White Book Biography - Faoleha

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Amilesa

White Book Biography - Faoleha

Post by Amilesa » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:12 pm

Summary: The sixth biography in her White Book series. Amilesa pauses the interview part-way through to explain to Novice Faoleha what facing your fears meant and the expectations of being Accepted of the White Tower. Growing up in the Arafelan countryside has instilled certain values and experiences, and she is working hard to become accustomed to her new life in the Tower. She has several hobbies that she is leveraging to become comfortable in her new home, including horseback riding and and cooking. She is feeling homseick, missing her family, and is coming to terms with what that means in regards to her journey through the White Tower.

Point of View: Amilesa
Participants: Amilesa and Faoleha

---------------------------
In the Well
This open-roofed building used to house the initiates of the Tower consists
of nine levels, but only three of them are currently in use. A number of
small, windowless rooms open up to a gallery which surrounds a courtyard,
there is ample fresh air. A fountain with a small garden sits at the bottom
of this well, the sound of falling waters echoing among the towering walls.
[ obvious exits: E W ]
A young girl in a plain white dress stands here.
A young girl in a plain white dress stands here.
Kennira, Caretaker of Novices tends to the boarding of her young charges.

Amilesa smiles at Faoleha.

Amilesa looks about her at all the hustle and bustle of the Well.

Amilesa says 'Here, come with me, we'll go somewhere a little more private.'

Faoleha nods in agreement.

Faoleha starts following Amilesa.

The chamber door swings open.

The Mistress of Novices' Study
This is a compact, dark-paneled room full of plain sturdy furnishings that
have been used by generations of women who have held this office. The desk
near the center of the room is plainly made and heavily worn through years
of use. A large mirror with flaking gilt hangs from one of the walls. Used
for switching disobedient initiates, as well as Aes Sedai who do penance, a
bench-like contraption that has a padded leather cushion to kneel on, as
well as a padded leather area to lean on. A selection of switches, ranging
from a slender willow switch to a slipper lie on a table nearby.
[ obvious exits: E ] [ E: woodendoor ]
A large desk made of fine, thick wood stands across the room from here.
A frog is here, croaking happily.
Sheriam the Mistress of Novices studies you with a stern expression.
Faoleha has arrived from the east.

Amilesa curtseys before Sheriam the Mistress of Novices.

Faoleha curtseys before Sheriam the Mistress of Novices.

Faoleha pats a croaking frog on his head.

Amilesa watches Sheriam look up and nod briefly before returning to what she was reading.

Amilesa walks past the croaking frog without giving it note, ushers the Novice to a quiet corner of the Study.

Amilesa says 'It is nice have the chance to get to know you better, Novice Faoleha.'

Faoleha says 'I haven't had a chance to talk with many of the journy accepteds, most seem to be a bit on the busy side, and always out of town.'

Amilesa says 'To start off, this is fairly informal, though I will be writing it down in my White Book for posterity's sake. ooc: I will post it.'

Faoleha signals with a thumbs up.

Amilesa smiles warmly, placing a reassuring hand briefly on the Novice's shoulder.

Amilesa says 'On that note, feel free to reach out. Accepted should be happy to spend time with you.'

Amilesa places a glass jar of individually-wrapped hard candies within reach.

Faoleha eyes the candy jar.

Amilesa says 'Help yourself, if you are inclined.'

Faoleha says 'ah, I'm good. I just had some sweet bread earlier when I stocked the warder's rack with bread.'

Faoleha continues to glance toward the candy jar.

Amilesa says 'Now, when answering these questions, please say whatever comes to mind. Answering the question in a way that makes sense to you is best.'

Amilesa gets a large white-bound book and opens it up in front of her to a page near the beginning.

Amilesa says 'Let us start with the basics. Where were you born and where did you grow up?'

Amilesa prepares a quill for writing while maintaining focus on the Novice.

Faoleha says 'I was born in Arafel, and raised there. My father owns a farm a bit west and south of the Silverwall keep.'

Faoleha says 'I grew up there, and helped a lot with the horses and somewhat with the fields.'

Sheriam the Mistress of Novices says 'A horse, child?'

Sheriam the Mistress of Novices gives a slip of folded paper to Faoleha.

Sheriam the Mistress of Novices says 'Give this to the stablehand, then, and be off with you.'

Faoleha nods at Sheriam the Mistress of Novices.

Faoleha says 'uh, thanks.'

Faoleha looks at Amilesa.

Faoleha says 'My brother is an archer at the Silverwall keep. He sends me letters occasionally when exciting things happen up there.'

Faoleha says 'one of the first things I plan on doing if I pass the accepted test is to go visit my home and my brother if he's on shift.'

Amilesa smiles warmly at Faoleha.
Amilesa emote: Amilesa smiles warmly at Faoleha.

Faoleha says 'it has been a while since I've been here, and I do miss my family.'

Amilesa says 'I understand that sentiment, my family is quite large as well.'

Amilesa says 'But to be committed to your path to the Shawl means that we have to leave our past behind. You will understand when you face your fears, I am sure.'

Faoleha says 'face my fears? what do you mean?'

Faoleha has a questioning look on her face.

Amilesa nods slowly at the Novice, setting her book aside for a moment.

Amilesa says 'A Novice becomes Accepted by being put through the Arches. Your studies have covered that, at least.'

Faoleha says 'I have heard that, yes.'

Faoleha says 'I've heard the arches are a big ceremony thing with some aes sedai, but not much more than that. '

Amilesa says 'Because the Arches test is so individual, and so formative in our progression, you won't find many details.'

Faoleha says 'so, it's an actual test? not like the test to see if I could touch the source when I joined the tower?'

Faoleha thinks hard.

Amilesa says 'The Arches will put you through a series of...tests that you must pass. Each one unique to you. To pass, you must face and overcome your fears, freeing you from the things holding you back.'

Amilesa nods in agreement, her necklaces clinking softly on her neck.

Faoleha looks at you intently.

Faoleha says 'so, like walking through a room filled with spiders?'

Faoleha shivers uncomfortably.

Amilesa says 'Both were tests you had to pass, yet the first was passive and the latter active.'

Amilesa shrugs her shoulders up in the air.

Amilesa says 'Each walk through the Arches is different, and we do not speak of what we encountered. It is each woman's journey.'

Faoleha thinks hard.

Amilesa says 'You will be put through the Arches when you are ready. When you pass the test, you will be Accepted of the White Tower.'

Faoleha says 'so then...what are the arches?'

Faoleha says 'I had thought that was one of the cityfolk tradition things that the tower has, similar to the honorifcs and traditions... it seems i was mistaken on that.'

Amilesa says 'The Arches are ter'angreal whose purpose is specifically for testing, and as I see it forming, Accepted.'

Faoleha nods.

Amilesa says 'But if the end result is testing your worthiness and imparting lessons that you take further into your training, I don't see much difference if it were a Ter'angrel doing it or a Sister channeling the Source.'

Amilesa says 'Now, let's talk briefly about what happens after the Arches. What it means to be Accepted.'

Faoleha listens intently.

Amilesa says 'By being sent to the Arches test, you'll have already proved you can control your ability to Channel, and you know the basics of what it means to be in the White Tower. These are the things you are learning now.'

Amilesa says 'Passing the Arches test indicates you are personally ready to commit yourself and your studies towarads becoming Aes Sedai, and the values and activities that come with.'

Amilesa says 'You will not be found ready if you can not put your past behind you.'

Amilesa places a hand on Faoleha's shoulder once more.

Faoleha nods.

Amilesa says 'That doesn't mean you have to stop loving your family. But think of how you can help them with the feats that Aes Sedai do in the world every day? Helping the world can be a greater benefit to your family than if you were with them.'

Faoleha says 'I knew my life would be forever changed by coming to the tower, I thought I was prepared for that part.'

Amilesa removes her hand from the Novice's shoulder.

Faoleha says 'well, more of to stop in every now again. make sure they are doing all right.'

Faoleha says 'but to face my fears.... Its definately going to involve spiders. I think I need some time to prepare myself for that.'

Amilesa 's eyes twinkle briefly.

Amilesa says 'Have you ventured into the Novice caves on the eastern part of the island?'

Faoleha says 'oh, the big ones that are slow enough that I can smack aren' too bad'

Faoleha draws a wickedly scythed longsword from a sword sheath with a flash of steel.
Faoleha wields a wickedly scythed longsword in a two-handed grip.

Faoleha sheathes a wickedly scythed longsword into a sword sheath.

Faoleha says 'it's the little buggers, the ones that drop from a tree and hide in your hair'

Faoleha says 'and run down you face when you aren't expecting it!'

Amilesa chuckles softly before retrieving her notebook once more.

Faoleha says 'I absolutely loathe those ones'

Faoleha says 'though... on more than one occasion, I've found a novice dress inside those caves...'

Faoleha says 'made me a bit worried, like maybe there's something else to it.'

Faoleha says 'though there are some old boxes with weird locks on them down there.'

Faoleha says 'but, the abandoned dress with no novice in it worried me so I didn't spend too much time down there'

Amilesa says 'I had fun puzzling out that cave when I was a Novice. I recommend it, if you are so inclined.'

Amilesa holds up a reassuring hand.

Amilesa says 'Don't worry, when I found a dress in the cave, they were spider-free.'

Amilesa says 'Back to the biography, what else can you tell me about your family? Or a brief history of your younger years?'

Faoleha says 'hrm.... My father owns the farm, has been in our family for generations. We have a couple of farm hands and my younger brother mostly working the farm and the animals. Most of the crops are wheat and some hops and other stuff for bread and beer.'

Faoleha thinks hard.

Amilesa softly writes several lines in her notebook as the Novice recounts her past.

Faoleha says 'My older brother is an Archer for the Silverwall keep. It was a bit of commotion in the family when the first born didn't want to carry on the family legacy with the farm, but that was years ago, and it looks like he has a good future with the Arafel military, he will definately become an officer at some point! I know he will.'

Faoleha says 'That said, my younger brother is a strong farmhand, and does very well with the horses. He has no qualms with the life on a farm.'

Sheriam the Mistress of Novices says 'Give this to the stablehand, then, and be off with you.'

Amilesa looks over from the corner she is sitting in.

Faoleha gives a slip of folded paper to Sheriam the Mistress of Novices.

Faoleha says 'I am good, thank you Sheriam Sedai.'

Amilesa nods at Faoleha.

Faoleha says 'anyway, once my father starts getting too old to swing a scythe, my little brother should be mature enough to start handling the paperwork side of things.'

Faoleha says 'making sure that those sneaky bastards from kandori don't accidently mark the 3 wagons full of wheat as two, short changing us'

Faoleha mutters to herself in complete disgust.

Amilesa smiles knowingly.

Faoleha says 'anyhow, I helped out a fair bit with the cooking. Ma taught me all there is to know about bread and the baking of it.'

Amilesa absently licks her lips.

Faoleha says 'the oven that Laras watches over is definately the best I've ever worked with.'

Faoleha says 'the door opens without getting stuck or needing to be oiled constantly, and you can put enough dough in there to make a dozen loaves at a time!'

Faoleha says 'well, all this reminiscing is starting to make me miss them even more right now... do you have any other questions?'

Amilesa says 'That is a good lead-on to my next question, in how you got from there to here. How did you join the Tower?'

Sheriam the Mistress of Novices nods at Amilesa.

Sheriam the Mistress of Novices says 'If you are young lady with the spark you may seek out an Aes Sedai, the Aes Sedai will take care of you right away.'

Faoleha says 'well, being up north near the mountains that border the blight, there are some beasties that come by..and over the last couple of years has gotten a lot worse -- the military folks really have a full time job dealing with them.'

Faoleha says 'usually it's the bears contaminated with blight, or some of the deer with a similar ailment, but some of the misshapen mouth monsters have shown up too -- I think they were called a maw or something.'

Amilesa listens stoically to the listing of blighted monsters.

Faoleha says 'and a couple of seasons ago, a fist of trollocs hit us and some of the neighboring farms. usually the patrols are pretty good about catching them, or lighting the signal on the keep.'

Faoleha says 'but this time, they somehow managed to get that far without being seen.'

Amilesa purses her lips in concern.

Faoleha says 'usually, when the signal goes up, Mother and I and some of the older folks hide in the cellar while everybody gets on alert'

Faoleha says 'But that day, we were in the field, and there wasn't a signal that we could see -- just yelling and the sounds of combat, and merchant wagons taking off so fast some of them dropped goods off the sides'

Faoleha says 'as Mother and I were unhooking the horses -- we were going to leave the wagon, a trolloc came at us.'

Faoleha says 'ah, no thank you, Sheriam Sedai.'

Faoleha says 'anyhow, Out of desperation and instinct, I somehow channeled a spike of ice and threw it at the beast.'

Faoleha says 'I missed, but then a woman who looked to be my Mom's age created some much larger spikes, and impaled the thing with them, and then jumped over the wagon and did so to a few others.'

Amilesa's lips turn up slightly.

Faoleha says 'she about single handledly took care of all of the trollocs that weren't grappled by the guards.'

Faoleha says 'afterwards, she came by us and insisted that I seek out the white tower in Tar Valon.'

Amilesa nods in agreement.

Faoleha says 'I discussed it with my family, and once winter was over and spring's sun cleared the snow from the roads, I headed down.'

Faoleha says 'I have no idea who she was, but she did some amazing things.'

Amilesa nods at Faoleha.

Faoleha says 'It's been quite an experience here, there are more people in the quiet areas near the docks than there are in the entire market at home!'

Amilesa says 'It is a hub of all manners.'

Amilesa says 'Was there anything of note in your travel to Tar Valon? What about when you arrived? Do you remember who inducted you into the White Tower?'

Faoleha says 'it was my first time heading this far south, so there was a lot to note, though probably mundane to most of you.'

Faoleha says 'it was a quiet trip on the horse my father gave me.'

Faoleha says 'and the stables are taking good care of him!'

Amilesa nods at her.

Faoleha says 'it's hard to go wrong following the road, and the signposts. It's a well traveled route and easy to travel on,'

Amilesa says 'That is good to hear. A benefit of being one of the world's commerce hubs, to be certain.'

Faoleha says 'I've heard the route is harder than it used to nowadays though,'

Faoleha says 'apparently the seanchan set up a camp east of the Silverwall keep, and then the dark took it over, and now there's a patrol near the river to protect the dark ones from enroaching west toward us.'

Faoleha says 'and the road goes almost right by them.'

Faoleha says 'at least, that's what my brother has written to me about.'

Amilesa purses her lips, and finally nods.

Amilesa says 'Is there anything of note in regards to your induction?'

Faoleha thinks hard.

Faoleha says 'everybody that I've met has been very nice, and very helpful.'

Amilesa nods.

Faoleha says 'Tolza Sedai especially, she let me sit in on some of the class preperation that Accepted Verne is putting together.'

Faoleha says 'it's amazing how much effort and planning is done for each of the classes that are taught!'

Amilesa smiles and says 'That sounds like some good practical obervation.'

Faoleha says 'She also was the first to give me a task that I couldn't accomplish without use of the one power.'

Faoleha says 'much more practical than washing dishes, sweeping leaves, and shelving books! It was nice to use some of what I've learned here.'

Amilesa says 'What was the task, if you care to tell me?'

Faoleha says 'The task was to spend some time with the gatekeep on the east side of town -- one that doesn't have a readilly accessible ladder to get into.'

Amilesa says 'So...either Travel there, or enlist quite of bit of aid from an Aes Sedai with Gate.'

Faoleha says 'well, the task was to do it myself, so the former.'

Amilesa smiles and nods.

Faoleha says 'which also meant using the one power to find him first!'

Amilesa says 'Do you remember who inducted you into the Novice Book with Sheriam Sedai?'

Amilesa looks off into the room at Sheriam writing at her desk.

Faoleha says 'give me a second to think on it, I'm pretty sure I remember.'

Faoleha says 'I think callesa'

Amilesa writes down Callesa's name in her notebook.

Faoleha says 'yes, I'm pretty sure it was Callesa Sedai'

Amilesa says 'During your time in the Tower, is there anyone you are close to? Any friends you have made?'

Faoleha says 'there have been a few novices that I've spent some time with, it's been a little while though.'

Faoleha thinks hard.

Faoleha says 'sorry, I'm terrible with names, let me think...'

Amilesa says 'Only if you feel close to them. I am just seeing what relationships you might have within the Tower.'

Faoleha says 'there is one in particular'

Faoleha says 'ah, I can see here face in mind right infront of me,'

Amilesa quickly glances behind her.

Faoleha says 'Sarenna'

whois sarenna
Sarenna of Andor is a level 38 White Tower human.
She's five-and-a-half feet tall, and
slightly plump, with reddish-brown hair
and brown eyes. Her skin is lightly
tanned, and there is a smattering of
freckles across her nose. Her full
lips are often curved in a smile.

Amilesa says 'I know you are a Novice and still learning your place in the Tower, but do you have inclinations towards any specific Ajah right now?'

Faoleha says 'hrm.. I have put some thought towards it.'

Faoleha says 'though I've gone about it the opposite way.'

Faoleha says 'I'm not too fond of bookwork, I much prefer to be outdoors. I'm not sure that the brown would be a great fit.'

Faoleha says 'The white ajah seems to theorize about the world, and a lot of that goes beyond my understanding. I'm not sure I would be up to par for what they are trying to accomplish'

Faoleha says 'the yellow and green ajahs and their missions are most straight forward to me.'

Faoleha says 'I would love nothing more than to push them back into the blight and they stay there forever,'

Amilesa says 'That makes sense, considering what you told me earlier.'

Faoleha says 'and It would be great if the wildlife, the elk, the bears, the deer... could be saved from the blight instead of culled.'

Faoleha says 'I am also not too fond of paperwork and agreements, so I would shy away from the grey ajah.'

Faoleha says 'I am uncertain for the Red and Blue. I would prefer to fight the dark more directly, though on the other hand, I would like to travel some.'

Faoleha says 'and their missions are interesting.'

Amilesa says 'it is important to focus on the things that resonate with you personally and your abilities. So it is fine to have preferences based off of what you believe the Ajah's focus and activities are.'

Amilesa glances down at her notebook.

Amilesa says 'My next question is...do you have any particular saying or gesture (emote) that you often use or like?'

Faoleha says 'you cityfolk have saying!?'

Faoleha thinks hard.

Amilesa looks at Faoleha questioningly.

Faoleha says 'I usually wear the bells my ma gave me, and they jingle around a lot with most things that involve bodily movement.'

Faoleha says 'I haven't worn them around too much, I've been told it's better to blend in in the city than stick out, but I do plan to wear them more often.'

Amilesa says 'That is quite unique. I don't think I have heard them in the halls.'

Amilesa says 'There is a tent or something out the north-east side of the island with some bells in it as well. I haven't put them on before, though.'

Amilesa says 'How do you typically spend your time, and what do you enjoy doing?'

Faoleha says 'I love the outdoors, and horses. I enjoy keeping the garden outside of the library weed-free.'

Faoleha says 'though what I typically spend my time doing... is a lot of the chores around the tower.'

Amilesa shares a knowing look with the Novice.

Faoleha says 'oh, and I spend a good bit of time near Laras baking bread!'

Amilesa says 'Do you have any goals you are working towards or current projects?'

Faoleha says 'she usually catches me if I try to sneak out without washing the dishes I used to make the bread though'

Faoleha thinks hard.

Faoleha says 'Not currently, I usually ask most Sedai that I see if they have anything that I can help with.'

Faoleha says 'Penzei Sedai gave me a task earlier, and I intend to get started on that!'

Amilesa says 'Have you had any Tower experience or stories that come to mind that you would like to share?'

Faoleha says 'hrm....'

Faoleha says 'I have not really, other than attending some of the classes, a few interviews like this one, and some general chatting and advise that I've been given from many folks.'

Amilesa nods her head.

Faoleha says 'I don't think there is anything above and beyond what is expected of a novice to be worth noting.'

Amilesa says 'Is there anything else would you like to tell me that hasn't been covered yet?'

Faoleha thinks hard.

Faoleha says 'I don't think so. The classes are fun, and I enjoy attending those, and asking questions that come up.'

Amilesa smiles warmly at the Novice.

Amilesa says 'And lastly, are there any questions that you would like to ask me?'

Amilesa closes her book and leans back in the chair.

Faoleha says 'I appreciate the information on the arches! is there any other advise you could have for a novice looking to become accepted?'

Amilesa says 'Generally speaking, use your time to get to know other initiates of the Tower, make sure you know the laws, tradition, and layout of the White Tower. And lastly, start thinking about your place in the White Tower and how you can help out an contribute.'

Amilesa says 'You've mentioned several hobbies and skills that you enjoy, you might see how those could be used to benefit others. Some loafs of bread to those who are hungry certainly come to mind.'

Faoleha says 'Yes, stocking the rack on the warder training grounds has been one of the tasks that I enjoy most.'

Amilesa says 'When you feel you are ready and have the necessary pre-requisites, you can reach out to an Aes Sedai you see and ask if she would be willing to interview you for advancement.'

Faoleha nods.

Amilesa says 'I mentioned earlier, don't be shy in uyour interactions with Accepted or fellow Novices. If you see one about, ask if they want to join you in what you are doing, if appropriate.'

Amilesa says 'Any other questions for me?'

Faoleha says 'Sure. I've told you a fair bit about myself, though I know very little about you and your background. How was your life before joining the tower?'

Amilesa says 'At a risk of doubling the time this interview takes...'

Faoleha grins at Amilesa.

Amilesa says 'I grew up in the Two Rivers, in a large farming family near the Two Rivers. The farm work was mainly handled by my many brothers, so I found myself helping out at an Inn in Emond's Field quite often. Initially waiting tables, but eventually found myself managing their paperwork.'

Faoleha comforts Amilesa.

Amilesa chuckles at the Novice's reaction.

Faoleha says 'I, too, once had to help with the paperwork on the farm. I can see why you would run away and join the tower after that...'

Amilesa says 'Accounts and paperwork makes sense to me. I can build a picture of what is going on around me, fitting the pieces together with how things operate.'

Amilesa says 'It is satisfying to me to be able to spend focused time on those things, and have a better understanding of the world afterwards. Albeit my small corner of the world.'

Faoleha says 'don't get me wrong - I understand the importance of it, but going through the paperwork and working the abacus and making sure everything adds up... ugh.'

Amilesa chuckles once more.

Amilesa rises from her chair slowly, still facing the Novice, and says 'It was a pleasure getting to know you better. Please don't hesitate to say hi or ask me for help or guidance if you see me about. Even when you where the banded dress.'

Faoleha says 'likewise! I enjoyed getting to know you!'

Amilesa gets a large smile on her face before reaching for the door.

Faoleha says 'well, I think it's about time I get back to some of my other duties. It's 4pm, and Laras will be mad if I don't have some bread ready in time for dinner.'

Amilesa says 'Thank you for letting us use your office, Sheriam Sedai.'

Faoleha curtseys before Sheriam the Mistress of Novices.

Amilesa curtseys before Sheriam the Mistress of Novices.

Chloro

Re: White Book Biography - Faoleha

Post by Chloro » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:12 pm

Rplizer +1 qps : 1
Extra meticulous edit +1 qps : 1
Length bonus +1-2 qps : 1
Summary: +1 qps : 1

Awards:

Amilesa 6 qps
Faoleha 4 qps