Currents Beneath the Surface

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Chloro

Currents Beneath the Surface

Post by Chloro » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:29 am

A discussion was over heard by Chloro as two Accepted debated the current conflict in the tower square. Seizing upon this flare in politics the Gray took the opportunity to expand the initiates view of thinking in this area.

Point of View: Chloro
Participants: Chloro, Bena, Aedwyn
Cameo: Annoura

Log session starting at 19:17:53 on Thursday, 23 March 2023.

Meeting Room of the Gray Ajah
Large, leaded glass windows surround the room on all sides, save the
southern where a large doorway leads out into a antechamber. The room
itself is dominated by a large wooden table around which sits at least
fifty matching chairs, something close to a record for the White Tower. In
the middle of the table are an assortment of unused parchments, quill pens
and stoppered ink jars. A small stand off to one side of the room holds a
large number of glass cups and a large pitcher of chilled water. An
inscription in fine lettering is etched upon the windows.
[ obvious exits: E ]
Zone: White Tower Upper Floors
Door east: door
A large round table built from black oak dominates the center of the room.
Bena the Journey Accepted is standing here.
Aedwyn the Journey Accepted is standing here.
A woman with an ageless face stands here.
A silver-haired Aes Sedai sits here, reading.
A Gray Sister walks here, considering her options.
Annoura Larisen is here, weighing your words.

Chloro says 'Annoura I believe we need more chairs.'

Annoura Larisen glances around the room.

Annoura Larisen says 'Yes, it does appear we are short a few for this meeting.'

Annoura Larisen steps out, then returns with an Accepted following close behind.

Annoura Larisen looks over her shoulder at the girl.

Annoura Larisen says 'Child, help us move some of these chairs around the table.'

A dutiful Accepted curtseys gracefully. 'Yes, Aes Sedai.'

A dutiful Accepted grabs a chair and quickly moves across the room.
A dutiful Accepted drops a stout oaken chair.

A dutiful Accepted makes her way towards another and shuffles it into place.

Bena closes the carveddoor.

A dutiful Accepted avoids making eye contact as she lifts another chair.

A dutiful Accepted gets a last chair and sets it with the others around a large table.

A dutiful Accepted dips into a final curtsy and leaves with haste.

Aedwyn sits down on a stout oaken chair.

Chloro gracefully glides over to a tall cabinet pulling out a leather-bound scroll half her already tall height and returns to the table, letting it unfurl in front of the girls. "Please be seated and we shall discuss."

Bena sits down on a stout oaken chair.

Bena places the mallet at her feet and her armor makes loud banging and she relaxes back in the chair.

Aedwyn stops using a yew staff.

Aedwyn puts a yew staff in a backpack.

Bena frowns.

Bena says ‘You should stay armed, Aedwyn.'

Aedwyn blinks her eyes innocently.

Chloro motions to the map of the continent and the nations shown. Taking up a pointer she settles into her seat. With a deft hand the pointer moves as she speaks. "So far you know of Andor and Illian joining this political circus."

Aedwyn gets a yew staff from a backpack.

Aedwyn wields a yew staff.

Bena sits forward making a bit more noise as she looks at the map and says, "That is correct, Chloro Sedai."

Chloro says 'Now, having become Accepted you would have received lessons on politics. Seeing this map can you tell me what other countries might also be affected?'

Aedwyn says 'It would seem in any political dispute involving Andor and Tear, Murandy would also be involved.'

Bena says 'If Illian is getting support from Amador, there might be a power imbalance between Illian and Tear.'

Aedwyn nods in agreement.

Aedwyn says 'Anytime Illian is involved in anything, it stands to reason that Tear would also be involved. '

Bena nods in agreement.

Chloro nods "Very good, you have identified Murandy and Tear based on proximity and political climate." The pointer continues to move. "Who else, and why?"

Bena says 'The border lands heavily relies on their neutrality in fighting the Shadow. If the White Tower is having political disputes with other nations, it would make it harder for the fighting in Fal Dara. '

Aedwyn says 'It's possible that Cairhien, and possibly even Arad Doman could be affected as well. Andor and Cairhien are neighboring countries to Murandy and Tear, and their political stability could be impacted by any developments in the region. Arad Doman, on the other hand, has a history of being involved in regional conflicts and may have its own strategic interests in the area.'

Bena says, 'The more unrest in the South, the harder it is for everyone to work together on the front lines.'

Chloro looks to Bena and purses her lips for a moment. “Child I suggest you speak with other members of all Ajahs before making your 'Decision'."

Bena says, 'You honor me, Chloro Sedai, but I know my heart.'

Bena says, 'The Battle ajah is where I belong, the Light will it.'

Chloro moves the pointer to Cairhien, "Can anyone tell my why Andor might effect Cairhien?"

Aedwyn Aedwyn glances to Bena, then to the hammer at her feet, and nods.

Bena says, 'I would say Trade.'

Aedwyn says 'Andor and Cairhien have a complicated history, to be sure, but at a base level they share a border and instability, and chaos are never good things for existing power structures. Any instability in Andor could easily spill over as the Game of Houses knows no borders.'

Bena says 'Goods flow mainly to Ciarhein from water traffic. If unrest breaks out in Andor, those trade routes would be majority disrupted and if the balance in the south between Illian and Tear the same issues could arise.'

Chloro points to a book of Royal blood lines "Aedwyn please fetch that for me please, this is also available in the library should you want to see it again."

Aedwyn clambers to her feet and quickly snatches the tome. "Yes Chloro Sedai"

Aedwyn hands her to book before retaking her seat.

Chloro takes the large leather-bound book and opens it to Andor. "Queen Morgase by marriage, her eldest son, and princess Elyane all share blood and possible claims to that throne."

Chloro says 'Elyane has the strength in channeling ability to become Aes Sedai. She would be the first Aes Sedai queen in most Sedai's lifetimes.'

Chloro says 'Sitting on both the throne of Andor and Cairhien if the wheel weaves it.'

Chloro says 'Thoughts?'

Bena looks to Aedwyn.

Bena says 'This was your line of thinking, Ill allow you to have the first swing.'

Aedwyn says 'While I think Elayne and Morgase are both wise enough to know that the idea of one person holding both the thrones of Andor and Cairhien would likely be controversial and more trouble than it's worth, the mere possibility of that could be enough to spur Cairhien to action if Andor is seen as forming strong alliances now. It could potentially lead to power struggles and political tensions within both nations, as well as potential conflicts with other neighboring nations who may see such a situation as '

Aedwyn says 'a threat to their own interests.'

Bena says, 'I see the issue coming more from Princess Elayne's ability to take the throne if the Tower standing is diminished enough were the Aes Sedai title could be a hindrance instead of a boon.'

Aedwyn says 'But I do think Bena was correct in identifying trade as the primary concern, since trade between nations has proven to facilitate long-term peace. At least for now.'

Chloro says 'It took a moment, but we have now arrived at my Gray sister’s area of work. '

Chloro says 'To be Gray is to know this knowledge and the possibilities that could come from even the smallest of changes to the balance. While the Green Ajah fights with steel and the Power. Words and politics are our battle ground. This political upheaval our thunder dome.

Bena frowns.

Chloro moves the pointer from Cairhien to Amador. "The Children also have a small base inside the City of Cairhien's walls. Tell me what thoughts you have on this."

Aedwyn blinks for a moment, her eyes sparkling as she imagines a giant dome of woven Air and Fire.

Bena says 'They could be a major problem for Elayne's taking over the Cairhien throne. The Great Game will be hard enough without the White Cloaks getting involved, not to mention the security risk they could pose to her safety in that close of proximity. '

Aedwyn says 'It is no secret that the Tower is close to Andor. It is one of the few nations to maintain an Aes Sedai advisor since the end of Hawkwing's era. It is also not a secret that the Whitecloaks oppose the Tower at every turn. They could be sowing the seeds now to lead to conflict between Andor and Cairhien if they see Andor as a close ally of ours.'

Chloro says 'Elyane is far from that moment now, however the Children will seize this moment to increase their influence anywhere they can, so could the shadow. Now you see the gravity of the situation.'

Aedwyn says 'Is the goal of the Tower for Elayne to take both thrones?'

Aedwyn says 'Or *A* goal, rather than *the goal*'

Chloro looks to Aedwyn, "Surely if that were the case, that information would be sealed to the ring of not the Hall or Mother herself."

Aedwyn ponders life, the universe, and everything.

Aedwyn says 'That would seem... ill advised. '

Aedwyn blushes.

Bena says, 'I would also be concerned with the White Cloaks throwing there backing toward House Damodred.'

Aedwyn says 'Ill-advised for Elayne to attempt, not for the secrecy of the seal. '

Bena says 'If a war of succession broke out, they could move on Cairhien to support another house.'

Chloro says 'Now we move into speculation, and that is where I will leave you. However, should you wish another lesson you may seek out my sisters or myself via note (forum mail).'

Bena says, 'This would either force Elayne to draw on the resources of Andor, not a smart move to establish herself as the legitimate ruler of Cairhien and not a foreign ruler, or to build a coalition with ample fighting force to combat the external forces.'

Chloro gestures with her hand.

The door smoothly swings open.

Aedwyn says 'I agree. Though if she could take Cairhien quickly, she'd have no threats to her north.
or east.'

Bena snaps out of her thought and says "Yes, Chloro Sedai. I apologize, my thoughts got away from me there".

Chloro says 'Remember the Tower raises a girl, not one Ajah.'

Aedwyn clambers to her feet.

Bena clambers to her feet.

Aedwyn curtseys before you.

Bena curtseys gracefully.

Bena says 'Thank you for the lesson, Chloro Sedai.'

Chloro nods in agreement.

Aedwyn says 'Thank you for the lesson, Chloro Sedai'

Log session ending at 19:51:09 on Thursday, 23 March 2023.

Catisune

Re: Currents Beneath the Surface

Post by Catisune » Tue May 16, 2023 7:35 pm

Rplizer +1 qps : +1
Extra meticulous edit: +1
Length bonus : 0
Summary: +1

Awards:
Chloro - 4
Aedwyn - 2
Bena -2

See any silver-haired Aes Sedai to receive your merits.