A practical lesson with Sarinda Sedai

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Aleera

A practical lesson with Sarinda Sedai

Post by Aleera » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:17 pm

Summary: Sarinda Sedai takes Aleera out for a practical lesson. She observes Aleera’s attempts to time short weaves in combat between blows of a weapon. Following the field observation, the two return to the Den of the Red Ajah for reflection and further lessons on weaves and life (literally) advice.

Main Characters: Sarinda, Aleera

Guest Star: Tolza

The Warders' Practice Yard
A large expanse of bare ground at least fifty paces across and nearly twice as long stretches forth, its earth beaten hard. At intervals around it under the trees stand wooden stands holding quarterstaffs and practice swords made of strips of wood bound loosely together, and a few real swords and axes and spears. A large gray stone building lies to the east, home to the warder students and those warders who are not sharing quarters with their Aes Sedai in the main Tower structure itself.

Aleera curtseys to Tolza Sedai.

Tolza gives you a faint smile as her eyes dart to her book.

Tolza looks at Aleera.

Tolza says 'How is my favorite novice tonight?'

Aleera responds, "You are most kind. I was thinking of going into the woods, both for a little air, and to assist the lumberjack there."

Aleera shares, "I have been working on weaving in short weaves, the timing of them."

Tolza nods in agreement.

Tolza says 'Very good'

Tolza says 'I think Sarinda Sedai was looking for you.'

Tolza says 'Tell her I told you.'

Aleera nods, "I will do so. Thank you, Tolza Sedai."

Sarinda has arrived from the south, riding a warhorse.

Sarinda greets Tolza with a light kiss on her cheek.

Tolza greets Sarinda with a light kiss on her cheek.

Tolza gives a young Tower Guard an order.
A young Tower Guard snaps to attention and salutes a young Tower Guard.

Sarinda smiles knowingly.

Sarinda gives a young Tower Guard an order.

Sarinda gives a young Tower Guard an order.

Sarinda looks at Aleera.

Aleera steps torwards Sarinda Sedai and curtseys. "Tolza Sedai had just told me that you had been looking for me."

Sarinda nods in agreement.

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, I had hoped to travel with you for a bit for a more...practical lesson.'

Tolza says 'May I provide safe travel for the two of you?'

Aleera gives a sharp nod, "Of course. I would welcome such."

Sarinda says 'I see little need to leave the island right now, sister, but thank you.'

Tolza nods in agreement.

Sarinda says 'Aleera, I will be back in just a moment.'

Sarinda leaves south riding a warhorse, returning shortly thereafter.

Sarinda says 'Aleera, if it pleases the Light, would you lead us to the southeastern woods outside of the city?'

Aleera leads the way out of the city and into the woods.

At the Fallen Trees
Toppled logs cover the ground and leading to the east piles begin to form into large hulking hills filled. The dried wood shows the signs of age and odd cracks spread across the prone wood. Standing trees stab between the fallen logs showing their resilience.
Zone: Southeast Shores of Tar Valon
A brawny lumberjack rests his hands on his axe here.

Aleera slows as they come in to the woods.

Sarinda says 'I would like to see how well you fight, child, and defend yourself against basic attacks.'

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, we can also discuss the timing of your weaving. I have heard from Vianca that you have been working on learning some faster weaves?'

Aleera answers, "Yes, I had been working on the Hammer of Air weave, but have most recently been working on Flame Strike. In both cases, to time them between blows."

Sarinda says 'And to what degree have you studied these weaves so far?'

Aleera says 'I am fairly competent, but not perfect.'

Aleera says 'Lumberjack, we would like to help gather wood for you.'

A brawny lumberjack says 'Off you go then.'

Aleera offers to Sarinda, "He's a good fellow."

Sarinda smirks.

Sarinda says 'A moment before we venture forth.'

Aleera senses Sarinda connecting to the True Source.

Aleera senses Sarinda is channeling saidar.

Aleera asks, after a thought strikes her, "Would you like for me to strengthen your limbs, Sarinda Sedai?"

Sarinda says 'Yes, if it pleases the Light.'

A warhorse swishes the flies off its back with its tail.

Aleera feels the flows of saidar coursing through her body.

Aleera binds flows of Fire and Spirit into Sarinda’s muscles.

Sarinda deftly channels threads of predominantly Earth with touches of Air and Spirit, letting them drift off into the air before releasing them.

Sarinda says 'This is the Locate Object weave, child. I can sense some Shadowspawn a little ways from the city. They usually will not bother us here, but if they do, quickly make to Coulin Gaidin.'

Sarinda says 'And it seems to be a roguish type, from the dagger it carries, so keep your eyes open for hidden forms.'

Aleera's head comes down in a sharp nod, "Yes, as you say. I will make my way swiftly there."

Aleera starts paying increased attention to her surroundings.

Sarinda says 'You are permitted to defend yourself on the island, of course, but at your level of training, I might suggest seeking safety as your first instinct until you are more prepared for combating danger.'

Sarinda says 'If the Shadowspawn comes closer, I will be able to sense it and give us warning.'

Sarinda says 'When you are ready, let's be about our business.'

Aleera says 'Yes, of course.'

Aleera proceeds to lead the way through the woods, watchful for evergreen trees in need of pruning for the lumberjack. They find themselves beset by a few sickly bears and some very unruly thornbushes at various points as well.

Following the first encounter with one of the pines, and a couple of successful channels of Flame Strike between blows, the two converse briefly.

Sarinda smiles warmly.

Sarinda says 'Very well done.'

Aleera says 'I am gradually improving, but working to make the timing be second nature. In a true fight for my life, undoubtedly, I imagine I would feel more duress and the reflex will be then welcome.'

Sarinda says 'Indeed.'

After pruning another pine, the two stop for a moment.

It starts to rain.

Lightning starts to show in the sky.

Sarinda smiles knowingly.

Aleera looks up to the sky and smiles at the flashes now present.

Sarinda says 'A deterrent if Trollocs want to attack us.'

Aleera nods, "Quite."

Following some work done on another pine and Aleera attempting to weave Call Lightning between pulses in combat…

The lightning stops.

Sarinda says 'Weaving the Winds to form storm clouds, and actually calling the lightning, both are slightly longer (10 pulses) than Flame Strike or Hammer of Air (9 pulses).'

Sarinda says 'So if you can time this weave reliably between rounds of combat, then the others should feel even easier.'

The lightning stops.

Aleera nods at Sarinda Sedai's instruction, "Yes .. it proves more difficult to time properly."

[channel 'change weather']
Aleera begins to weave the appropriate flows...
-=+**+=-

Sarinda blinks her dark brown eyes innocently.

The lightning stops.

[embrace ]

Sarinda studies you with a curious expression. 'Aleera, can you Weave the Winds? Channel to alter local weather patterns?'

Aleera nods after a moment and shares, "Yes, Sarinda Sedai. I managed it a few days ago, but I have been trying in earnest."

The rain stops.

Sarinda says 'I have only met a few here who have the Talent. You continue to surprise me, child.'

Aleera says, "It is ... fickle, complex." She looks up to the sky, "Even frustrating at times." She then softly ohs, "I didn't know."

Sarinda says 'Oh, it is possible that more have the capability but never try to learn the weave. But it seems to be a rarer Talent these days.'

Sarinda says 'We can continue when you are ready, child.'

Aleera takes that in. "I shall endeavor to nurture it then."

Sarinda says 'I led a class as part of my apprenticeship for the Red Ajah on the effects of weather on various systems and abilities.'

Aleera says 'That sounds quite interesting.'

Sarinda says 'A few in the Red thought that it leaned too far into the scope of the Browns.'

Sarinda says 'It looks like there are 5 left still.'

Conversation continues between some observations of how Aleera responds in a conflict, how she is able, or not, to weave shorter weaves between blows of her staff.

Aleera asks, "That is something I've wondered about. Certainly, I understand that the Brown Ajah each have their respective foci and interests and serve the Tower and world with the creation and preservation of knowledge. But, surely other Aes Sedai also share interests that might also be considered research, even if their hearts lie elsewhere."

Sarinda says 'I believe that research is important to understand our limits, so that we can know how and when to bend and break them, when necessary.'

Sarinda flashes a wolfish grin.

Sarinda nods at Aleera.

Sarinda says 'Blademasters study not just the sword forms necessary to strike and defend, but they also learn the intricacies of the weapons they carry, and know precisely how changes to weight, balance, and heft might influence their forms.'

Aleera nods in agreement.

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, it is the same with saidar, and even the natural world, for one such as me who is dedicated to hunting down those who would threaten the safety of this world.'

Sarinda says 'A moment.'

Aleera nods, taking that in.

Sarinda says 'I am neither sensing any Shadowspawn or Seanchan by the daggers they carry, nor the Deathwatch soldier known as General Mronz, by Locating them.'

Sarinda says 'Why do you think I keep mentioning this while we hunt, Aleera?'

Aleera asks, "Does that suggest they are quite far then? Or in a location such as the one you had showed
me?"

Aleera says 'With enemies that move swiftly, our context for danger and being prepared for it, must need expand beyond the immediate area?'

Sarinda says 'Likely, they are far, although some rooms do block weaves of the One Power. Or certain items, ter'angreal.'

The temperature is about 75 degrees.
The sky is lit by flashes of lightning, and a mild wind comes from the south.

Sarinda says 'There is a saying that I learned as a novice that was further ingrained as an Accepted, and has kept me alive more than almost any other advice I have received.'

Sarinda says 'Do you know what it is?'

Aleera shakes her head in the negative, but throws out a wild possibility, "Be prepared?"

Sarinda says 'Close.'

Sarinda bellows 'Constant vigilance!'

Sarinda nods decisively.

Aleera nods at that advice.

Sarinda says 'My advice to keeping alive is to always assume someone is trying to kill you, and that they may be just around the corner.'

Aleera presses her lips tightly together at that advice, "Advice for a dangerous world."

Sarinda says 'For example, this room is easy to hide in, and it takes a rogue about three seconds to neatly place a dagger in your back.'

Sarinda says 'Slightly longer for a dreadlord to use a weave that could make you an easy target.'

Aleera feels isolated from the Source!

Aleera 's eyes widen dramatically as she is shielded.

Sarinda says 'Now, imagine that I blinded you as well. Or Silenced you.'

Aleera confesses, "I would swiftly fall."

Aleera says 'If I did not flee.'

Sarinda says 'But most dreadlords or tainted men will simply weave Fire at you, to silence you while also claiming your equipment.'

Aleera feels your connection to the Source restored.

Sarinda embraces the Source and unties her shield on you, nodding grimly.

Aleera lets out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding in, a blessed relief passing over her face.

Sarinda says 'There are two more pines to be found. Let us find them while there is time.'

Aleera nods, "Yes. Of course."

Following hunting down the last of the pines …

Sarinda says 'Good, good.'

Sarinda says 'You were able to weave a few together consecutively that time.'

Aleera nods, "The practice is certainly helping, Sarinda Sedai."

Aleera says 'I believe that may have been the last of the pines.'

Sarinda says 'Once you wear the banded dress of an Accepted, I can show you some of the better hunting grounds southwest of here.'

Aleera says, "Should that day come, I would appreciate and welcome that."

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, I would like to meet with you briefly inside the Red Ajah quarters. Take us there, Aleera.'

Aleera nods in agreement and guides them quickly back out through the woods, the city of Tar Valon, and into the White Tower.

Den of the Red Ajah
This room reflects the cool nature of the Red Ajah, the furnishings just as
severe as the rest of the room. A gilded chair rests near the center of the
room, accompanied by an equally elaborate dark wooden desk. Chairs have
been drawn up to the tall, arched windows, which look over the western side
of Tar Valon, the western bank of the Erinin and Dragonmount beyond,
serving as a constant reminder of the purpose of the Red Ajah.

Sarinda gestures and the door creaks and closes slowly.

Sarinda sits down and rests on a stout oaken chair.

Sarinda says 'Take a seat, child.'

Aleera nods and steps over to a chair at the prompting, settling on to it.

Sarinda says 'I know that you have business to attend to, so I will make this brief. Tell me, what is one thing you learned tonight to help you protect yourself better from potential threats?'

Aleera says 'I saw the weave of location for objects. I have begun work on that, but seeing it in use certainly helps me to have a better sense of how to use it and form the weaves. But, I also saw something similar that I am not as familiar with. Or it felt similar.'

Sarinda says 'Oh?'

Sarinda says 'Do you perhaps mean the Locate Life weave?'

Aleera says, "Perhaps yes. You had noted how many of the pines were yet near."

Sarinda demonstrates the weave by deftly channeling four threads of Water, and two threads each of Earth, Air, and Spirit.

Sarinda says 'Once you form the flows, you must summon an image in your mind of what you seek. You must be precise in your visualization, or it will not work, or it will form the flows but reveal nothing.'

Sarinda stops resting, and clambers on her feet.

Sarinda fails to pull together whatever flows she was trying to weave.

Sarinda sits down and rests.

Aleera nods, listening and watching attentively. She admits, "I have not woven so many flows at once before. Accepted Lona was helping me with that particular point the other day."

Sarinda says 'So many threads, you mean? Weaving something that requires more strength in a certain element? That will come with practice.'

Aleera nods, correcting herself, "Yes, threads. I believe I saw ten."

Sarinda says 'Yes, precisely. Your sight for the One Power is growing, child.'

Sarinda says 'And how will a Locate weave help you stay alive?'

Aleera answers, "By helping inform me of the number and potentially nature of enemies who might be near." She hastens to add, "But only if I am clever in what I focus the weave on."

Sarinda stops resting, and clambers on her feet.

Sarinda says 'You are making fine progress, Aleera.'

Aleera says 'Thank you, Sarinda Sedai. I will continue to devote myself to my studies.'

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, the only thing I wanted to add tonight is that learning how to respond quickly and efficiently will be critical to reaching the shawl. Timing is very important.'

Aleera says 'I imagine that applies in all things, both with weaves and with words?'

Sarinda says 'There are times in the test for the shawl when you must be able to weave quickly and between blows of combat under duress, as you have been practicing.'

Aleera nods, taking that pragmatic note in.

Aleera says 'I will continue my work on such.'

Sarinda says 'And to prove yourself to the Green Ajah in particular, you will need to show at least basic combat competency, by securing the head of one of the Father of Storms' generals, a myrddraal or a dreadlord (player scalp). Although this can be done in a group, certainly.'

Aleera swallows heavily, but nods. "Of course, that makes sense."

Sarinda says 'I say these things now not to frighten you, or deter you, but to challenge you and make sure you are aware of the standards you strive to meet or exceed.'

Aleera straightens in her seat, facial expression smoothing, "Thank you. I take it in the spirit that it is given."

Sarinda says 'And if it pleases the Light, as you advance in your studies, I will continue to push you to grow in the areas where I see the weakest chinks in your armor. Not to make you bleed, but to make you strong.'

Aleera adds, "I shall endeavor to remain vigilant, to become stronger, and to be better prepared."

Sarinda raises her right hand to her lips. 'It is agreed, under the Light.'

Sarinda says 'Let it be so.'

Sarinda says 'You are dismissed, then, Aleera, unless you have further questions.'

Aleera closes her eyes for a moment. Opening them, she looks to Sarinda Sedai, "No, Sarinda Sedai. Thank you again for your time and your guidance this evening. I appreciate both."

Sarinda gestures with her hand.

The door smoothly swings open.

Sarinda says 'May the Light illumine you, and see you safe to your journey's end.'

Aleera curtseys before departing.

Ashlynn

Re: A practical lesson with Sarinda Sedai

Post by Ashlynn » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:50 am

Base: 2
Special length bonus: +1
Rplizer: +1
Extra meticulous edit: +1
Summary: +1

Total:
Aleera: 6 RPQPs
Sarinda: 4 RPQPs
Tolza: 1 RPQPs

A superlative log! You may say receive at a silver-haired Aes Sedai to receive your merits.