The Beginning of a New Journey

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Amarea

The Beginning of a New Journey

Post by Amarea » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:20 am

Summary:
While visiting her favorite aunt in her home in Alindaer, Amarea works up the courage to petition an Aes Sedai to determine whether she has the "spark" to touch the True Source and channel the One Power. There, she meets with Keshara, Aes Sedai of the Blue Ajah. During this fateful meeting, Amarea makes a series of stunning discoveries that turn her world upside down: Not only does she have the potential to channel, but she is a wilder who survived the process of learning on her own and has unknowingly been channeling for nearly five years. Amarea shares some details about the mysterious illness she survived and the fire she now understands was caused by weaving unknowingly. The young woman agrees to sign her name into the novice book of the White Tower, so she can make sure never to harm someone else again unintentionally, and has a short conversation with Accepted Evee about what it means to be Accepted.

POV: Amarea
Main characters: Amarea, Keshara
Minor character: Evee

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In the Guest Room
This windowless room is outfitted with all amenities that would accomodate
a long stay as a guest of the White Tower. There is a bed large enough for
two, a table and two chairs, a wash basin with a mirror and a richly
decorated chamber screen, painted with birds in flight. A pile of wood lies
next to a hearth, above which hangs a painting of a sweeping landscape.
[ obvious exits: S ]
A large man eyes the surroundings warily, every movement fluid.
A rudely confident woman with an ageless face walks by.
An Illian Companion soldier keeps a vigilant watch here.
An Illian Companion soldier keeps a vigilant watch here.
An attentive ambassador stands here.

Keshara tells Amarea 'Child, have you made it to Tar Valon?'

Amarea tells Keshara 'Yes, Aes Sedai. I was waiting in a guest room on the ground floor of the White Tower.'

The door is opened from the other side.

Keshara has arrived from the south.

Amarea hastily scrambles to her feet.

Amarea stands up.

Keshara looks about the room for the petitioner on her sheet.

Keshara says 'Ah-Ma-Re-Ah?'

Amarea offers a practiced curtsey, as a commoner or a serving woman would to a lady.

Keshara looks down at the sheet of paper and then back at the people in the room.

Amarea raises a hand meekly. 'Yes, Aes Sedai. That'd be me.'

Keshara says 'Ah, there. Good, yes, come with me and I will see about your petition.'

Amarea nods, a shy smile spreading onto her face in spite of her obvious nervousness.

Amarea now follows Keshara.

Amarea is now a member of Keshara's group.

Keshara leaves south. vv
Amarea follows Keshara.

(Keshara leads Amarea to the conservatory of the Blue Ajah.)

Conservatory of the Blue Ajah
During daytime, bright light floods in from tall, arched windows set in the
eastern wall, which offer a view of the many spires of Tar Valon as well as
the eastern bank of the Erinin. On clear days, the peaks of the Dragonwall
can be seen, far away to the east. Bookshelves, tables, maps and charts are
all present as the Blue sisters prepare for whatever tasks currently occupy
them or as they plan business away from the Tower. On one wall hang two
large portraits of Ciel Sedai and Adaire Sedai, with white ribbons of
mourning tied into the latticework of the frames.
[ obvious exits: W ]
A chair made of red oak rests next to the table. [2]
A large desk made of fine, thick wood stands across the room from here.
Keshara the Elder Sister is standing here.
A silver-haired Aes Sedai sits here, reading.
A Blue Sister is here, planning her next journey.
Anaiya Sedai of the Blue Ajah stands here.

Keshara says 'Have a seat, child.'

Amarea offers another curtsey to the room at large, beginning to blush at the number of Aes Sedai before her.

Amarea nods in agreement.

Amarea sits down on a stout oaken chair.

Amarea is now sitting here, fidgeting nervously with her hands.

Keshara walks over to the other side of the room, a large desk between the two.

Keshara places a sheet of paper on the desk, looking down at it a moment.

Keshara raises her eyes to meet the young girl's.

Amarea takes a breath and can't help but look around the room, eyes taking in details in awe.

Keshara says 'I think it is best to come from your lips, why do you petition the White Tower, Child?'

Amarea speaks with a clear Lugarder tilting accent, 'Oh, yes. Umm. Hello, Aes Sedai. My name is Amarea Helsen.'

Keshara nods her head briskly once.

Amarea says 'I...I would like to know if perhaps I could be tested. You know, to see if I have the ability to learn what...you can do.'

Amarea rambles a bit as she explains, 'I was visiting my aunt in Alindaer, and I just couldn't let myself leave without stopping here. I've read a lot of stories about, well, people like you. Aes Sedai.'

Keshara embraces the Source, pauses, and nods once more at the young girl.

Keshara says 'Child, you have the potential. I can sense the Spark in you.'

Amarea freezes mid word, eyes widening in stunned silence.

Keshara says 'What sorts of stories do you recall, of us Aes Sedai?'

Amarea blinks her eyes innocently.

Amarea shifts in her chair.

Keshara sits down in the large-backed chair, leaning back as she contemplates the girl.

Amarea says 'Well, of...helping the poor, and the sick and injured. Of tending to the people who need it the most. Of meetin' with kings and queens, and sharing advice to everyone who needs it.'

Keshara says 'And what have you heard of the training to become an Aes Sedai?'

Keshara grabs a nearby quill and begins making notes on the sheet of paper on the desk.

Amarea admits, 'Not much, I'm afraid. Just that anyone who wants to try will need to start here.''

Keshara leans further, smiling kindly at the girl seated before her.

Amarea asks nervously, 'Is it...expensive? To learn?'

Keshara says 'You were right to come here. It is a difficult journey to take, but we can teach you
how to harness your Spark safely. And guide you how to use it in a manner that fits the Light.'

Keshara waves the comment away with her hand.

Amarea looks in her pack for a moment, fishing around for some coins. 'I made some money in town today, selling some of the bread we make at my family's bakery...'

Keshara says 'That will all be covered by the White Tower, dear. Your meals, clothing, and training all.'

Amarea startles, taken aback as she looks up from Keshara, and then a look of relief washes over her before it is quickly replaced by one of excitement. 'Oh, really? Oh, that's wonderful, my lady. Truly.'

Keshara says 'So go ahead and put your money away.'

Amarea can't help but ask, 'Even the meals? You're sure?'

Amarea blushes furiously.

Keshara chuckles dryly 'Yes, Child, even the meals. You'll even help make some of them.'

Amarea 's face lights up at that. 'Oh, I would enjoy that, really.'

Keshara says 'I said the training will be difficult. You will be expected to do chores around the Tower, study hard on your lessons, and learn how to control and channel Saidar.'

Amarea says 'Here, I baked this bread fresh today. Please, have some if you like. It's the least I can do.'

Amarea gives a loaf of sugar bread to Keshara.

Amarea beams a broad smile from ear to ear.

Keshara says 'Thank you, Child. I'll save that for another time.'

Keshara puts a loaf of sugar bread in a desk.

Amarea says 'I can do the training, my lady. Really, I'm willin' to try if you'll have me. I worked really hard at my arithmetic, and my penmanship, to help with the ledgers at our shop. And I love to read.'

Keshara says 'To begin in the Tower, you will start off as a Novice. Your job is to do chores, acclimate to your new life, study, and learn to control your powers.'

Amarea nods, eyes focused intently on Keshara.

Keshara says 'That won't shorten the lessons you have to take, but it is good that you have a foundation to work with. The penmenship itself is useful when aiding Aes Sedai.'

Keshara says 'While a Novice, you will be constrained to the island of Tar Valon until such a time you become Accepted.'

Keshara looks at the young girl and nods.

Keshara says 'If you are truly sure you want to try, let us speak to my Sister.'

Amarea 's smile slides off her face as she pauses for a while. 'Umm. How long does that usually take? I can't leave the island at all? Not even to...see family?'

Keshara says 'This is not an academy, Child. When you join, you are starting a new life with us. You will eventually have to learn to leave your previous life behind.'

Keshara says 'That may seem hard, but the Aes Sedai and Accepted you see around the Tower have done it. Their focus is on their studies and to the Light.'

Amarea bites her lip and she squirms under your gaze. She murmurs almost inaudibly to herself, 'Oh, Light.'

Keshara crosses her arms against her chest, lowering her gaze

Amarea raises her voice a bit and explains, 'Well, you see...My ma and da don't actually know I'm here. I'm the oldest of seven, and...' She trails off.

Amarea says 'Is...is there a way to earn some coin on the island? Can I still write them?'

Keshara levels a warm smile at the young girl.

Keshara says 'We can arrange a letter and courier, we do not want them to worry about you.'

Amarea murmurs, half to herself, 'I've never been anything but ordinary. All my life, I've worked so hard to be there for my family. They're all I have. I don't want to give that up. But...you're sure I can learn?'

Amarea says 'How do I know I can...channel? Use the One Power?'

Keshara says 'Women who can channel can sense when other people can as well. I sense it in you.'

Keshara gives Amarea a long look.

Amarea 's eyes are filled with hope, overwhelming the nervousness that has been welling up inside her.
Amarea emote: Amarea's eyes are filled with hope, overwhelming the nervousness that has been welling up
inside her.

Keshara says 'Tell me, Child, why did you come to the Tower? What made you think you should be
tested at all?'

Amarea admits with a deepening blush, 'Mostly foolishness and hope to be something more, Aes Sedai.' She sighs, and then frowns with a curious look on her face. 'Although, my aunt did say something odd to me the other day while I've been visiting. She said some people learn how to do it, to...channel without even realizing it. But it usually makes you really sick. And that got me thinking.'

Keshara furrows her brows as she listens to the young girl's story.

Amarea says 'I had this time, back around my thirteenth or fourteenth nameday, when I was really sick for a few months. I remember the headaches, and bein' sick to my stomach. Wouldn't last all the time. But I'd often be bedridden for a few days, and then it would go away.'

Keshara says 'I am sorry to hear that, Child.'

Amarea says 'My ma called a healer over, someone to take a look at me, but they couldn't find anything wrong. But it just kind of stopped one day, and I haven't had it since.'

Amarea shrugs nervously.

Keshara says 'Before you got sick, did you notice anything out of the ordinary? An animal that was sick and then got better? Maybe a few days before you fell ill?'

Keshara picks up the sheet of paper, reaching behind her to place it in a bin.

Amarea frowns, thinking. She jokes, 'I made really good bread. Sometimes I felt like I knew it would come out perfectly before I even put it in the oven. I won a prize for best honeycakes at the Feast of Abram that year. Does that count?'

Amarea pauses suddenly. 'Oh. There was also...'

Keshara gets a small smile on her face.

Amarea swallows, suddenly very withdrawn. 'We had a fire. At our bakery, while I was in the kitchen.'

Amarea looks down.

Keshara rises gently and glides over to the young girl.

Amarea rubs at her eyes, trying to hide the fact that she is crying. 'Was...was that me?'

Keshara places a comforting hand on Amarea's shoulder.

Keshara says 'What happened to the fire? Was the bakery lost?'

Amarea takes a breath, calming herself.

Amarea replies quietly, in a subdued tone, 'No one was injured too badly, thank the Light. The babes, my two youngest siblings at the time, got some smoke in their lungs but...they were able to get over it. There was this fire in the oven, a wild thing. I don't know how it happened. It spread through the kitchen.'

Amarea says 'The bakery burned, but we were all safe. But it's taken us years to work off the debt...Money is really tight still.'

Amarea whispers, 'I didn't mean to do it. I don't know what happened.'

Keshara hushes Amarea 'There is no need to go into it all now. It wasn't your fault. But it is imperative that you come to us for training. We will help you control it.'

Amarea looks relieved as she stops talking. She rubs her tears on her apron and, after a minute, looks up to meet your gaze.

Keshara pulls out a piece of cloth from somewhere and hands it to Amarea.

Amarea says 'I want to learn, Aes Sedai. Light help me, but I do. I don't want that to happen again.'

Keshara holds out her hand 'The come with me and let us take the next step.'

Amarea accepts the cloth and tries to wipe the tears in a more dignified manner, taking another breath as she calms herself.

Amarea stands up.

Amarea whispers, 'Thank you.'

Keshara says 'Please grab the door, Child.'

Keshara glides past Amarea out of the room.

Keshara leaves west. <<
Amarea follows Keshara.

(Keshara leads Amarea to the Mistress of Novices, to discuss the process of formally signging her name into the book of novices as a new initiate.)

The Mistress of Novices' Study
This is a compact, dark-paneled room full of plain sturdy furnishings that
have been used by generations of women who have held this office. The desk
near the center of the room is plainly made and heavily worn through years
of use. A large mirror with flaking gilt hangs from one of the walls. Used
for switching disobedient initiates, as well as Aes Sedai who do penance, a
bench-like contraption that has a padded leather cushion to kneel on, as
well as a padded leather area to lean on. A selection of switches, ranging
from a slender willow switch to a slipper lie on a table nearby.
[ obvious exits: E ]
A large desk made of fine, thick wood stands across the room from here.
Sheriam the Mistress of Novices studies you with a stern expression.

Amarea curtseys before Sheriam.

Keshara brings Amarea to face Sheriam's formidable desk.

Keshara says 'I have a young girl who wishes to learn.'

Keshara says 'Sheriam Sedai, please add Amarea to the Book of Novices.'

Amarea puts on a brave face, but keeps a hand on her stomach as she continues to take calming breaths.

(Sheriam walks Amarea through the formal induction process as a new novice.)

Keshara says 'Thank you, Sister.'

Amarea quickly changes into the white dress, blushing slightly as she undresses.

Keshara turns to Amarea. 'Mind carefully Sheriam Sedai's words.'

Amarea holds the other dress cut in Murandian fashion in her hands, studying the apron, then turns to Keshara and nods.

Keshara says 'As your lessons progress you can PRACtice your weaves with her, learning more as your grow stronger.'

Keshara says 'As a Novice, be sure to listen to the Accepted and Aes Sedai. They will train you and guide you as a Novice.'

Amarea says 'Yes, my lady.'

(Keshara leads Amarea just outside the office.)

Keshara says 'Take a look at the Roster here. It directs you to several individual lessons from the seven Ajahs, and directs you to Accepted Maighan who teaches Novice Orientation.'

Keshara says 'Be sure to take these lessons when you have free time between your other studies and chores.'

Amarea quickly skims over it, her eyes widening with excitement. 'You have a library here?'

Keshara says 'I am surprised you haven't heard of it.'

Amarea admits sheepishly, 'A lot of the stories talk about the women who do great things with the One Power, and their handso...Err, their brave Warders. It doesn't mention much about a library. But I love to read. I will have to look into it later.'

Keshara says 'It also tells you to READ TOUR here. Do that when you can, to get a better feel for the key locations of your new home.'

Keshara says 'Any questions so far?'

Amarea shakes her head at Keshara.

Amarea says 'No, my lady.'

Keshara says 'Your books may not go into much detail about Aes Sedai. We are comprised of seven Ajahs, each with Sisters that have certain focuses.'

Amarea 's eyes take in the roster, and she commits it to memory after studying it further.

Keshara says 'In fact, there is a whole Ajah dedicated to studying and archiving knowledge. A large library is necessary for such things.'

Amarea says 'Oh, that is very special indeed. Which...Ajah are you a part of?'

Keshara gestures to the blue Shawl that hangs against her shoulder.

Amarea smiles happily.

Keshara says 'I am a Sister of the Blue Ajah, Child. You will learn more of the Ajahs in the lessons from the roster.'

Amarea says meekly, 'Yes, Aes Sedai. I'll attend the lessons right away.'

Keshara says 'This is your entrance into the Well, your dormitories.'

Keshara lays a hand on the solid wood of the door.

Keshara says 'Knock on the door, and you will be let in. Novices can use this door.'

Amarea knocks on the chamberdoor.

The chamber door swings open.

The chamber door closes quietly.

Keshara says 'Knock on the door once more.'

Keshara leaves east. >>
Amarea follows Keshara.

In a Small Room
This small, windowless room is used to house an initiate of the Tower. A
closet contains the girl's dresses, smallclothes, slippers and cloak, while
a small wash basin and pitcher has been placed in a corner of the room. A
plain, nicked chair stands against the wall and the bed has been neatly
made. A small round rug in an Illianer circular pattern adorns the ground.
[ obvious exits: E W ]
Dian the red haired Accepted is standing here, taking care of the quarters.

Keshara says 'This is Accepted Dian, who safeguards the Clan Chest for Novices and Accepted.'

Amarea gasps in astonishment.

Amarea says 'There is so much equipment here!'

Keshara says 'You can LIST her contents, as well as withdraw and store items.'

Keshara leaves east. >>
Amarea follows Keshara.

In the Well
This open-roofed building used to house the initiates of the Tower consists
of nine levels, but only three of them are currently in use. A number of
small, windowless rooms open up to a gallery which surrounds a courtyard,
there is ample fresh air. A fountain with a small garden sits at the bottom
of this well, the sound of falling waters echoing among the towering walls.
[ obvious exits: E W ]
A young girl in a plain white dress stands here.
Evee the Journey Accepted is standing here.
Kennira, Caretaker of Novices tends to the boarding of her young charges.

Amarea blushes as she self-consciously studies her own secondhand equipment.

Evee curtseys before Keshara.

Evee smiles at Amarea.

Amarea waves sheepishly.

Keshara says 'And this is Kennira, she will show you to your new quarters, and assign you to aroommate most likely.'

Keshara says 'Accepted, please welcome our newest Novice.'

Evee says 'how do you do? Amarea is it?'

Keshara says 'Everything else will be covered on the Roster's tour or in Novice Orientation.'

Amarea says 'Yes. I'm Amarea Helsen, from Lugard.'

Keshara says 'Any last questions before I leave you to get acclimated to your new home?'

Amarea says 'A silly question, I'm sure. What do you mean by 'Accepted'?'

Evee smiles faintly.

Keshara says 'Accepted, I will leave you to answer that.'

Amarea smiles at Evee.

Amarea stops following Keshara.

Evee says 'of course.'

Amarea curtseys before Keshara.

Evee curtseys before Keshara.

Amarea pauses, then gives Keshara a small side hug, blushing. 'Thank you,' she whispers.

Keshara says 'Welcome home, Novice Amarea. I encourage you to ask questions like that, it is how you learn after all.'

Keshara gives Amarea a reassuring squeeze of the shoulder.

Keshara leaves east. >>

The chamber door closes quietly.

Amarea nods, then stands a little taller, composing herself with a breath.

Evee says 'Accepted is what novices who have completed their initiate studies and have passed through The Arches.'

Evee says 'it is...'

Amarea nods slowly, trying to drink all of the information in.

Evee says 'a middle ground on their way to becoming full Aes Sedai'

Evee says 'and we get to leave the island and travel abroad.'

Evee smiles happily.

Amarea says 'Oh, really?'

Amarea's eyes light up.

Amarea says 'It has been...Well, there is a lot on my mind today. A lot to take in.'

Evee says 'I undertand.'

Evee says 'I was once in your shoes.'

Evee says 'I would suggest to pay close attention to the rules listed in the handbook.'

Evee says 'nothing worse than getting a tongue lashing from an Aes Sedai and losing merit points.'

Amarea grimaces abashedly.

Evee looks at Amarea.

Evee says 'you can store personal things here with Kennira'

Amarea says 'I think I need to revisit my equipment'

Evee says 'and the novice chest is west'

Evee says 'it should have sufficient gear for what you'll need for the near future.'

Amarea smiles happily.

Amarea says 'Oh, thank you so much!'

Evee says 'anytime.'

Amarea says 'How long have you been here? Evee, was it?'

Evee says 'a few decades I suppose.'

Evee says 'I hardly keep count anymore.'

Evee says 'I must say you've joined at a good time.'

Amarea says 'I better first see to the orientation class. There is a lot that I really don't know about.'

Evee says 'There's lots of activity in the Tower recently. Many Sisters are returning from extended vacations.'

Amarea says 'Oh, excellent!'

Amarea says 'Truth be told, I didn't actually know I could channel before today. But Keshara Sedai explained that I actually might have been doing it without realizing it.'

Amarea says 'Apparently, it's really dangerous to learn that way, on your own. She said it's good I came here, still.'

Evee nods in agreement.

Evee says 'Wilders are not so uncommon.'

Evee says 'you'll find many outside the Tower despite the dangers.'

Amarea nods thoughtfully.

Evee says 'i'm going to go read a book. Don't hesitate to interrupt with any questions you might have if you see me.'

Amarea says 'Thank you for your time. If you need help hunting, I could do that for a while. I have so much more experience to gain in this world, I'm sure.'

Amarea says 'But if it's alright by you, first I need to attend this orientation class, then take a look at some of the gear here.'

Evee nods in agreement.

Amarea curtseys before Evee.

Evee waves.

Evee sits down and rests.

Evaine

Re: The Beginning of a New Journey

Post by Evaine » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:04 am

Keshara: 1 qp
Amarea: 2 qp

Please pickup your offline QPs.