Accepted Provides a Refresher to a Novice

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Amilesa

Accepted Provides a Refresher to a Novice

Post by Amilesa » Thu May 25, 2023 7:31 pm

An old Novice who has already gone through the Arches and faced her fears asked Amilesa for a lesson from an Accepted. She wanted to know what has changed since the last time she had gone through the interview process, and Amilesa's instructions on what it means to be Accepted.

Point of View: Amilesa
Participants: Amilesa, Niesra

In a Small Room
This small, windowless room is used to house an initiate of the Tower. A
closet contains the girl's dresses, smallclothes, slippers and cloak, while
a small wash basin and pitcher has been placed in a corner of the room. A
plain, nicked chair stands against the wall and the bed has been neatly
made. A small round rug in an Illianer circular pattern adorns the ground.
[ obvious exits: E W ]
Dian the red haired Accepted is standing here, taking care of the quarters.

The chamberdoor is opened from the other side.

Niesra has arrived from the west.

The chamberdoor closes quietly.

Niesra curtseys gracefully.

Niesra says 'Light favor you Accepted's.'

A novice leaves east.

Amilesa rises as the Novice arrives, promptly on schedule.

Amilesa says 'May it also favor you, Novice.'

Niesra bows her head acknowledge the good favor wish, "Thank you Accepted.... I believe Amilesa?"

Niesra looks at Amilesa.

Amilesa brushes her dress to straighten a wrinkle before holding a hand out towards the Novice.

Amilesa says 'Well met, yes I am Accepted Amilesa.'

Niesra drys her hands in a white apron from washing dishes before extending hers and shaking the Accepted's hand."I am Novice Niesra, nice to meet you!"

Amilesa moves over to allow the Novice to have a seat around Dian as well.

Amilesa says 'Please, come join us. You mentioned wanting some informal guidance from a recent Accepted...'

Amilesa tilts her head in the Novice's direction and asks 'Yes?'

Niesra unties the apron and pulls the pins from the upper blouse of her dress allowing the apron to fall onto her bent arm before laying it over the chair and sitting opposite the Accepted. "Indeed I do Accepted."

Amilesa pulls out a rag and wipes her hand clean on it, setting it off to the side.

Amilesa pats the seat next of her invitingly.

Niesra stands and moves next to the Accepted before sitting with her legs crossed, she was no high lady but it did help her posture."Thank you."

Amilesa says 'You mentioned being familiar with the basics, so please let me know if I should move on from a topic. It is my intent to share what I know of what I have gone through, and answer any questions you might have.'

Amilesa gets out a worn notebook and opens it to the most recent page.

Amilesa looks down at her notes and then frowns, staring at them some more, and frowns again.

Niesra thinks a moment before looking to the Accepted. "Two hundred and fifty years ago I came close to the shawl. Much has changed since I left the Tower then."

Amilesa purses her lips together, the plumpness turning slightly white.

Amilesa whistles as she gives the Novice a measuring look.

Amilesa says 'Then I dare say you may already be well versed.'

Amilesa claps her hands together.

Amilesa says 'But that just means it is most imperative to focus on the current process. '

Niesra says 'I find it best to give context. I am here again as regardless if you leave or not, all roads for women like us lead to Tar Valon, no matter how much you fight it.'

Amilesa looks back down at her notebook askance.

Amilesa says 'Fascinating. I was instructed that a girl may only face her fears once.'

Amilesa says 'Regardless, that is a matter for those of different dresses.'

Niesra says 'IF that is true or not, in time i will find out, my circumstance was not due to the test. Tower politics unseated me from my path long ago.'

Amilesa looks down and gestures in a grandiose manner to her banded dress.

Niesra says 'I remember that dress well, and the almost naked feeling of not wearing the great serpent ring. It took almost a decade before it faded.'

Amilesa says 'I can only imagine.'

Niesra brushes a raven haired lock over her shoulder and smiles looking at the Accepteds notes. "May I ask, which have you chose to pursue?"

Amilesa says 'The requirements for your next advancement is to be level 20 or above, I believe, hold at least 30 merits, pass an interview for advancement, and go through the Arches.'

Amilesa sticks her tongue out briefly.

Amilesa says 'What do you mean? I did not catch what you said.'

Amilesa rearranges herself slightly in the seat trying to find a more comfortable position.

Niesra nods taking in the Accepteds words, "So advancement from novice has not changed. Only the travel restrictions have." Winks at Amilesa "Which path do you follow is a much more subtle way to ask which Ajah do you plan to study with."

Amilesa clicks her tongue and sways her head gently.

Amilesa says 'It is a requirement to Apprentice an Ajah before advancing to Tower Accepted, which I have not done yet.'

Amilesa says 'But...'

Amilesa says 'I hope to meet with a few more Sisters to fully be sure, but am otherwise thinking the White Ajah is what makes sense for me.'

Amilesa adds 'I have not spoken to a White Sister about this. It is just based off of what I know of how they approach situations, and my discussions with Aes Sedai of other Ajahs.'

Amilesa says 'What Ajah were you previously Apprenticed to? You said you were close to the Shawl.'

Niesra chuckles and looks to the accepted with sparkling hazel eyes. "Do not feel embarrassment at taking long to decide, i took nearly four years to decide then bounced from one to another. It is a very in depth decision to make."

Niesra says 'I was working with the Blue Ajah, and some with the yellow. Close in those days was different then it is now. '

Amilesa shrugs, moving on to the matter at hand.

Amilesa says 'The best advice I can give Novices is to be familiar with the Handbook. These are the rules we live by, and you are expected to know them, even quizzed on them at times, as you advance.'

Amilesa holds up her hand and says ' I know, I know, you likely know this. But you DID ask me for guidance.'

Amilesa gestures towards the hall beyond the Novice door to the west.

Amilesa says 'You will also be expected to know your home. I am certain the architecture has changed since you last Apprenticed.'

Niesra says 'Back in the day only Sitters could progress a girl in responsibility. Is it still same now?"'

Amilesa nods at the Novice's question.

Amilesa says 'Any Aes Sedai may now Interview you for advancement. I believe the protocol is to politely ask if an Aes Sedai has a moment to interview you for advancement.'

Niesra says 'That is a change then, they used to descend on is in the past and rank on the spot. It was both terrifying and exlirating at the same time.'

Amilesa says 'Should you pass the Interview, you will be given 24 hours to reflect, and then can led to Face your Fears by an Aes Sedai.'

Niesra chuckles politely.

Amilesa says 'I suppose nothing is keeping an Aes Sedai from doing that. But with how busy Aes Sedai are, they may not be current on the eligibility of every girl.'

Amilesa shrugs, holding up her hands, making the hem of her banded dress softly bounce.

Amilesa says 'In addition to knowing the handbook and how to get around the Tower, you will also likely be asked why you are ready for advancement...'

Niesra nods hearing the accepteds words. "I can attest to that, I have seen them in the field for centuries. There seems to be fewer now. I hope it is only a passing phase."

Amilesa says 'This si where you can recount how you have learned to control the One Power, and any non-standard chore that you have done that shows you've learned what you needed to as a Novice.'

Amilesa inhales slightly in a pause.

Amilesa says '...you may also be asked a bit about your background and what brought you here. While we all put our previous lives behind us when we choose to go down this path, getting to know one's past can help relate.'

Amilesa smiles thinly.

Niesra says 'I see'

Amilesa says 'You will likely also be asked "What does it mean to be an Accepted?" or "How should an Accepted behave?"'

Niesra says 'Much has changed and yet some things still remain the same.'

Amilesa readjusts herself in her seat once more.

Amilesa says 'In an institution spanning the length of the White Tower, I am sure they stick with Tradition that works.'

Niesra says 'I find that very true of late. May I ask, when did you know you were ready for the Arches?'

Amilesa says 'You may also be asked basic historical questions, or to recite Tower lore such as describing each of the Ajahs, or reciting the Three Oaths.'

Amilesa purses her lips.

Amilesa says 'There comes a moment when you realize you have learned what has been asked of you, and that your daily routine is noticeable.'

Amilesa says 'To me, I felt I needed to advance to learn more. It was difficult because it required Facing my Fears to advance my studies.'

Amilesa pauses before leaning in.

Niesra leans in to hear the Accepted.

Amilesa says 'What I learned is that while I had learned what was being asked of me, I was not properly behaving as an Accepted would. I wasn't making the decisions for the right reasons.'

Amilesa waves her hand in front of her.

Amilesa says 'You will only get that through instruction and these interviews.'

Niesra sighs with a bit of relief. "So they are not as cryptic as they once were. That is most fortunate."

Amilesa says 'You see, there is a difference between what a Novice must learn to become an Accepted, what an Accepted learns, and what it means to be Accepted.'

Amilesa says 'How an Aes Sedai teaches you those lessons is completely up to them. I will not speak for a Sister.'

Amilesa says 'The role of an Accepted is to learn what it means to be Aes Sedai.'

Niesra puts hand up slightly waving to dismiss the statement. "Nor would I, though it is nice to see they are more hands on with training. Then again there seems to be fewer girls now."

Amilesa says 'You must devote yourself fully to learning. With the One Power as your tool, about the Ajahs, but also how you may best serve the Light currently and in the future.'

Amilesa says 'Should you become Accepted, you will need to behave as you believe an Aes Sedai would, within reason. Follow the Three Oaths you have yet to swear, assist your fellow initiates, and be an positive representation of the Tower to the world.'

Amilesa nods her head as she says solemnly 'It is a large responsibility.'

Amilesa claps her hands together once more.

Amilesa says 'I hope some of that was useful to you, knowing now what your background is.'

Amilesa looks expectantly at the Novice.

Amilesa says 'Do you have any questions for me?'

Niesra smiles her olive skin seeming to gleam in the candle light of the room. "It has helped more than you can know Accepted Amilesa. I have only one question. Does Verin Sedai still leave honey cakes out on sunday nights?" Winks to the Accepted.

Amilesa smiles ruefully 'If she does, Novices who are in the know seem to snatch them up before I have come by.'

Amilesa rises from her seat, giving Accepted Dian plenty of space.

Niesra says 'I will save one for you if I find them out. Thank you Accepted for imparting your knowledge to me.'

Amilesa nods to herself in satisfaction.

Amilesa says 'It has been a pleasure to be of assistance, Novice.'

Chloro

Re: Accepted Provides a Refresher to a Novice

Post by Chloro » Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:46 pm

Rplizer +1 qps : 1
Extra meticulous edit +1 qps : 0
Length bonus +1-2 qps : 1
Summary: +1 qps : 1

Awards:
Amilesa 3
Niesra - Seems to have perma deleted