Debrief Following an Attack by a Dreadlord and Allies

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Aleera

Debrief Following an Attack by a Dreadlord and Allies

Post by Aleera » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:06 pm

Tower Square
This side of the square is the southern section of the Tower Square. In the center is the walled off White Tower. To the south a large
boulevard opens up leading to the Southharbor. To the north you see the southern gate of the Tower grounds. The square continues east
and west. A large banner rests here, depicting a map of Tar Valon.
Zone: Tar Valon

Sarinda has arrived from the north.

Sarinda smiles warmly.

Aleera curtseys.

Sarinda says 'Good evening, Accepted.'

Aleera says 'Good evening, Sarinda Sedai.'

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, I wished to speak with you to debrief about our hunting last night.'

Aleera closes her eyes and lets out a small breath before nodding, "Yes, I would appreciate that."

Sarinda beckons Aleera to follow her.

Sarinda leads the way into the White Tower.

Den of the Red Ajah
This room reflects the cool nature of the Red Ajah, the furnishings just as severe as the rest of the room. A gilded chair rests near the center of the room, accompanied by an equally elaborate dark wooden desk. Chairs have been drawn up to the tall, arched windows, which look over the western side of Tar Valon, the western bank of the Erinin and Dragonmount beyond, serving as a constant reminder of the purpose of the Red Ajah.

Aleera senses Sarinda connecting to the True Source.

Sarinda gestures and the door slams shut from an unseen force.

Sarinda sits down on a stout oaken chair.

Aleera curtseys to the other Aes Sedai present in the Den.

Sarinda motions to the other oaken chair. 'Take a seat, if it pleases the Light.'

Aleera settles down, as indicated, offering a polite, "Thank you, Sarinda Sedai."

Sarinda says 'First, Aleera, tell me a brief summary of your perspective of the encounter with Shadowspawn - When you first encountered them, whether you were seeking them or not, and how you fared in those encounters, for example.'

Aleera nods. "Of course," she begins, "I was not seeking them. I was following up on a request from the White Ajah, to find a Puzzle Master, who it turns out is located within the inner portion of Camelyn. It was as I entered there that I passed by a shadowspawn. I quickly went back through that room to confirm they had not moved on and then tried to move some place I thought might be safe to raise an alarm. No alarm had been raised yet."

Sarinda nods in agreement.

Sarinda says 'I know this man of whom you speak, yes.'

Aleera continues, "But I was not thinking clearly. I have no real skill at tracking, and so was not thinking about that, but I ducked into the inner portion of Caemlyn, a dead end, not commonly traveled, and so easily found. I could ... no, should have gone to the palace if I was bent on going that direction. The Prince is often surrounded by guards."

Aleera says 'Even better, I should have fled out of the city across commonly trod ground and then, and only then, raised the alarm.'

Aleera says 'The result was a shadowspawn finding me, a brief attempt to engage before a dreadlord arrived. I then tried to flee a few times, but was not successful and was then quickly brought low.'

Sarinda comforts Aleera.

Sarinda says 'This was the dreadlord known as Jestin?'

Aleera nods, "Yes, that one, that is correct, Sarinda Sedai."

Sarinda's ageless face is the model of Aes Sedai calm, but her hands grip her chair a little more tightly, and her eyebrows slightly narrow.

Sarinda says 'Jestin is a very dangerous man, Aleera. Highly skilled, and very quick to exploit any potential weakness he encounters.'

Aleera says 'When I was able to recover I quickly regeared back here before returning. I did not know that Accepted Vianca had recovered my equipment and tucked it away yet. I then arrived in Caemlyn and helped provide healing at the Center Square, assisting others in recovering and re-entering the fray more quickly. I believe that was probably my only truly correct move of the evening.'

Sarinda smiles warmly.

Aleera nods, "His weaves with fire were devastating, and his ally had bashed me down."

Sarinda nods sadly, softly sighing.

Sarinda says 'It is worth noting that at several times during the night, Jestin and the myrddraal known as Scrat, sometimes joined by another Trolloc or two, were able to not only survive but also claim the lives of multiple humans even though they were heavily outnumbered.'

Aleera reluctantly says, "They seemed quite organized, with good tactics, and good skill. Certainly far more than I."

Sarinda says 'You fell to the Shadow and were left for nearly dead again, correct?'

Aleera nods, "Yes, I made a few mistakes on the way to that point. Accepted Vianca had let me know she recovered my equipment and so I did go to get that. I should have then returned the backup set here, to the Tower. But I carried it. It weighed me down and so now I would be risking two sets of
equipment, and not just one." She assesses, "Foolish."

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, tell me what happened next.'

Aleera says 'I did decide to follow after those who had chased the shadowspawn, intent on trying to join them. But, I did not well know the lay of the land and never successfully followed that group, for safety in numbers and better tactics. Instead, I was alone. The dreadlord found me again. I didn't try to fight. I was alone. I fled. Rather, I tried. He trailed after me, successfully bringing me down once more. Gaidin Dornel recovered my gear.'

Aleera says 'Wazoh thought he had recovered my gear and gave it all to me, but it was actually Eldrenia Sedai's gear. This time I made sure to return the one set back to the Novice and Accepted's quarters and delivered Eldrenia
Sedai's to a safe location within the Yellow Ajah wing.'

Aleera admits, "It was a terribly fast-moving blur."

Sarinda chuckles dryly.

Sarinda says 'Such is the way of things, here. Combat is by its very nature messy, and often so fast -paced that it can dizzy you.'

Sarinda says 'Where specifically did you encounter Jestin again, where you did not know the land well?'

Aleera shares, "The forest to the west of Tar Valon. I did not well know some of the names of landmarks there. I believe I encountered him just south of the fencegate and he chased me northward, where I believe others were."

Sarinda says 'Yes, that is referred to as 'cut', because it is a shortcut that bypasses the city of Tar Valon and connects Shienar to the north with the forests around Tar Valon and Andor to the south.'

Aleera says, "There are not too many turns in there, but I had never been there before, especially how to move across that most northern portion."

Sarinda says 'That shortcut is particularly narrow, with most rooms only having two exits, making it quite 'chokey' if you will.'

Aleera nods, "It was quite difficult to flee in there, when needed."

Sarinda says 'Prior to this encounter, Aleera, had you ever encountered Shadowspawn of such renown? (Darkside players)'

Aleera shakes her head and says, "This was the first time."

Sarinda smiles warmly.

Aleera ohs, "Also, I did not shift my mood, completing some of my self-reflection, and I should have."

Aleera purses her lips and notes, "I remained a little too ... optimistic (brave)."

Sarinda chuckles politely.

Sarinda says 'Aleera, you know by virtue of the First Oath that I cannot speak a word that is not true. So, please believe me when I share that you likely were more brave than I was when I first encountered Shadowspawn like this, and my outcome was no better.'

Sarinda says 'Though I am well versed in combat now, and can find calm in most scenarios such as this, it is only due to falling in combat so many times that I have lost count, and choosing to pick myself up and to learn from the situation, as you are trying well to do so now.'

Aleera nods, expression quite serious, "Thank you. I tried to reflect in the few minutes after each incident on what I might have done different, in hopes that next time, I would remember and _do_ something different."

Sarinda says 'Excellent. If it pleases the Light, tell me some of the things that you believe you did well, other than dispensing Healing and support in Caemlyn.'

Sarinda says 'It should go without saying that those efforts are commendable, and you did well by the White Tower to provide such aid.'

Aleera answers, "I did manage to get one or two flame strikes off between blows against the myrddraal in my first exchange, before I realized that there was a dreadlord and a trolloc closing on me as well. My staff was not of great use. Later, I do believe trying to seek out others was the right
decision. I am not so capable as to be effective on my own, but I could have provided support with others."

Aleera says, "I also was able to communicate locations of the shadowspawn on a couple of occasions, assisting our allies in tracking down the foe."

Sarinda nods decisively.

Sarinda says 'Yes, and that was my first comment I was going to share. You alerted me as soon as you could, and I was able to raise the alarm and gather a group of allies to repel the Shadowspawn in Andor.'

Sarinda says 'What else?'

Aleera says, "Well, I suppose reflecting on my mistakes is something I am doing at least partly well."

Aleera says, "I did not lose my temper and seek revenge or any other sort of foolish behavior."

Aleera emote: Aleera says, "I did not lose my temper and seek revenge or any other sort of foolish behavior."

Sarinda says 'Have you developed the practice of taking in your immediate surroundings and committing your experiences and travels to memory yet? (OOC: Auto-logging in your game client)'

Aleera admits, "There was other foolish behavior, as I described, but not that." She then nods, "Yes, that has become the norm for me, Sarinda Sedai."

Aleera says, "It helps to later reflect. In the moment, assessment is more difficult, but when there is time to think back, those memory practices are helpful."

Sarinda says 'Aleera, I have to say, I am quite pleased with you regarding this situation.'

Sarinda chuckles politely.

Aleera 's cheeks color slightly.

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, I have some suggestions for how to actively learn from this situation, and ways to improve.'

Sarinda says 'However, some of them you have already commented upon, which pleases me for your level of knowledge about this world and your current station.'

Aleera nods, "Please. And if permitted, I had a couple of practical questions I was hoping for advice on."

Aleera settles in, quiet and attentive, for suggestions toward her improvement.

Sarinda says 'One of the most important things I wish to impress upon you is that your attitude is spot on: to the degree that you are able to calmly reflect on the situation and grow from it, you will find that near-death experiences like this are simply going to make you a more capable woman and channeler over time. A healthy attitude about combat, and realistic expectations of your performance and ability to fairly evaluate your performance afterwards, is crucial if you want to improve in combat skills.'

Sarinda says 'I fell in combat repeatedly, again and again, as an Accepted, especially once I had started my apprenticeship with the Red Ajah. The Borderlands in particular are a crucible for developing combat-trained individuals.'

Sarinda says 'The second thing that is critical to meaningful efforts to repel the Shadowpawn is communication, and channelers have access to a great deal of information that can completely turn the tide of battles.'

Sarinda says 'Chiefly among such sources of information is our ability to Locate foes and give updates on the estimated numbers of Shadowspawn and there general location, and to narrate this to other allies.'

Aleera nods as she listens.

Sarinda says 'If you some day are so fortunate as to earn the shawl of an Aes Sedai and swear on the Oath Rod, you will also be taught the skill of sensing Shadowspawn in your immediate vicinity, which is extremely useful for confirming whether any Shadowspawn - with the important exception of Gray Men - are nearby.'

Aleera admits, "I did not know such was possible and I am, unfortunately, not terribly aware of the sorts of equipment they often carry, which I might use to help Locate them."

Sarinda says 'You will note in reviewing your journal (log) of the event that I routinely was narrating 'zone', 'zone here', 'gone zone', and so on. This was me communicating whether I sensed them in our immediate area or not. This was especially helpful once Dornel Gaidin took over leadership of our group, as he is not currently bonded and thus lacks the ability to sense Shadowspawn.'

Someone knocks on the carveddoor from the other side.

Aleera nods, "Thank you for sharing that. Some of the communications I understood across the evening, but not all of them."

Sarinda clambers to her feet.

Sarinda gestures with her hand.

A series of locks turn, and the door smoothly swings open.

Sarinda glances at the door and calls, 'Release the One Power and enter.'

Mavrik has arrived from the east.

Mavrik bows deeply.

Sarinda touches her hand to her forehead, lips, and heart in greeting.

Mavrik gives a red fringed shawl to Sarinda.

Sarinda thanks Mavrik heartily.

Mavrik says 'Special delivery.'

Sarinda puts a red fringed shawl in a belt pack.

Mavrik bows deeply.

Sarinda flashes a wolfish grin.

Mavrik leaves east.

The carveddoor closes quietly.

Sarinda gestures and the door creaks and closes slowly.

Sarinda sits down on a stout oaken chair.

Sarinda says 'Think about it for a moment. Can you think of any equipment or pieces of clothing that every single person might wear or carry?'

Aleera says 'I had thought perhaps rings might be useful, as individuals with different combat tactics would wear different styles.'

Sarinda nods decisively.

Sarinda says 'Yes, excellent.'

Sarinda says 'That is one of the items I routinely Locate myself. It often reveals not only the approximate numbers of opponents, but also can inform what kind of other gear they might wear.'

Sarinda says 'People who wear heavy armor that absorbs damage may often wear gold and ivy rings or silver rings, whereas those in equipment intended to dodge blows might frequently wear gold rings or emerald rings, for example.'

Sarinda says 'Any other items you can think of?'

Aleera shares, "Trinkets in general, wrist cuffs and necklaces would also have some universality. Boots perhaps might be common, but differently typed, while the chest armor is so varied."

The daily ripple of the Pattern occurred here…

Sarinda says 'I believe you were just saying that certain trinkets, cuffs and necklaces in particular, might be good options for Locate Object.'

Sarinda says 'Those are all fairly popular, although rings are my preferred choice. There is some variability in trinkets and what categories they will respond to.'

Aleera nods, "Yes. It seems I need to be able to think of something with shared or common names, yes, precisely."

Sarinda says 'One of the most common types of items that you have not yet mentioned is a dagger. Virtually all people carry one into combat, primarily to sever the heads or scalps of their fallen enemies. It is...admittedly barbaric, but effective for both humans and Trollocs alike.'

Aleera nods and says, "I have searched outward for such, in testing the weave, and found myself overwhelmed by the number of humans carrying them. It made me question how useful it might be."

Aleera says, "However, I suppose if there were trollocs near, with them, that would then stand out." She frowns at herself.

Sarinda says 'I make it a habit to always search for two things, as long as I have the time and am being proactive in searching, typically daggers and rings.'

Sarinda says 'You can also usually tell if someone is a rogue or not, depending on which type of dagger you find.'

Sarinda says 'If you know of a specific opponent who has been around recently, you can also Locate them by name, which removes any ambiguity.'

Sarinda says 'However, if that enemy has moved away from other Shadowspawn, it will not give you information about the others' whereabouts.'

Sarinda says 'In general, if you wish to aid the combat but do not yet feel ready or have the time to actively join the fray, a good practice at your current station is to seek the nearest defended city, narrate your location and that you are available to provide Healing and support, and then periodically Locate enemies and narrate their location relative to yours.'

Aleera nods to that. She offers, "Jade, red stone, basilard, and triple blade are a few I have heard rogues discuss." She nods about seeking out a specific individual as well with the life locating weave.

Sarinda nods at Aleera.

Sarinda says 'And the blackened steel kris.'

Sarinda says 'Those daggers have enough inherent value that most people will not carry them unless they intend to wield and use them.'

Sarinda says 'Now, numbers of Trollocs may be inflated if they are carrying equipment from fallen humans.'

Sarinda says 'Most beings will wear two rings, but if they have gear from someone else, they will have two additional rings, and it could look like there are in fact two Trollocs rather than one.'

Aleera nods about the kris and the potential for over-counting, committing that to memory as well. She shares, "At times, our battles against the shadowspawn skirt the border of where I may and may not travel. I do want to learn, but I need to wait for opportunities where, unfortunately, they have chosen to raid deeper into our lands, placing more of our people at risk."

Sarinda says 'If you seek practice and wish to genuinely offer aid, the most helpful place for you to orient yourself is Fal Dara.'

Sarinda says 'You are permitted to enter the keep, although only coming and going by Traveling, or through the Dog Gate on the west side of the city.'

Sarinda says 'Know that when you are there, there is always a chance that Shadowspawn may enter the city. The keep is well-defended, and people in that city are often prepared for combat or even seeking it out. But it can also become a death trap if Shadowspawn overwhelm the gate defenses.'

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, I recommend that you learn some of the places in each major city nearby where you can go to offer aid, and think about a plan of where you would go and how you would respond if Shadowspawn attacked you, similar to the assignment I gave you for this city.'

Aleera says 'I imagine the proximity to the Blight encourages them and permits more ready rallying of their own forces.'

Sarinda says 'Indeed.'

Sarinda says 'Now, there is one last important feedback I wanted to offer you, starting with a personal anecdote to illustrate a point.'

Sarinda says 'Not long ago, perhaps two weeks ago, I was hunting Shadowspawn including the same dreadlord Jestin in the Borderlands north and west of Fal Dara.'

Aleera nods, her hands folded neatly in her lap.

Sarinda says 'I became critically injured in the fight, and retreated to the relative safety of the city, where I knew Aelrena was standing at the Malkier Gate at the northern entrance to the city prepared to offer Healing, as she had narrated such.'

Sarinda says 'I ran into the city, and while she was about to Heal me, Jestin followed into the city and attacked. The guards tried to attack him, but I was so gravely wounded that a single Flame Strike was able to finish me off.'

Sarinda says 'Jestin knows that keep like the back of his hand, as he does Caemlyn and Whitebridge and other major cities, and he is comfortable running around inside while eluding guards. He has even been known to raid into Tar Valon.'

Sarinda pauses for effect, letting this sink in.

Aleera says, "I had heard of a recent raid. I did not know it was him."

Sarinda says 'The reason I bring up this point is that by retreating to the most popular room in the city, and one of the most easily accessible entry points, I was courting death.'

Sarinda says 'Jestin can chase faster than most people can run by anticipating the most likely place someone would run.'

Sarinda says 'Many Fades and master Trollocs are practiced at this as well, and some of them even have the ability to follow tracks at a glance like a hunter would.'

Sarinda says 'In Caemlyn, this means that running to the throne room is not always safe, especially if you are outnumbered.'

Aleera cautiously suggests, "So, making less common choices may be beneficial at times to throw off the enemy's predictions."

Sarinda says 'Instead, it helps to learn more about what kinds of rooms are easier to escape from, and learning how to move around while your body naturally recovers or reinforcements arrive.'

Sarinda says 'Yes, precisely.'

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, if you have time, I would like to take us to Caemlyn and review some options for where to hide in the city when you are trapped there.'

Aleera nods agreeably, "Yes, certainly."

Sarinda says 'Alternatively, if you need to retire soon, we could review some options here in Tar Valon to illustrate a few points.'

Aleera says, "I can travel to Caemlyn."

Sarinda says 'You can travel, or Travel?'

Sarinda emphasizes the second word with a hint of a smile.

Aleera says, "Both," after a moment.

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, I will ride by horseback, as I lack the requisite strength in Earth to form the Travel weave.'

Sarinda says 'If you wish to join me on horseback, meet me in the Tower Square.'

The door smoothly swings open.

Aleera says, "But I had meant on horse. I will meet you there, Sarinda Sedai."

The two meet up down below and then begin the journey southwards.

Sarinda says 'There is fighting with Shadowspawn in a skirmish to the north right now'

Sarinda says 'So the likelihood of encountering Trollocs in Andor is limited, although never zero.'

Along the way, they encountered a patrol of Andoran soldiers.

Sarinda says 'This patrol here is a good place to seek aid, if you need it and prefer to be out of the city.'

Aleera nods, marking the location in mind.

Sarinda says 'This room has three exits, which means your chances of failing to flee when you attempt it is much smaller, although the north exit can be dangerous.'

Sarinda says 'If you get a west flee, you can run north here, either trying to make it towards Tar Valon or to this smaller area around the road.'

Sarinda Sedai continued to show some alternatives and likely paths to quickly extricate oneself from a desperate situation before leading the way further.

Ine one area, Sarinda observed:
Sarinda says 'In a room like this with north, east, and south exits, one thing you can do is to flee and immediately move east.'

And yet elsewhere:

Sarinda says 'This is considered a 'safe' flee movement choice because if you flee north or south, you will successfully go east after it, making you 2 rooms removed from your foes.'

Sarinda says 'If you flee east, you will have wasted a fraction of a moment, but you have a two -thirds chance of moving two rooms rather than one, and no chance of accidentally fleeing back into the room from which you just left.'

Sarinda says 'Rooms like this, with three exits and a safe option for double-lining fleeing, are excellent to sit and recuperate.'

The road south, however, continued to beckon until another point of interest was reached.

Sarinda says 'Rooms like this one are a little less effective, due to the increased risk of failing. However you can safely move either north or west upon exiting it.'

Sarinda says 'So this little area is good for hiding off the road, trying to avoid danger.'

Aleera nods and says, "I follow."

Sarinda says 'Another thing I strongly recommend you consider is to set a mnemonic device (alias) for immediately, reflexively 'get all corpse' with a single character.'

Sarinda says 'If a rogue backstabs a friend while you are traveling, there is a small bit of lag during which they will not be able to move or take action'

Sarinda says 'If you can very quickly grab the fallen friend's equipment, you can then work on escaping.'

On the road again, their path eventually leading them to the heart of the city.

Sarinda says 'This room on the center of the Skywalk over the inner city is also a good location to hide temporarily.'

Sarinda says 'You can 'watch' in this room for enemies, and you can safely double-line flee down from here if they enter your room.'

Sarinda begins watching the surrounding areas.

Aleera begins watching the surrounding areas.

Sarinda panics, and attempts to flee!
Sarinda leaves south riding a warhorse.

Aleera see a Humanoid approach Inside the Southern Gate of Caemlyn from the west.

Aleera see a human approach Inside the Western Gate of Caemlyn from the east, riding a warhorse.

Aleera see a human leave Inside the Western Gate of Caemlyn to the north, riding a warhorse.

Sarinda has arrived from the north, riding a warhorse.

Sarinda says 'Did you see that?'

Aleera says 'I did, yes.'

Sarinda says 'Now, this room is possible to hide in'

Sarinda says 'If you know that there have not been any dreadlords sighted recently, another thing you can do in some places that you personally are skilled at - Weaving the Winds, or Cloud Dancing - is to call a lightning storm.'

Aleera senses Sarinda is channeling saidar.

Lightning starts to show in the sky.

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, why might this be a good idea?'

Aleera says, "I have heard that trollocs will often vacate if they see lightning, knowing that many channelers can call the lightning down in such circumstances. And, frankly, that lightning is among the most damaging weaves we can call upon."

Sarinda says 'Yes, both are precisely true.'

Sarinda smiles warmly.

Sarinda says 'Depending on the local climate and season, it may be easier or harder to form lightning or keep it active.'

Aleera says, "I do not know the weave, but I wondered if something like Contagion might, in a very individual manner ... discourage an attacker, especially those who cannot channel."

Sarinda says 'Yes and no. Contagion can be woven while engaged in combat, and if you successfully weave it, they will be crippled in combat.'

Sarinda leads Aleera elsewhere in the city, for additional instruction.

Sarinda says 'However, it takes longer to weave than to bash you, and so an enemy could beat you to the punch.'

Aleera nods, admitting, "A decided weakness."

Sarinda says 'Now, this is a room where people commonly gather for Healing and support.'

Sarinda says 'If you are outnumbered, what is a potential risk of being in this room?'

Aleera shares, "There is only one real way out of this space."

Sarinda says 'Try to head north from here by fleeing only.'

Aleera looks about, "While there are others here, the support is minimal."

Aleera flees, northward as it turns out.

Sarinda says 'A lucky movement. Try again.'

Aleera laughs and nods.

On multiple other attempts, it is quickly demonstrated that the other (no-ride) rooms create a significant issue.

Aleera notes, "Some places are indoors, preventing a flee, while on horseback altogether."

Sarinda says 'In fact, the west, south, and east exits are all indoor exits.'

Sarinda says 'As a result, if you are going to congregate in this room, I suggest you dismount.'

Sarinda says 'Dismounting is also wise because it will make you considerably harder to bash (i.e., raises DB).'

Sarinda says 'It does result in you losing your horse, but there are other places you could hide in this city without one.'

Sarinda says 'The other benefit of dismounting is that although the west, south, and east exits are all 1-room exits, you also know exactly where you will flee once successful, so you could double-line flee north out of the room, bypassing anyone standing here in the central square trying to hit you.'

Aleera nods at the tactics of that.

Sarinda says 'Here in the outer city, sometimes the smartest tactic to stay alive is simply to move around the city on horseback, following the outer ring, stopping periodically to conserve movement energy.'

Sarinda Sedai proceeded to lead elsewhere in the city.

Sarinda says 'Stopping in a room like this, for example, where you have three exits'

Sarinda says 'If a rogue is about, you will want to keep Notice on, and be constantly looking into the room for them, or 'diagnose h.dark' to see if there is a hidden Shadowspawn in your room.'

Sarinda says 'Diagnosing them with a glance will confirm the name of anyone in your room, and although it does not engage them in combat - which would prevent you being stabbed - it does not cost you energy to do it excessively.'

The tour throughout the city continues…

Sarinda says 'If you are here in the Outer City, you can run to the Inner City, as you did.'

And within said, Inner City…

Sarinda says 'Do you use a map?'

Aleera says 'I do.'

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, without going into the palace or back into the Inner City, bring us to a room that you think might be a good place to sit from where you could easily escape.'

After a little bit of consideration, Aleera leads the way to a location within the Inner City.

Aleera says 'From here, I could flee, then immediately go south again.'

Sarinda smiles warmly.

Sarinda says 'Excellent, yes.'

Sarinda says 'If you get a west flee, note that that area is much more chokey, with several exits into indoor rooms, all of which have closable doors.'

Sarinda says 'For that reason, I often wait one room south of here instead, and double-line east'

Aleera nods.

Sarinda leads on to just outside the palace…

Sarinda says 'The palace itself is made of quite narrow hallways.'

Sarinda says 'The throne room is obviously extremely well-defended'

Sarinda says 'But there is a risk of being attacked there by a dreadlord who can Earthquake.'

And eventually, they come back to the central square.

Lupin has arrived from the north, riding a warhorse.

Lupin bows deeply.

Sarinda touches her hand to her forehead, lips, and heart in greeting.

Sarinda looks at Lupin.

Lupin says 'hello there!'

Sarinda says 'Well met, traveler.'

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, do you require any assistance while you are here?'

Lupin says 'Currently just waiting for my stave to be repaired. Not sure of anything specific otherwise :)'

Sarinda smiles warmly.

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, Aleera, do you have any questions about Caemlyn or movement around here before we return to the White Tower?'

Aleera shakes her head, "No, you were very clear and gave good examples. Thank you, Sarinda Sedai."

They make the long journey back northwards to Tar Valon, going to the stables and Curil’s Fine Armor.

Sarinda says 'One thing you may want to invest in, if you intentionally go seeking out combat, is a warhorse and basic horse equipment.'

Aleera pats the neck of her horse, tuckered out as he was.

Sarinda says 'A warhorse, Domani razor, or Tairen bloodstock are the best breeds for combat due to their energy and endurance.'

Sarinda says 'It costs about one gold crown or 22 coppers to stable most horses.'

Sarinda says 'Cyril here also sells a high-cantled saddle and a bridle for a reasonable price, each of which helps with movement (raises max MVs).'

Eventually, the circle is completed, and they find themselves back in the Den of the Red Ajah.

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, you said you had some practical questions you wished to ask?'

Aleera shares with Sarinda, "I have been wondering at the trade offs of offense and defense and my weapon choice, is really the crux. My mood stance is of similar bent."

Sarinda says 'In general, as a channeler, you should almost always remain on the defensive (mood wimpy) to avoid being hit. It is imperative that you avoid as many hits as possible, as any kind of damage might interrupt your weaving and impede your efficiency.'

Aleera adds, "So, I found the other evening that my attempts with my staff were largely useless against Jestin for example. It made me consider changing my mood to be less aggressive (wimpy), to increase defenses against the others present, since the offensive ability was not seeing much use. That led
me to broadly think about my weapon selection as well."

Aleera nods at Sarinda's explanation.

Sarinda says 'Even if you were to go into a berserk rage, you will likely not be able to hit someone else using equipment intended to dodge.'

Sarinda says 'An exception would be if you were using a status weave such as Contagion, or a powerful weapon that can easily break one's defense (i.e., very high OB).'

Sarinda conjures forth an iridescent blue staff, forming it in her hands.

Sarinda assumes an offensive striking posture.

Aleera says, "I grew too accustomed to conflict with more common, aggressive creatures."

Sarinda says 'OOC: Even with offensive master postures and brave mood, and this staff with insane OB, my total OB is only 155 right now'

Sarinda says '167 berserk'

Sarinda then allowed the weave to dissipate.

Sarinda says 'Most hunter, warrior, or rogue types will have something like 180 or higher.'

Sarinda says 'Those with rare weapons and high strength can have around 200'

Aleera nods, "That helps me to frame relative capabilities."

Sarinda says 'Aloisa, another Red sister, put it very bluntly but memorably to me when I was an apprentice to the Ajah.'

Sarinda says 'The One Power is your weapon, Accepted. Everything else is simply a tool to allow you to weave it uninterrupted.'

Aleera can't help but smile and then nods, "I shall not forget."

Sarinda says 'There is a reason that Accepted go into the test for the shawl clad only in the Light.'

Aleera says 'Thank you, Sarinda Sedai.'

Sarinda says 'Now, if you try to fight a Trolloc with no equipment, you will lose very quickly as they will certainly strike you down with no defensive abilities.'

Sarinda says 'What other questions did you have? I have time for as many as you can think of now.'

Aleera says, "Those were the related questions I had, around offensive and defensive capabilities and how that might play out for me in a real conflict." She says, "I mean I have other questions, in a manner of speaking, but that is about my trying to talk through some of my purpose and perhaps future. That could stretch a bit."

Sarinda flashes a wolfish grin.

Sarinda says 'Then let us consider this part of the lesson done. Keep up the excellent work, child. You have a sharp mind and you are coming along very well. If it pleases the Light, I would be glad to hear your other questions.'

Aleera shares, "I have been nudged to be considering about a potential apprenticeship. I mean, I still have many tasks to work on for the different Ajahs as I more intimately learn about each, but some of the Aes Sedai have prompted me nonetheless. Some of that, in some ways, started as a Novice, I was asked about goals or aspirations."

Aleera says 'So, I have been giving it some thought. It is complicated.'

Aleera says, "I had been asked by Aelrena Sedai and I believe Nevirha Sedai may also have been present, about what I dreamt of doing." She looks down a touch embarrassed, "I told them the truth; of course. And that was that I didn't want girls to live in fear as I had just because of who they are. In the moment, I was speaking of the Children of the Light, but there are the Seanchan as well."

Sarinda's face darkens at the mention of Seanchan, and she nods curtly. 'Indeed.'

Sarinda says 'And what have you been considering so far, of the various Ajahs?'

Aleera says 'I readily admitted that I did not think I could just ... succeed at that. Not in my lifetime. But, that doesn't mean that it still might not be a worthwhile goal to strive for. If there is never an attempt, nothing can ever change. So ... how?'

Sarinda nods thoughtfully.

Aleera says 'Yes. I started to think that there are really multiple approaches that could help make progress. Understanding and knowledge of parties such as those, or others, would seem to be a key part of any eventual change, moderation, or ... anything, really. I don't think either will just be beaten into submission and that would then be the end of it, so it also made me think about the mediation ...'

Aleera cringes a little even as she says that, smooths her expression, then continues, "Negotiation, and other engagement that would likely be necessary for any lasting change."

Aleera taps her chest, over her heart, "And what will carry me through all of that? Since it would not be easy, that would be a sincere belief and passion in seeing all of this through. It is a life's work."

Sarinda says 'Amadicia in particular is steeped in a culture and history that has led to fear of the One Power and what it can do. Neither culture, nor fear, are easy to change for many.'

Aleera chuckles a bit to herself, and nods at that. "I know," her voice is tinged with sadness.

Sarinda comforts Aleera.

Aleera says, "I don't get to ask three Ajahs to apprentice me. It isn't how it works. I've outright argued that a choice like this is forced on purpose, because if ever I am to earn the right to wear a shawl, it will be just one of many significant choices I make in my life. I have to choose."

Sarinda gently interjects, 'Of course, you do not have to choose today.'

Sarinda says 'It is wise for you to begin thinking about your future within the White Tower. I sense a great potential in you, Accepted, and we Aes Sedai will foster that spark for the benefit of the White Tower and the world at large.'

Sarinda says 'But it is still your journey, and which path you walk to successfully reach that goal is your choice.'

Sarinda says 'Which Ajahs do you think would be the most capable at offering specialized training to prepare you for such a life goal?'

Sarinda says 'Knowing, of course, that it is the responsibility of all Ajahs to prepare you to wear the shawl one day, and that seeking out lessons will all of them is wise.'

Aleera says 'I appreciate your listening. My hope is that the act of speaking the words can assist my clarity of thought on the matter. As I've laid it out thus far, it has me considering Grey, Brown, and Blue. But, I am glad at what you say, because I see value in all.'

Sarinda says 'The Green and the Red seem the least aligned with your identified goals, perhaps, although those Ajahs' missions are not unrelated to yours.'

Sarinda says 'Have you met with a sister of the Yellow Ajah to see if you have the Talent for Healing? Doing so does not require you to join their Ajah - Aelrena of the Brown Ajah is a good example of that, and could discuss her choice further - but if you lack the Talent, it would preclude that option.'

Aleera nods, responding about the Green and Red Ajahs, "No, absolutely. There are threats, so many threats, to young channelers. The ability to defend them against those threats until they can defend themselves..." and she trails off.

Aleera says 'When asked recently what I thought a strength I had was, I answered that I think I am empathetic and a good listener. That individual, a new Novice I was working with, had suggested how the Yellow Ajah might fit with such.'

Sarinda nods solemnly.

Aleera gently wipes beneath one of her eyes as she shakes some emotion off. She smiles then though, a warm thing.

Sarinda comments gently, 'I can imagine after your experiences last night that you have perhaps even more understanding of the dangers that channelers face in this world, and how quickly those lives can be snuffed out.'

Sarinda says 'In fact, it was experiences with the Seanchan that was one of the defining moments in my life that led me to choose the Red Ajah.'

Aleera gathers herself, nods, and says, "Yes, you're very right. I plan to learn everything I can during this stage of my training." She offers, voice gentle, "I am very sorry for whatever that experience was." Voice still soft, and with a bit of reluctance, she shares, "One came to the Tower just recently."

Sarinda grows quiet for a moment, and she turns to look out the window towards Dragonmount in the distance.

Sarinda says 'I do not fear the memories, child, but they are not pleasant.'

Aleera nods, "Of course. I didn't meant to imply..."

Sarinda says 'When I was a young woman, I was apprenticed to become a Windfinder among my people, the Atha'an Miere. I was stationed on a raker owned by my mother as his Sailmistress, and my father his Cargomaster.'

Sarinda says 'We made berth in Tanchico for some trade one day, and while we were there, a Seanchan navy blockaded the harbor and assaulted the city.'

Sarinda looks at Aleera.

Aleera 's lips purse together tightly.

Sarinda says 'My father and I were separated from the ship, and we were assaulted by damane. I was able to escape with my life, but my father did not. The Light illumine his soul, and the waters take him peacefully.'

Sarinda sighs loudly.

Sarinda says 'Our ship was destroyed. My mother either died in the attack, or if she was captured, she would long have passed away from old age by now. This was many years ago.'

Sarinda cannot help but let a touch of bitterness into her tone. 'If it pleases the Light, I hope that my Windfinder did die, rather than being captured by the sul'dam.'

Sarinda says 'She was a channeler, like me, and training me in what she knew.'

Aleera nods and lowers her gaze respectfully for a short while.

Sarinda says 'There is a novice here who was once a sul'dam, and there are some members of the Tower were once damane. All novices leave their past lives behind them when they join us. As long as they can learn to safely wield the Power, and are not a danger to themselves or others, they will be
provided the chance to continue here until their full potential is met.'

Sarinda adds in a whisper like bared steel, 'And if they are a danger to others...That is the purview of the Red Ajah.'

Sarinda's ageless face is stoic.

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, the night draws late, and I must retire. Do you have anything else that you wish to discuss for now, Aleera?'

Aleera seems about to say something, nods, and is quiet for a moment. "When I first arrived here," she tells Sarinda Sedai, "I was frightened, of many things. I admitted that to you. Your words reassured me that individuals like yourself would help ensure that I was safe. That still comforts me. Thank you, Sarinda Sedai." She pauses, very purposefully, before adding, "Sincerely."

Sarinda smiles warmly.

Aleera rises up and curtseys deeply.

Sarinda says 'My people have a saying, child. 'The wave that has passed cannot be called back.''

Sarinda says 'We cannot change our past, but we can choose how we respond to it.'

Sarinda says 'May the Light illumine you, and see you safe to your journey's end.'

The door smoothly swings open.

Sarinda says 'You are free to go, Aleera. Take care.'

Aleera nods and then makes her way out of the Red Ajah's wing.

Ashlynn

Re: Debrief Following an Attack by a Dreadlord and Allies

Post by Ashlynn » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:36 am

Base: 2
Special length bonus: +1
Rplizer: +1
Extra meticulous edit: +1
Summary: +0

Total:
Aleera: 5 RPQPs
Sarinda: 3 RPQPs

Another excellent roleplay log! I enjoyed reading this one, as it offered many tips to channelers and PKers in general.