Briefly touching on the Golden Hour

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Aelrena

Briefly touching on the Golden Hour

Post by Aelrena » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:06 pm

Summary: Aelrena asks to meet with Ashlynn Sedai regarding her most recent research topic, seeking to fulfill her curiosity with someone who has deeper knowledge on the subject. The discussion expands to encompass triage and the classification of patient need severity.
Characters: Aelrena, Ashlynn
POV: Ashlynn
*edited lightly for clarity

Someone knocks on the carveddoor from the other side.

Ashlynn gestures with her hand.

The doors smoothly swing open.

Ashlynn glances at the door and calls, 'You may enter.'

Aelrena has arrived from the north.

Aelrena curtseys before Ashlynn.

Ashlynn gestures at the door with her hand.

The door silently swings shut and lock with a soft *click*.

Ashlynn smiles at Aelrena, and motions for her to take a seat.

Aelrena dips her head to the Sitter before slipping into one of the red oak chairs, smoothing her
skirts as she does so.

Ashlynn says 'I understand you wanted to speak with me.'

Aelrena nods in agreement.

Aelrena says 'I do, Ashlynn Sedai, thank you for agreeing to meet.'

Ashlynn says 'Of course. It is sometimes difficult to make some time, considering all the drudgery that comes with being an Aes Sedai. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of excitement and good from it as well.'

Aelrena chuckles politely.

Aelrena says 'More paperwork than I can even begin to imagine, I'm certain, Ashlynn Sedai'

Ashlynn says 'Fortunately, today I was able to throw some of those papers aside, and make some time to accommodate you.'

Ashlynn points to the desk, with scattered papers, maps, and pens atop.

Ashlynn sits up on the chaise.

Aelrena says 'Endless, most definitely. Though, I suppose there are perks at the least, at having
paperwork to do.'

Ashlynn says 'I would much rather be out in the field, providing healing to the fighters of the Light. '

Ashlynn says 'Someone has to do it, and it appears that the Creator has mandated that it be my turn.'

Ashlynn says 'Like they say, the Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills. I will answer whatever call I receive.'

Aelrena nods in agreement, an amused smile crossing her face.

Aelrena says 'Yellow Ajah paperwork Aes Sedai, or something any sister would be capable of caring for?'

Ashlynn says 'Well, I was recently elected sitter. I do not know if you have been paying attention to those sorts of things. There are many responsibilities that come with the position of sitter. A lot of them involve being in the Tower for protracted amounts of time.'

Aelrena says 'I have Ashlynn Sedai. I've been trying to keep track of who is elected sitter among each of the Ajahs to understand the trends, both of who is elected, how often the seats keep the same sisters, and to understand where stronger responsibility lies.'

Ashlynn says 'I see. And what have you found?'

Aelrena says 'I haven't found anything conclusive of yet, though I believe that Lexica Sedai just
took a second term, while Catisune's seat was taken by Liia Sedai.'

Aelrena says 'I believe that Catisune Sedai held a seat for quite awhile, though I don't have an
exact frame of reference for the amount of time. '

Ashlynn nods in agreement, and lets out a slight yawn.

Aelrena says 'Ultimately, it depends on the amount of “free” time the different sisters have.'

Aelrena shakes her head, blushing slightly, "Apologies, Ashlynn Sedai. I should get to why I asked for this meeting, rather than rambling"

Ashlynn smiles at Aelrena, and nods in agreement.

Ashlynn says 'Go ahead.'

Aelrena nods, idly spinning the great serpent ring upon her finger as she speaks.

Aelrena says 'Well, I've taken an interest of late in the effects of healing. I've known since I was
a novice that I had the talent, according to both Alexis Sedai and Sheriam Sedai.'

Aelrena says 'And I've been considering the toll that healing takes upon the body, and the ways that might be mitigated in order to help those who might not otherwise survive the healing deal with the resulting shock.'

Ashlynn nods at the mention of the resulting shock.

Ashlynn says 'Healing is a great and wonderful thing. Nearly anything can be Healed. It is also true though that it does not just come from nowhere. It takes a lot of skill and energy from the Healer, but also energy and will from the patient.'

Aelrena says 'I was hoping you might be willing to discuss a few of my different ideas, though the largest part of it is using different herbs to help supplement the body.'

Aelrena nods at Ashlynn.

Ashlynn says 'Of course. Go on.'

Aelrena continues, her voice getting livelier as she begins to expound upon her thoughts, "Well, the first thought I had was using something such as light doses of Kaf, which is known for giving energy as a way to supplement healing."

Aelrena nods along to her own words, "It's known at the least, that if a woman holds Saidar when being healed some of that same toll can be taken by the One Power rather than solely coming from the recipient.”

Aelrena says 'So my theory is that while we cannot create that same circumstance in every
person, or light forbid, among men, perhaps through the use of different herbs and working with
Wisdoms we could find a way to temporarily bolster the body of an individual in order to make
healing safer and more effective'

Aelrena looks to the Aes Sedai, her expression thoughtful as well as questioning, "My mother was, or well, I suppose is, an herbalist in Caemlyn, which is part of what gave me the idea."

Ashlynn says 'That is an interesting theory. I am not quite sure whether that would work out well or not. I will say I am skeptical at first, as the effects of kaf are known to be only temporary. I would worry that the body would be using its own energy to convert the kaf into what seems like more energy...'

Aelrena nods along

Ashlynn says 'I'm not a big kaf drinker, but I've heard that if you drink a lot of it, well... After it
wears off, you could end up more tired than you started!'

Aelrena says 'Of course Ashlynn Sedai, that of course would be a consideration. But perhaps starting with smaller trials, such as healing a small cut and gauging the body's response through delving, we could determine whether it's a valid way to mitigate the effects.'

Ashlynn says 'So my worry is that by using that, you may end up with a patient in worse shape afterwards,unless you were to supplement with other concoctions. Perhaps something like flatwort tea, for example, might be better for that.'

Aelrena says 'Kaf was my first idea, I think working with a Wisdom, or a reader, or some other type of herbalist who knows herbs much better than myself would create a better first trial. Flatwort tea as you suggested could quite possibly do the trick.'

Aelrena's mouth quirks to the side, thoughtful, "Though, this could just as easily be a dead-end
that leads nowhere. I merely thought it might be an interesting idea that could save lives if it
works, Ashlynn Sedai."

Ashlynn says 'It's certainly a concept that is worth exploring. I know that wisdoms often use herbs to make poultices to help people heal, albeit more slowly, and without the aid of the One Power. Some of my sisters may think differently, preferring to only consider the use of the One Power to heal...'

Ashlynn says 'But my personal view is that we should take everything into consideration, and ensure that we have all knowledge about how to provide healing.'

Aelrena nods, listening to the Yellow Sister as she folds her hands on her lap.

Ashlynn says 'I will admit, I do not have the strongest knowledge of every herb you might find out in the woods or piece of grass growing between the cobbles. There are others who would be better suited to provide answers to some of those questions. But I try my best to learn about them, and I will try my best to answer any of your questions.'

Ashlynn says 'The value comes in a few areas...'

Ashlynn says 'What if we are stuck in a Stedding, where we cannot touch the source?'

Ashlynn nods to herself, and continues to speak.

Ashlynn says 'We may be close to exhaustion and out of our pool of the power... There may be a reason to reserve our power, and we have a few days and the stores for some poultices...'

Ashlynn says 'Any number of reasons. While we should use the power to Heal, especially in grave situations, such as if a soldier were cut by a blade from Thakan'dar... '

Ashlynn says 'There are also plenty of situations where it certainly might be more prudent in that moment to use a different means.'

Aelrena nods along, her eyes fixed upon the Aes Sedai's face as she listens quietly.

Ashlynn says 'Do you have any ideas on a situation where it might make more sense to use more traditional remedies, than the power?'

Aelrena says 'I can think of a few, Ashlynn Sedai. Though the one that comes most immediately to mind is a circumstance in which I knew that a Fade is about, who can sense our use and embracing of the One Power.'

Ashlynn nods along in agreement in a manner that says it is true.

Aelrena says 'The use of more traditional means might allow yourself and your patient to escape
without detection.'

Aelrena eats a plate of yellow peppers and pork.

Aelrena drinks water from a water skin.

Ashlynn stops resting, and stands up.

Ashlynn walks over to a silver serving platter set up near the desk.

Ashlynn gets a plate of hot stew with some bread from a silver serving platter.

Ashlynn sit down on a stout oaken chair.

Ashlynn nibbles a little bit of the food.

Aelrena's lips twitch up slightly at the corners.

Ashlynn stops using a leather water flask.

Ashlynn drinks the water.

Aelrena says 'Another example Ashlynn Sedai, would of course be in a circumstance that another could use your healing more.'

Ashlynn nibbles a little bit of the food.

Ashlynn nods at the Accepted.

Aelrena says 'If you have two patients, one of whom is moderatly injured, the other on the verge of death, it is of course best to focus your efforts upon the one who will die without your efforts.'.
Ashlynn says 'That is true. Often when a raiding party returns from the Blight, there are several
casualties. What you just described is what we call triage.'

Aelrena nods at Ashlynn.

Ashlynn says 'That is to say, we rate the patients based on their circumstances and dole out Healing based on the immediacy of their needs.'

Ashlynn says 'Have you ever heard the term, The Golden Hour?'

Aelrena's tone is a touch wry, "I've said something similar about the usefulness of choosing between different research."

Aelrena ponders life, the universe, and everything.

Aelrena says 'I cannot say that I have, Ashlynn Sedai.'

Ashlynn grins widely at Aelrena, and continues speaking.
Ashlynn emote: Ashlynn grins widely at Aelrena, and continues speaking.

Ashlynn says 'This term refers to something that was observed some time ago. It's the period of time immediately after a traumatic injury during which the likelihood that prompt treatment will prevent death.'

Aelrena nods slowly, her lips quirking to the side in thought.

Ashlynn says 'What do you know about the various types of injuries one might sustain?'

Ashlynn says 'Tell me what you know, and what of their severity.'

Aelrena says 'I know of a few, though their severity of course depends on how much damage exactly was done, assuming you mean of a severity that it can causing lasting harm.'

Ashlynn says 'Even a small cut can lead to death, in the right...'

Ashlynn pauses, considering her words.Ashlynn says 'Or wrong, circumstances, I guess.'

Ashlynn says 'Through infection or what not.'

Aelrena says 'Something such as a head injury could cause lasting harm to one's ability to think
clearly, or process information properly.'

Aelrena says 'objectively bad circumstances even?'

Ashlynn says 'Let me rephrase, or otherwise be more clear.'

Ashlynn says 'I am asking you about what injuries you know about and their severity when looked at through the lens of triage. What are we looking for to treat in the golden hour to ensure that our patients survive their injuries?'

Aelrena speaks slowly, clearly thinking of her next words carefully "Anything that has the
capability to worsen, would be my thought Ashlynn Sedai. Bleeding wounds, those who are critically injured, perhaps unconscious. From what I understand, the Golden Hour refers to those wounds that must be cared for immediately or you're most likely to lose the patient.

Ashlynn nods in agreement.
Ashlynn says 'Severe wounds, especially those that cause excessive bleeding, or internal bleeding are important to tend to immediately.'

Ashlynn says 'This is a good example of a place the power can Heal where the poultice cannot. Even if a poultice takes effect immediately, I do not believe that many, if any, could open a casualty up and apply the poultice to their insides.'

Ashlynn says 'Whereas with the power, we can delve and probe the body, find the source of the problem, and use the threads of the power to fix them good as new.'

Aelrena says 'There's more... finesse in the capability of the One Power to heal'

Aelrena says 'Perhaps scope would be a better word.'

Ashlynn says 'You can do just about anything with the One Power, it seems.'

Aelrena says 'Seems being the operative term perhaps.'

Ashlynn says 'On your way out, there is a sign or plaque. Make sure to look for it.'

Ashlynn says 'For now, tell me what else you know about triage.'

Aelrena says 'It's typically an ordered affair, something which benefits greatly from either one
person, or a group of people overseeing the exact flow of injuries and patients.'

Ashlynn stands up.

Aelrena says 'There's typically several different categories that patients would be assigned to
assign a level of severity in regards to how said flow should be arranged.'

Ashlynn says 'What do you think some of those categories might be?'

Aelrena says 'On a quick scale? Uninjured, Mild-Moderate Injury, Severe Injury, Near-death, and
Dead. '

Aelrena says 'You could of course create a numerical or color sorting system to name these, at the very least to prevent panic among those you're caring for.'

Aelrena says 'Perhaps uninjured is a 0, while near-death is a 5.'

Aelrena says 'Or a 4, if you wished to classify dead as a 5.'

Ashlynn nods along in agreement.

Ashlynn says 'I always found color coding to be most helpful.'

Ashlynn says 'You could use some ribbons tied to the patients to make it easier to visualize and
categorize.'

Aelrena says 'Then perhaps, in order, White, Green, YelloW, Red, and Black.'

Ashlynn says 'Numbers might not be everyone's strong suit, and some may be confused as to whether a higher or lower number is better, like in some dice games involving rare items.'

Ashlynn grins widely.

Ashlynn nods at her.

Aelrena nods at Ashlynn.

Ashlynn says 'Colors are something that often evoke certain feelings'

Aelrena says 'I suppose that it a fair point, and a standard system across different battlefields is
also helpful, so that other healers can integrate easily, and colors are more... intuitive.'

Ashlynn says 'Red, for example, often draws a feeling of fear or danger. Black obviously represents death.'

Ashlynn says 'Yellow, a caution. Green is a go, after all, the phrase to give the green light'

Aelrena nods at Ashlynn.

Ashlynn says 'I find your inclusion of a white or uninjured category interesting'

Ashlynn says 'Is there any reason you thought to include that?'
Aelrena says 'Sometimes uninjured parties find themselves in the tent, and in your example if a
healer were to come see a patient, those who are uninjured could wear a colored armband to signify that they either do not need care, or have received care already.
'
A silver-haired Aes Sedai says 'You have been awarded 3 rpqps by Ashlynn for path rp log'

Ashlynn cackles gleefully.

Aelrena stifles a laugh behind her hand.

Ashlynn says 'But wouldn't it do us just as well to not even bother marking them, unless they have an actual injury?'

Ashlynn says 'I would argue it would be a waste of time to do so, if they do not need treatment. They could step in, and without any ribbon, it would be obvious that they are uninjured and possibly able to help.'

Aelrena ponders life, the universe, and everything.
Ashlynn says 'What I am saying, is it has the opportunity to introduce some noise that might make us react slower, and it could possibly confuse someone.'

Aelrena says 'Perhaps, though it also allows you to differentiate between another healer who you've yet to meet and someone who is coming through.

Aelrena says 'It also allows you to tell at a glance if a patient is already under the care of
another, or if the person passing by is merely dropping off bandages, water, or only happens to be there.'

Ashlynn says 'All good arguments.'

Aelrena says 'I think that the category has a chance to be useful if used properly, or the chance to cause confusion if not thought out entirely.'

Ashlynn puts a leather water flask on your belt.

Ashlynn gets a plate of hot stew with some bread from a silver serving platter.

Ashlynn eats the food.

Ashlynn sits down on a chaise lounge.

Aelrena watches the Aes Sedai settle back onto the chaise lounge, once again spinning the ring upon her hand.

Aelrena shakes her head.

Ashlynn says 'Well, unless you have any more questions, or any other reason you wanted to see me, I should probably get back to the paperwork.'

Aelrena says 'Of course, Ashlynn Sedai'

Aelrena's lips twitch up slightly at the corners.

Aelrena stands from her chair and smooths her skirts once again before dropping into a curtsy.

Aelrena says 'Thank you for your time today.'

Ashlynn stands up.

Ashlynn says 'Of course. I look forward to seeing you again some time.'

Aelrena says 'As do I, Ashlynn Sedai'

Ashlynn gestures with her hand.

The door smoothly swings open.

Aelrena leaves north.

Sarinda

Re: Briefly touching on the Golden Hour

Post by Sarinda » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:30 pm

Base: 3
Special length bonus: 0
Rplizer: +1
Extra meticulous edit: 0
Summary: +1

Total:
Aelrena: 5 RPQPs
Ashlynn: 3 RPQPs

Please say "receive" at a silver-haired Aes Sedai for your rewards.