Blocked, Part One: A Block and a Hope

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Amarea

Blocked, Part One: A Block and a Hope

Post by Amarea » Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:08 am

Summary:
After overhearing and then briefly joining in on a lesson between Alison Sedai and Accepted Nori, Amarea receives word that Aelrena Sedai is looking for her. The novice heads into the Brown Ajah section of the White Tower to speak with her about her progress in her training. Amarea admits that she is struggling with homesickness, and struggling even more so with touching the True Source, let alone channeling the One Power. Aelrena helps Amarea begin to brainstorm potential causes and consequences of her wilder block, and offers a glimmer of hope for her future.

POV: Amarea
Main characters: Amarea, Aelrena

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A Large Apartment
The most prominent feature of the large apartment at the end of the hall is
the large balcony accessible to the north. A latched door mechanism allows
a large sheet of high-quality glass to slide across the entrance to the
balcony, as well as keeping the room very open and providing light from the
outside sky to filter into the room. A huge four-poster bed has been placed
along the east wall, and a full set of matching mahogany furniture, carved
in exotic twists, occupies the rest of the room. Pastoral scenes in
mahogany frames that match the furniture complete the decor. The only
exits are out onto the balcony, or through the door to the west.
[ obvious exits: W ]
Tucked away in the corner, a stone chest collects untold ages of dust.
Aelrena Solyan is standing here.
Saerin Asnobar, Aes Sedai of the Brown Ajah stands here.

Amarea curtseys before Aelrena.

Aelrena looks at Amarea.

Amarea hurries in the door and closes it gently behind her.

Aelrena says 'Ah, I see that you've managed to find me child.'

Amarea says 'Beggin' your pardon, Aes Sedai. Isela said you were looking for me. I was trying to quick grab some bread from the pantry, but the larder needs to be restocked.'

Amarea blushes furiously.

Aelrena stands in close conference with Saerin, a stack of books held in her arms as she turns to the novice.

Amarea says 'Ma always taught me not to show up to a meetin' without some refreshments. This is all I could find.'

Amarea gives a plate of roast potatoes and turnips to Aelrena.

Amarea says 'I hope you like turnips?'

Aelrena says 'I suppose it shall do, though I've recently eaten myself.'

Aelrena's lips twitch up slightly at the corners.

Aelrena gives Amarea a plate of roast potatoes and turnips.

Amarea nods in agreement.

Aelrena says 'Why don't you eat it child.'

Aelrena beckons everyone to follow her.

Amarea now follows Aelrena.

Aelrena glides toward the door, her smooth gait seemingly unaffected by the load in her arms.

Aelrena opens the woodendoor.

Aelrena leaves west. <<
Amarea follows Aelrena.

Continuing Down the Hall
[ obvious exits: N E S W ]
A multitude of doors line both sides of the hallway, each with a richly
decorated carved corniche of redwood leaves and cones above them. A
similarly decorated frieze of redwood leaves, flowers and cones sits just
below the curvature of the arched ceiling. Framed portraits in dark wooden
frames contrast sharply with the white stone walls.
A young girl in a plain white dress stands here.

Aelrena leaves north. ^^
Amarea follows Aelrena.

Study of the Brown Ajah
Tall, arched windows in the northern wall open to a balcony, providing a
choice view of the Erinin as it flows south from the Borderlands. Half the
seating in the room is drawn up around the windows, showing that the
occupants appreciate the panorama. The remaining seats are drawn up in
circles of six to eight, allowing Brown Sisters to discuss the furtherance
of knowledge, or new theories in an informal atmosphere. Colorful wall
hangings depicting still lifes decorate the pale white walls.
[ obvious exits: S ]
A large desk made of fine, thick wood stands across the room from here.
A silver-haired Aes Sedai sits here, reading.
A Brown Sister is here, frowning pensively.
Danelle Sedai, sitter for the Brown Ajah stands here deep in thought.

Amarea senses Aelrena connecting to the True Source.

Aelrena gestures at the door with her hand.

The door silently swings shut and lock with a soft *click*.

Amarea eyes the food, giving Aelrena a look to seek reassurance, before quickly and meticulously clearing the plate.

Amarea eats the food.

Aelrena moves to settle upon the window sill, gesturing to a plain wooden seat that has been set across from it.

Amarea blushes as she catches herself licking her fingers. She murmurs, 'Thank you.'

Aelrena says 'Sit, sit Child.'

Amarea sits down.

Aelrena says 'You are quite welcome. Now, it's my understanding that you're new to Novice whites.'

Aelrena looks at Amarea.

Amarea 's eyes are drifting away to study the colorful wall hangings, then turn back to you with a quick nod.

Amarea says 'Aye, Aes Sedai. I came here from Lugard just this past week.'

Aelrena steeples her fingers, peering at the young novice over the top of them.

Amarea corrects herself, 'Well, I was visiting my favorite aunt in Alindaer, which is why I was so close, and came here to see the White Tower for myself.'

Aelrena says 'I see, it is good that you find your way here. How have your studies been progressing? Are they everything that you hoped they would be?'

Amarea freezes for such a brief period that someone less attentive might miss it. She swallows. 'The lessons from the Aes Sedai on this floor have been wonderful, truly. I've learned so much that I never knew. Things about the Age of Legends, and the Breaking of the World. The Wheel of Time, the Age Lace. About...Shadowspawn.'

Amarea 's eyes light up for a moment. 'Saerin Sedai told me that in the Age of Legends, material wealth was not as important as acts of service, and that made me glad. Our family...doesn't have much money.'

Aelrena nods at Amarea.

Aelrena says 'I take you were under the impression that Shadowspawn were merely tales to frighten children into behaving for their mothers? Most girls are.'

Aelrena nods at Amarea.

Amarea nods and smile sheepishly. 'Yes, I have to admit that's true. I still haven't seen a Trolloc, but Kiruna Sedai had pictures.'

Amarea shivers uncomfortably.

Aelrena says 'That is something that I myself can relate to. I was the oldest of my siblings, and had to provide additional income for the household before I found my way to the Tower.'

Amarea's eyes light up again. 'Oh, you did? Me too!'

Amarea explains excitedly, 'I have six younger brothers and sisters. I'm the oldest, you see. My ma and pa own and run the Lugard Bakery.'

Aelrena smiles patiently as the girls speaks about her family, her expression tranquil as she listens.

Amarea turns around to her bag and pulls out a sheet of paper.

Amarea gets a sheet of paper from a backpack.

exa paper
There is something written upon it:

Maigdhal 2, 1544

Dear Ma and Pa,

I hope this message finds you and my brothers and sisters well. I had a lovely vacation with Aunt
Nallie this summer. She truly is a wonderful aunt. She let me ride her horses, and take care of her
chickens, and we had tea and told stories about when you were children. Thanks for letting me take
some time away from the bakery shop to visit with her.

Amarea is probably wondering why it's the fall now, and why I am writing this to you rather than
coming in person to explain it to you. I know I've been gone longer than I had planned.

The truth is...I had something wonderful happen. Something I never could have possibly expected. I
went to Tar Valon to visit, just to see the White Tower, like in all of those stories Pa read to me
n I was a child. And while I was here, I did something rather spontaneous. I went and petitioned
to meet with an Aes Sedai. I thought...I couldn't bear to be this close and never ask, never wonder
if maybe I could somehow learn to one day become a hero like them. So I asked.

I met a woman, Keshara Sedai, from the Blue Ajah. And she told me that...I have the 'spark', they
call it. And apparently I'm really lucky to be alive. You remember those headaches I had? All that
time I was bedridden back after my thirteenth nameday? Well, that was me learning how to channel,
except I never really did know what I was doing. Somehow I survived, and not only can I learn how to
use it some day, but I've been weaving the One Power without even knowing.

There are two things I must tell you about that are very hard for me to admit, even in writing.

First, I learned that the fire...the one that ruined our bakery and has put us in such a dire
predicament with the ledgers...That was me. Oh, mother, I am so sorry. I can't begin to explain how
sorry I am. It wasn't my fault, but it was. Somehow I must have channeled, and started the fire and
never knew it. Please, please say you will forgive me.

By the Light, I swear I will help you somehow to pay off the debt that shackles our family when you
had to get that loan to restore the bakery, and find a way to get us all out of this mess. I'm
sorry, I'm sorry, I really am.

Second, and this one might be even harder to admit...I am not coming home. Not yet, anyway. I joined
the White Tower, Ma. I am a novice now, and some day I'm going to be an Aes Sedai, I feel it in my
bones. I know this must be so hard on you, that I help out so much with the bakery, and with the
other children. But I'm not allowed to leave the island, not yet anyway, not until I can prove
myself to the Aes Sedai and learn how to actually channel.

The White Tower, Ma...It's amazing. It's beautiful. I cried when I saw it the first time. Light, I
still tear up when I look at it and know that it's...my new home now. I can't believe it even when I
write it. The Great Library is just that, great - beyond great. All this knowledge, stored and
safeguarded, and I just can't soak it in fast enough.

And the food! I can eat as much as I need to, and everything is free. Mistress Laras said I could
have extra portions on account of how skinny I was when I came here. I think she knew that things
have been hard on us, that I haven't been eating enough because the money has been so tight. I think
she's been a little easier on me than some of the other girls, even though I am trying to work just
as hard as all of them.

Light, I'm rambling again. Ma, Pa, please know that I love you and I miss you fiercely. Please send
my dearest love to Janun, Ilois, Amaine, Mys, Caul, and Erys. I'll be thinking of all of you and
missing you terribly this winter.

With all my love,
Rea

Amarea begins to tear up.

Amarea says 'I wrote them a letter. I miss them something fiercely. I don't know how to send this to them.'

Amarea gives a sheet of paper to Aelrena.

Amarea surreptitiously wipes her face, trying to smile.

Aelrena scans the letter before folding it neatly and stowing it a way in a pouch at her waist, "I'll see this goes where it needs to Child."

Amarea beams a broad smile from ear to ear.

Amarea says 'Oh, thank you, Aes Sedai. I know they'll be missin' me.'

Aelrena says 'There is no shame in missing your family, especially when you didn't realize you wouldn't be returning.'

Aelrena says 'If you need to speak about them more, I'm certain Sheriam's study is open. If I'm available you may also speak to me.'

Amarea says 'I know I'm a grown woman, and that I need to adjust to this place being my new home. It's just been a lot to adjust.'

Aelrena says 'You have time, there's no need to rush.'

Amarea begins to tear up again. 'Aes Sedai, can I share something with you? Something important.'

Aelrena moves the stack of books from the window sill, placing them on the floor beside her feet before patting the space beside her.

Aelrena says 'Come sit here and tell me what you feel you must.'

Amarea moves over to the open space, a look of relief and appreciation on her sad face.

Aelrena scoots over slightly for the girl, turning her torso to face her.

Amarea admits as she looks down at the ground, 'I feel like a fraud. Keshara Sedai said she sensed the potential in me, and said I must have had the 'spark' to channel one day whether I wanted to or not. But I've been trying, and trying, all week to learn how to touch the Source, but I haven't been able to do it once. Not that I can tell, anyway. And I haven't been able to pick up any of the weaves Sheriam Sedai is trying to teach me.'

Aelrena says 'Is that so?'

Amarea nods at her.

Amarea says 'A soldier asked me in the Tower Square if I could help Heal his wounds, and I was so embarrassed I didn't know what to do. All I could do was bake him some bread to help him feel better.'

Aelrena says 'I see, and the bread you made helped him to feel better?'

Amarea says 'I guess so. He said he liked it. I'm a good baker, I know that. It's not bragging if it's true.'

Amarea says 'They're not going to...kick me out, are they? If I can't figure it out?'

Aelrena says 'Amarea, I sense your potential just as Keshara Sedai does. You do not need to fear that we will put you out before you learn to control your ability.'

Amarea cries quietly in relief.

Aelrena pulls the novice into her side with one arm, rubbing smooth circles into her back as she cries.

Aelrena says 'Though I will admit I find myself more than a touch intrigued. '

Amarea pulls a kerchief from her pocket and wipes her eyes. 'I felt so guilty for leaving my family,' she admits, 'and then when I couldn't get any of it to work, it felt like it was my fault. Like the Wheel saying I shouldn't have come.'

Aelrena says 'Child, if you were not meant to come to Tar Valon you would not have found your wayhere.'

Amarea offers a small smile and nods.

Aelrena says 'The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, as ever.'

Aelrena says 'Now, you say that you have not managed to embrace the One Power a single time since your name was written in the Novice book?'

Amarea frowns curiously. 'Sheriam Sedai said I might have some kind of...block, she called it? That maybe somehow my mind has locked away my ability to touch the Source.'

Aelrena nods in agreement.

Amarea says 'I...don't know. I had a moment outside just a few minutes ago, actually, by the Merchant Square. Alison Sedai was showing me how the Gate weave leaves a...residue of sorts. I was able to feel it all of a sudden, there, but couldn't see it.'

Amarea says 'And for a moment, it resonated with me. Like I felt kind of an energy through me. It felt good. Really good. But it was just for a second. And I didn't do anything specific.'

Aelrena says 'That is not uncommon in women who do not have an Aes Sedai to teach them how to safely channel Saidar.'

Aelrena says 'Describe the scene to me. What were you hearing? What could you see? Who was there? Was there any particular smells?'

Amarea nods thoughtfully.

Amarea says 'Let me see...'

Amarea closes her eyes, taking a breath as she tries to recreate the scene in her mind's eye.

Amarea murmus as she thinks aloud. 'Alison Sedai was giving a lesson to Nori about differences in philosophies and missions of the Red and White Ajahs.'

Amarea says 'I was sitting by the fountain in the Merchant Square. She walked us down to Southharbor, then formed a gateway back to the square.'

Aelrena embraces the One Power as the girl speaks, channeling all fives powers in a complex weave as images begin to appear within the study, a fountain growing out of the floor as Alison and Nori speak beside an open gateway.

Amarea says 'I couldn't see the residue, there in the square, but I felt it. And I reached out for it, and that was when I felt something.'

Amarea opens her eyes, and gasps as she suddenly sees the image. 'Oh, Light, that is something.'

Aelrena says 'Was it something similar to this, child?'

Aelrena releases the One Power and the illusions fade all at once, the appearance of the study returning to normal.

Amarea leans forward, studying the image slack-jawed with curiosity. 'That's a beautiful weave.'

Amarea sighs as it vanishes. 'I wish I could do something like that.'

Aelrena says 'Good, then it is at least something to work with.'

Aelrena says 'Keep that desire then, because one day you'll be able if you manage to break this block of yours.'

Aelrena abruptly stands, moving over to one of the bookshelves muttering to herself before drawing a single thick tome out.

Amarea beams a broad smile from ear to ear.

Amarea says 'Light, I hope so, Aes Sedai.'

Aelrena gives Amarea a tooled leather book.

read book
It is a tooled leather book.

Amarea looks at the book curiously.

Amarea says 'What is this book about, Aelrena Sedai?'

Aelrena says 'Keep it child, this book will teach you a touch about blocks.'

Amarea says 'Oh!'

Amarea's eyes light up.

Aelrena says 'That at the least will give you some basic information, though I expect to see it returned to the depository in the same condition it's in now.'

Amarea nods enthusiastically. She thinks for a moment as she squints her eyes. 'The...Eighth Depository, right? On the One Power and items of the Power?'

Aelrena's expression turns a touch grim, and for the first time you wonder if this is a woman you'd enjoy seeing angry.

Amarea pulls back reflexively, nodding. She clutches the book to her chest. 'I love books, Aes Sedai. I read stories all the time to my brothers and sisters. And this one...this one is very special, if you think it can help me. I would never harm it, not knowingly.'

Aelrena says 'Good, good. I'll expect to see you in the coming week then. You are still to attend your normal lessons and chores, but until this block is broken I expect to see you working with myself or another of the Aes Sedai.'

Amarea mutters half to herself, 'Right now I'd settle for just bein' able to figure out what it is, so I can at least begin my lessons in earnest.'

Aelrena says 'Impatience is for men and fool girls who don't know any better.'

Aelrena says 'Would you say that you're a fool girl?'

Aelrena arches an eyebrow.

Amarea jokes, 'My brother Janun probably would.'

Amarea chuckles politely.

Aelrena smirks.

Aelrena says 'Brothers often find themselves confused on the truth of things.'

Amarea replies more seriously, 'No, Aes Sedai. I'm not a fool girl. Just a little foolish sometimes.'

Aelrena's lips twitch but her eyes briefly move toward her belt pouch as if of their own accord.

Amarea says 'Aye, that they do.'

Aelrena nods her head, "Good, every girl is entitled to foolishness before she learns better. I expect you'll learn better quickly."

Amarea nods vigorously.

Aelrena stands once again from her seat, gently pulling the girl along with her toward the entrance of the study.

Amarea says 'I will, Aes Sedai, I swear it. I learn things quickly. Normally, I do, anyway.'

Amarea says softly, warmly, 'Thank you, Aelrena Sedai. You don't know what this means to me.' She hugs the book tighter, a look of hope on her face.

Aelrena says 'Come see me on the 2nd of Taisham, and I will work more closely with you on your block. '

Aelrena says 'Now, go find your bed girl, it is late.'

Amarea curtseys before Aelrena.

Amarea senses Aelrena connecting to the True Source.

Amarea says 'The Light favor you, Aes Sedai.'

Aelrena gestures with her hand.

The door smoothly swings open.

Catisune

Re: Blocked, Part One: A Block and a Hope

Post by Catisune » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:15 am

I have awarded Amarea 2 rpqps and Aelrena 1 qp for this log. See any silver-haired Aes Sedai to 'receive' them.

I've really enjoyed watching Amarea's block unfold and look forward to seeing how/if she ultimately resolves it.