Interview with an Old Novice

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Ashlynn

Interview with an Old Novice

Post by Ashlynn » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:40 pm

In this log, Ashlynn Sedai notices a new girl among the Novices, that she has never met before. Upon consulting with Corele Sedai, Ashlynn realizes that the Novice has enough merits to advance to become a Wearied Novice. She calls the girl in for a surprise interview. The girl does not disappoint, but there is something odd about her, and Ashlynn Sedai finds out the Novice is not as new as she thinks.

POV: Ashlynn
Participants: Ashlynn, Niesra

Log session starting at 16:38:39 on Thursday, 16 February 2023.

Someone knocks on the carveddoor from the other side.

Ashlynn gestures with her hand.

The doors smoothly swing open.

Ashlynn glances at the door and calls, 'You may enter.'

Niesra has arrived from the north.

Niesra curtseys gracefully.

Ashlynn gestures at the door with her hand.

Niesra says 'The Light illumine all of you.'

The door silently swings shut and lock with a soft *click*.

Niesra pauses her attempt to close the door as it is woven shut.

Ashlynn smiles at Niesra.

Ashlynn says 'Good evening, child.'

Niesra chuckles slightly, 'That is a term I will grow used to I am sure.'

Ashlynn stands up from her chair at the desk, and approaches the novice.

Ashlynn says 'I was working through some papers when I noticed your progress.'

Niesra says 'Thank you Ashlynn Sedai, all good I hope?'

Ashlynn stares a piercing gaze at the novice, her green eyes drilling straight through the girl.

Ashlynn says 'Is there a reason you believe that it would not be good, my child?'

Niesra clasps her hands at her waist, remaining calm. She has obviously been through this questioning before. She says,
'I do not, perhaps others may believe that. In life, everyone has their own interpretation of what happens. What I see or
hear may not be what another does.'

Ashlynn says 'That is an excellent observation, child. And it will do you well as you progress through
the ranks.'

Niesra inclines her head in acknowledgement, before meeting the Aes Sedai's gaze. She tries her best to remain calm as if
being home again. She says, 'I will keep that in mind Aes Sedai.'

Ashlynn relaxes her gaze, and motions Niesra to take a seat in one of the beautifully crafted oak
chairs.

Ashlynn says 'Please, have a seat. We have much to discuss.'

Niesra moves. Not as graceful as others, but in the manner of a woman of the people. She takes a chair with a
little more cushion. She then says 'Thank you, Ashlynn Sedai. Mistress Laras has not waylaid her work ethic in my
absence.'

Ashlynn nods slightly at Niesra, and says 'It is good to hear that she has kept you busy with many
chores. For now, try to relax. We are not doing any chores of those sort right now.'

Niesra adopts a coy smile, wondering if the Aes Sedai knows her true age. She then says 'A small respite then,
before more work to come.'

Ashlynn says 'Speaking of small respites, would you care for some tea?'

Niesra says 'That would be a treat, may I pour?'

Ashlynn says 'Please do. I like mine with a good bit of honey.'

Ashlynn says 'It is on the silver tray, over there.'

Ashlynn points to the silver tray, set up off to the side.

Niesra rises and moves to the sideboard, picking up the copper kettle to test for warmth. It is still warm,
but not quite hot enough. She says 'If memory serves me correct, Novices must ask permission to channel?'

Ashlynn says 'You may.'

Niesra nods and embraces saidar, weaving intricate flows of air and fire in a sun pattern. The pattern of flows heats
the kettle and warms the cups at the same time. Once steam begins to rise from the kettle, she removes the flows of fire,
using air and water to draw the hot liquid from the kettle.

Niesra picks up two full tea balls. As she holds them above the cups, she channels the water through
them, speeding up the steeping. The water moves through, turning into a amber colored liquid. Placing
the balls down, she releases the Source, and picks up the honey dipper. She adds some honey to the Aes
Sedai's cup.

Niesra replaces the honey dipper where she found it, and then lifts both cups by the saucers beneath them.
She moves back to the chairs, offering Ashlynn Sedai the one with honey. She then says 'That does come in
handy when fire is not available.'

Ashlynn says 'Thank you, child.'

Ashlynn sits down on a chaise lounge.

Niesra retakes her place on the chair, sipping the the warm liquid. She says 'You are welcome.'

Ashlynn sips from the cup of tea, taking a moment to enjoy the sweetness of the honey before
swallowing it.

Ashlynn takes another sip of tea, contemplating her next words.

Ashlynn says 'Tell me, what do you think it means to be a Wearied Novice?'

Niesra places her cup back on the saucer, balancing it in her lap. She says 'I have heard this question before,
though the person asking was different. The name is self-explanatory. You are literally Wearied on a daily basis.
I remember it being vigorous days and many sleepless nights outside Mother's room attending, should one be needed.'

Ashlynn ponders life, the universe, and everything.

Ashlynn says 'Please elaborate... You heard this question before? Were you in the Tower before?'

Niesra smiles and lifts the tea to her lips, sipping once more. Now the Sedai was getting to the root
of it. She then says 'I am 364 years old, Ashlynn Sedai. Jenda Sedai was an Accepted the last time I
walked these halls.'

Niesra says 'A long time ago, I was a Tower Accepted.'

Ashlynn says 'That is an interesting piece of information. I must admit, I did not see anything about
your previous rank and station in the White Tower.'

Niesra nods, her raven colored locks dipping as she does. She says 'I was allowed to re-enter as a Novice,
slate wiped clean, due to the reason I left in the first place. Though some things, having centuries to think on
them, should remain buried.'

Ashlynn nods at Niesra, and then takes a sip of her tea.

Ashlynn says 'I prefer it a little sweeter.'

Ashlynn stands up, and walks over to the tray. She takes another dip of honey, and drops it into the
cup of tea.

Ashlynn sips the cup of tea, enjoying the sweetness.

Ashlynn says 'There are many things that go with being a Wearied Novice. What you said is true.'

Ashlynn says 'And if you have been through that stage before, I'm sure you understand that as you
progress, you take on more responsibilities. Both for yourself, and others.'

Niesra says 'I, too, once did, though in time our tastes seem to change. Though to answer your question
a bit more, I was a young and impetuous girl, who thought the world revolved around her.'

Ashlynn walks back over to the elaborate chaise lounge, and takes a seat.

Niesra says 'I know what is expected of me, though the way things happen are so far changed. In my
day, Novices traveled the world giving aid like the Accepteds. I can remember an outing with Adaire
Sedai once where we were ambushed by Seanchan.'

Ashlynn nods along as Niesra speaks, then says 'Yes, it is true. Novices used to travel the world, much
like Accepted do now. But things change. Immensely, over a century or two.'

Niesra says 'Indeed they do, that is why I returned. All the signs and changes point towards a
battle coming, perhaps not the last battle, but a battle all the same.'

Ashlynn nods at the mention of battle, herself knowing battle well.

Ashlynn says 'While the old adage "the more things change, the more they stay the same" may ring true,
there are marked differences in the responsibilities of a Wearied Novice these days.'

Niesra nods, listening to the Yellow sister as she takes another sip of tea.

Ashlynn says 'You'll enter into more vigorous studies. You'll tutor the newer girls. You'll learn more
about the Ajahs, and their missions. For the latter, much of that is the same, though you may want
to re-familiarize yourself considering the amount of time that has passed since you last roamed the
halls.'

Niesra says 'In that respect I have an advantage over the others. I have seen all of the Ajahs over
the years and out in the field, actually pursuing their goals and purposes. Three do resonate with me,
though I assume that is subject to change.'

Ashlynn nods, then says 'Yes, it is true that you must pick an Ajah, but that time is not necessarily
in the present. Potentially not even in the very near future. But all the same, it is something to consider.'

Ashlynn says 'I chose the Yellow because I have a talent for Healing, and I love my sisters dearly.'

Niesra says 'I have seen strong healers among all of the Ajahs, though Yellow is one of the three I
consider.'

Ashlynn smirks and says 'Yes, but the best healers come from the Yellow.'

Niesra says 'That is true.'

Ashlynn nods at Niesra again, and says 'Let's talk about some other topics.'

Niesra looks to the Aes Sedai, her eyes seeming to have a look of someone who has seen too much to
match her features. Then she says, 'I am more than happy to.'

Ashlynn says 'Have you viewed the roster of classes, and have you attended any? Any in particular you
enjoyed or found you learned more by attending?'

Niesra says 'I knew of most, I have not attended the one on the Yellow Ajah yet. The Gray was rather
interesting. I had touched the Compact of Ten Nations before but not in depth.'

Ashlynn says 'Tell me some more about the lesson regarding the Gray Ajah.'

Niesra says 'It was rather interesting. Instead of focusing on their main cause, it focused on the
Ajah's contributions to the White Tower over the Ages. Not many take that view on it. Yukiri Sedai
seems to think outside the box.'

Ashlynn nods in agreement, and says 'The Compact was important. It helped prevent the Shadow from
destroying the entire world. Where no nation wanted to wholly give up its sovreignty, the Gray Ajah
was able to help negotiate a treaty that was agreeable to all.'

Niesra says 'History is nice, however as much as we study it, it does not always prepare us for what
is coming. It did not prepare me to come here once again. Being present, and watching events did.'

Niesra says 'The invasion from the west. The trollocs raiding further south into the Borderlands.
Fades making it into Andor and Amadicia. Those I find more interesting, as I can effect this with the
right authority.'

Ashlynn sips some of the honeyed tea.

Ashlynn says 'Have you attended Accepted Maighan's orientation class?'

Niesra says 'I have. Other Accepted used to take turns teaching the same. I once taught it myself to
a full class.'

Ashlynn says 'What is your take on her class in comparison to the class you took and or taught in the
past?'

Niesra reflects pulling the old class from her memory. She says 'It gives the bare minimum. We used to teach
defensive points, basic weaving and releasing when needed. The laws in Tear and the cost of entering with a
light ball woven. Sometimes things change for the bette. I am not sure that is true for that class'

Ashlynn says 'For some of that, perhaps. For other topics, I would ask if it matters. If a Novice cannot
leave the island, what good is the knowledge about the laws of Tear? That's simply one example, though.'

Ashlynn says 'Providing better information about staying safe would be a great addition. '

Ashlynn says 'Moving on... Do you remember the Three Oaths? List them, please.'

Niesra says 'To speak no word that is not true.'

Niesra says 'To make no weapon for which one man could kill another.'

Niesra says 'Never to use the one power as a weapon unless in the last defense of my life, that of
another sister, or my warder. If bonded that is.'

Ashlynn says 'Very good.'

Ashlynn says 'It is important to know the Three Oaths. It is even more important to live them everyday,
as if you were bound to them.'

Niesra says 'I have tried to live them since I left here long ago, the First Oath is always the
hardest. '

Ashlynn says 'Why do you think that is?'

Niesra smiles and takes a final sip of her tea. She says 'When you look as young as we do, yet everyone
around you ages, you have to move eventually. This keeps questions from coming up. Not making an alias
is hard if you haven't practiced at it.'

Ashlynn says 'That is an interesting take. One I have not heard before. Most girls say it's the Second,
or the Third Oath. And when they say the First, it's not for the reason you provided. Those girls
might be 16, or 17. Maybe in their 20s. Not their 300s.'

Niesra says 'Age, provides a new outlook on life. '

Ashlynn says 'Please give me a quick top down on the hierarchy of the White Tower.'

Niesra says 'The one that is seen inside, or the one that is seen to to the outside world?'

Niesra lets a coy smile touch her face for a moment, before turning back to calm.

Ashlynn snickers softly.

Ashlynn smiles and quickly regains her calm and serene demeanor.

Ashlynn says 'I am speaking to who is the woman we affectionately refer to as Mother, and who is below
her, and so on.'

Ashlynn says 'Who is in charge of the Gaidin, who runs the kitchens, the Tower Guard, et cetera.'

Niesra nods understanding it is the outside view. She says 'Mother, Siuan Sanche, she leads the Aes Sedai,
her Keeper, Lelaine, is second to her, and outside of her warder her first line of defense. Just below
Mother and equal to Lelaine Sedai is the Hall of the Tower. 3 Sitters from each Ajah have the ability
dispose in grievous circumstances.'

Ashlynn nods at Niesra, satisfied with her answer.

Niesra says 'Though.'

Niesra says 'It could be said that from inside, as no one is from all Ajahs, and none except Mother, that
the Ajah heads run the White Tower. I do not know if this is true yet, but it would be a fun project to
find out.'

Ashlynn says 'That sounds like a wonderful idea for a research project.'

Niesra says 'One I am sure that others may not appreciate.'

Niesra chuckles and thinks over the uproar it could bring.

Ashlynn grins wryly at Niesra, knowing that sentiment is probably true.

Ashlynn says 'And what of the others I mentioned? The Kitchens, the Gaidin, and the Tower Guard?'

Ashlynn says 'All interact with each other in running the White Tower and the city. It is important to know who is in
charge of each.'

Niesra says 'Mistress Laras rules the kitchens with a iron grip on her wooden spoon. Hammar Gaidin
is the current Guardian of the Flame, though Coulin Gaidin leads the younglings in their training.'

Niesra says 'Gutrane is the current High Captain of the Tower Guard.'

Ashlynn says 'Excellent.'

Ashlynn says 'You have been gone for a long time. There were some renovations to the White Tower what
seems like an Age ago now.'

Ashlynn says 'Have you familiarized yourself with the layout and what can be found on each level? Please
give me a quick tour, without leaving this room.'

Niesra says 'Yes, I find the gates at the entrances a small nuisance. I was told attacks on the
White Tower have increased?'

Ashlynn nods, frowning slightly. She says 'Yes, it's true. Just the other day, a dreadlord was found in
the Gray wing.'

Niesra says 'On the ground floor, in the west we have the Visitor's wing. To the northeast, the door
to the dungeons. In the southeast, you have the kitchen and the entrance to the Warder's practice
yard. Through the north entrance is the library.'

Niesra says 'On the first floor, starting in the southeast, you have the ballot room and treasury. Just west
of that is Mother's office and anteroom. To the west of it is the Hall of the Tower. To the extreme west, in
the corner is Sheriam Sedai's office. To the extreme north are the classrooms. Both Novice and Accepted quarters
can be found on this floor.'

Niesra says 'The second floor belongs to the Ajahs and their offices.'

Ashlynn nods in agreement.

Ashlynn says 'How many stairwells are there?'

Niesra says 'Three. Not including the kitchens and the bowels of the Tower.'

Ashlynn says 'Are there not four? There is one between each Ajah wing, Green and Blue, Yellow and White,
Red and Gray. And also one at the foot of the Brown?'

Niesra says 'Forgive me Aes Sedai, I view that as a staircase. As well, I view it as connecting more
than one floor.'

Ashlynn smiles softly, not wanting to debate the semantics.

Ashlynn says 'I see. I didn't really think about it that way. There is also the ramp.'

Ashlynn says 'Excellent, excellent.'

Ashlynn says 'Let me ask you, and you probably know this from days of old, but what do you know about
weave experimentation?'

Ashlynn says 'Is it encouraged, is it frowned upon?'

Niesra says 'It varies by the Sedai you are speaking with, however, it is generally frowned upon for
those below the rank of Tower Accepted.'

Ashlynn takes a smooth disc from her bag, and shows it to Niesra.

Ashlynn says 'If you were to find something like this laying around, would you try to channel into it or
otherwise test it?'

Niesra says 'A less experienced Novice would more than likely say yes. I would not, unless in the
presence of a Sister and directed to. I have seen the consequences of such matters of experimentation
first hand.'

Ashlynn frowns at the mention of seeing the consequences first hand.

Ashlynn says 'Hopefully no one was hurt. Tell me a little bit about what happened.'

Niesra says 'The woman lost her life. It was in Amadicia, as I was traveling through. A girl no more
than twenty, a wilder by our standards, found a red rod in a trash heap. She was unskilled. I cannot
say if it was the angreal or her overchanneling that consumed her, but all that remains of her is dust
now.'

Ashlynn says 'An important lesson to learn, and a terrible way to learn it. Well, that knowledge does not
serve her anymore. But it certainly serves you. I don't think I need to warn you anymore about being
mindful of channeling around or into strange objects. There are stones that litter the landscape.
When you channel near one, you might be transported to other places or dimensions. No one is sure
for certain. But you just as well may be stilled or even killed. I lament that you had to see that,
but it is a fierce reminder that you must be mindful of the use of the One Power.'

Niesra says 'I have also seen the work of Cera. I am well aware of the dangers.'

Ashlynn says 'Great. One last thing before we adjourn. I would like to see you weave something. Perhaps a
light ball?'

Ashlynn senses Niesra connecting to the True Source.

Ashlynn senses Niesra is channeling saidar.

The room becomes brighter as Niesra creates a ball of light above her hand.

Ashlynn senses Niesra connecting to the True Source.

Niesra says 'Releasing the weave is almost as important as weaving it.'

Ashlynn nods in agreement.

Ashlynn says 'Especially before you enter Tear, as you mentioned much earlier'

Ashlynn says 'Something I liked to do, was to practice changing the color of the light ball.'

Ashlynn says 'Have you ever thought to do that? perhaps use a little bit of water to make it more bluish
than white?'

Niesra says 'I can juggle them if you like as well. Light balls were a way to earn my dinner once or
twice. Though I would love to learn the damane skylights. I have seen them from a distance.'

Ashlynn smiles at Niesra. She then says 'Maybe another time. I just realized I have some things I need
to tend to.'

Niesra nods and gathers her cup, along with the Aes Sedai's empty cup, to take to the kitchen.

Ashlynn says 'Sister let us recognize novice Niesra'

Corele Hovian says 'It is done.'

Niesra says 'Thank you Ashlynn Sedai.'

Ashlynn says 'You are welcome. I enjoyed speaking with you immensely. I look forward to greater things to
come. You may leave.'

Ashlynn gestures with her hand.

The door smoothly swings open.

Niesra says 'Thank you Ashlynn Sedai. The Light illumine you. '

Ashlynn says 'The Light Illumine you, child'

Niesra stands and curtsies to the Sedai present before leaving.

Niesra leaves north.

Log session ending at 18:36:05 on Thursday, 16 February 2023.

Log parsed in 0.189 seconds.
Back to the RP-lizer

Fyra

Re: Interview with an Old Novice

Post by Fyra » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:53 pm

RP-Lizer: +1
Meticulous edits: +1
Length bonus: +2
Summary: +1

Awards:
Ashlynn +5 qps
Niesra +3 qps

* HP:Healthy SP:Bursting MV:Fresh >

A silver-haired Aes Sedai says 'I have recorded OFFLINE RPQPS: award ashlynn 5 qps
old novice interview rp log'

A silver-haired Aes Sedai says 'I have recorded OFFLINE RPQPS: award niesra 3 qps old
novice interview rp log'

Please say "receive" at any silver-haired Aes Sedai to receive your award.