Weights, Measurements, and Promises

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Aleera

Weights, Measurements, and Promises

Post by Aleera » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:42 pm

Summary: Caught up in the wake of two of the Brown Sitters, a young novice finds herself being weighed and measured and making promises that may be a bit too big.

Main Characters: Catisune, Aelrena, Aleera

POV: Aleera

Aelrena and Catisune encounter Aleera in The Well.

Aleera curtseys.

Aelrena's lips twitch up slightly at the corners.

Catisune swans in with Aelrena in tow, her face the very picture of Aes Sedai equanimity.

Aleera quickly offers, "I was just headed down to help Mistress Laras with some of the dishes."

Catisune studies the child as a lepidopterist might a butterfly pinned to a tray. She cants her head to one side.

Aelrena follows her sister into the well, though her eyes remain upon the novice as she stays a few feet back.

Catisune says 'Most novices learn quickly to speak only when spoken to, but I understand that you are new.'

Catisune invites Aleera forward with a spindly finger.

Catisune says 'What is your name, dear?'

Aleera curtseys again, expression quite contrite, eyes wide. After a moment, she concisely answers, "Aleera, Aes Sedai."

Catisune considers this carefully, her large, watery eyes impassive.

Catisune says 'May the Light favor you, Aleera. I am Catisune Ebernos Aes Sedai. But you may call me Catisune Sedai or Aes Sedai.'

Aelrena's focus seems to wander from the interaction as she begins walking through the well, quietly poking her head in the doors of other rooms.

Catisune says 'Aelrena, would you take tea?'

Aleera remains quiet under the scrutiny, although the astute Aes Sedai observers can pick out the tell-tale signs of her mentally squirming. She answers, "I am honored, Catisune Sedai. Thank you."

Aelrena blinks slowly, turning back from opening a door, "What was that sister?"

Catisune says 'Tea, Aelrena. Would you take some?'

Aelrena says 'How could I ever say no when it's you asking, sister?'

Catisune says 'Many people succumb to that quandary, sister.'

Catisune smiles, though the gesture does not touch her large, watery eyes.

Catisune says 'Aleera, Aelrena Sedai and I will take tea service and cakes in the Study of the Brown Ajah. Meet us there shortly with my request.'

Aleera scrambles down to the kitchens to begin preparing tea and cakes, but is interrupted by a messenger telling her to skip those preparations and just come directly to the Study of the Brown Ajah. She makes haste.

Study of the Brown Ajah
Tall, arched windows in the northern wall open to a balcony, providing a
choice view of the Erinin as it flows south from the Borderlands. Half the
seating in the room is drawn up around the windows, showing that the
occupants appreciate the panorama. The remaining seats are drawn up in
circles of six to eight, allowing Brown Sisters to discuss the furtherance
of knowledge, or new theories in an informal atmosphere. Colorful wall
hangings depicting still lifes decorate the pale white walls. Also present within the room are a silver-haired Aes Sedai, reading, deep in thought and Danelle Sedai, sitter for the Brown Ajah.

Aleera senses Aelrena connecting to the True Source.

Aelrena gestures at the door with her hand.

The door silently swings shut and lock with a soft *click*.

Catisune gives you a rumpled Novice dress.

Catisune says 'Someone is looking for that.'

Catisune says 'See it returned, please.'

Aleera nods her head, "Of course, Catisune Sedai." She carefully folds up the dress to take to Mistress Laras.

Aelrena settles onto the window sill, retrieving a small embroidery hoop from her bag with a quiet hum.

Catisune seems to arrive, as if by accident, at the plush chair she typically favors near the large Ajah study windows. She sits without ceremony, tucking a tawny bag of sewing trinkets by her feet.

Catisune beckons Aleera forth with impatient fingers.

Aleera steps forward quickly when beckoned. This time, she keeps quiet and waits to be further prompted.

Catisune says 'Tell me, Aleera, of your experience in the White Tower.'

Catisune amends 'I have met few in Whites of late and am eager for this acquaintance.'

Aelrena pulls a small needle from her work, quietly pushing it through the fabric as she listens.

Catisune begins dislodging items from the tawny bag at her feet: first, a taxidermied owl; next, several vials of ink and blotting sand; then a few well-worn leather tomes; and finally, an embroidery hoop, which she squints at as if deciding its merit.

Aleera considers, but not overly long, before trying to answer clearly and concisely, "I have been warmly welcomed, Catisune Sedai. The Mistress of Novices has been strict but fair; guiding my orientation to these Halls. A few of the Aes Sedai have additionally given of their time to help teach me of the One Power and of weaves." She curtseys in Aelrena's direction as she shares the latter.

Catisune shows the hoop to Aleera 'What do you make of this?'

Aleera offers, "It is potential, like a blank canvas."

Aelrena hums quietly along, glancing up briefly before letting out a small sound as a tiny droplet of blood falls onto her cloth.

Catisune approves 'Much like a Novice. You are here because of your potential, Aleera. Now what will you make of it?'

Aleera's head nods in response, "I hope something that will make this Hall and its Sisters proud. I can only do my best to be worthy of what has been given to me."

Catisune taps her lip thoughtfully.

Catisune says 'What challenges have you faced so far?'

Aelrena frowns slightly as she examines her finger before shrugging, and returning the hoop to her own bag. She then retrieves a small kerchief which she closes tightly in her hand.

Aleera shivers for a moment at the question and answers, "Twice, a Child of the Light has accosted me in the Halls." Catisune has doubtless heard that Aleera had come to the White Tower from Amadicia. She then adds, "I've had to struggle with unlearning much of what I have been taught as 'truths'. It
makes me feel guilty... I'm not sure if that is quite the right term, at times."

Catisune says 'Did you survive these encounters?'

Aelrena quietly raps against the window sill three times.

Aleera nods and assesses, "I did. They were toying with me. I ran both times. I believe they let me." Her tone says she's not particularly proud of this.

Aelrena pauses briefly, a frown crossing her features.

Catisune says 'Do not be ashamed to live, Aleera, especially when that is an act of defiance.'

Aelrena nods in agreement.

Catisune says 'As a Novice, your first priority is to get somewhere safe -- such as at Coulin Gaidin or in the Well.'

Aelrena says 'Running is not shameful, child.'

Aelrena says 'I myself will always suggest the Well, though Coulin Gaidin is quite capable of protecting you.'

Aleera lets out a breath and nods. In soft tones, she says, "I understand that here" and she touches fingers to her temple, "but don't yet feel it here," and she touches to her chest.

Catisune nods, the bun atop her head swaying dangerously 'Know it and feel it but do both quickly. I do no wish to lose you, child. You have . . . tremendous potential.'

Aelrena says 'Catisune is not one to let talent go to waste, she's rather... exacting on those she finds worthy.'

Aelrena nods at Aleera.

Catisune slips into the dulcent tones and rhythms of Illian as quickly as she abandons them, as easily as another might doff and don a cloak.

Aleera nods quickly, "Of course. I was paralyzed the first time until one of the Gaidin, giving chase, urged me to the Master at Arms. The second time, I ran immediately."

Catisune nods, bun wibble-wobble 'We don't give our legs enough credit.'

Aleera 's eyes duck to Aelrena at her comment, catching it clearly, but not responding. Eyes back to Catisune, she gifts a tight smile, "Yes, quite. I never could have imagined so many stairs before coming here."

Aelrena chuckles politely.

Catisune invites, quizzically 'How else fare your studies?'

Aelrena leans down to dig through her bag once again.

Aleera shares with the Aes Sedai, "I've visited Sisters of each Ajah, as instructed by Mistress Sheriam Sedai, learning some of the history of the world and White Tower, as well of each Ajah. There is more to learn here than I ever could, even with many lifetimes. The library ... it's amazing." Her voice bespeaks her awe oh so clearly. She then adds, "I've worked on a weave to help protect myself from blows and also a weave of ice, shown to me by Sarinda Sedai should I need to defend myself. They come more quickly now than before, but I have much work ahead."

Aelrena tuts quietly as she does so, and after a moment retrieves a tightly-bound leather journal, the surface of which is so stained by ink it seems to have changed color entirely.

Catisune nods again, and that same bun seems on the precipice of escape.

Catisune says 'What questions do you have for a Sitter of the Brown Ajah? You find yourself in the company of all three.'

Aelrena looks up from the journal clasped in her hands, "I'd truly be shocked if you had nothing. I myself was a spitfire with questions at your age."

Aleera carefully considers for a question that might be at least a little worthy of that. She says, "As I made my way here, my only thoughts were on escape, of safety. I think more, now, of the future and what my purpose will be. In the world. In the White Tower." With the preamble out of the way, she
asks, "How do you know when you've found your purpose? How you're really meant to serve the world?"

Aelrena whispers something to Catisune.

Catisune strains from her plush chair to hear Aelrena, though she manages to make the contortion seem graceful.

Aelrena hums quietly under her breath.

Catisune says, in a rare moment of levity 'Any day now, I suspect.'

Aelrena looks at the novice appraisingly, her gaze suddenly sharp and focused.

Catisune's large, watery eyes drift to the window, where Aelrena sits, and beyond, to the River Erinin coursing below.

Aelrena says 'The future is not easily known, and I've found that purposes often change as needs change. Not all things are so easily broken down into a single aspect.'

Aelrena says 'I could answer you with how I found my purpose, or I'm certain that Catisune could for you, but I do not think that would help you, Child. Finding what you consider to be your calling, the heights to which you aspire, are things that can only be determined and found by you.'

Aelrena says 'If you were to stop and ask yourself, "What is it that I desire most in the world?", what is it that comes to mind?'

Aleera answers rather quickly, "I don't want any girl who can channel to ever have to live in fear again. I want to understand how people can end up the way that they do? How does someone who does horrible things to others end up like that?"

Aelrena says 'Oh, just that?'

Aelrena's answer is dry, her lips quirking up ever so slightly.

Catisune sets her embroidery hoop to one side of the plush chair she typically favors.

Aleera lets out a nervous little laugh and a, "Just."

Aelrena says 'And how do you plan to attain that? What do you think the first step is?'

Aelrena arches an eyebrow.

Aleera grows serious and says, "I don't think I can attain it. Either of those things. But, I don't think that means I shouldn't try." She finds a little steel in her backbone, although clearly remaining nervous in present company, _three_ Sitters as it were, "I hope that the trying is the point;
making things better as best I can. My first step ... my first step is to listen and learn. There are so many here with so much more experience."

Catisune says, perhaps offering comfort 'Well, whatever you decide on, do it quickly and with your whole heart. Anything less will see you dead within a few years.'

Aelrena says 'Then I think you've learned at least one thing if nothing else since you've found you way to the Tower.'

Aleera promises with a curtsy, "I will. I will find my path. I will learn everything I can from those who will teach."

Catisune says 'You may seek me later for a lesson, child.'

Catisune says 'And I shall let you name the subject. How about that?'

Aelrena says 'Quite ambitious, to attempt learning everything. I hope that you're capable of living up to it.'

Catisune taps her lip thoughtfully.

Aleera drops in a lower curtsey, "You are very kind, Catisune Sedai. I will prepare and request a lesson." To Aelrena she promises, "I will do my best. The opportunity here ... I would be foolish to not take every bit offered."

Aelrena nods in agreement.

Aelrena says 'You'd do well to take her up on that.'

Catisune says 'Off with you then, child, and let us speak again soon of your progress. I will be watching.'

Aelrena says 'She has a rather large amount to teach about Shienaran poetry, if you've the head for it.'

Aleera curtseys again, "Catisune Sedai. Aelrena Sedai. Thank you both for your time today."

Catisune allows her words to serve as a dismissal as she reclaims the embroidery hoop she'd stowed to one side and not touched once during the course of that conversation.

Gesin

Re: Weights, Measurements, and Promises

Post by Gesin » Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:10 pm

Awarded 3 qps plus 2 for appropriate edits.