residence were unaccounted for that matched the body's description.'

Keshara says 'Meaning a newly returned Sister, or not an initiate of the White Tower.'

Keshara says 'Do you agree?'

Elmitsu says 'That makes the most sense, Keshara Sedai.'

Elmitsu says 'My ma always said the most likely answer is usually the correct one.'

Keshara looks from the papers in the folder back to the Accepted seated in front of her with an unreadable expression.

Elmitsu tries to maintain her sense of poise as she regards the Aes Sedai.

Keshara says 'So, the investigation has determined no Novices, no Accepted, and with some level of confidence, no Aes Sedai.'

Keshara looks at Elmitsu.

Keshara says 'That exhausts your lists of potentials you mentioned earlier.'

Keshara leans back in her chair once more.

Elmitsu says 'Perhaps a servant, a clerk?'

Elmitsu says 'Someone who works in the White Tower but is not of the White Tower.'

Keshara flips a few pages in the folder 'Very good, Accepted.'

Elmitsu perks up a bit at this faint bit of praise from the Blue, her large eyes trained on Keshara as the two continue to discuss the case.

Keshara stops at a certain page and reads 'Neisa Dromar. Amadacia. Requested asylum from the White Tower 5 years ago. No ability to touch the Source. Employed as a courier in the Tower. Sponsor REDACTED.'

Elmitsu repeats the name, "Neisa Dromar" under her breath as if committing it to memory.

Keshara says 'This is the only servant who has failed to report to work since the incident. And she matches the characteristics of the body that was found.'

Elmitsu says 'It must be her. It -must- be.'

Keshara says 'Remember what blind certainty does to you. It gets you surrounded by fire while others spend additional resources to get you out.'

Keshara 's face softens 'But in this case, I believe you are right.'

Elmitsu's cheeks flush hot for a moment. She nods, "You are right. We can't know for sure, but it seems very likely, yes?"

Keshara flips to the next two pages in the folder.

Elmitsu looks around the Conservatory, "She came here for safety, but nowhere is truly safe. I think that's another lesson, Aes Sedai."

Keshara says 'What you just said...can lead into the lesson that you initially asked for...one day.'

Keshara looks back at the folder on the desk.

Keshara says 'Based on where the body was found, it does not indicate that poor Neisa was targeted personally. Nor was any obsfucation detected.'

Elmitsu nods thoughtfully.

Elmitsu says 'You think she was in the wrong place at the wrong time?'

Keshara nods slightly.

Keshara says 'She was certainly killed with intent, but it seems the target was indiscriminate. Based off of observed behavior of trollocs, as noted in the Depositories, she was used to keep the animal in fighting shape.'

Keshara 's lips turn down in a frown.

Elmitsu says 'She was . . . practice.'

Elmitsu's eyes, large as saucers, narrow some at this consideration.

Keshara says 'I know it sounds bleak, but it is important to draw conclusions based on the facts even if they are unpleasant.'

Keshara lines the papers back in order and closes the folder softly.

Elmitsu says 'Yes. Things will not change only because we wish them so. I am starting to realize that.'

Keshara says 'Thus, we identified the victim, the cause, and that there was no direct threat to the Blue Ajah despite where the body was found.'

Elmitsu says 'You are a good detective, Keshara Sedai.'

Keshara says 'I walked you though the case because it seems to have affected you deeply.'

Keshara says 'And because you expressed interest in the Blue Ajah. This is what we do.'

A ward dissolves.

The desk slowly opens.

Keshara gets a blue tinged parchment from a desk.

The desk slowly closes.

A wardvslowly settles over the desk.

Elmitsu says 'I hope to study more with you as my education progresses, Aes Sedai.'

Elmitsu says 'I think you do important work.'

Keshara replies drolly 'Thank you for your vote of confidence, Child.'

Elmitsu does not quite stammer, "I-I meant no offense, Aes Sedai. I know you do not need my affection or approval."

Keshara says 'It would do you well to get your emotions in check. Yet, we are not devoid of them. In that vein, there is a matter that I want you to see through. I think you could use some closure to help you grow.'

Keshara gives a blue tinged parchment to Elmitsu.

Keshara says 'This is a letter written to Neisa's family. Inside it are any instructions that can help the family.'

Elmitsu looks down to the blue-tinged parchment in her fist and resists the urge to clench it.

Keshara hands Elmitsu a seperate sheet of paper.

Elmitsu holds the parchment in the opposite hand from the paper Keshara most recently gave her.

Keshara says 'This is the name of a contact who can get you in contact with her mother from outside of Amador. Should she show, please deliver the letter, on behalf of Neisa's service to the White Tower. Her asylum situation was clear that her mother was not a part of it.'

Elmitsu nods as she once more looks down to the papers in each hand as if they were now her most prized possessions.

Elmitsu says 'Yes, Aes Sedai. Thank you for entrusting me with this.'

Keshara says 'By all accounts Neisa was a hardworking a loyal servant. It is a shame this happened to her in Tar Valon. That it happened at all.'

Keshara says 'This is all the time I have on my schedule, I am afraid. Let us schedule another time to go into the question from your letter.'

Elmitsu says 'I am glad her family will have closure . . . I worried for that, Aes Sedai.'

Keshara says 'I did not want to get into that discussion while we had not closed the loop on the investigation.'

Elmitsu rises at Keshara's indication of an imminent scheduling conflict, "I would very much enjoy that, Aes Sedai."

Keshara says 'You are dismissed, Child. I have some paperwork Ii must finish before I can retire for the night.'

Elmitsu says 'The Light keep you, Keshara Sedai.'

Elmitsu manages to curtsey without disturbing either of her important documents.

Elmitsu opens the carveddoor.

Elmitsu leaves west.

The carveddoor closes quietly.

Keshara

Re: And to make a long story short...

Post by Keshara » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:39 pm

The title was a Clue reference, since the original log was <REDACTED> in the Blue Ajah Wing With A Candlestick.

--Shows Elmitsu the candlestick card---

Lys

Post by Lys » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:40 pm

awarded 4qp (3+1 for serial)

Sarinda

Post by Sarinda » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:03 am

This log was reviewed at request of Elysia, and I recommend the following:

Total:
Elmitsu: 3 RPQPs
Keshara: 3 QPs

Overall, I thought this log was very poignant, unique, and intriguing. I like how it contributes to Elmitsu's character arc regarding the dead body she has been obsessing over and the Blue Ajah's response to her involvement in that.

Please say "receive" at a silver-haired Aes Sedai for your rewards.