In the Bookbinder's Office

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Callesa

In the Bookbinder's Office

Post by Callesa » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:53 pm

Callesa Sedai summons Accepted Vianca to discuss a book damaged in the battle and ways to protect paper from damage in less paper friendly conditions.

Main participants: Callesa, Vianca

(a note: I love RPing in other places than just square and Ajah Study, and hope to bring the new mob for semotes nextime! We have so many beautiful rooms with great mobs for the atmosphere! But yeah, I kept checking for ds in zone)

Bookbinder's Office
The space in front of the large bookbinder's desk is cluttered with an
assortment of packed book carts. The books, all damaged or stained in some
fashion, await repair or transcription at the skilled hands of the
bookbinding staff. Despite the disarray, some triage has been done, as the
books most in need of repair have been moved to the head of the queue. An
archway to the west leads to a workshop, while heading south allows one to
return to perusing the stacks of the great library of Tar Valon.
[ obvious exits: N S ]
A young woman is here thinking to herself.

Vianca has arrived from the north.

Vianca curtseys before you.

Callesa nods in agreement.

Callesa says 'Good, child. You are here.'

Vianca says 'Hello, Callesa Sedai'

Callesa says 'I've noticed you've been reading less recently, as you've been very busy in the north.'

An Accepted leaves north.

Callesa says 'The librarians have been reporting a change, you seem to not really consult many books on
other than battle related issues anymore. What have you read the most recently?'

Vianca says 'Yes, I have not sat down to read in a little while, I'm sure there are a few books to
be shelved as well, I'll take care of when we are done.'

Callesa peers closely at Vianca, trying to figure her out.

Vianca says 'Most of my literature does consist of battle related topics, most recently. I would
have to say. The most recent was a book on different Angreals.'

Callesa arches an eyebrow.

Callesa says 'I'd also recommend to not pass on the opportunity to read more on history, diplomacy, and
logic. But that is not why we are here in particular today.'

Callesa takes a damaged book from a nearby cart.

Callesa says 'It seems like this book was last borrowed by you. And obviously carried to battle or other
adventures.'

Vianca says 'It would be wise of me to read all of these books at some point, I've been trying to
put some lesson plans together and I think if would help me alot to teach a class of another topic
other than combat.'

Callesa shows you a book with scratched and dirty cover, pages damaged by water, and even
a few smaller blood stains.

Callesa says 'Can you tell me what happened to this copy of "The Aiel Wars" by Helene Sedai?'

Callesa says 'I would be otherwise pleased by you picking this book, there is more than just battle
strategies covered there. But what has the book been through?'

Vianca looks down at the book and nods, 'I do remember now, I had the book in my pouch the other day
and it ended up being discarded with some of my belonging after falling to some of the Dark ones
army's.

Vianca says 'I was able to locate it, discarded likely by those beast along with some other scraps
of my belonging.'

Callesa nods slowly

Callesa says 'Well, trollocs aren't notorious for being voracious readers.'

Callesa smiles briefly.

Vianca says 'I hope its not past repair, I never got a chance too really look it over.'

Vianca says 'No, luckily they are not.'

Callesa says 'We are lucky the copy found its way back, and even more lucky it is a book we actually have
more copies of.'

Vianca lets out a small laugh.

Callesa ponders life, the universe, and everything.

Callesa says 'You will surely carry paper to battle in the future too. Books, letters, notes.'

Callesa says 'How do you plan to protect them from damage?'

Callesa puts the carelessly damaged book back to the cart.

Vianca thinks quickly, eyes squinting slightly.

Vianca says 'Perhaps I should store them at the Inn before going directly into battle. At least that
way they will be safe from the heat of the blight.'

Callesa arches an eyebrow.

Vianca says 'That heat can take a toll on the glue binding the book.'

You say 'And if battle finds you before you can reach an inn? Or if your mission requires you to
carry the paper based object with you through the hardship?'

A novice has arrived from the north.

Callesa says 'Yes, the glue is one issue. But what I see more commonly on paper is water, as the main
source of damage. Or blood, mud, and similar water based problems. How would you protect your books
or letters?'

A novice leaves south.

Vianca says 'Depending on where I am, locating a small cache, somewhere dry to stash them in could
be an option as well.'

Callesa smiles amusedly.

Callesa says 'Well, let's accept that, for the sake of the idea exploration. How do you protect your
cache then?'

Callesa peers closely at Vianca, trying to figure her out.

Vianca says 'Casting a force of spirit and air could ward the object to the ground, I am unsure if
that makes it water or blood proof though.'

Callesa says 'Very good, an excellent answer, that is surely an option. '

Callesa says 'But there is also something else.'

Callesa says 'Something not requiring the One Power, and what can also reasonably well protect paper and
other objects carried by you.'

Vianca says 'Perhaps my backpack or a thick saddlebag.'

Vianca looks slight up to the left in thought.

Callesa says 'An average backpack is unfortunately not waterproof.'

Callesa says 'Have you heard of oilskin, Vianca?'

Callesa says 'Oilskin bags are wonderful tools, they protect the object inside from water, but also from
being Located.'

Callesa says 'You should acquire one, given how often you get yourself to situations, where blood and mud
are raining.'

Vianca says 'I have seen one carried by a Forrester actually not too long ago, and not that you
mention it I do remember seeing the water beading off of it as he emerged from the stedding.'

Callesa nods at Vianca.

Vianca says 'How available are they, able for purchase or do they need to be acquired in a different
manner?'

Callesa says 'We've talked with the head librarian. And we've decided to restrict your use of the Library
to consultations within the Library for now. To regain your right to borrow books and carry them
with you, you need to show any librarian an oilskin bag, and send me a message.'

Callesa smiles at the question.

Callesa says 'That is for you to discover, child.'

Callesa says 'Your right to carry books away from here depends on it.'

Vianca nods with a proud smile. 'Yes, Aes Sedai.'

Vianca says 'I will do so at once, this privilege is to great to loose.'

Callesa says 'Unless you have any questions, I'll leave you to it, and your other duties. '

An Accepted has arrived from the north.

Vianca says 'No questions for now, I will be on my way Callesa Sedai.'

Vianca curtseys before you.

Vianca leaves north.

Chloro

Re: In the Bookbinder's Office

Post by Chloro » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:05 pm

Rplizer +1 qps : 1
Extra meticulous edit +1 qps : 0
Length bonus +1-2 qps : 0
Summary: +1 qps : 1

Awards:

Callesa 5 qps
Vianca 3qps

Callesa

Re: In the Bookbinder's Office

Post by Callesa » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:51 pm

Thank you Sister. But I think you may have missed the extra meticulous edit, Sister. Leaving the room's description is intentional and important for the situation, not lack of meticulousness. Or if there were any other lackings in the edit, please let me know, so that I can do better next time.