Blocked, Part Three: Testing the Waters

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Amarea

Blocked, Part Three: Testing the Waters

Post by Amarea » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:21 pm

Summary:
After Amarea discovers that her wilder block involves being limited to channeling when she is next to a source of water, Aleera is instructed by Aelrena Sedai to meet with the novice and test some of the parameters of her block: How far away can she be? How much water must be present? Does imaginary water satisfy the requirements of the block, or must it be real? During the testing, Alison Sedai intervenes and attempts to apply her superior logic to the problem. Amarea struggles to control her emotions, allowing fear of her past and resentment towards herself to control her access to the True Source. Alison agrees to investigate Amarea's family and their financial problems, and Aleera comforts Amarea afterwards.

POV: Amarea
Main characters: Amarea, Aelrena, Alison
Minor characters: Elmitsu, Erulisse, Lisette

Note:
There were a number of people passing through the area for only brief moments during this lengthy scene. For simplicity and to keep the log cleaner, I removed names and movement of these people unless they jumped in for more than an emote or two.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tower Square
This side of the square is the southern section of the Tower Square.
In the center is the walled off White Tower. To the south a large
boulevard opens up leading to the Southharbor. To the north you see
the southern gate of the Tower grounds. The square continues east
and west.
A large banner rests here, depicting a map of Tar Valon.
[ obvious exits: N E S W ]
The corpse of a raven is lying here.
A marble bench, flecked with gold and bronze, adorns the floor.
An oil lamp, set in a steel cage, hangs from a high wooden pole.
An elaborately sculpted marble fountain splashes merrily.
A stout wooden barrel stands nearby.
A Tower Guard watches for signs of trouble.
A black cat meanders to an unknown destination.
A brightly dressed man with a ready smile stands here.
Aelrena Solyan is standing here.

Aelrena says 'I suspect Cairhien might no more about that than some.'

Aleera has arrived from the north.

Aelrena's lips twitch up slightly at the corners.

Aelrena says 'Ah, there you are Aleera.'

Amarea smiles at Aleera.

Amarea curtseys before Aleera.

Aelrena says 'Aleera, this is Amarea, one of the new novices.'

Amarea waves.

Amarea says 'Hello!'

Aleera curtseys as she arrives, clearly having been moving a bit hastily. "Apologies, Aelrena Sedai," she says. By way of very vague explanation, she says, "I was with ... my fellow Accepted again." She beams a smile to Amarea, "I'm pleased to meet you."

Aelrena says 'I see, Take care that you do not pick up too many bad habits from insalubrious places.'

Aelrena nods at Aleera.

Amarea chuckles politely.

Aelrena says 'Amarea, this is Aleera, one of the Tower Accepted.'

Amarea says 'Hello, again, Accepted. I think we met once the other day, but only very briefly, as you were busy with something and I was runnin' around doing chores.'

Aelrena says 'Aleera, this child seems to have a block in place which prevents her from channeling except in the presence of water, which we have so far tested with both the fountain here and on the River Erinin.'

Amarea blushes furiously.

Amarea looks down sheepishly.

Elmitsu has arrived from the north.

Aelrena looks at Elmitsu.

Elmitsu offers a prompt curtsey upon spying Aelrena Sedai.

Aleera nods to Aelrena and after a moment shares with Amarea, "Yes, you're absolutely correct. I remember that." Her attention snaps back to Aelrena, listening curiously.

Aelrena says 'I would like you to work with her with varying amounts of water and determine the threshold at which she is capable of channeling.'

Elmitsu's voice sounds like bells, "I hope I'm not intruding, Aes Sedai. I have made my schedule with the clerk."

Aelrena says 'I would suggest testing several different methods, such as being able to see the water, hear the water, being able to feel it.'

Amarea looks up from the ground, an expression of curiosity on her face. 'Oh, that would be wonderful!'

Elmitsu steps back at a respectable distance once she observes the Aes Sedai is instructing.

Elmitsu clasps her hands before her so that her fingers do not fidget.

Aelrena says 'You are not intruding child, though idle hands are often known as the Dark One's tools.'

Aleera nods, "Of course. We can look at a variety, and combinations, of circumstances."

Elmitsu says 'I have only recently finished assisting Eliyana Sedai in restocking the pantry and then transcribing missives for the clerk. He threw them all away because he says that my letters are, yes, the work of the Dark One.'

Aelrena says 'I would appreciate if you work with her while you have time, but if your classes call you away, you are more than welcome to finish.'

Aelrena nods at Aleera.

Elmitsu looks up, suppressing tears, "But I am getting better."

Amarea offers Elmitsu a sympathetic look.

Aelrena turns her attention fully back to the novice, clearly not looking to the Accepted on the verge of tears.

Aelrena says 'Amarea, you are free to channel under the supervision of Aleera. I do not wish to hear of you attempting to channel on your own to experiment with your block, am I clear?'

Amarea says 'Oh, I bet Alison Sedai would find this really fascinating. It seems like the kind of experiment she would enjoy.'

Amarea grins playfully.

Aleera says 'Of course. I have a good bit of free time presently.'

Elmitsu offers, perhaps helpfully, "Aelrena Sedai, I have experience with a block."

Amarea looks in surprise at Elmitsu. 'Oh! You do, too?'

Elmitsu offers, after a beat, "Sisters of the Gray helped me break it. I am grateful to them."

Aelrena glances to the Accepted, "I am aware of your experience with blocks, and if Accepted Aleera would like your assistance I will not stop her in procuring it."

Aelrena says 'However.'

Amarea closes her mouth abruptly, taking a step back, clearly picking up on something awkward here but from the confused look on her face, she is not sure what that is.

Aelrena says 'I will remind her that this is not a game, and I will be hearing back about this. '

Aelrena's expression morphs into a thin, almost wicked smile.

Elmitsu says nothing further.

Aelrena says 'Do any of you have questions?'

Aleera shakes her head, "No, Aelrena Sedai."

Elmitsu says dutifully, "No, Aes Sedai."

Amarea says 'Aelrena Sedai...'

Amarea says 'Do you mean that I can't channel without someone else around me for as long as I have the block?'

Amarea's expression looks discouraged.

Aelrena says 'I mean that you are not to attempt experimenting with your block while alone, and that it would be better if you did not try channeling without someone more experienced near you.'

Aelrena says 'I would gently remind you that on the River Erinin you were close to drawing more of the One Power than you can wield safely.'

Aelrena says 'You are not yet experienced enough to channel on your own, and there is no shame in that.'

Amarea nods quickly, if a little glumly, and gives a practiced curtsey. 'Yes, Aes Sedai,' she says hurriedly.

Aelrena whispers something to Aleera.

Aelrena nods in agreement.

Elmitsu looks upon Amarea briefly but says nothing.

Amarea says 'Well, if there is any way to figure out how to work around the block while inside the Tower, that would be swell. Maybe I could finally study with Sheriam Sedai like she's been trying to get me to.'

Aelrena glides from the square after gently squeezing Aleera's shoulder.

Aelrena leaves north. ^^

Elmitsu smiles sweetly as Aelrena departs.

Elmitsu says 'I should go. Good luck with your block.'

Elmitsu says to Aleera, "I'll see -you- later."

Amarea smiles at her.

Elmitsu leaves north. ^^

Amarea coughs loudly.

Aleera gives a friendly smile to Amarea, "We can keep some notes if you'd like to later share with Alison Sedai."

Amarea says 'I took a lesson with Seaine Sedai. Maybe I can think about this the way a White sister would.'

Amarea taps a finger on her lips.

Amarea says 'So, so far Aelrena Sedai and I discovered that I an embrace the Source in a room with a fountain, and when in a canoe on the River Erinin.'

Aleera says, gesturing after Elmitsu, "She'll be okay." She then holds her hand out, feeling the snow fall on it. She suggests, "Why don't we take advantage of this and move away from the fountain."

Amarea nods in agreement.

Amarea frowns as if contemplating something.

Amarea feels the flows of saidar coursing through her body.

Amarea embraces the Source, which takes a few tries but she is able to do it somewhat intentionally now.

Amarea absolutely beams with joy.

Amarea says 'Oh, Aleera, I couldn't even do that just an hour or two ago. It seems to be getting a little easier with practice.'

Aleera watches and then says, "That is good, multiple attempts under a given condition can help confirm it. Practice is certainly part of it as well."

Aleera gestures south from the Tower and says, "Let's head this way."

Amarea now follows Aleera.

Aleera leaves south. vv
Amarea follows Aleera.

Southharbor Boulevard
From Tower Square, Southharbor Boulevard leads to the docks and massive
mooring lines on the south side of the city harbor in the distance. A large
square just a bit further down the street towards the harbor appears big
enough to hold a small festival.
[ obvious exits: N S ]
Aleera the Tower Accepted is standing here.
A smartly dressed man ambles about here.
A Tower Guard watches for signs of trouble.

Amarea loses the Source almost immediately and sighs.

Amarea frowns.

Amarea says 'Hmm.'

Aleera looks to the harbor to the distance in the south, and back north towards the fountain. To Amarea she says, "Lost it..." and frowns. "Try holding your hands out and letting the snow melt on it."

Amarea senses Aleera connecting to the True Source.

Amarea senses Aleera is channeling saidar.

Aleera throws streaks of Fire at a raven, whose freshly charred corpse crumples to the ground.
A raven is dead! R.I.P.
Amarea's blood freezes as you hear a raven's death cry.

Amarea screams loudly!

Amarea reflexively ducks as weaves of Fire flash around her.

Aleera says, "My apologies." She toes at the corpse of the raven, "Eyes and ears of the Dark one. Even here at times."

Amarea still looks abashedly at the ground as she says, 'Fire frightens me. I'm sorry.'

Amarea seems to calm down, finally, and holds her hand out as the collects some falling snow.

Aleera shakes her head, "No, please, you need not apologize." A thought or two can be seen crossing her expression, but she lets them all go. She gestures towards her chest and takes in a deep breath and then slowly lets it out. "Breathe if it helps. I know it helps me to center."

Amarea nods thoughtfully.

Aleera admits of the snow, "It is quite light, very little water."

Amarea closes her eyes, taking in a few centering breaths.

Amarea opens her eyes after a moment, calmer now, as she studies the snow. The warmth of her hands melts the snow, to the point her hands are damp.

Amarea suints and seems to be straining somehow, gritting her teeth, and eventually she sighs and shakes her head. 'Hmm, it's no good. I don't think this is enough.'

Amarea says 'Oh, Aleera. There was a point earlier tonight where I was sitting by the fountain in the Merchant Square, and I was able to blink and open and close my eyes, and it didn't affect anything.'

Amarea says 'So I don't think my ability to literally see the water is a requirement.'

Aleera watches. Contemplative. Quiet. "It's quite okay," she reassures, "we're just exploring some of the parameters of your block for Aelrena Sedai. Stay here for a moment. I am going to walk back towards the Square, where I think you lost your embrace of the One Power." To the note about opening and closing her eyes, she adds, "Oh, that is interesting."

Amarea follows along as instructed.

Aleera walks back towards the Tower then, she stops a good block or so south of where Amarea inititally lost her embrace.

Amarea says 'Hmm. I can see the square from here, but it seems I can't quite do anything yet.'

Aleera looks up then as the snow stops, "Blast," she softly says, "Okay, so much for seeing if that little bit of moisture would make a difference."

Amarea nods glumly.

Aleera suggests, "Let's try to determine, as well, if embracing it is the same as holding it. I believe just up here is where you lost your embrace." She stops at roughly that spot, "Let's see if you can embrace from this distance."

Aleera embraces saidar herself, just in case she needs to act.

Amarea takes slow, methodical steps as she gradually moves back towards the city square. She can see the fountain, the water tricklig in it.

Amarea says 'I will try to head towards it until I can finally embrace the Source.'

Amarea heads north step by step, eventually leaving the room as she approaches the square, still without the glow of saidar around her.

Aleera nods, and follows along beside Amarea. "Excellent," she says, "please do."

Tower Square
and west.
A sailor is here.

Aleera has arrived from the south.

Amarea walks closer to the fountain, and finally, when she is about two or three spans away from the fountain, the glow of saidar springs up around her for those who can see it.

Amarea pauses right at that cutoff.

Amarea backtracks, taking one step back at a time. The glow suddenly begins to falter, and as she moves just outside the range of about three paces from the water, the Source escapes her again.

Aleera nods, "Interesting. So, fairly close to the fountain. Just a few paces."

Aleera asks, "When you were at the river, did you try to embrace before you were on the river?"

Amarea says 'Hmm. I think I was too busy listening to what Aelrena Sedai said.'

Amarea says 'But it seems that every time I have moved more than about nine or ten feet, or three paces, it's slipped away.'

(At this point, Alison Sedai and Annika enter and discuss the process and utility of debating to practice application of logical reasoning. Alison pulls Aleera into a brief lesson while Amarea sits beside and listens. Later, after the lesson, Aleera and Amarea continue with their task.)

Amarea 's eyes light up. 'I am starting to see the flows, but only when I am near the water,' she murmurs to Aleera.

Aelrena settles onto one of the benches, retrieving a needle and embroidery hoop from the pouch at her belt.

Erulisse has arrived from the south.

Amarea curtseys before Erulisse.

Aelrena greets Erulisse with a light kiss on her cheek.

Erulisse greets Aelrena with a light kiss on her cheek.

Erulisse says 'Ah the Wilder with the block'

Erulisse says 'Should have Sheriam switch it out of her'

Erulisse says 'Its the best way'

Amarea's face pales as her eyes widen.

Aelrena frowns.

Aelrena says 'I heartily disagree sister.'

Amarea says nervously, 'We figured out what it is, at least! Sort of.'

Amarea's eyes dart to Aelrena.

Erulisse says 'Indeed? And what do you believe it to be child?'

Aelrena says 'There are much better ways, rather a touch of cleverness with honey than a heavy hand with the cane.'

Amarea says 'Well, so far I have learned that I need to be close to a source of water to channel, or to sense channeling.'

Amarea's face takes on a curious expression as she contemplates this puzzle of a problem.

Erulisse ponders life, the universe, and everything.

Amarea says 'If I walk more than about three paces from the source of water - about nine feet - that seems to be my limit. But I think if I can still hear it, and know it's there, then I don't necessarily have to be looking at it.'

Erulisse ponders life, the universe, and everything.

Amarea says 'Aleera and I were about to test how much water really needs to be there for it to "count" so to speak.'

Erulisse shares a look with Arelena.

Amarea beams a broad smile from ear to ear.

Aelrena turns back to her embroidery hoop, one hand slowly pulling the needle through the cloth as she tuts quietly.

Aelrena glances up to make eye contact with Erulisse.

Amarea says 'Aelrena Sedai was able to help me figure out what the source actually was, but it still doesn't help me keep with some of my lessons, if I can't see the flows Sheriam Sedai is trying to teach me in her office.'

Erulisse says 'Perhaps a vase filled with water might help?'

Aelrena says 'Perhaps.'

Amarea says 'So far just melted snow on my hands isn't enough, but we got stopped there because of a debate with Alison Sedai.'

Erulisse shares a knowing glance with her Sister.

Amarea says 'Aleera? I'm ready to keep trying a few things, if you are.'

Erulisse says 'Alison Sedai was debating you?'

Erulisse says 'Perhaps you have suffered enough without the switching'

Amarea corrects by explaining, 'Beggin' your pardon, Aes Sedai, she was having Annika and Aleera debate each other. I was just watching.'

Erulisse says 'Ah the Seanchan girl'

Erulisse says 'She is a clever one'

Aelrena says 'One of the three we have in the Tower now I believe.'

Erulisse snickers softly.

Erulisse says 'They pile up like Sea Folk.'

Aelrena grimaces as she pulls the thread entirely through her cloth.

Aelrena says 'They rather do, though I'll take any girl who wishes to learn. Rather they learn than be chained.'

Aleera nods and smiles at Amarea. She slips a water flask from her purse and then steps over to the fountain.

Amarea says 'I have this small mug I can try, too.'

Amarea gets a mug of ale from a backpack.

Aleera counts out eight paces from the fountain and sets the flask down.

Aleera takes the offered mug, fills it in the fountain, and takes it in a different cardinal direction from the fountain, but also eight paces.

It starts to rain.

Amarea pauses, looking up at the big, fat raindrops falling from the sky.

Erulisse slips from the square with a smile on her face.

Erulisse leaves east. >>

Aleera looks up to the sky, at both the blessing, and the complication it poses. Her head snaps to Amarea.

Amarea willingly, blissfully, embraces the Source, but then begins to walk away from the fountain. As she reaches a distance of about three paces, the glow falters and then suddenly vanishes. She sighs.

Amarea says 'Well. So, rain isn't enough to keep it going.'

Aelrena says 'Aleera.'

Aelrena says 'Are you still practiced at changing the weather?'

Amarea grimaces abashedly.

Aleera nods, "Don't be discouraged. We learned something with that. Amarea, if you would, take 3 paces away from the flask, also further away from the fountain."

Aelrena says 'Ah, I see that it has progressed enough my next point is no longer necessary. '

Aleera shakes her head to Aelrena, "No, Aelrena Sedai, and I have not been able to visit with Sheriam about that yet."

Aleera says, "Three paces, about nine feet. I believe that was about the maximum distance from the fountain from which you could embrace. So, let's see if you can still do that, at that distance, but from a smaller water source."

Aelrena looks up from her work, weaving a few balls of light and setting them above the fountain before tying off the weaves, providing a cover of light for the girls to work under.

Aelrena looks back down to her stitching with a frown.

Amarea looks at the ground where the Accepted has set up a few various containers of water, first the mug, then the water flask.

Amarea walks first towards the mug of water, but just as she reaches about three paces, the glow of saidar fizzles out around her once more.

Amarea says 'Hmm.'

Amarea picks up her mug of ater and puts it away.

Amarea returns to the fountain, embracing the Source once more. 'At least it seems like that part is starting to come more easily to me, when I'm calm and not distracted.'

Amarea next tries to walk towards the water flask, which is also far enough away from the fountain that it should push beyond her observed limit...and again, the flow of saidar vanishes from around her.

Amarea sighs.

Amarea says 'Well...What's bigger than a flask that can hold water?'

Aleera nods and then asks Amarea, "What about closer to the flask. Can you embrace when right beside it?"

Amarea says 'Aleera, I'm sorry, can you explain again what you meant?'

Alison has arrived from the north.

Alison smiles happily.

Amarea curtseys before Alison.

Aleera nods, "Of course. You couldn't embrace when standing away from the flask, but can you embrace when you are standing right by it or when holding it? The test is to see whether it is the distance or the volume of water that may be at issue."

Aleera curtseys to Alison Sedai.

Amarea says 'Ahh. Yeah.'

Alison watches the flask, intently.

Aelrena stands to greet Alison with a kiss to the cheek before settling back down, her focus quickly returning to her handiwork.

Amarea says 'So, I can get myself to embrace the Source near the fountain, but if I step more than three paces away, I lose control.'

Alison greets Aelrena with a light kiss on her cheek.

Amarea says 'So, if I move far enough away but then hold the flask...'

Alison mumbles quietly about how the human body is made up of 80 percent of water..

Amarea moves far away from the fountain, but closer to the flask, actually picking it up. She squints, pauses for a moment, but then shakes her head.

Amarea says 'No, it won't work, Aleera. I have to be near water, but it seems this won't do by itself.'

Aleera nods and steps over to pick up the flask. "Thank you for trying."

Amarea thinks with a quizzical look on her face. 'What is bigger than a flask, but smaller than a fountain?'

Amarea says 'Like, a barrel of water? Or a bucket or something?'

Amarea says 'I have an idea.'

(Amarea makes a quick stop at the Tremalking Splice to buy a small keg of ale. She pours it out and replaces it with water, then brings it to the Tower Square again.)

Tower Square
and west.
A gleeman is here, wearing a cloak of different colored patches.
Lady Alison San, Logician. is standing here.

Amarea is carrying:
a small keg

Amarea groans as she carries a heavier small keg with her.

Aleera is standing a good bit out from the fountain, a 'cradle of tears' weave holding a significant pool of water in the air before her.

Alison steps back from the cradle.

Amarea boggles at that.

Amarea says 'Light! What is that?'

Aelrena glances up briefly before looking back down to her needle.

Alison says 'Be careful with that..This dress is newly washed.'

Amarea first tries to take several paces away from the fountain, holding the small keg in her arms.

Alison steps up to Amarea, glancing between Amarea and the floaty ball of water.

Lisette has arrived from the east, riding a bloodstock stallion.

Aelrena greets Lisette with a light kiss on her cheek.

Lisette smiles at Amarea.

Lisette winks at Aelrena.

Amarea actually almost grasps the Source, and the glow flickers around her for a moment, but as she steps farther from the fountain, it vanishes again. She sighs, dropping the keg of water to the ground.

Alison points at the floating ball of water, eyeing Lisette to be careful.

Aleera softly implores Amarea, "If you would come near me and see if you might embrace? I don't want to hold this overly long." She promises Alison Sedai, "I will handwash your dress should I make a mess. But I don't intend that. I carried this weave from the river before."

Aelrena glances up, her eyes catching on Aleera at the remark.

The ball wavers as a strong gush of wind flips through the area ( Alison )

Amarea gulps.

Amarea turns next to the Accepted, who is sufficiently far enough from the fountain.

Amarea embraces the Source, then begins walking towards the Accepted. This time, as she approaches the veritable pool of water floating in the area, Amarea does not lose her grasp on the Source. She claps her hands excitedly and jumps up to Aleera.

Amarea says 'Aha!'

Amarea leads Aleera to the dancefloor.

Aelrena hums quietly under her breath.

Aleera lets out a small shriek, hands taken by Amarea in her excitement, and the delicate threads of the weave come undone and gallons of water come splashing down on top of Aleera and Amarea.

Amarea shrieks, half in glee and half in shock.

Alison steps back and weaves a shield of air to stop water splashing the Aes Sedai.

Aelrena smirks.

Alison says 'Ha'

Lisette says 'Control, child, control.'

Alison says 'Anticipated that gallons of fish.'

Amarea falls into a fit of giggling, but unfortunately the glow of saidar vanishes as soon as the water hits the ground and disperses around the room.

Alison flips fish back into the fountain with swatches of air and earth.

Amarea looks like a drowned rat.

Aelrena says 'Always be prepared for the unexpected Aleera, you must be prepared to maintain your weaves no matter situation you're put into.'

Amarea bites her lower lip and shivers, soaking wet.

Lisette deftly weaves a thin thread of Air, scooping up a small ball of water from the fountain and flings it into the air above her head.

Aleera laughs as well before quickly stilling that. She curtseys towards the Aes Sedai. In very sober, if drenched, tones, she tells Alison Sedai, "I am very sorry and beg your forgiveness. My word is true. I will take care of everything for you."

Alison says 'Child, water does not scare me.'

Lisette says 'I should hope not, sister, sitting out here in the rain.'

Alison says 'This is not the first time a cradle of tears has drenched me in water and fish.'

Aelrena says 'Oh, it's raining?'

Aelrena frowns.

Aelrena glances up as if noticing the downpour for the first time.

Alison glances up at the sky, frowning.

Aelrena says 'I suppose it is.'

Lisette clambers to her feet.

Amarea senses Lisette connecting to the True Source.

The rain stops.

Amarea senses Lisette is channeling saidar.

The clouds disappear.

Lisette sits down on a bench.

Aelrena says 'Sister, I didn't realize you had a talent for weaving the winds.'

Aelrena looks at Lisette.

Amarea shivers and asks, 'Beggin' your pardon, but can anyone please help me dry off? I know there is some weave to remove water from clothes.'

Alison weaves fire around Amarea.

Lisette says 'It comes quite in handy when the natural swings in Blight weather aren't in our favor, sister.'

Alison slowly allows weaves of air to dry the novice.

Aelrena nods at Lisette.

Lisette says 'And for lighter occasions such as this.'

Aelrena says 'That is good to know. I am gladdened to learn something new about you.'

Amarea smiles happily.

Lisette says 'Good evening, Gaidin.'

Alison narrows her weave of air to make a tube and blow hot fire weave through it, making a tunnel of hot air around the novice's body and hair.

Amarea whimpers reflexively at the use of Fire, but because there is no apparent open flame, she is able to appreciate the warmth by itself.

Alison examines Amarea.

Alison says 'i wonder if they will ever make a machine that can dry hair.'

Aleera carefully pulls a weave together of her own, largely air, but with a touch of fire, though not so effortlessly or precise as the Aes Sedai, doing her best to dry her own self off.

Alison looks at Lisette.

Lisette says 'Be not careless with Fire, even in a simple task as drying yourself off. If you remove all the moisture, you may risk setting clothing alight.'

Alison says 'Yew stick..'

Amarea's face pales as her eyes widen.

Aelrena says 'I would suggest using weaves of water to move the moisture away instead, much safer if you're uncertain of your control of fire.'

Alison glances at Lisette's boots, an urge to fix that which is used emanates from her.

Lisette says 'Alas, I had not even noticed the wear on my boots.'

Lisette says 'A good tailor can clean these up.'

Alison says 'Amarea run to the kitchens and bring some plates of food please.'

Lisette clambers to her feet.

Amarea curtseys before Alison.

(Amarea quickly moves away to the Tower pantry, preparing several plates of food and collecting some bread she had baked earlier that afternoon.)

Tower Square
and west.
Lady Lisette Varileos, Aes Sedai is standing here.
A hunter from Illian searches for the fabled Horn of Valere.
Lady Alison San, Logician. is standing here.

put all.plate barrel
Amarea puts a plate of vegetables in tangy sauce in a wooden barrel.
Amarea puts a plate of kippered eel in a wooden barrel.
Amarea puts a plate of roast beef and jacket potatoes in a wooden barrel.
Amarea puts a plate of roast beef and jacket potatoes in a wooden barrel.
Amarea puts a plate of hot stew with some bread in a wooden barrel.
Amarea puts a plate of roast potatoes and turnips in a wooden barrel.

put all.bread barrel
Amarea puts a loaf of crusty fresh bread in a wooden barrel.
Amarea puts a loaf of sugar bread in a wooden barrel.
Amarea puts a loaf of sugar bread in a wooden barrel.
Amarea puts a bread filled with raisins and nuts in a wooden barrel.

Lisette gets a plate of vegetables in tangy sauce from a wooden barrel.

Lisette says 'Thank you for the meal, Amarea.'

Lisette leaves east riding a bloodstock stallion. >>

Amarea comes out carrying an armfrul of bread. 'I made this batch just a little while ago, should still be nice and fresh.'

Amarea beams a broad smile from ear to ear.

Alison nods in agreement.

Alison says 'thanks'

Amarea says 'Hmm. So. The fountain is enough water, and the Cradle of Tears carries enough, to allow me to circumvent my block.'

Amarea says 'But the keg is not big enough, and water flasks or mugs are not.'

Alison says 'Or just stop your block.'

Alison says 'Explain to me your block?'

Amarea murmurs quietly in reply, 'I'm really trying, Aes Sedai, I am.'

Amarea sighs.

Amarea says 'Well, so far it seems like I have to be within three paces of some kind of water that is larger than the amount held in a keg. Otherwise, I can't sense the Source or other weaves at all, let alone try to channel.'

Alison says 'When did this start?'

Alison smiles at the aroma of baked bread in the air.

Amarea says 'From what Aelrena, Keshara, and Sheriam Sedai have talked to me about, it seems that I probably started channeling without realizing it sometime after my thirteenth nameday. That was about five years ago, Aes Sedai.'

Amarea says 'I didn't realize that I had a block until I was having trouble with my lessons. I...haven't been able to channel since I joined the White Tower.'

Alison says 'Well blocks are notoriously tied to emotions as well. What feelings do you have towards water or big bodies of water?'

Amarea looks down at the floor, abashed.

Amarea says quietly, 'I don't think it's about the water, Aes Sedai. If I had to guess, it's about the fire.'

Alison says 'Explain.'

Alison sits down on a bench.

Amarea grows quiet, fidgeting, still staring at the ground. She subconsciously scratches at her arm, some light scarring may be visible to those sitting near her.

Aleera stands quietly, as unobtrusively as possible so as not to distract or interrupt.

Alison frowns.

Amarea sits quietly for a long time, but finally says in a hoarse voice, 'I accidentally burned down my family's bakery, when I started channeling. I only just realized it this week. I don't like talking about it.'

Alison says 'It has nothing to do about like'

Alison says 'A memory is best understood by revisiting it as you grow as a person.'

Alison says 'Actions dont require like. Not liking that it happened, is not going to erase that it did happen.'

Amarea flinches, eyes flickering up at the White Ajah Sitter.

Alison says 'What you can do. Is understand that some actions, like blinking is without concious control. Thus this bakery incident was without control. Now you will have control. WIll you do it again?'

Amarea gasps in protest. 'Light, of course I don't want to do it again!'

Amarea adds belatedly, color in her cheeks, 'Aes Sedai.'

Alison says 'Correct.'

Alison says 'How many years ago was this event?'

Amarea says 'Five years ago, Aes Sedai.'

Alison says 'In 5 years you have grown from that event. Both in space and time.'

Amarea listens quietly, but thoughtfully.

Alison says 'The block you are talking about is all in your mind. Its there as you are there. Remove yourself and forgive yourself first and foremeost.'

Alison taps your left temple.

Aleera's lips turn up in a soft smile as she hears Alison reassure Amarea about those intervening years.

Alison says 'Secondly. This Amarea is not that Amarea. This Amarea will save those that got hurt with the One Power.'

Alison says 'That bakery over there is on fire.'

Amarea blushes faintly.

Alison says 'What do you do child'

Alison turns you to the bakery south west of them.

Amarea blinks her eyes innocently.

Amarea says 'What? Where?'

Alison says 'Your only chance is to weave water weaves at it. Do it now.'

Alison says 'No thinking, do'

Alison says 'Embrace'

Alison says 'Now'

Alison nudges you to go save the bakery.

Alison says 'Save those people'

Amarea protests, 'I have never channeled on purpose, Aes Sedai, I don't --!'

Alison says 'The fire is getting bigger.'

Alison says 'Do it'

Alison says 'Stop thinking, do it'

Alison says 'Embrace, save, weave..'

Alison says 'There is no block. There is no past. There is only now.'

Alison says 'the oven has fire inside.'

Alison says 'Its a bakery after all'

Amarea grits her teeth and takes a calming breath, but her heart is racing and her breathing is rapid.

Amarea looks like she is beginning to panic.

Alison says 'You are allowing emotions to control you.'

Alison says 'Repeat after me. 11'

Amarea falls to the ground, beginning to cry.

Alison says 'Say that number.'

Amarea sobs.

Amarea tries to speak through the crying, 'El-ele-ven...'

Alison says '567'

Aleera reflexively starts to take a step toward Amarea as she collapses, but stops, knowing she should not interrupt Alison Sedai.

Alison holds a finger up at Aleera.

Alison says 'Say the number, Amarea.'

Amarea cries quietly, eyes closed.

Amarea says 'Fi-five hu-undred...''

Alison says 'The mind cannot be emotional and logical at the same time. Repeating random numbers quiets the emotions.'

Alison says 'This will help.'

Alison says '45'

Aleera nods to Alison, stoic and unmoving once more.

Amarea sniffs sadly. *SNIFF*

Amarea seems to be calming a little, but is still only crying. She says in a mousy voice, 'Forty-five.'

Alison says 'How many wings does a butterfly have?'

Amarea says 'What?'

Amarea frowns.

Alison says '88'

Amarea says 'What kind...'

Alison says 'Say the number'

Amarea sniffs, wiping a snotty nose on her sleeve. 'Eighty-eight.'

Alison says 'Why do frogs hop and not walk?'

Alison says '923'

Amarea snorts at the absurdity of the question. 'Because they're frogs.'

Alison says 'Say the number.'

Alison studies the novice.

Amarea fishes out a handkerchief and wipes her nose with an attempt at dignity.

Alison removes her finger and nods at Aleera.

Amarea says quietly after a long pause, '923.'

Alison says 'Note Aleera that shock therapy doesnt work to break the block. Mind over matter seems to be a route to take.'

Aleera takes a step toward Amarea, not yet having that practiced Aes Sedai glide. She stops howeveras Amarea says the next number. She nods to Alison, taking heed of what she shares.

Amarea grits her teeth and stands up, then walks away from the fountain. She tries to embrace the Source, but at more than three paces, nothing works.

Alison says 'Just forgive yourself, Amarea. The past is behind you.'

Amarea folds her arms and complains, 'Aes Sedai, I want to break this more than anything. But I can't just will myself through it. Only one in four wilders survive the process. I've read texts on this that Aelrena Sedai gave me. If self-forgiveness really let me surrender, I would think that other
wilders would be having more success with it.'

Alison snickers softly.

Alison says 'You are not those wilders.'

Alison says 'When a past memory blocks us from saving people, it requires step 1 of forgiveness. You are bound to the Tower and we don't worry about blocks.'

Amarea says bitterly, her voice rising in volume, 'And the past might be behind me, but that's because I'm here at the Tower, getting fed and supported. Meanwhile, my parents can't afford enough food to put on the table for my six younger siblings, bcause they're still paying off a second loan they can't afford. Because of -me.-'

Amarea wipes at hot tears on her face.

Alison says 'Child, getting money to family is the easiest thing.'

Amarea scoffs.

Alison says 'Has no one given you gold?'

Alison says 'Gold is abundant. Family must never starve.'

Alison says 'Tell me the name of the people who deals with your family's loans.'

Amarea says 'I don't know their name, Aes Sedai, they're some bankers in Lugard.'

Alison says 'Write down the place where your family stays. I will go sort out this problem for you.'

Amarea looks skeptical.

Amarea sighs.

Amarea says 'My ma and da own the Lugard Bakery.'

Amarea says 'Beggin' your pardon, Aes Sedai, but Last is ringing and I need to go wash dishes. May I be excused? Please?'

Alison grabs a novice, 'Go call Lidia at the First stop bakery."

Alison nods in agreement.

Aleera takes a few steps towards Alison. Her voice, silent for some time now, though soft, cuts through, "She'll be able to help, Novice Amarea."

Alison nods at the burly woman entering the Courtyard, 'Lidia.'

Amarea curtseys, perhaps a touch hurriedly, and she heads to scurry inside. She pauses at Aleera's comment, and then heads in, saying nothing more.

(Amarea flees the Tower Square, finding solace in the simplicity of her chores in the Tower kitchens.)

The Kitchens
The smells of food fills this large, high ceilinged room, the scent of
meats mingling with those of fruits and vegetables. A long stone fireplace
with spits lies in the center of the eastern wall, the roasting spits being
turned by spit dogs running in their wicker baskets. Iron stoves and ovens
have been placed along other walls. Three large pairs of doors flank the
kitchen and a glimpse reveals they are large dining halls. Gray tiles cover
the floor and a large sink occupies a corner of the room.
[ obvious exits: E W ]
A giant sink sits here, filled with many dirty dishes.
An Accepted stands here, ready to fulfill any Aes Sedai request.
Laras the Mistress of the Kitchens is here directing the kitchen workers.

Aleera has arrived from the west.

Amarea finishes scrubbing a stack of dishes, and glances towards Aleera with eyes red from crying.

Aleera comes in, not terribly long after Amarea. Heedless of any water, soap, or other mess that she might get on herself, she walks directly over to Amarea and moves to try to place her arms around her and hug her tight.

Amarea blinks, and then leans into the hug, eyes tearing up again.

Amarea rubs her eyes and sighs heavily. 'I know she means well. Alison Sedai. But...'

Amarea says 'Where were the Aes Sedai when I set our bakery on fire? Or their gold, if it is so easy to get, when we spent years barely making ends meet?'

Amarea aggressively attacks another dish with a sponge.

Aleera softly says, "It really isn't your fault. The words are easy to say and maybe you can even believe it, but getting mind and heart to agree isn't something we just will to happen."

Aleera grabs a washcloth and a dish herself. She's not quite so aggressive with it.

Amarea nods decisively.

Amarea seems to be calming more as she works out her feelings on the dishes, sending another stack over to Mistress Laras. 'Thank you,' she offers Aleera with a small smile.

Aleera slowly works through some dishes as well. "I am always happy to talk; when you want or are ready," she shares, "And I have some other ideas, different ones, but I don't know that I am supposed to try to help you break your block or not. I will ... I will check with Aelrena Sedai."

Amarea says 'Light, Aleera. Right now, all I want is to find a way to be able to attend my lessons with Sheriam Sedai and actually be able to feel what she's doing, and be able to channel back. Until that, I can't learn anything.'

Amarea sighs.

Amarea says 'There's enough water in this sink.'

Amarea chuckles politely.

Amarea says 'But Sheriam Sedai isn't down here. She takes lessons in her office.'

Amarea says 'I can't make a ball of light, I can't protect myself. I know nothing.'

Aleera offers, "I can meet you down here. But I believe there's a risk that we'd strengthen your block."

Amarea pauses her cleaning, looking around the kitchen with a thoughtful look. 'Do you have a bucket? Or know where I can find one?'

Aleera says, "But let me ask you this. You shared that you could embrace when near water, even if you could not see it. And it was something Alison Sedai said about mind over matter." She pauses and asks, "Have you tried visualizing water, in your mind's eye? Clearing it of everything else and then picturing that cool fountain, or pond. Hearing the babble of a brook." She then says, after a glance about the room, "There are plenty of mop buckets about; just not here at the moment."

Amarea sets down her dishes, walks across the kitchen until she is sufficiently far enough away from the water-filled sink, and sits down on a stool. She takes several deep breaths, and then begins to visualize as instructed.

Amarea meditates for several long minutes, but despite her best effort, nothing changes, and the glow does not surround her.

Amarea shakes her head.

Amarea says 'No, it seems like it has to be real water.'

Aleera softly says, "See it. Hear it. Feel its touch on your skin." Her lips purse and she offers, "Thank you for trying."

Aleera says, "There is one other thing, but I don't think you'll like it."

Amarea chuckles mirthlessly.

Aleera hastens to say, "And I don't mean a switching from Sheriam Sedai."

Amarea says 'What is it?'

Aleera's somewhat bared shoulders near her neck seem to bear evidence of what looks to have been a switching. She says with measured reluctance, "Fire. But just a bit, like the flame of a small candle. With you near water and trying to embrace. If you can do so, then a larger flame."

Amarea 's face pales as her eyes widen.

Amarea gulps.

Amarea nods slowly. 'Alright.'

Aleera suggests, "If it is related to fire like you thought, then perhaps it could help desensitize you to that. I know it must be painful though. You're in control and you say when to stop."

Amarea senses Aleera connecting to the True Source.

Amarea says 'Maybe...maybe just make some fire in front of me? Like a floating candle flame or something.'

Aleera steps across the room, even giving Amarea greater space. There in the space immediately in front of Aleera, but a good bit away from Amarea, she weaves into existence a small, floating candle flame, feeding it with faint threads of fire and air.

Amarea shivers uncomfortably.

Aleera reminds Amarea, "You're in control."

Amarea blinks in surprise and disappointment as the flow of Power into her starts to wane, and as the fire expands, Amarea's connection the source proportionally wanes and eventually vanishes.

Amarea sighs.

Amarea says 'Light, that was pitiful. It wasn't even that big, and I'm still standing near the sink.'

Aleera releases the weave and begins again, starting and just maintaining a small candle flame. "Try again," she urges, "I won't make it larger. Let's see if you can maintain an embrace."

Amarea takes a breath, and almost seems to strain.

Amarea finally, with a sigh, manages to embrace the Source.

Amarea whines, 'I don't even feel scared of that right now, but it still won't work to draw on more of
the Power.'

Aleera says, "I don't want to push you too hard." She checks, paraphrasing Amarea, "You're not scared. Do you feel okay?"

Amarea nods thoughtfully.

Amarea says 'Candles and lanterns don't seem to bother me as much.'

Amarea says 'But it seems that my block isn't just water. It's that I need water, at hand, and enough to put out a fire if one were to form. So when the fire is larger, it seems like I probably will need more water too.'

Amarea sets down her towel and yawns.

Amarea says 'Thank you for your time, tonight, Accepted. I truly appreciated you.'

Aleera says 'Remind me of that again after some rest. We can work more. Please rest.'

Amarea says 'Good night, Aleera. And thank you again.'

Amarea curtseys before Aleera.

Catisune

Re: Blocked, Part Three: Testing the Waters

Post by Catisune » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:39 am

I have awarded Amarea 1 rpqp, Alison 1 qp, and Aelrena 1 qp for this log. See any silver-haired Aes Sedai to 'receive' your reward.