A quick discussion on the usefulness of short weaves and the hidden.

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
vianca

A quick discussion on the usefulness of short weaves and the hidden.

Post by vianca » Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:09 pm

Vianca discusses using short weaves to combat rogues with Aleera.

In the Well
This open-roofed building used to house the initiates of the Tower consists
of nine levels, but only three of them are currently in use. A number of
small, windowless rooms open up to a gallery which surrounds a courtyard,
there is ample fresh air. A fountain with a small garden sits at the bottom
of this well, the sound of falling waters echoing among the towering walls.
[ obvious exits: E W ]
Zone: White Tower Upper Floors
Door east: chamberdoor
Kennira, Caretaker of Novices tends to the boarding of her young charges.

A novice has arrived from the west.

You sit down.
Aleera begins mending a bladed feather staff.

Aleera see the deep gouges of a bladed feather staff continue to smooth...

Aleera begins finishing off the edges of a bladed feather staff...

-
Aleera finish mending a bladed feather staff...

In the Well
This open-roofed building used to house the initiates of the Tower consists
of nine levels, but only three of them are currently in use. A number of
small, windowless rooms open up to a gallery which surrounds a courtyard,
there is ample fresh air. A fountain with a small garden sits at the bottom
of this well, the sound of falling waters echoing among the towering walls.
[ obvious exits: E W ]
Zone: White Tower Upper Floors
Door east: chamberdoor
Vianca the Tower Accepted, Green Ajah Apprentice is standing here.
A young girl in a plain white dress stands here.
Kennira, Caretaker of Novices tends to the boarding of her young charges.

Aleera curtseys, "Good evening."

Vianca circles around Aleera, sizing her up.

Vianca says 'Having your weapon ready for battle is always important, Novice.'

A novice leaves west.

Aleera admits, "It was in a somewhat rough shape. I really ought to take it to a smith for further honing and regret that I've been lax and not done so."

Vianca says 'How about yourself though? Have you been honing the skills you've learned while you been with the White Tower?

Aleera shares, "I've been practicing a lot of weaves, Accepted, yes."

Vianca says 'Very good, while it is not your main goal right now to be getting in any battles, it is never to early to hone your skills for when that time comes.'

Vianca says 'Especially with the increased amount of threats that have been in the city lately. '

Vianca says 'Between the Dreadlords, the Fades and the Child of Light officers, the threat has been brought to our very front door more than usual as of late.'

Aleera shares, "I've not had to directly face anything like that luckily. At times, the lumberjack needs a little help with thinning some of the trees out, and there was a strange occurrence out there a few days back as well, with odd fungi, mossy trees, and more. They were all aggressive. There was a Child of the Light nearby burning books as well."

Vianca says 'Since my class last week, have you learned any of the short weaves the we discussed?'

Aleera nods and answers, "Yes. I've spent some time practicing the Hammer of Air. I'm not certain it is the best choice, but I do seem to be getting better with it and trying to time it in tandem with my other motions (between standard combat ticks)."

Vianca smiles at Aleera, “that is good to hear as they are a valuable tool for many situations, Novice.

Aleera shares, "I've heard whispers that there are some places or times where it is difficult to weave fire or water, but the air weave is more taxing, so I am not sure."

Vianca says 'Hammer of air has is place in combat for sure.'

Vianca says 'Yes, this is true, it will be very seldom that you will be in those places for a little while, while it is good to get to know your way around a weave like Hammer of Air you might want to give flame strike a try, it will most likely end up being the most used short weave in your arsenal.'

Vianca says 'Though I am sure sending those trees for a ride with a power blast of air is exciting.'

Aleera smiles as a laugh escapes her lips. "There is something to that," she confesses, "But I will give that weave a try as well. It is the one I have heard the most about. Flame Strike, that is."

Vianca says 'You mentioned that Child Patter was in the Tower library destroying our books?'

A novice leaves west.

Aleera shakes her head to the question, "No, it wasn't him. I didn't quite catch the name, but I remember it wasn't his. I'm too familiar with his name."

Vianca nods slowly.

Vianca says 'Patter and others like him have been creeping around in the shadows of the Tower like a rat looking for a free meal, a dagger in his hand can quickly become a dagger in ones back!'

Vianca grumbles under her breath, "A problem that can be well matched with well timed short weaves.

Aleera gives an emphatic nod. She says, "That led Tolza Sedai and Sarinda Sedai to prompt me through a series of actions and analyses, to practice getting to places in the Tower and identifying different strategic locations."
Aleera )'

Vianca says 'Very good, can you name me three of the safer places there is yo be inside these walls?'

Aleera gestures about her, "Here is an ideal, but I was pushed to identify other locations as well, in case the way here was blocked or less accessible. If an Aes Sedai is in one of the wing conservatories, those spaces can be locked somewhat securely.

Vianca nods once. “Yes, Here is good.”

Aleera continues, Coulin Gaidin's training yard also has many watchful eyes that help defeat the skulking and provide a number of allies. Mistress Laras also has remarkably sharp eyes.

Aleera elaborates, More interestingly, Sarinda Sedai also brought me to the east wing of the library, to the north room down by the restricted section. She described how that room even blocks attempts to use the One Power to find someone or something, and so is useful and safe in a different manner."

Vianca says 'Very good, You might also find yourself safe under the watch of Sheriam Sedai as well, as you know she lies behind a door which is a great deterrent for most enemies.'

Vianca says 'Now, I want to get back to the recent threats of Patter and stabbers like him that have been wandering to close by.'

Vianca mutters as she looks over her shoulder, peering in the shadows.

Vianca says 'How much time have you put into learning how to keep notice of those who hide in the shadows?'

Aleera considers and says, "I've practiced a good bit, but am certain there are others more adept than I am."

Vianca says 'It would be a good idea to keep your skills of notice pretty high, (87%), to have a better chance of catching these sneaks in the act.'

Vianca says 'It's also important that you are specific when targeting a hidden enemy (use Kill h.target) in order engage them as well.'

Aleera nods in affirmation about practicing her skills and techniques for engaging such enemies.

Vianca smiles at Aleera.

Vianca says 'That being said, using that method is detrimental to your moves as you know, yes?'

Aleera lets out a breath, "It's a bit exhausting, very much so."

Aleera says 'Both being in a constant state of vigilance and trying to attack a target who may be nearby and hidden.'

Vianca says 'Can you tell me how to see if a hidden if the room without expelling any movement?'

Aleera asks, a bit uncertain, "Is there a technique where I can diagnose someone?"

Aleera purses her lips and admits, "But I might be thinking of something different."

Vianca says 'Correct, that is a good way to take a glance at a hidden person to determine if they are present in the room.'

Vianca says 'Very good'

Vianca says 'Can you think of any other way?'

Aleera asks her, "Would a careful search turn such up? I imagine one of the locate weaves could also be useful for it."

Vianca says 'Depending of how much time you have spent learning search, yes it was be very effective. However search will not engage your target to prevent from being tabbed. The locate weaves will not help you in the manner, however, there are other weaves that will.'

Vianca says 'The one I use the most against these types of foes is flame strike.'

Vianca says 'other short weaves can be used as well.'

Aleera ohs, "I guess I didn't even consider that one of those short weaves might also be used to flush someone out of hiding."

Aleera says 'Thank you.'

Vianca says 'This, like anything else comes such as search comes with some risk, but this comes with a reward that the others don't and that is damage.'

Vianca says 'And, if timed right, even if you fail the weave, you will have time to leave the room.'

Vianca says 'And more importantly, this will not use up any of your energy and is a great deterrent for rogues.'

Aleera says 'Timing is so important. Maintaining some of my ability to maneuver does seem useful.'

Vianca says 'Practice is key, learning to time your weaves will be a life saver for sure. I am glad that you were able to pick up a shorter weave since the last time we spoke and learn you way around it.'

Vianca looks at Aleera.

Aleera shares, "I can't manage it every time (pulse), but maybe every other, give or take. I need more practice, for sure. I need to be able to do it when it really matters."

Vianca looks over Aleera once more.

Vianca says 'I have a task I would like you to complete for me. Mind you Novice, this does not trump any mission given to you by any Aes Sedai.

Vianca continues ‘I would like you to work of your short weave timing for me. Do your best to successfully deploy your short weave while still striking your target with your staff.'

Vianca says 'I would like for you to be able to do this 4 rounds in a row.'

Vianca says 'This can be done while you are pruning the trees, and other things close to the city'

Vianca smiles happily.

Aleera listens, taking that in. She nods, "Certainly, I can do that. Or, at the least, I will work until I am able to do so." She offers a quick smile.

A novice leaves west.

Vianca says 'Do your best Novice, it will prove to be a very important lesson, and if becomes second nature it will be a game changing tool in battle.'

Aleera promises, "I will, Accepted Vianca."

Vianca says 'Do you have any questions at this time regarding this or anything else I can help you with?'

Aleera contemplates for a moment of private assessment, then answers, "No, I think I understand. I will certainly find you if I think of something worth asking, however."

Vianca says 'Very good, Please feel free to reach out anytime, we are all here to help each other.'

Aleera 's smile touches her eyes and she offers a genuine, "Thank you."

Vianca smiles at Aleera and gestures to her that she is free to go.

Sarinda

Re: A quick discussion on the usefulness of short weaves and the hidden.

Post by Sarinda » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:10 pm

Base: 2
Special length bonus: 0
Rplizer: +1
Extra meticulous edit: 0
Summary: +0 (For full credit in the future, please add a little more detail about the summary, as well as list of who is involved in the log and their level of involvement - major players, minor appearances, etc.).

Total:
Vianca: 3 RPQPs
Aleera: 2 RPQPs

Please say "receive" at a silver-haired Aes Sedai for your rewards.