Spar and Debrief with Sarinda Sedai

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Aleera

Spar and Debrief with Sarinda Sedai

Post by Aleera » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:46 pm

Summary: Sarinda Sedai finds Aleera out in the nearby woods and suggests a very practical lesson of a brief spar. She then takes Aleera back to The White Tower to discuss and debrief over that.

Main Characters: Sarinda, Aleera

Sarinda finds Aleera in the woods immediately southeast of the city of Tar Valon.

Sarinda says 'Hello, child.'

Aleera curtseys, "Good day, Sarinda Sedai."

Sarinda says 'How goes the hunting tonight?'

Aleera shares, "It is more of a lazy stroll, I confess, but I came out here only for the air, to walk in it. Feel the breeze and smell of the trees."

Sarinda nods in agreement.

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, do you have time for another lesson?'

Aleera nods, "Of course. I always have time for that."

Sarinda beckons Aleera to follow her.

A short walk later…

At the Fallen Trees
Toppled logs cover the ground and leading to the east piles begin to form into large hulking hills filled. The dried wood shows the signs of age and odd cracks spread across the prone wood. Standing trees stab between the fallen logs showing their resilience.
[ obvious exits: N S W ]
Zone: Southeast Shores of Tar Valon
A fallen tree lies upon the ground, seemingly chopped down in haste.
A gray palfrey prances skittishly nearby, being ridden by you.
Lady Sarinda din Rovan is standing here, riding a warhorse.
A brawny lumberjack rests his hands on his axe here.
A chicken has arrived from the north.

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, it is near impossible to hide in this room, so it will be safer to speak here.'

Aleera nods, looking about with a new appreciation for the lumberjack and his clearing.

Sarinda says 'One of the ways that I gauge initiates' readiness for the shawl and their prowess in combat is through sparring. I find it highly instructional, and also a useful assessment.'

Sarinda says 'Once you pass through the Arches and gain Acceptance, you will find that there may be more enemies, and greater risk. And even if you do not seek out combat, you may find yourself in places where it occurs.'

Aleera nods, a heavy lump in her throat, "I am certain I could use much instruction in this."

Sarinda says 'So, I would like to spar you to get a baseline understanding of your current abilities, and then offer some very practical and constructive feedback.'

Sarinda says 'Before we begin, if it pleases the Light, tell me all of the weaves that you have studied with Sheriam, and the general degree of training you have in each.'

Aleera summarizes her training to this point in the White Tower.

Having almost forgotten, Aleera hastens to add that she is also practicing Locate Object, a weave, Sarinda Sedai had recently introduced her to.

Sarinda flashes a wolfish grin.

Sarinda says 'Excellent, I am glad that you are working on that one.'

Sarinda says 'You will find that your range with the weave increases as you study it more intricately.'

Sarinda says 'That blend of weaves is excellent in terms of balance of function. Some for Healing, some offensive, and others defensive. Sheriam must be pleased.'

Sarinda says 'I suggest the standard terms for this spar. The spar will end when the first of us becomes Beaten. After that, we regroup, and then we will rest by Coulin Gaidin to recover and debrief.'

Aleera says 'I've tried and she is very difficult to read.'

Sarinda smiles knowingly.

Sarinda then explains the basic structure and rules for the sparring.

Sarinda says 'Do you have any questions?'

Aleera shakes her head and says, "I am sure I will have more later."

Sarinda leaves south riding a warhorse.

The two move off in different directions.

Sarinda bellows 'I am ready when you are, child. Yell and let me know when you are done with your own preparations.'

The weaves you have maintained are:

1. Aleera tied LIGHT BALL
2. Aleera tied ARMOR

[embrace ]
Aleera feels the flows of saidar coursing through her body.

channel 'warding vs damage' Aleera
You begin to weave the appropriate flows...
-=+**+=- -=+**+=- -=+*

A carefully woven flow of Earth, Air, and Water forms an aura about your body!

Aleera bellows 'Ready.'

Sarinda bellows 'Go!'

After a too short time, they find themselves in the same space…

Sarinda tries to strike you, but you dodge the attack.

* R HP:Healthy SP:Strong MV:Full - Sarinda: Healthy >

Aleera senses Sarinda connecting to the True Source.

Aleera senses Sarinda is channeling saidar.

Aleera tries to slash Sarinda, but she parries successfully.

Aleera gasp in pain as streaks of fire from Sarinda burn your body!

* R HP:Scratched SP:Strong MV:Full - Sarinda: Healthy >
bli sarinda
Sarinda tries to strike you, but you parry successfully.
[channel 'blind']
Impossible! You can't concentrate enough!

* R HP:Scratched SP:Strong MV:Full - Sarinda: Healthy >

* R HP:Hurt SP:Strong MV:Full - Sarinda: Healthy >

Aleera swiftly dodge Sarinda's attempt to strike you.

fs sarinda

[channel 'flame strike']
Aleera begins to weave the appropriate flows...

Sarinda tries to strike you, but you deflect the blow.
-=+**+=

Streaks of fire flow from your hands, burning Sarinda.

* R HP:Hurt SP:Strong MV:Full - Sarinda: Scratched >

fs sarinda

Aleera tries to slash Sarinda, but she deflects the blow.

[channel 'flame strike']
-=+*
Ouch! You couldn't maintain the flows.

* R HP:Wounded SP:Strong MV:Full - Sarinda: Scratched >

fs sarinda

[channel 'flame strike']
-=+*
Sarinda fails to pull together whatever flows she was trying to weave.

*+=

Streaks of fire flow from your hands, burning Sarinda.

* R HP:Wounded SP:Strong MV:Full - Sarinda: Hurt >
bli sarinda

The night has begun.

* R HP:Wounded SP:Strong MV:Fresh - Sarinda: Hurt >
[channel 'blind']
Impossible! You can't concentrate enough! [Someone didn’t learn their lesson the first time.]

fs sarinda
[channel 'flame strike']
-=+*

fs sarinda
[channel 'flame strike']
-=+*

* R HP:Battered SP:Strong MV:Fresh - Sarinda: Hurt >

Aleera swiftly dodge Sarinda's attempt to strike you.

fs sarinda
[channel 'flame strike']
-=+*

fs sarinda
[channel 'flame strike']

Sarinda swiftly dodges your attempt to slash her.

Aleera panics and attempts to flee!
Aleera flees head over heels.

A Great White Oak
The massive trees of the forest rise in a steep crescendo to the tallest among them. Thick, pale bark climbs the side of this massive oak which easily overtops the wall surrounding the forest. The spreading branches only fall short of the White Tower on the skyline.

Sarinda has arrived from the south, riding a warhorse.

Sarinda beckons Aleera to follow her.

She proceeds to lead the way back to The White Tower.

The Warders' Practice Yard
A large expanse of bare ground at least fifty paces across and nearly twice as long stretches forth, its earth beaten hard. At intervals around it under the trees stand wooden stands holding quarterstaffs and practice swords made of strips of wood bound loosely together, and a few real swords and axes and spears. A large gray stone building lies to the east, home to the warder students and those warders who are not sharing quarters with their Aes Sedai in the main Tower structure itself.

Sarinda says 'Will you accept Healing, Aleera?'

Aleera nods her head, "Yes, I would, thank you, Sarinda Sedai."

Aleera senses Sarinda connecting to the True Source.

Dornel stops resting, and clambers on his feet.

Sarinda leans closer. Aleera feels a healing power flow from her hands.
Aleera feels better!

Sarinda says 'This will take some time, unfortunately. I have little Talent for Healing.'

Sarinda continues to heal Aleera untl she is healthy.

Sarinda sits down and rests.

Aleera sits down and rests her tired bones.

Sarinda gets a plate of roast beef and jacket potatoes from a belt pack.

Sarinda gives you a plate of roast beef and jacket potatoes.

Sarinda says 'There, child. You likely need a hearty meal after that.'

Aleera smiles appreciatively, "Thank you, yes."

Aleera eats the food.
Aleera is full.

Sarinda says 'How are you feeling, Aleera? '

Aleera says, "Physically, better. Also, a bit embarrassed. I learned something about the Blind weave that I did not know before."

Sarinda arches an eyebrow. 'That it cannot be woven in the heat of battle?'

Aleera nods, color rising across her cheeks and throat, "Yes."

Sarinda says 'Attempting to Blind me could be a smart tactic, except for a few nuances that may make it impractical in this type of situation.'

Sarinda says 'It certainly could make it harder for me to hunt you and harm you, although once we were engaged in combat, I could still blindly reach out and strike at you with Fire weaves.'

Sarinda says 'But worldly experience (OOC: level) plays a role in how successful some of these weaves are when used upon another human being, and you would likely find that the weave would not easily settle on me.'

Aleera nods as she takes that in. She asks, "In general, would something like blind have little impact on weaves, compared to say swings of a weapon?"

Sarinda says 'But I am pleased to hear that you learned something new already. The purpose of this sparring is instructional, after all.'

Sarinda ponders the question before replying. 'I think that is probably a fair assessment. Weaving can be done targeted on a specific person in the room, or thrown at whoever you are currently facing in the heat of battle. The latter works even if you are blinded.'

Sarinda says 'That being said, taking any attack at all will almost invariably cause the channeler to be interrupted and to lose control of their weaves, so Blind is a very potent weave for hunting down those who are not prepared for it.'

Sarinda puts a lantern in a belt pack.

Aleera asks Sarinda, "Sarinda Sedai, although I do not know the weaves, I am aware of other weaves that also affect the body without directly damaging it (status weaves). Is the inability to successfully pull those weaves together in battle a shared trait?"

Aleera nods about Blind, "It can serve as a useful initiator, if of comparable worldly experience."

The day has begun.

Sarinda says 'When hunting male channelers, I sometimes use Blind to make them easy targets if it seems that they are not mindful of where we are. Someone who can quickly escape the area even while blinded clearly has more battle experience than others.'

Sarinda says 'As a rule, no, child, some status weaves can be woven during the heat of combat. Chill, for example.'

Sarinda says 'In reviewing your performance in the spar, what do you think you did well'

Aleera gives a bob of her head, expression grave as Sarinda mentions hunting male channelers. She then says, "I see. I will need to better study those nuances. Even if I do not have skill with them, I should understand what could happen to me."

Sarinda nods decisively.

Sarinda says 'Remember what I said to you about Blademasters and their intimate knowledge of their weapons? The more precision and rote memory you have of the weaves you have studied, and their applications, the more tools you have at your disposal in any given moment.'

Aleera considers and expresses, "Well, not a lot. If I am being honest. I was able to dodge many of the physical blows. I suppose that went well, but likewise, my own staff was of little use."

Aleera says 'My own weaves were hit or miss, not nearly so well-timed as when facing a rabid bear or tree.'

Aleera confesses, "Sparring you made me far more nervous."

Sarinda smiles warmly.

Sarinda says 'It is natural at your level of training, child.'

Sarinda says 'Normally I do not spar or give these kinds of lessons to novices, but if it pleases the Light, I wanted to see what you were capable of right now, and more importantly, your thought process related to the combat.'

Sarinda says 'You did at least two things well that I admired. Do you know what they are?'

Aleera tries to think but is forced to shake her head in the negative, "I'm afraid not. I am one of my own worst critics."

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, you will learn in time to appreciate your strengths and gain sense of them. A keen sense of competency, of your ability to monitor your own growth, begins with self-awareness and a sense of what you are doing well and what you need to improve upon.'

Sarinda says 'First, although I found you fairly quickly once the fight began, you had already taken the time to use the Warding vs Damage weave. This is wise because it does in fact protect against weaves of the One Power, which requires me to use more weaves to bring you to Beaten.'

Sarinda says 'Secondly, you did not cancel your own weaves when trying to move quickly, and you in one case reacted very quickly right after my Flame Strike had landed on you, allowing you to land a Flame Strike of your own against me.'

Sarinda says 'I did not, in fact, walk away from that without injuries. And at the level of experience you have with sparring, that is very good.'

Sarinda says 'Now, what could you or should you have done differently to improve your performance?'

Aleera nods, "I appreciate your feedback. It is helpful. I am quick to find my faults, but will endeavor to look for strengths as well." She provides some analysis then, "Not try blinding an Aes Sedai ... more than once. Be a little more patient. I was over-eager at times to try to weave and mis-timing it as a result. Some of that will come with continued practice of timing the shorter weaves."

Sarinda says 'There was one thing in particular that you did that I would recommend you to change immediately in a battle. Can you think of what it might be?'

Aleera shares, "I could have tried to flee, to weave a ward again, but that would have also given you opportunity for preparations of your own." She considers the last question and then asks, "Change my overall stance (mood) towards the conflict?"

Sarinda smiles and replies, 'You were right with the first guess, child. Fleeing. Why do you think this might be important?'

Aleera offers, "It can break up the rhythm of a battle, which someone on the losing end certainly needs. It gives a chance to re-engage also. And if you had been of the dark, I could have sought out some of the ancient trees nearby."

Sarinda smiles warmly.

Sarinda says 'Aleera, I am pleased with your answers. You have good instincts.'

Sarinda says 'A duel between two channelers is ultimately a battle of tempo. Tempo gained, when someone presses the offense and cuts off their opponent before they can form their own flows. Tempo lost, when you must flee to reset the timing. But resetting is wise when you are repeatedly behind the tempo.'

Sarinda says 'If I move into your room and immediately attack you and start weaving before you can even form the flows, then I will score on that exchange and gain valuable tempo, setting me up to strike again, pushing you on the defensive.'

Aleera's expression betrays a little bit of relief. She nods as she listens, "The initiation of a conflict goes unanswered."

Sarinda says 'As a rule of thumb, if you have tried to out time me and failed after a few exchanges, perhaps three, consider fleeing and moving at least one room immediately, to get some distance between us. Then take a breath, turn back, and try to find me and begin weaving before I have time to respond.'

Sarinda says 'There are more nuances to the choices in a spar, but these are good foundations to discuss.'

Sarinda says 'What other questions do you have, if any?'

Aleera does ask one, "If you are able to be the initiator, how much of a gamble have you found it to be to try a longer weave? A shorter weave would be very difficult to interrupt, while a longer could be .. if someone were constantly vigilant as you advised me the other day. But the longer certainly would start a battle on a stronger footing, if successful."

Sarinda says 'Another excellent question.'

Sarinda grins, 'That is where the nuance comes into the spar. A duel between channelers is a...dance of sorts, with many choices that you must make on instinct in response to the pulse of the moment. But one primary reason to attempt a longer weave at least occasionally is because it is far more efficient in use of the Power, in energy spent, to use the longer weave.'

Aleera nods to that, "The first shorter battle weave I learned was Hammer of Air, but it is decidedly less efficient than Flame Strike. I understand there might be a time and place for it, but on the whole it is less effective."

Aleera feels the air, "Today would have been fine for Ice Spikes, and from my understanding Fireball. The temperature is moderate, not particularly hindering either weave."

Sarinda says 'Of course, training Fire weaves to the degree required to learn Flame Strike will distract from your studies in other elements, making it harder to master a broader range of weaves. So sometimes you are trading efficiency of one kind - damage per energy in saidar spent - for another type of efficiency: the number of weaves you can learn with the practice sessions you can afford.'

Sarinda says 'And yes, you are right about the weather. A smart observation.'

Sarinda stops resting, and clambers on her feet.

Aleera nods about the training focus required, "Yes, quite. There is too much to learn, making choices inevitable and important."

Sarinda says 'Not all girls are destined for the Red Ajah, child, but these lessons are valuable for all members of the White Tower, for all Aes Sedai. Continue to seek me out for lessons, and I will make sure you are not easy meat for a Shadowspawn.'

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, I believe Chloro will want to see you. She had reached out to me earlier to inquire about you. I suggest you seek her out.'

Sarinda says 'May the Light illumine you, and see you safe to your journey's end.'

Aleera says 'Thank you Sarinda Sedai, for your time today, and your offer for the future. I will seek out Chloro Sedai.'

Sarinda says 'Have a good evening.'

Sarinda leaves south riding a warhorse.

Ashlynn

Re: Spar and Debrief with Sarinda Sedai

Post by Ashlynn » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:39 am

Base: 2
Special length bonus: 0
Rplizer: +1
Extra meticulous edit: +1
Summary: +1

Total:
Aleera: 5 RPQPs
Sarinda: 3 RPQPs

You may say receive at a silver-haired Aes Sedai to receive your merits.