The Library:A living tree

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Aelrena

The Library:A living tree

Post by Aelrena » Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:07 pm

Summary: Aelrena summons Bena briefly to the Study of the Brown Ajah to discuss her studies, the Trolloc Wars, and to give a task to the young Accepted.
POV: Aelrena
Characters: Aelrena, Bena

Study of the Brown Ajah
Tall, arched windows in the northern wall open to a balcony, providing a choice view of the Erinin as it flows south from the Borderlands. Half the seating in the room is drawn up around the windows, showing that the occupants appreciate the panorama. The remaining seats are drawn up in circles of six to eight, allowing Brown Sisters to discuss the furtherance of knowledge, or new theories in an informal atmosphere. Colorful wall hangings depicting still lifes decorate the pale white walls.

Aelrena says 'Danelle summon Bena please.'

Danelle Sedai says 'I will send my scribe to summon her, Aelrena.'

Someone knocks on the carveddoor from the other side.

Aelrena calls for the carveddoor to be opened.

Aelrena gestures with her hand.

The door smoothly swings open.

Bena has arrived from the south.

Bena curtseys gracefully.

Bena closes the carved door.

Bena says 'You wished to see me, Aelrena Sedai?'

Aelrena sits at an armchair at the window, a large tome resting in her lap with a series of stacks of the same about her, all upon varying subjects.

Aelrena nods in agreement.

Aelrena says 'I did child, please have sit.'

Bena says 'Thank you, Aelrena Sedai.'

Aelrena gestures to a notably less padded chair sitting across from her, which has already been setup.

Bena places her maul at her feet as she sits in the chair, straight backed.

Aelrena gestures at the door with her hand.

The door silently swings shut and lock with a soft *click*.

Aelrena says 'Now, I hear that you've been focused in your studies as of yet.'

Aelrena says 'Please tell me of them unto this point.'

Bena says 'I have not secured an apprenticeship to this point, but I am interested in pursuing one with the Green Ajah. To that end I have been focusing my studies on the areas that relate to Battle.'

Aelrena looks down to the tome in her lap, flicking to the next page as she listens to the Accepted.

Aelrena says 'And what have you been doing to prepare yourself for such, dear?'

Aelrena glances up briefly, one eyebrow arched upward.

Bena says 'I've taken an approach of "How do the other ajahs support the Green and how does the Green Ajah support the other 6".'

Aelrena says 'I'm glad to hear that you're considering such. I feel that many forget just how interlinked the Ajahs are.'

Bena says 'To prepare myself I have been reaching out to Aes Sedai from other Ajahs to get their input on my method of study and to pick their brains on this view point.'

Bena smiles happily.

Bena says 'Thank you, Aelrena Sedai.'

Aelrena flips to the next page of her book, tutting softly under her breath as the page folds awkwardly as she straightens it out.

Aelrena says 'So then Bena, how do you think the Brown and the Green are linked?'

Bena says 'I believe those who forget their history are doomed to repeat it. History is rich with lessons for those that can find them.'

Bena says 'The Brown Ajah, while may not be the battle generals the Green Ajah aspire to, they have a wealth of power stored in the library below us.'

Aelrena nods quietly, closing the book before setting it neatly upon the stack to her right, then leaning back in her chair and watching the Accepted.

Bena says 'The Green Ajah, fuels that power by bringing their experiences to add to that knowledge base.'

Aelrena says 'Would you say that it is power that we have stored, Child?'

Aelrena cocks her head to the side, her eyebrow quirking up as she waits.

Bena says 'I would, Aelrena Sedai. To many people underestimate the power of knowledge, the young and the reckless.'

Bena says 'What is stored in this Tower dwarfs the power we wield as channelers. '

Aelrena's lips quirk up infinitesimally at the corners.

Aelrena says 'Then you have seen a deeper truth that some never do.'

Aelrena says 'Knowledge is a basis for power, just as surely as connection, Strength of body, or strength in Saidar.'

Bena says 'I may be able to throw a fire ball to end a fade, but what if I understood the movements before the battle and was able to position our forces such that they easily won the battle or never even needed to fight it.'

Aelrena says 'Foreknowledge of your enemy is important, I believe General Bashere is rather known for a quote pertaining to such, though I don't care to recite it here and now. You should consider looking into some of the knowledge he's distributed over his years. '

Bena says 'I believe I have a book about some of his battles waiting for me to get to, Aelrena Sedai. I will note to move him up on the list of study materials.'

Aelrena says 'So your argument is the Brown Ajah merely stores the knowledge that Greens bring home from battle, and then that the Greens return to study it before riding back off to their battles to be the generals of war? '

Bena says 'Simplistic and only one example of their interplay, but yes Aelerena Sedai.'

Aelrena smirks.

Bena says 'Merly stores does not begin to cover the role of the Brown Ajah.'

Bena says 'The library is like a living tree. The care takers...'

Aelrena says 'Then give me a better example, perhaps something in reference to the Trolloc Wars?'

Bena pauses and nods to the Brown Ajah Aes Sedai.

Bena says 'Are like gardeners. They must bring it to life and sustain it.'

Aelrena nods at her.

Bena thinks hard.

Aelrena says 'You are correct. Knowledge is a living thing that evolves, changes and breathes just as the flora and fauna of the world. Without its caretakers it would wilt and wither as surely as a plant with no sun. '

Aelrena waits quietly, her attention turning to the Erinin outside the windows of the study.

Bena says 'The Trollocs wars marked a "breaking", if you will, amongst the nations of the Light. The disunited period of the Ten Nations left the world vulnerable to the Shadows forces. The Green Ajah would have needed to work amongst these disconnected forces.'

Bena says 'The collaboration of knowledge would be key as this was not a short war. I believe it lasted for 350ish years.'

Aelrena nods slowly, gesturing with one hand for the girl to continue speaking, the great serpent ring upon her right hand catching the sunlight.

Bena says 'What led to the ultimate defeat of the Shadows forces was two part; Ba'alzamon disappeared and seemed to stop supporting his forces and Rashima Kernmosa was raised to the Amyrlin Seat. She would have been able to use the knowledge gathered by the Brown Ajah and the training of the Green Ajah on the Lights forces to rally the splintering and falling nations to ultimately win the war.'

Aelrena says 'Ah, you mention Rashima Keremosa Sedai, could you name the most decisive battle that she took part in?'

Bena says 'While these two ajahs where not soles responsible for the victory. There symbiotic relationship fueled the changes in that 350 year span.'

Bena says 'Oh, this name always eludes me. One moment Aelrena Sedai.'

Bena pulls out a small note pad and flips a few pages.

Bena says 'Here it is, the Battle of Maighande in 1301 AB.'

Bena says 'She gave her life in that battle but struck a heavy blow to the shadow.'

Aelrena says 'And do you think there was perhaps a way that Rashima's life could have been saved, if perhaps the Green had fought harder? Or the Blue had gathered more information? Perhaps the yellows could have reached her before her passing?'

Bena says 'The wheel weaves as the wheel wills. We can always say what if this was done or that, but I have faith that the Aes Sedai of that time did what they did for a reason and would not relent in their fight of the shadow. '

Aelrena leans down reading the titles of the books arrayed about her chair, tutting quietly to herself as her eyes roam vertically.

Aelrena glances over to the Accepted, her lips quirking down.

Bena says 'There were missteps to be sure, but without more accurate accounting of the related individual's day by day activities or blow by blow accounting of the fight it would be hard to say who could have prevented the loss of one such as Rashima Sedai.'

Aelrena says 'An acceptable answer, if perhaps the safest one.'

Bena frowns.

Aelrena says 'I will accept the answer, it suffices.'

Aelrena feels the flows of saidar coursing through her body.

Aelrena weaves a strand of air to pick up the top three quarters of the lefthand stack of tomes, pulling a large tome from its middle before gently returning it to the floor.

Bena says 'I would like to add a point, if you don't mind Aelrena Sedai.'

Aelrena hands the tome to the Accepted, large lettering on the cover proclaiming it to be "The Trolloc Wars:A recounting."

Aelrena says 'Be my guest, dear.'

Bena says 'I do not wish to take away from her accomplishments, but she is the one responsible for her own downfall. She chose to lead the 10-year campaign that led to that pitched battle. She is the one that made the choices that lead her to that day and chose to fight the battalion of dreadlords. She could have made numerous choices in that time period that could have altered her fate, but she, presumingly, made those choices because she believed she had to in the name of the Light. She was the Amyrlin and the responsibility was hers and ultimately hers alone. '

Aelrena nods along to the Accepted's addition, though her eyes have returned to the window.

Bena looks down at the book in her hands and runs her hand over the large lettering.

Aelrena says 'A braver answer, I will give you. Yes, it is the responsibility of any sister to understand and accept the consequences of her own choices within the world.'

Bena chuckles politely.

Aelrena says 'Perhaps it was pride, perhaps the armies needed a figurehead, or perhaps there are reasons that are hidden from us, which I will give you for your original answer.'

Bena says 'More of a disagreement with the premise of your questions, Aelrena Sedai.'

Aelrena stifles a laugh behind her hand.

Aelrena says 'Perhaps my questions were not about the usefulness, but of testing your ability to think?'

Bena schools her smile, but it does not leave her eye.

Aelrena winks suggestively at Bena.

Bena says 'As I have come to expect for my mentors, Aelrena Sedai.'

Aelrena says 'Now. '

Aelrena says 'I've an assignment for you.'

Aelrena says 'Though, I will not require you to turn it into me unless you wish to. This is more for your own growth and shirking it would be a disservice to yourself more than me.'

Bena nods in agreement.

Aelrena says 'I would like you to consider the Trolloc Wars in greater detail, look at the historical accounts and consider what could have been done better and what was done well.'

Bena nods in agreement.

Aelrena says 'Perhaps the insight of a green sister would be helpful in the consideration of wartime tactics, or Lexica Sedai who I believe made specific research into the battle of Maighande.'

Bena says 'I will reach out and see if I find any additional insight on the topic, Aelrena Sedai.'

Aelrena says 'Good.'

Aelrena says 'Is there anything else that I can help you with?'

Bena says 'No, Aelrena Sedai. Thank you for your time today.'

Aelrena says 'You are welcome to my time, Child.'

Aelrena's lips twitch up slightly at the corners.

Bena smiles happily.

Aelrena gestures with her hand.

The door smoothly swings open.

Aelrena says 'You are dismissed.'

Bena stands, picking up her maul.

Bena curtseys gracefully.

Bena leaves south. vv

The carveddoor closes quietly.

Sarinda

Re: The Library:A living tree

Post by Sarinda » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:28 pm

Base: 3
Special length bonus: 0
Rplizer: +1
Extra meticulous edit: 0
Summary: +1

Total:
Aelrena: 5 RPQPs
Bena: 3 RPQPs

I found this log particularly enjoyable. The depth of discussion on history and its role in the conversation was well done.

Please say "receive" at a silver-haired Aes Sedai for your rewards.