What have you learned since taking on the Novice white?

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Aleera

What have you learned since taking on the Novice white?

Post by Aleera » Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:16 pm

Summary: Aelrena calls on Aleera to summarize what lessons she has learned thus far as a novice. Aleera does her best to describe four types of lessons learned thus far: of tactics and defense, of the world, of the One Power, and of The White Tower.

Main Characters: Aelrena, Aleera

Study of the Brown Ajah
Tall, arched windows in the northern wall open to a balcony, providing a choice view of the Erinin as it flows south from the Borderlands. Half the seating in the room is drawn up around the windows, showing that the occupants appreciate the panorama. The remaining seats are drawn up in circles of six to eight, allowing Brown Sisters to discuss the furtherance of knowledge, or new theories in an informal atmosphere. Colorful wall hangings depicting still lifes decorate the pale white walls.

Aelrena is sitting here, perched upon the window sill.

Aelrena glances at the door and calls, 'You may enter.'

Aelrena says 'You certainly took your time, didn't you child? Were your studies so captivating? '

Aleera enters and curtseys, a frightful mess. The hem of her dress is decidedly dirty, scratches adorn her arms and face, and there may even be a stray twig still in her hair.

Aleera senses Aelrena connecting to the True Source.

Aelrena gestures at the door with her hand.

The door silently swings shut and lock with a soft *click*.

Aleera curtseys again, "I am terribly sorry Aelrena Sedai, I was in the woods when your pigeon came by."

Aelrena's lips twitch up slightly at the corners.

Aelrena says 'I suspected as much, when I had to send a pigeon and sensed you nearby using the One Power.'

Aelrena says 'Would you like a moment to go clean up? '

Aelrena looks the novice up and down, one eyebrow quirked slightly.

Aleera apologizes again, "I should have made myself more presentable." She brushes at her dress, but it really doesn't help the situation or her appearance. "I ... no, I wouldn't want to waste more of your time." She curtseys more slowly this time, an apologetic and awkward curtsey, slightly pained expression on her face.

Aelrena nods at Aleera.

Aelrena gestures to a chair that's been pushed against the wall, "Please, bring that here and we will have a discussion."

Aleera offers an explanation on the One Power Aelrena Sedai had noticed, "Accepted Vianca has me practicing the timing of short weaves, so long as it does not deter from assignments from any Aes Sedai." She nods and hurriedly crosses the floor to the chair and pulls it over toward Aelrena before settling on to it.

Aelrena chuckles politely.

Aelrena says 'Good, I'm glad that you're taking your lessons seriously, though I suspect few sisters will be lenient should you appear before them in the same state you've come to me in.'

Aleera lowers her eyes to the floor before looking back up. "I understand," she offers in a subdued tone, "it will not happen again."

Aelrena chides softly, "No need for that child, my time in the white was not so long ago that I'll be reprimanding you harshly. You've no need for me to make your life harder."

Aelrena clasps her hands in her lap as she leans forward slightly, "Now, tell me. What have you retained of your lessons? What have you learned since you took on the novice white?"

Aleera gathers herself together, expression and tone proper, even if her appearance is not. She begins, "I suppose I would divide those lessons in to 4 different categories. There are lessons of the White Tower; of what it means to be a part of it, expectations, proper behavior, temperament, discernment. There are lessons of the One Power, of embracing it, of coaxing flows of the elements appropriately. There are lessons of the World; with the library here holding so much knowledge and the Accepted, Aes Sedai, and staff being able to help provide guidance on such. And then, lessons of defense, tactical knowledge of the Tower itself as well as handling myself in the face of trouble."

Aelrena tilts her head to the side, watching the novice closely, "Oh? Please, do tell me more."

Aleera asks, "On any one in particular? Or, shall I elaborate for each?"

Aelrena says 'Tell me of a lesson you've taken on each, and how you've incorporated them into your view of the world, or perhaps how you use them when in an unusual situation.'

Aleera nods, beginning at the end. "Tolza Sedai and Sarinda Sedai, in conjunction have made me consider the White Tower from a tactical perspective. Early on, I learned to go to the Well, should Child Patter or another skulking sneak be about. However, they pushed me to consider beyond that. If that way were barred, where might I go? More importantly, why? I presented my analysis to Sarinda Sedai, emphasizing distance (time to reach a location), security (doors, locking or not), the number and watchfulness of eyes (nohide), and support that might be available, such as in Coulin Sedai's training yard." She then adds, "Tolza Sedai took it a step further, blinding me and forcing me to quickly move between spaces even if I were unable to see."

Aelrena nods in agreement.

Aleera provides her assessment then, "These exercises have made me always consider my current location in context. That is, if an enemy of the White Tower were to appear, where would I go and how would I get there. Regardless of where I am."

Aleera suddenly feels less protected.

Aelrena says 'I am glad to hear you've learned that lesson so early," pauses, her expression contemplative for a second, "Further I hope that you'll keep it in mind once you are allowed to roam further from the Tower.'

Aelrena gestures for the novice to continue.

Aleera nods, sharing as an example, "There are some ancient trees in the woods to the east. I am told, though I have not experienced it personally, that they take very unkindly to shadowspawn. Knowing of locations like that, where a better defense might be mounted would always be of import." At Aelrena Sedai's prompting, she then continues to work backwards, "As for lessons of the World. It feels like I am woefully behind, but I have been reassured that it is decidedly a misperception on my part. I'm far from the only novice here who did not have much formal schooling or tutoring before arrival."

Aleera says 'My mother taught me to read and write, but the only book for lessons in my house was 'The Way of the Light'. I've been able to start to read histories, not just of Amadicia, but Ghealdan and more. There will never be enough time to read them all. I hope that it can help me better understand people and where they've come from. When I shared some of this with Sarinda Sedai, she said something about my father, she said something to the effect of not blaming a man for his convictions. I think she meant that our time and place can often guide our actions. I hope to be able to gain such understanding.'

Aelrena says 'Your circumstances and the way you were brought up can certainly determine your reality and view of the world. How would you apply these lessons to you everyday life, or dealings with other people?'

Aleera answers, "I hope with grace given to others. I have my own past and upbringing to grapple with. That doesn't mean that others do not." With some consideration and maybe a touch of reluctance, she adds, "Others did not necessarily have it better or worse than I. They had their own experiences, their own demons. I should be mindful that everyone has something, whether it is seen or not; everyone has differing struggles."

Aelrena says 'Certainly, that is a way to take it, but I meant more specifically.'

Aelrena says 'For example, would you approach the need for a treaty with Saldaea and the negotiations of such the same as you would treat one with Cairhien?'

Aleera 's voice starts a tad soft, but she speaks with increasing clarity, "I need to not hate or fear
myself. What I am. What I can do." She then quickly rolls with the less personal example posed by Aelrena Sedai, as if she had not said the former, "The importance of a negotiation, yes. The how, no. I don't know enough of either nation to offer cultural differences between the two, but feel confident in saying that the two nations almost certainly hold to some different values and those values would need to be appropriately spoken to for negotiations to be successful."

Aelrena says 'Your own example is good, child. I do appreciate the amount of self-reflection and knowledge that I see in your answer. Would you like to expound further upon that? I believed you were finished once you said that everyone has differing struggles.'

Aelrena nods at Aleera.

Aleera says 'I don't want to, but I might need to.'

Aelrena says 'I find it is often the things we don't want to do, that our often the most helpful in
aiding our growth.'

Aleera lets out a slow breath as she collects her thoughts. "I ... Because of where I grew up, because of how my father felt, I also grew up, very much fearing not just men who could channel, but women as well. The Children would name th... us, darkfriends. Corrupted. When I first channeled, I was frightened, but also horrified."

Aelrena nods at Aleera.

Aelrena says 'That is certainly natural to believe, if it's something you've been taught the entirety of your life. There is no shame in taking time to adjust that perception.'

Aelrena clambers to her feet.

Aleera senses Aelrena is channeling saidar.

Aleera nods her head and says, "Yes, and it has gotten better." The last word is carefully chosen, trying to live by the Three Oaths, even if not taken.

Aelrena sits down.

Aelrena settles back down upon the window.

Aelrena says 'Any improvement is a good sign child.'

Aelrena's tranquil expression changes to a gentle smile.

Aleera shares, "It will just take time. There isn't anything I can learn, any knowledge that I can gain, that is just going to change it. I mean ... I've tried to find something in the philosophies with the hope that a change in thinking might lead to a change in heart."

Aelrena cocks her head to the side, "In the Children of the Light and Amador or yourself?

Aleera answers after a moment, "Yes," and elaborates, "but with myself to start."

Aelrena says 'You don't think small, do you?'

Aleera says 'I haven't given up on my earlier over-promise, yet. I still do want that.'

Aelrena says 'I am glad that part of you hasn't been lost yet. I look forward to seeing what you can do with it when you're no longer confined to the island.'

Aelrena says 'Now, the next type of lesson?'

Aleera nods and says, "Weaves. I've practiced a broad range, to varying degrees of success and precision. Some, such as weaves one might use in self-defense, I have practiced more diligently. The need for them to work in the moment being literally critical. I have practiced some with conjuring light for example as well, but in most, not all, circumstances precision is not quite as vital on a moment's notice. So, with limited time, I have tried to apportion it based on that."

Aleera says 'On a specific note, I have been practicing both Hammer of Air and Flame Strike. I had mentioned that Accepted Vianca tasked me with some additional practice of weaving one or both into the rhythm of a fight so that their use can flow appropriately. I still need more practice, but believe I am close to accomplishing the basics she set me to. Accepted Vianca had additionally taught me how either might be used with hidden opponents to help flush them out.'

Aelrena says 'Good, good, the ability to weave between attacks is imperative for those who wish to earn a shawl.'

Aleera nods to Aelrena Sedai, "I will continue to work at it. It comes to me at times, but not as
consistently as I would like. And when it really matters, the situation will be stressful and so
that repetition will prove to have been all the more necessary."

Aelrena nods at Aleera.

Aelrena says 'Quite true. And the last kind of lesson you mentioned?'

Aleera nods to the Aes Sedai. "Yes," she starts, "of the White Tower. Proper decorum has been imparted to me by my instructors, even if," as she plucks one of those twigs from her hair, "I still need prove more diligent. She wraps her hand around that small twig fragment. She continues, "I have been asked, and asked of others, what it means to be of the White Tower, of being Accepted, with some focus on the concept of Service, related to being a Servant to All."

Aelrena says 'And? What do you think it means to be Accepted?'

Aleera answers, "It is multi-faceted. There is certainly a skill difference between a Novice and Accepted, but if you'll pardon me for saying, I think that is a superficial part of it. It is true, but not core. It is about mind, heart, and relationships. Between a channeler and the White Tower."

Aelrena chuckles politely.

Aelrena says 'Please, expound upon that further. I'm curious to hear your thoughts.'

Aleera continues, "It is a commitment on all fronts. The Accepted is fully committing to the Tower. As a Novice, the White Tower is helping to ensure that I am not a danger to myself or to others, but the relationship between them may go no farther than that. One could theoretically, but maybe not practically, stay a Novice forever, or they may be sent away from the White Tower. But, should an individual be devoted, be committed, and the White Tower also be committed to a Novice, then that Novice might be given a chance to prove that and further and deepen that relationship."

Aleera says 'Part of that commitment is in mind, being willing to continue to develop in all ways. Part of that commitment is in heart, to Serve. To serve the White Tower. To serve the World.'

Aleera says 'Tolza Sedai asked me to commit some of my thoughts on service to paper so that she might preserve them.'

Aelrena says 'Oh? Is this something you've done of yet?'

Aleera nods, "Yes, Aelrena Sedai. It was prompted when I said something about pride not standing in the way of service. Tolza Sedai had prompted me to consider the purpose of chores about the White Tower."

Aelrena says 'I'll look forward to reading what you write up then.'

Aelrena says 'Do you have anything else you wish to share with me before I return you to your
duties?'

Aleera shakes her head and says, "You've been most gracious in helping me to focus some of my thoughts. Thank you."

Aelrena says 'Think nothing of it child.'

Aelrena gestures with her hand.

The door smoothly swings open.

Aelrena says 'You are dismissed then.'

Aleera rises up from the chair and curtseys to Aelrena Sedai. "Thank you again for your time, Aelrena Sedai."

Aelrena nods at Aleera.

Sarinda

Re: What have you learned since taking on the Novice white?

Post by Sarinda » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:14 pm

Base: 3
Special length bonus: 0
Rplizer: +1
Extra meticulous edit: 0
Summary: +1

Total:
Aleera: 5 RPQPs
Aelrena: 3 RPQPs

Please say "receive" at a silver-haired Aes Sedai for your rewards.