Quizzing a Wearied Novice

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Ashlynn

Quizzing a Wearied Novice

Post by Ashlynn » Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:47 pm

Summary: A Wearied Novice believes she is ready to advance in the White Tower. She seeks out an Aes Sedai to discuss this with, and finds the Yellow Ajah Sitter Ashlynn Sedai ready to interview her. The Aes Sedai quizzes the girl on various topics related to being a Wearied Novice and asks the girl what it means to become Accepted.

POV: Ashlynn
Participants: Ashlynn, Nali

Log session starting at 16:17:10 on Sunday, 26 February 2023.

Someone knocks on the carved door from the other side.

Ashlynn gestures with her hand.

The doors smoothly swing open.

Ashlynn glances at the door and calls, 'You may enter.'

Nali has arrived from the north.

Ashlynn gestures at the door with her hand.

Nali curtseys gracefully.

The door silently swings shut and lock with a soft *click*.

Ashlynn smiles happily.

Nali says 'Good afternoon Ashlynn Sedai.'

Nali says 'Thank you for meeting with me.'

Nali says 'I have brought the cup of tea you asked for.'

Nali says 'Where should I place it? Or do you want me to hand it to you?'

Ashlynn says 'Of course child, it is good to see you. The tea? Oh, I'll take it here.'

Nali gives you a cup of strong black tea.

Nali says 'I didn't know how you wanted your tea, so I must let you know it is a bit strong.'

Ashlynn says 'This is fine. I could use a strong cup today.'

Ashlynn sips hot, bitter tea from a cup.

Nali sips tea from the cup.

Ashlynn says 'Thank you for this. It is delicious.'

Nali says 'It was my pleasure.'

Ashlynn says 'Now, I understand you had something you wanted to ask me about today?'

Nali says 'Yes, I was hoping you would interview me for consideration for advancement to an Accepted.'

Ashlynn nods at Nali, her green eyes sparkling.

Ashlynn says 'Ah, Accepted. That is a big step, child.'

Ashlynn says 'Tell me a little bit about what you have learned being a Wearied Novice.'

Nali says 'Through my chores, I have learned that nothing should be taken for granted. Everyone has
a role, and every role should be respected. Those that work in the kitchen, cleaning, and putting
away books - they are all important roles that help our Tower function.'

Ashlynn nods at the mention of chores.

Nali says 'When I'm not doing my chores, I have been speaking with each Ajah to learn about each of
their roles, not only in the Tower, but also in the world.'

Ashlynn lets out a small 'ah-ha!' and smiles at Nali.

Ashlynn says 'Now we are getting somewhere, child... The Ajahs, tell me about each.'

Nali says 'Okay, let me start with my first class with the Blue Ajah.'

Ashlynn nods and makes a gesture as if to suggest Nali go on.

Nali says 'Rafela says that her Ajah is the Ajah of justice and causes, and also administration.
Their motto is "to do what must be done". '

Nali says 'The Blue Ajah has supplied the most Amyrlins since the founding of the White Tower'

Ashlynn says 'That is ever so true.'

Nali says 'There are rumors from the novices that they also may have a network in each city,
providing information.'

Ashlynn says 'I see.'

Nali says 'Regarding justice, they handle appeals for Tower warrants.'

Ashlynn nods in agreement.

Nali says 'Rafela also taught me about the history of Artur Hawkwing and how it was justice. Deane
Aryman was a Blue who became Amyrlin, and negotiated a peace of the Siege.'

Ashlynn says 'It's known that the Gray Ajah concerns itself with justice among other things. It sounds to
me like you have had many lessons and paid much attention. Would you take a moment to compare and
contrast the justice the Blue Ajah concerns herself with, and that of the Gray?'

Ashlynn gets a thick hunk of peppered beef from a silver serving platter.

Ashlynn eats a large plate of peppered beef.

Ashlynn gets a cup of water from a silver serving platter.

Ashlynn drinks from a cup of water.

Nali says 'That's a good question, as they do have similarities and I will try my best.'

Nali says 'The Blue Ajah is known for championing causes and fighting for what they perceive as
right and just. They are often driven by a sense of duty to make the world a better place, and they
are not afraid to take bold action to achieve their goals.'

Nali says 'On the other hand, the Gray Ajah concerns itself with maintaining balance and harmony,
particularly in matters of politics and law. They often act as mediators and negotiators, seeking to
resolve conflicts and prevent disputes from escalating into violence.'

Ashlynn says 'It sounds to me like both of them are concerned with making the world a better place
through a sense of duty.'

Ashlynn says 'The difference seems to lie with whether they are dealing with polities or people in
general, perhaps.'

Nali says 'Yes, and I do not believe one way is better than the other. I believe there are
situations where you may need both.'

Ashlynn says 'One may not want to stretch herself too thin, maybe?'

Ashlynn says 'Imagine if only one Ajah dealt in causes, while rumored to manage the most extensive
network of information, AND ALSO at the same time providing mediation and brokerage of treaties...'

Ashlynn says 'Those women would have quite a job on their hands.'

Nali nods in agreement.

Nali says 'That is very true!'

Ashlynn smiles again at Nali, her green eyes sparkling.

Ashlynn says 'Tell me about some of the other Ajahs. What about the Red?'

Nali says 'I have learned a lot more about the Red recently. Originally I thought their main role
was to find male channelers and gentle them to protect the world from their tainted power'

Nali says 'Chloro Sedai has taught me that they do much more. They locate wilders and safely teach
them how to weave properly.'

Nali says 'And if they are willing to come to learn more, they are brought to the Tower.'

Nali says 'I understand that they do not have Warders, as a major difference compared to the other
Ajahs.'

Nali says 'Other than that, Pevara Sedai gave me a history of the War of Power and how the male half
of the One Power came to be tainted'

Ashlynn says 'I am glad to see a novice spend so much time learning about the Ajahs. I would like to ask
you now what you have learned of my own Ajah.'

Nali says 'Why that is my favorite Ajah!'

Ashlynn stifles a small laugh, and quickly regains her calm composure.

Nali says 'Their Motto is ""Death cannot be Healed, for everything else there is the Yellow Ajah"'

Ashlynn nods at Nali.

Nali says 'Besides death, we can't cure the taint on Saidin, but at least not yet.'

Nali says 'We are learning so much more about the One Power every day, especially after speaking with the
Brown Ajah. Hopefully we can discover a cure.'

Nali says 'The Yellow Ajah is known for their remarkable healing ability. All Ajahs can learn to
heal, but the Yellows excel at it. '

Ashlynn says 'Yes, it is true. All of our sisters have the talent for healing, and we are the best
healers.'

Ashlynn says 'Going back to your talk about a cure for the taint on saidin...'

Ashlynn says 'It would be an amazing feat, for sure. And it would bring so many more amazing feats to
follow. Did you know that before the breaking, there were male and female Aes Sedai?'

Nali says 'Yes! Both halves of the power can work together to perform amazing feats. It's sad to
think that we can't do that today, with the tainted male half of the One Power.'

Nali says 'I've read that before the Breaking, we had the technology to fly! '

Ashlynn nods solemnly, what looks like a small tear might be dropping from one of her beautiful green
eyes.

Ashlynn says 'Tell me, have you attended Accepted Maighan's orientation class?'

Nali says 'I believe I may have many years ago, but I am not sure to be honest. I have recently done
a tour around the new White Tower grounds with you, and also there was a guided tour with signs.'

Ashlynn says 'I would suggest visiting the classroom, and seeing if the Accepted would be willing to
teach you again. Just to be safe.'

Nali says 'Yes, I will do that right away!'

Ashlynn says 'After this, my dear.'

Ashlynn says 'Have you learned much about how to defend yourself, whether physically or with the One
Power?'

Nali says 'I have definitely learned much, and I am sure I will continue to learn more.'

Ashlynn says 'Tell me about some of your learning experiences regarding those topics.'

Nali says 'There will be times when I may not able to use the One Power or when I may have used too
much of it. I need to be able to defend myself physically as well.'

Nali says 'I have learned to dodge attacks to reduce chances of injury.'

Nali says 'As I am on the smaller side, I can't carry heavy armor so I thought that would be best.'

Nali says 'Also, it is difficult to weave while I am physically getting injured.'

Nali says 'I have a sword and shield as well to parry attacks.'

Ashlynn says 'Have you sparred with any of the other girls to learn how to time weaves effectively?'

Nali says 'I haven't worked on timing weaves most effectively yet.'

Nali says 'I have learned there are certain weaves that are best in the middle of battle because
they are faster.'

Nali says 'For the longer weave spells like ice spikes, it may be difficult to pull off during
attacks.'

Ashlynn says 'That is good that you know your potential shortcomings. I think in addition to ensuring you
have completed the orientation with Accepted Maighan, I am going to assign Accepted Bena to spar
with you and teach you about weave timing.'

Nali says 'Oh, and to directly answer your question about sparring, I have not sparred with anybody yet.'

Ashlynn says 'It is important to do, and I am afraid many girls these days are not participating in
spars. We used to have a salle specifically for that purpose.'

Ashlynn says 'I believe it was repurposed during a renovation of the Tower, though.'

Nali says 'I see.'

Ashlynn says 'Our strength lies in the One Power, and learning how to defend ourselves with it is important,
as using a sword and shield or a staff can only be so effective.'

Nali says 'Yes, definitely. Through my studies, I have learned some very important battle weaves,
such as chill and blind.'

Ashlynn says 'Tell me what you know about chill? What does it do, what is the utility of it?'

Ashlynn gets a plate of mutton and potatoes from a silver serving platter.

Nali says 'Chill slows down my opponent so that their attacks are not as effective.'

Ashlynn eats the plate of mutton and potatoes.

Nali says 'I can dodge their attacks much more easily.'

Nali says 'It will allow me to counter attack with my other weaves.'

Ashlynn says 'What sort of opponent might you use that on?'

Nali says 'I would use it on anyone who is attacking with a deadly weapon.'

Nali says 'On the other hand, if they are channelers, reducing their physical attack ability
may not be as beneficial for me.'

Ashlynn says 'That is an excellent observation, and very true. Do you know of any weaves that might be
more beneficial in a similar way against another channeler?'

Nali says 'Yes, there is a weave that Sheriam Sedai told me about called "slice weaves". If an opposing
channeler is actively weaving something, I can use "slice weaves" to interrupt them.'

Ashlynn says 'Yes, that is definitely one way to stop an opposing channeler. Most of us use something
like flame strike, though. It is important to learn the timing to make sure you win the battle and
hit first, because they are often using flame strike as well.'

Nali says 'Ah yes, I have hammer of air myself as a fast weave. It's not as efficient but it can
also interrupt weaving.'

Ashlynn says 'Tell me, have you seen or spoken to any of the other sitters, while moving about for your
lessons on each Ajah?'

Ashlynn says 'For one, do you know who the Brown Ajah sitter is?'

Nali says 'I believe the sitters are Blue: Rafela, Brown: Verin, Gray: Yukiri, Green: Kiruna, Red:
Pevara, Yellow: Corele, White: Seaine.'

Ashlynn grins at Nali.

Ashlynn says 'I just asked for the Brown!'

Nali says 'Oh, sorry I misheard you!'

Ashlynn says 'But it seems in your travels between each wing, to learn the lessons, you have made
acquaintance with each.'

Ashlynn says 'Impressive.'

Nali says 'Yes, it was an honor and privilege to learn from them.'

Ashlynn says 'I am satisfied with all of your answers so far, but I have one more question for you before
we adjourn.'

Nali says 'Yes, please.'

Ashlynn says 'Tell me what it means to be Accepted.'

Nali says 'To be an Accepted is to continue my journey through the Tower. When I first joined, I
knew I was to live as if I was already bound by the Three Oaths, to not wed or have children, to
relinquish the hold those things have on me. As a novice I would see if this life is for me. If it
wasn't, then there would be no point to continue forward and I would have to leave the Tower. I am
ready now to take the next step.'

Nali says 'I want to become an Aes Sedai, and graduate to a higher level of understanding of
studying the One Power.'

Nali says 'To be Accepted means that I am trusted to not be a danger to myself, others, and to not
embarrass the White Tower.'

Nali says 'I will also do my best to teach those that come after me and teach them what I have
learned'

Ashlynn says 'How would you ensure that you are trusted to not be a danger to yourself or others? Are
there any rules you might need to learn about?'

Nali says 'Yes. Currently, as a novice, I cannot leave the immediate area around Tar Valon. After
becoming an Accepted, I will be able to roam outwards, but there will still be limitations on how
far I can go.'

Ashlynn nods at Nali.

Ashlynn says 'There are still many rules, and it would be best to familiarize yourself with them,
specifically which lands are off limits to Journey Accepted.'

Nali says 'All areas North of the Borderlands. All areas East of Maradon. All areas West and South
of Emond's Field.'

Ashlynn nods at Nali.

Ashlynn says 'Excellent.'

Ashlynn says 'Tell me how you would ensure that you convey the message and mission of the White Tower
without embarrassing her.'

Nali says 'I would first be mindful of my actions. I have spent a lot of time learning
from the Sitters about the history and purpose of the White Tower. I would strive to embody the
values and principles of the Tower in my daily life.'

Nali says 'Second, I would choose my words and tone carefully, and avoid using language that is
disrespectful or critical to other peoples, nations, the Tower, and leadership. I understand that
my actions reflect the Tower as a whole.'

Nali says 'If there is anything you think I should add, please let me know.'

Ashlynn says 'I think that about sums it up. Regarding your advancement to Accepted, someone will contact
you with the decision within the next 24 hours.'

Nali says 'Thank you very much, Ashlynn Sedai.'

Nali says 'I will make sure to complete the orientation class again just in case and will reach out
to Accepted Bena to see if she can help me time my weaves.'

Nali curtseys before Ashlynn.

Ashlynn says 'You may now excuse yourself. Please be sure to visit Accepted Maighan in the classroom and
attend the orientation class. You should receive a paper that you give to Sheriam Sedai.'

Nali nods in agreement.

Nali says 'Thank you.'

Ashlynn says 'After that, I want you to check in with Accepted Bena and request that she teach you a bit
about fighting another channeler.'

Nali says 'I will do so immediately, thank you!'

Ashlynn says 'Following your lesson, I would like to hear a short report back from you on your progress in
learning to weave against another channeler.'

Nali says 'Yes, Ashlynn Sedai, I will do my best!'

Nali curtseys before Ashlynn.

Ashlynn says 'Let me get the door for you'

Ashlynn gestures with her hand.

The door smoothly swings open.

Nali says 'thank you!'

Ashlynn nods at Nali.

Nali curtseys gracefully.

Nali leaves north.

Ashlynn gestures at the door with her hand.

Log session ending at 17:44:39 on Sunday, 26 February 2023.

Log parsed in 0.191 seconds.
Back to the RP-lizer

Chloro

Re: Quizzing a Wearied Novice

Post by Chloro » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:56 pm

Rplizer +1 qps : 1
Extra meticulous edit +1 qps : 1
Length bonus +1-2 qps : 2
Summary: +1 qps : 1

Awards:
Ashlynn - 5
Nali - 3

Please say "RECEIVE" at a silver haired Aes sedai to be awarded.