A refresher course for a Novice

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Sarenna

A refresher course for a Novice

Post by Sarenna » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:06 am

In this scene, Novice Faoleha asked Accepted Sarenna for any advice she might have about the test to
become Accepted. Sarenna suggested that they do a refresher of basic Tower knowledge, so they went to
the classroom to do so.

Present: Accepted Sarenna and Novice Faoleha
PoV: Sarenna

In the Classroom
A board of black slate hangs on the wall near the door, suggesting this
room is used as a classroom. The room is plain and windowless and has
enough place to seat thirty students. A dais with a desk sits at the front
of the room, where the Aes Sedai or Accepted teaching the class can sit.
[ obvious exits: W ]
Zone: White Tower Upper Floors
Door west: door

Faoleha has arrived from the west.

Sarenna nods. "Please, take a seat. I will go over some general basics, but feel free to ask specific
questions at any time."

Faoleha nods in agreement.

Faoleha finds a seat near the front.

Sarenna says 'Alright. We'll start with the very basics. Can you tell me the colors of the Ajahs, and a
basic description of what each does?'

Faoleha says 'Uh, they are the ones that match the shawl on their arms! There's Red, Green, Blue...'

Sarenna nods and listens, waiting until the Novice finishes.

Faoleha says 'White, off-white like Chloro's, and then the mud-brown ones that like the library and
researching.'

Faoleha says 'Which was always odd to me, I figured they would be the outdoorsy ones.'

Faoleha thinks hard.

Faoleha says 'I've heard rumors of Black as well, but nobody seems to want to talk about that, says
it's a bad omen.'

Faoleha thinks hard.

Faoleha starts counting the fingers on her right hand.

Faoleha says 'I think that's all of them...'

Faoleha says 'As for what they do, hrm...'

Sarenna says 'First, as a reminder, please refer to Sisters by their proper titles, so, Chloro Sedai, in
the example you gave a moment ago.'

Faoleha says 'I know the Reds hunt male channelers.'

Faoleha says 'Oh, sorry.'

Sarenna says 'It's quite alright. But it might not be if you forgot in front of the wrong Sister.'

Faoleha nods.

Sarenna smiles at her.

Sarenna says 'You forgot one.'

Faoleha says '!'

Sarenna says 'The Yellow. But please, do go on with your description of what they do.'

Faoleha says 'Oh right, the sunflower ones.'

Faoleha says 'I've heard they are good at healing.'

Sarenna nods in agreement.

Faoleha says 'I've heard the Green are the combat oriented ones.'

Faoleha says 'The White I'm really not sure of.'

Faoleha says 'And the Gray and Blue seem to confuse me.'

Faoleha says 'One is for outreach and helping the justice clans and maintaining good relations.'

Faoleha says 'And the other is something similar but not quite.'

Faoleha thinks hard.

Faoleha says 'I've heard that I can interview one of the Sisters in each of the Ajah when I'm more
experienced with the Tower.'

Faoleha says 'But I think that's a little ways in front of me for now, though I am curious.'

Faoleha says 'If you don't mind me asking, what do the White Ajah do?'

Sarenna says 'You can actually do so now. Each Ajah will give a lesson on what they do, and how they do
it. And you are also free to request an in-person interview from any Sister, depending on the time
they have available. That is best done by mail (OOC - through the forums).'

Faoleha nods.

Sarenna says 'So, I will go over them all. The Red, as you mentioned, try to capture and protect people
from male channelers. The Gray are mediators, interpreters of laws and contracts, and so on. The
Brown are scholars and researchers in any field of knowledge that draws their interest.'

Faoleha says 'Ah yes, the librarians! I knew that, and that's why they love books so much!'

Faoleha nods to herself, she must need reassurance.

Sarenna says 'The Green are the Battle Ajah, and focus on fighting shadowspawn and darkfriends, and
studying tactics and strategy to advise others. The Blue administer matters of justice, and also
seek to work on behalf of chosen causes. A cause could be whatever a Blue sister feels passionate
about working towards, and may overlap with what seems to be the role of other Ajahs. They all
overlap, to some extent.'

Faoleha thinks hard.

Faoleha says 'How does justice that the Blue Ajah handle differ from the laws and contracts of the
Gray?'

Sarenna looks thoughtful for a moment, then responds. "To my understanding, the main difference is
that the justice sought by the Blues may not always adhere to the laws of a given place. Which is
not to say they break the laws, just that they might be less concerned with abiding by them if it
sees justice served."

Sarenna says 'The Yellow Sisters have talents with Healing, and most are able to cure anything short of
death. The White are interested in matters of philosophy and logic, arithemetic, puzzles, and so
on.'

Faoleha says 'So, the Blues hunt down the wrong doers, to an extent, and the Grays mediate with the
nation afterwards to mend the relationshp?'

Faoleha says 'Sounds like a clan rivalry from my hometown...'

Sarenna says 'That could certainly be one way that it would play out, yes. But there is enough overlap
between the Ajahs that it is not entirely accurate to pin any one to a specific way of acting. For
example, while the Green are the Battle Ajah, all Sisters are trained in at least basic combat
against Shadowspawn and will fight them whenever needed. And while the Yellow are usually the best
Healers, most Sisters can heal to at least a minor degree, if not more.'

Faoleha nods.

Sarenna says 'As for the Black Ajah, I have also heard rumors of such a thing, but it is best not spoken
of. It is not a formal Ajah, and since it would represent the antithesis of what we stand for, I
hope it does not exist.'

Sarenna says 'Do you know which Ajah has had more Sisters raised to the Amyrlin Seat than any other in
the past thousand years?'

Faoleha thinks hard.

Faoleha says 'A leader needs to be strong to lead everybody to victory, so it must be the Green ajah!'

Sarenna chuckles politely.

Sarenna says 'Actually, it is the Blue. I don't think it's a conspiracy, just coincidence. But our
current Amyrlin, Siuan Sanche Sedai, is also from the Blue.'

Faoleha gasps in astonishment.

Faoleha says 'I have much to learn about about how things work in these large cities.'

Sarenna smiles happily.

Sarenna says 'Alright. The warriors which some Sisters bond with the Power to fight alongside them and
serve as protectors are called what?'

Faoleha says 'That's a warder!'

Faoleha says 'I won't forget that one again!'

Faoleha says 'it's part of the oaths!'

Faoleha puffs her chest out with pride in knowing the answer to that question!

Sarenna says 'Yes, Warder or Gaidin, which in the Old Tongue means 'Brother to Battle'.'

Sarenna says 'Do you know which Ajah allows a Sister to bond more than one Warder? And which one allows
no Warders to be bonded?'

Faoleha says 'Uh... yes, I do!'

Faoleha thinks hard.

Faoleha says 'The old tongue means battle, so it must be the Battle Ajah!'

Faoleha says 'Uh, and the one without...'

Sarenna smiles and nods. "That's correct, the Green Ajah allows Sisters to have more than one Warder."

Faoleha says 'The White -- as their focus is in the abstract that has no dealings with our physical
existance!'

Faoleha smiles happily.

Sarenna shakes her head. "I can see the reasoning there, but no. The Red Ajah do not allow Sisters to
bond Warders."

Faoleha peers closely at Sarenna; she should guard her secrets carefully...

Faoleha says 'But they hunt male channelers.'

Faoleha says 'MALE channelers, surely they would need one!'

Faoleha shivers uncomfortably.

Sarenna says 'One might think so, but I wouldn't say that to a Red Sister.'

Sarenna smiles happily.

Faoleha says 'That is...impressive, yet scary.'

Sarenna says 'Alright. Please tell me the Three Oaths.'

Faoleha says 'The first is to speak no word that is untrue.'

Faoleha says 'The second is to never use the One Power to create a weapon.'

Sarenna nods, smiling.

Faoleha says 'And the third is to only use the one power against shadowspawn, in the defense of myself, my sisters, and
my warder(s).'

Faoleha says 'That second one has confused me a bit though, if I'm honest.'

Sarenna says 'Alright. Go on, and I'll see if I can help clear it up.'

Faoleha says 'What's the difference between creating a spike of ice and using the one power to
launch it vice creating a spike of ice for use in a ballista?'

Faoleha says 'The first is allowed, and the second clearly a violation.'

Faoleha says 'But it is not so clear to me.'

Faoleha says 'And I would hate to be one of those 'oathbreakers' that the slanty eyed invaders from
the west call everybody, so I must know this!'

Sarenna says 'Hm. That is not quite the intended meaning of 'weapon' in that instance, I believe.
Especially since the ice will eventually melt. But... the intended meaning relates to the fact that
during the Age of Legends and the War of Power, Aes Sedai were known to make weapons for the purpose
of defense. And sometimes, those weapons got into the wrong hands and were used to attack and kill
innocent people. And so, as a safeguard against that happening again, we swear not to make weapons.
I've heard, though I've never seen one... that there are still some swords out there that were made
with the One Power, sometimes a thousand or more years ago, and still cut like they were made and
sharpened yesterday.'

Sarenna says 'Supposedly, you could have an Ogier pound on one with a maul, and it would damage the maul
but not even scratch the sword.'

Sarenna says 'Now, imagine the damage that could be done if such a blade found its way into the hands of
a Dreadlord, or a Darkfriend blademaster.'

Faoleha says 'But what would stop a Dreadlord from creating such a weapon for his Darkfriend
blademaster, or blademasters if it were? Wouldn't that only handicap us against them!?'

Faoleha thinks hard.

Sarenna says 'Well, to my understanding, the secrets to doing so have been lost. But part of our oath
against creating weapons means that we not try to rediscover such knowledge. If the Dark Side
manages to do so, I suppose we'll have to do our best to put a stop to it.'

Faoleha says 'Though it would be very unfortunate for a mistake to cause grave damage, like a
balista firing before it is aimed.'

Faoleha nods.

Faoleha says 'Still, it's only a problem if one were to do so to help somebody else, right? I could
do so for personal use?'

Sarenna says 'I hope that helps clear it up, at least a bit? You might speak to a Brown or Green Sister
to learn more.'

Faoleha says 'I think I will do that then, yes. Oaths are important, and I must not bring shame upon
myself or the tower for breaking one!'

Sarenna shakes her head. "No. Using the power itself in self-defense is different, especially given
that none of the weaves we use create anything permanent. If I call flames, or ice spikes, or cause
an earthquake or a sonic boom, the effects are potent, but temporary. Nothing was permanently
created."

Faoleha has a blank look upon her face...and then here eyes go wide!

Faoleha says 'wait, wait wait! you can do that?!'

Faoleha says 'Like, a staff that will stay a staff indefinitely, not returning to the earth after a
while?'

Sarenna says 'I can do some of that, yes. Not all of it. I have not focused my studies on combat weaves
so far.'

Sarenna says 'No, the elemental staves we can learn to create are temporary.'

Sarenna says 'They do eventually fade.'

Sarenna says 'As do the flaming swords.'

Faoleha says 'That's what I thought, similar to the light balls, need to recharge them.'

Faoleha sniffs sadly.

Faoleha says 'Well, that puts a whole different dimension on things. Thank you for that
perspective.'

Sarenna says 'Of course!'

Sarenna smiles. "Well, I think that's enough for now, then. So, I hope this helped. We can go over
more at any time."

Faoleha says 'Thank you for your time, it has helped.'

Sarenna says 'Anytime at all.'

Sarenna smiles happily.

Faoleha curtseys before Sarenna.

Faoleha waves.

Sarenna waves.

Faoleha leaves west.

We wrapped this up due to boot approaching and both of us needing to go to sleep.

Ashlynn

Re: A refresher course for a Novice

Post by Ashlynn » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:25 pm

Summary: +1
RP-Lizer: +1
Meticulous edits: +0
Length bonus: +1

Awards:
Sarenna +3 qps
Faoleha +1 qps

You say 'offlineaward Sarenna 3 rpqps for refresher course log '

A silver-haired Aes Sedai says 'I have recorded OFFLINE RPQPS: award sarenna 3 qps refresher course
log'

You say 'offlineaward Faoleha 1 rpqps for refresher course log'

A silver-haired Aes Sedai says 'I have recorded OFFLINE RPQPS: award faoleha 1 qps refresher course
log'

Say "Receive" at any silver-haired Aes Sedai for your award.