A Round Table Discussion

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Chloro

A Round Table Discussion

Post by Chloro » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:04 am

Chloro Sedai summons a few of the lower ranks to discuss tower life, the oaths, and how to properly guide through the rosebud exercise.

View of: Chloro
Participants: Chloro, Aelrena, Amilesa, Sarenna
Cameo: Annoura

Log session starting at 22:13:45 on Thursday, 19 January 2023.

Meeting Room of the Gray Ajah
Large, leaded glass windows surround the room on all sides, save the
southern where a large doorway leads out into a antechamber. The room
itself is dominated by a large wooden table around which sits at least
fifty matching chairs, something close to a record for the White Tower. In
the middle of the table are an assortment of unused parchments, quill pens
and stoppered ink jars. A small stand off to one side of the room holds a
large number of glass cups and a large pitcher of chilled water. An
inscription in fine lettering is etched upon the windows.
[ obvious exits: E ]
Zone: White Tower Upper Floors
Door east: door
A chair made of red oak rests next to the table. [4]
A large round table built from black oak dominates the center of the room.
A woman with an ageless face stands here.
A young girl in a plain white dress stands here.
A silver-haired Aes Sedai sits here, reading.
A Gray Sister walks here, considering her options.
Annoura Larisen is here, weighing your words.

Someone knocks on the carveddoor from the other side.

The carveddoor is opened from the other side.

Amilesa has arrived from the east.

Sarenna has arrived from the east.

Amilesa curtseys before you.

Chloro nods in agreement.

Amilesa closes the carveddoor.

Sarenna curtseys before you.

You emote: Chloro motions to the large round table, "Be seated novices."

Sarenna takes a seat at the table. "Thank you, Aes Sedai."

Amilesa gives a chair a half-circle before sitting.

Someone knocks on the carveddoor from the other side.

The carveddoor is opened from the other side.

Aelrena has arrived from the east.

Aelrena glides into the room, and drops into a deep curtsy before the Aes Sedai, spreading her banded dress wide.

Amilesa glances at the door, and then rises once more.

Amilesa curtseys before Aelrena.

Aelrena's lips turn up slightly at the corners.

Sarenna stands and curtseys before Aelrena, then sits again.

Chloro nods and inclines her head in greeting to the Accepted." Ah good, not to far into the books yet."

Amilesa regains her seat, side-by-side with the other Novice.

Chloro motions towards the table for the Accepted to be seated as she gracefully glides to her own high backed chair.

Aelrena says 'Of course not, Chloro Sedai. I'm never too far into the history books to answer the summons of an Aes Sedai.'

Aelrena's slides over to a chair at the table, gently arranging her skirts as she takes a seat and folds her hands in her lap.

Amilesa wiggles slightly in the chair before settling.

Chloro looks at the three initiates. "How fortunate to have one of each rank another wishes to attain in the room."

Sarenna smiles at this, and nods.

Amilesa beams a smile at the Accepted sitting with them.

Chloro says 'Tell me Sarenna what does it mean to be wearied?'

Aelrena says 'The goal any novice should aspire to, one might think.'

Amilesa looks over at the fellow Novice as she responds.

Sarenna says 'A Wearied novice, from my understanding, is one who knows well the layout of the Tower, and the island, and is well-versed in the chores and responsibilities expected of Novices, Chloro Sedai.'

Aelrena tells you 'Noted, good for me to continue working on the side then :D'

Amilesa looks back at the carved doors after hearing a sharp sound.

Chloro looks to the Novice her face serene calm as she looks to Amilesa "Is this true Wearied Novice Amilesa, or is the answer more in depth?"

Aelrena's eyes slide between the two novices, her expression inscrutable.

Amilesa says 'Another answer to the question could be that one has learned how to begin to channel with the one power safety and and has learned how to adjust to the life of thw White Tower, which from a tactical point of view, would include what Sarenna says.'

Sarenna nods, looking thoughtful.

Chloro chuckles and nods to both the novices. "Very diplomatically put. Accepted do you have anything to Add?

Amilesa glances over at Sarenna and nods to her slightly.

Aelrena nods along, her mouth quirking slightly to the side, "I would merely add that it's the duty of a Wearied Novice to help the other novices feel more at home and acclimate to the Tower as a whole. To be a support for those below."

Chloro looks to each of the girls initiates and smiles warmly, "A satisfactory answer from each. Now Amilesa can you tell me what it means to be Accepted?"

Amilesa catches herself looking at the inscription on the window before returning her full attention back to the Aes Sedai.

Amilesa says 'From what I have learned, Accepted have committed themselves to the path to the Shawl, and have gained a manner of control over their channeling. They strive to learn the lessons that they may be called on to use in the future. The emulate the ways of the Aes Sedai, when appropriate, to study, learn, and serve the Tower.'

Aelrena's expression changes to one of interest, her umber eyes alight as she gazes at the questioned novice.

Chloro says 'Aelrena?'

Amilesa watches the Accepted from the side chair, listening as she explains.

Aelrena says 'In the words of another I was once told in the same position, "To become Accepted is to have weighed the option and to give up the life that could have been. To bind yourself to the Tower wholy and utterly. To bind yourself to aid your fellow Accepted and to teach those girls who come after you."'

Aelrena continues, her fingers slowly turning the great serpent ring upon her finger.

Amilesa nods along with the Accepted at a couple key points.

Sarenna listens carefully, her expression thoughtful.

Chloro says 'Well said, many Aes Sedai over the years have said the same. That is the price of being Accepted, forgoing any other life you could have had, motherhood, marriage, a quiet life.'

Chloro says 'Now Aelrena, a real question, and Novices pay close attention to this. What does it mean to be Aes Sedai?'

Amilesa watches the Accepted without much expression on her face.

Aelrena nods slowly, her expression thoughtful.

Aelrena says 'A question I believe many sisters would perhaps answer differently Chloro Sedai. But the heart of what it means to be Aes Sedai is to serve, after all, that is the translation for the name itself. Servant of All.'

Chloro says 'Then pray tell, what does it mean to you?'

Aelrena says 'No matter the Ajah of the sister in question, the heart of every sister is service to the Tower, service to the world, and service to the pattern itself, rather than focus upon the concerns of a single person.'

Amilesa lets her hand dangle beside the chair, next to Sarenna's.

Chloro looks the Accepted with her cool gray eyes weighing and measuring the initiate who seeks the very thing they speak of.

Aelrena dips her head to the Aes Sedai, her own umber eyes meeting the sister's.

Amilesa gives Sarenn'a hand a quick squeeze before releasing it again.

Aelrena says 'Chloro Sedai, to me being Aes Sedai means guiding those who come after. It means creating and maintaining a wealth of knowledge for those who come after us. It means being a shield for those who are not capable of defending themselves, and it means being a healing balm to those who need it.'

Sarenna returns the squeeze and offers Amilesa a smile before returning her attention to the Accepted and Full Sister.

Amilesa purses her lips and nods at the description of shielding those in need.

Chloro says 'You describe more than the Brown Ajah in your statement, I am glad of that. Now one Ajah raises a woman to the shawl, the tower does. A lesson for each of you to remember. In service we may fill the roles of other Ajahs in order to maintain what is needed.'

Aelrena nods in agreement.

Sarenna nods in agreement.

Amilesa nods.

Chloro says 'Novice Amilesa would you please guide Novice Sarenna through the rose bud exercise. '

Amilesa says 'Yes, Aes Sedai.'

Amilesa scoots her chair so that it faces Sarenna.

Sarenna smiles, giving Amilesa her full attention.

Amilesa says 'The Rosebud exercise is a tradition here in the tower. It is a lesson to aid you in connecting with Saidar.'

Chloro watches the novices intently. "Aelrena as you seek the shawl, you will supervise this exercise."

Sarenna nods in understanding.

Aelrena nods along, opening her eyes to look upon the two novices, her head cocking to the side as she listens.

Amilesa says 'It is part meditation and part focus. Relaxation and instruction.'

Annoura Larisen says 'You are not Gray Ajah.'

Amilesa says 'Saidar is not a force you can control. You must open yourself up to it.'

You emote: Chloro looks to Annoura, "Ever the astute one."

Aelrena chuckles quietly under her breath.

Amilesa takes a deep breath in, indicating her fellow Novice should mirror her.

Sarenna takes a slow, deep breath.

Chloro Watches all three girls noting the body language and breath of each.

Amilesa says 'First, relax your mind. Clear your thoughts and do not be distracted.'

Amilesa says 'To do this, close your eyes. You will use the sound of my voice to guide you.'

Sarenna closes her eyes as instructed, but seems to tense up for a moment, her forehead crinkling as if she's concentrating, but she seems to realize that this is the opposite of what she needs to be doing, and she begins to relax.

Aelrena dips her head slightly, the tail at the back of her head bouncing with the movement.

Amilesa says 'Do not worry, Sarenna, I am here for you.'

Amilesa says 'In your mind, clear away your other thoughts and worries. Imagine a blank slate before you.'

Amilesa breaths in with a deep, exaggerated breath as instruction.

Amilesa says 'Now, imagine a flower before you, not yet blossomed in the spring.'

Aelrena's eyebrows twitch ever so slightly, and she leans forward by the barest inch as she watches the novices.

Sarenna slowly lets her breath out, and takes another long, deep breath.

Amilesa says 'But the flower isn't in front of you. YOU are the flower.'

Chloro places herself on the brink of embracing motioning with a quick hand sign for the Accepted to do the same.

Amilesa says 'As you breath, the flower pulses, ready to grow.'

Aelrena brings herself to the brink of embracing the source, nodding to the Aes Sedai's gesture, continuing to watch the girls.

Sarenna nods slowly, her lips moving as she silently repeats, "I am the flower."

Amilesa says 'Now, feel deep inside of yourself for the warmth that the flower needs to blossom.'

Aelrena's eyebrows quirk up once again, though she remains quiet.

Sarenna exhales and inhales, the breaths slow but rhythmic.

You sense Sarenna connecting to the True Source.

Amilesa says 'Once you sense it, turn the flower towards it. Bathe in its warmth until your petals release.'

Sarenna smiles, her cheeks becoming flushed as she feels the warmth spread through her as she embraces saidar.

Amilesa smiles with satisfaction.

Chloro maintains her near embrace mind set as she watches how the novice re-acts to embracing.

Amilesa says 'Sister, that is Saidar. If you have never touched it before, you may use this technique until you can achieve it at will.'

Amilesa continues to intone.

Chloro nods to Aelrena to correct the novice and finish the exercise.

Aelrena interjects quietly, though her voice as a touch of steel to it, "With supervision.

Sarenna opens her eyes, and nods at Aelrena. "I understand, Accepted."

Amilesa says 'Saidar is like a river. Now that you are connected with you, you can work with it for many wonderous things.'

Amilesa coughs as she notices she changed lectures.

Aelrena chuckles politely.

Aelrena shakes her head.

Amilesa moves her chair to face the desk once more, sparing an assuring smile with Sarenna.

Sarenna turns her attention back to Amilesa and smiles. "Thank you, Amilesa. Having you guide me helped... it made it easier to allow saidar to flow through me."

Aelrena says 'Of course, you shall learn to more easily embrace the source with time, though that is not the hardest part of channeling the One Power.'

Chloro looks to Amilesa, "One thing that must be made clear. The title of sister is reserved for the shawl only. As this is the first time I have heard it this will be a warning for future. Do not use the term of sister to address your fellow initiates."

Amilesa says 'My apologies, Aes Sedai, I had been told my fellow Novices were my sisters.'

Sarenna nods her understanding at Aelrena, then at Chloro Sedai regarding the warning.

Chloro says 'In learning, however until they gain the shawl referring to such in this community is taboo.'

Amilesa nods in understanding.

Aelrena tells you 'My bad.'

Chloro says 'Now we reverse the roles. Sarenna please guide Amilesa through embracing, you may use any techique you are familar with. Aelrena will supervise.'

Aelrena tells you 'I just need 8 more me's so that I have time to do all the things I want.'

Sarenna nods. "Yes, Chloro Sedai."

Aelrena says 'Child, you should also release the source before beginning your instruction.'

Aelrena nods to to Sarenna.

Sarenna says 'I have done so, Accepted.'

Amilesa turns to face Sarenna once more.

Sarenna looks at Amilesa and smiles. "Please close your eyes, and focus on the sound of my voice."

Amilesa closes her eyes hard and purses her lips.

Sarenna lowers her voice, and gently says, "I'd like you to focus your breathing, as follows. Inhale for a count of four, hold it for four, exhale for four, and wait for four, then repeat."

Amilesa inhales deeply, her white dress rustles at the change.

Amilesa releases a large breath of air gently.

Amilesa places a hand on her hip as she inhales deeply once more.

Chloro watches the Accepted closely from a distance as she observes the novices.

Amilesa exhales into the room, her eyes still firmly shut.

Sarenna breathes along with her fellow Novice, to help her find the rhythm. "I'd like you to imaginea flame. It can look like whatever you'd like. A bonfire, a cozy fire in a fireplace... whatever comes easily to mind. Once you see the flame, I'd like you to begin to feed your thoughts to it, until your mind is empty of all but the flame itself."

Aelrena's dark brown eyes move slowly between the girls, her great serpent ring slowly being spun about upon her finger as she watches and listens.

Amilesa furrows her brow before her face returns normal.

Amilesa nods, the type of flame firmly set in her mind.

Sarenna quietly says, "You needn't use effort to feed the flame. Just allow your thoughts to drift into the flame, as if it is inevitable."

Aelrena's head dips slightly with the statement, though her eyes never leave the girls.

Amilesa breath in slightly one last time, exhales, and nods slightly.

Sarenna says 'As your thoughts enter the flame, imagine it getting warmer and warmer, like adding wood to a real fire.'

Amilesa absently bites her lip, but still relaxed and focused on the exercise.

You sense Amilesa connecting to the True Source.

Amilesa's corner of her lips rise slightly.

Chloro nods watching the senior Novice.

Sarenna smiles as she senses the senior Novice embrace the source.

Amilesa says 'I hadn't been instructed with the exercise yet, Sarenna.'

Amilesa with a wistful look, she releases once more.

Chloro says 'A lesson to you both, there are as many techniques to embrace as their are women who can channel in the world.'

Sarenna says 'It is something my mother taught me as a girl, to help still my mind for sleep. My father told me that it is sometimes used by soldier, or hunters... people who need to remove all distractions from their minds."'

Amilesa nods at Sarenna with approval.

Aelrena says 'Unique to my own experience as well, though it clearly helped you focus enough to embrace the source.'

Aelrena says 'Well done, both of you.'

Chloro says 'A final part of this lesson then we shall be done. Amilesa recite the three oaths.'

Amilesa says 'I wonder what type of flame you envision says about oneself.'

Sarenna nods her thanks at Aelrena with a smile.

Amilesa nods at the Aes Sedai and begins reciting the Three Oaths verbatim.

Amilesa says 'The first Oath is 'To speak no word that is not true.''

Amilesa says 'The Second Oath is 'To make no weapon with which one man may kill another.''

Amilesa says 'The Third Oath is 'Never to use the One Power as a weapon except against Darkfriends or Shadowspawn, or in the last extreme defense of my life, the life of my Warder, or another Aes Sedai''

Chloro nods reciting them with her own inner voice along with the novice. 'Which do you think is the hardest to live by?'

Amilesa considers each one carefully, as one considers a weapon in a fight.

Aelrena nods quietly, her eyes sliding over to the window, her expression one of deep thought before she refocuses upon the conversation.

Sarenna watches and listens carefully, clearly interested in Amilesa's response.

Amilesa says 'I would envision the Second, Oath, Aes Sedai.'

Aelrena arches an eyebrow.

Chloro regards the novice with some respect before speaking 'Please do enlighten us as to why?"

Amilesa says 'It restricts what you can do with the One Power if your mind could envision a use of it as a weapon.'

Aelrena's lips purse as she considers the novice.

Amilesa says 'There are ways to speak around the First Oath, and clear lanes in the road with the third. The...fluidity of the Second Oath is where I think would be the hardest.'

Chloro says 'That is not a common answer, it shows growth to have this view of an oath. Evening healing can be considered a weapon if done on someone who refuses it. The interpretation of the oath lays with the Aes Sedai weaving. What is a weapon to one may not be to another.'

Amilesa says 'Also, I think that, as a Servant-of-All, there is a drive to make things that can aid others in our fight against the Dark One.'

Aelrena watches the novice, her head slowly nodding and her lips twisting from their purse into clear thought.

Sarenna gives a thoughtful nod and smiles.

Aelrena speaks up quietly, "Do you think that you yourself would be considered a weapon by the very nature of your training?"

Chloro says 'Though this explination fits the third oath best, the second can be touched by it as well.'

Amilesa says 'I think that argument could certainly be made, Accepted Aelrena.'

Aelrena chuckles politely.

Amilesa says 'But, as you wouldn't be causing inception with the One Power, it is likely more philosphical rather than restrictive.'

Aelrena says 'Merely intending to further underline the idea that perception is important.'

Chloro nods seeing the three imitates have found some common ground.

Sarenna nods in agreement. "That's definitely something to think on."

Chloro says 'This lesson is closed for now. You are all dismissed Sarenna do not go far.'

Amilesa hastily rises from her chair and curtsies.

Sarenna stands and curtseys.

Amilesa leaves east. >>

Sarenna leaves east. >>

Aelrena gracefully rises from her seat, dropping into a curtsy before the Aes Sedai.

Aelrena says 'Thank you for your time, Aes Sedai.'

Aelrena leaves east. >>

Log session ending at 23:26:07 on Thursday, 19 January 2023.

Ashlynn

Re: A Round Table Discussion

Post by Ashlynn » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:04 am

Summary: +1
RP-Lizer: +1
Meticulous edits: +1
Length bonus: +2

Awards:
Chloro +5 qps
Aelrena +4 qps
Amilesa +4 qps
Sarenna +4 qps

Ashlynn says 'offlineaward Chloro 5 rpqps for round table discussion log'

A silver-haired Aes Sedai says 'I have recorded OFFLINE RPQPS: award chloro 5 qps round table
discussion log'

Ashlynn says 'offlineaward Aelrena 4 rpqps for round table discussion log'

A silver-haired Aes Sedai says 'I have recorded OFFLINE RPQPS: award aelrena 4 qps round table
discussion log'

(tic_timer): Tic in 7 seconds!

Ashlynn says 'offlineaward Amilesa 4 rpqps for round table discussion log'

A silver-haired Aes Sedai says 'I have recorded OFFLINE RPQPS: award amilesa 4 qps round table
discussion log'

Ashlynn says 'offlineaward Sarenna 4 rpqps for round table discussion log'

A silver-haired Aes Sedai says 'I have recorded OFFLINE RPQPS: award sarenna 4 qps round table
discussion log'

Say "Receive" at the silver-haired Aes Sedai for your award.

Excellent log. I awarded the girls an extra merit for providing top notch answers and for demonstrating their ability to teach an exercise for embracing saidar.