Evaluating Research Methods and Lesson Plans

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Gesin

Evaluating Research Methods and Lesson Plans

Post by Gesin » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:30 pm

Aelrena, an Apprentice to Catisune Sedai, continues to get feedback from Aes Sedai on her current project, researching AMyrlins and to hold a class on the topic. Aelrena Reaches out to Gesin Sedai to for brainstorming on agenda topics. Gesin sends her off with some biographies on the subject and some ideas to help her with her research methodology. The Brown Ajah Archivists got their hand on the transcript before punlishing.

Main Characters: Gesin and Aelrena

Study of the Brown Ajah
Tall, arched windows in the northern wall open to a balcony, providing a
choice view of the Erinin as it flows south from the Borderlands. Half the
seating in the room is drawn up around the windows, showing that the
occupants appreciate the panorama. The remaining seats are drawn up in
circles of six to eight, allowing Brown Sisters to discuss the furtherance
of knowledge, or new theories in an informal atmosphere. Colorful wall
hangings depicting still lifes decorate the pale white walls.
[ obvious exits: S ]
A large desk made of fine, thick wood stands across the room from here.
Aelrena Solyan, Tower Accepted is standing here.
A silver-haired Aes Sedai sits here, reading.
A Brown Sister is here, frowning pensively.
Danelle Sedai, sitter for the Brown Ajah stands here deep in thought.

Aelrena has arrived from the south.

close carveddoor

Aelrena curtseys gracefully.

Gesin looks up at the entrance and sets aside what she was working on.

Aelrena drops into her curtsy and then pulls a plate of food as well as tea from behind her back.

Gesin says 'Ah, Accepted Aelrena. Good Afternoon.'

Aelrena says 'Good afternoon Gesin Sedai, I brought a meal up from the Kitchens, if you're interested?'

Danelle hands gesin a sheet of paper listing several items ( Gesin )

Gesin says 'Thank you, but no, I prefer my dinner in my chambers.'

Gesin says 'It says here we have a scheduled lesson regarding your research.'

Gesin motions towards the chairs in front of the desk.

Aelrena says 'Of course Gesin Sedai. I can make sure that it goes back to the kitchen when we finish here.'

Aelrena dips into another curtsy before placing the plate and tea upon the window sill, before sliding into a chair.

Gesin waits for the Accepted to get settled, then entwines her fingers together in a steeple.

Aelrena says 'Yes Gesin Sedai, I've been trying to speak to a few different Aes Sedai about the Amyrlin Seat, the requirements of such, the duties, and the... traits I suppose might be the best term for it.'

Aelrena says 'Keshara Sedai had many interesting thoughts I hadn't considered, though I'm not certain they're currently important given our own conversation'

Gesin nods her head along with the description.

Gesin says 'Please expound on that.'

Players
-------
Antonio Vincetti, Queen's Guard Applicant WANTED
Lady Naji Iris Shal'nara [Brown Ajah]
Lady Callesa the Honored Sister [Brown Ajah]
Aelrena Solyan, Tower Accepted [White Tower]
Lady Sarinda the Honored Sister [Red Ajah Sitter]
Lady Gesin Garvedian [Brown Ajah]
Yrina of Saldaea
Lord Adael Le'Ada, Knight of the Rose Crown, Captain of Queen Morgase's Elite [Queen's Guard]
Torvian the Heart Guard [Red Eagle]
Lord Randal the Gaidin Master [Gaidin]
Athroc Mal'jinn
Lord Tolveor the Captain of the Wall [Wall Guard]
Chloro the Elder Sister [Gray Ajah Sitter]
Lord Draz the Gaidin Commander [Gaidin Blademaster] (Linkless)
Ashlynn Alessandri [Yellow Ajah]
Lorrah of Arafel

16 players displayed.

Aelrena says 'Well Gesin Sedai, during my research into the time of Hawkwing I came to a rather interesting discovery, at least, one that I myself had not considered before then.'

Gesin grabs a rather large stein of water and drinks from it.

Aelrena says 'Much, though of course not all, of what happened between the Tower and Hawkwing can be laid at the feat of the Red Amyrlin Bohnwin.'

Gesin says 'Indeed. She attempted to use playbooks that had worked in the past, but were not successful on the young king.'

Aelrena says 'Which then lead me down the research hole of trying to figure out exactly what marks an Amyrlin as great, and if it was merely a result of who she was as a person, a mistake on the Tower's part to control her, or if it was a matter of forgetting the meaning of her office.'

Aelrena says 'Which then of course, lead to my current predicament of defining exactly what, the Amyrlin is and is supposed to be.'

Aelrena nods in agreement.

Gesin nods along.

Aelrena says 'Was that sufficient to explain, Gesin Sedai, or would you like me to expound further?'

Gesin says 'I of course have a few thoughts on the research, but please, I want to make sure you have the chance to make your case.'

Gesin says 'But the answer to your question, I think you covered the problem space quite well.'

Aelrena nods to the Aes Sedai's response, her lips briefly turning up in a smile before she clasps her hands in her lap.

Gesin says 'If you'll indulge me, I would like to take a look at the mechanics of the research on this topic.'

Gesin holds her finger briefly to her cheek.

Aelrena says 'Of course Gesin Sedai.'

Gesin says 'I think it is so easy, especially as a Historian, to derive conclusions after-the-fact. When all facts have been laid out and the deeds done.'

Gesin purses her lips.

Gesin says 'I am no White Sister, but I'd also like to inspect the end-result classification of a Great Amyrlin, or not.'

Aelrena says 'I can understand that, I believe that Keshara Sedai had the same thought process at taking a look at such.'

Aelrena says 'Or well, her thought process resulted in taking a look at it, I doubt the exact process was the same.'

Gesin walks over to a bookshelf and picks up a catalog of books.

Gesin chuckles and says 'I remember Keshara Sedai as an Accepted. She was very process-oriented. I believe that.'

Aelrena slowly and idly spins the great serpent ring on her finger, her eyes following the Aes Sedai.

Gesin hands Aelrena the list of biographies.

Gesin says 'I am sure in your research you have already seen a number of these books in the Third Depository, biographies of the Amyrlins.'

Aelrena unclasps her hands and leans forward to take the list, resting it gingerly on her lap as she scan through it before looking back up to the Aes Sedai.

Gesin says '(https://www.tor.com/2015/09/09/the-whee ... n-excerpt/)'

Gesin says 'It seems to me that a good approach is to look at each summary and identify the variable used when the author deemed someone as strong, weak, good, or bad.'

Aelrena nods at Gesin.

Gesin says 'say Just taking a quick excerpt as an exemplar, when the biographies of Medanor Sedai, Raised of the Gray Ajah, mention that she was a fairly strong Amyrlin who managed through her skill at gaining consensus, mediation and playing one faction off another.'

Gesin says 'That is an indication of a few criterium that would make a 'Great' Amyrlin.'

Aelrena says 'I've noticed that often great Amyrlins are diagnosed by political savviness more than upon other skills.'

Gesin says 'So, if you can take these criteria and neutralize their language so they don't speak to positive or negative, you end up with a variable that can be measured for all Aes Sedai.'

Aelrena's lips turn up slightly at the corners.

Gesin says 'You could end up with a sort of school card to mark certain Aes Sedai.'

Aelrena chuckles politely.

Gesin says 'But being Amyrlin is more than just your own personal qualities, but also the state of the world around them.'

Aelrena says 'I'm not certain that's the type of thing I should ever admit to having/ or being willing to do Gesin Sedai. I suspect few Aes Sedai would take kindly to being graded by an Accepted.'

Gesin says 'You could also have criteria for if there is a War present, how Strong the Hall is. How established she is as an Aes Sedai.'

Gesin says 'Perhaps a different choice of words could be used, but analysis is about drawing conclusions based off of certain facts. Trending based off of use cased is an invaluable tool.'

Aelrena says 'Gathering data rather than making judgements I suppose would be considered more lightly, though the introduction of such would still need to be considered carefully. '

Gesin says 'And since these are all Amyrlins who have long since made it to the pages of the History Books, I hope they are used to a little analysis on themselves.'

Aelrena nods along, the ring on her finger turning more quickly as she thinks.

Aelrena stifles a laugh behind her hand.

Gesin says 'My point is that I think you can take the summaries of Amyrlin's Biographies and identify the key criteria used by historians to rate the success of an Amyrlin.'

Aelrena says 'I believe you are correct, they should be quite used to being judged through the lens of history.'

Gesin says 'I am sure you would have gone there with your research regardless, but you did ask me for my opinion.'

Aelrena says 'I see what you mean Gesin Sedai, create a portfolio by which to objectively rate Amyrlins, rather than merely through the subjective lens of the present.'

Gesin smiles brightly as she adds to your point.

Aelrena nods, her umber eyes alight, "I did Gesin Sedai."

Gesin says 'That brings me to my next point. Your research posits to find traits that are common for Great Amyrlins. But what makes Great Amyrlin? Are all Great Amyrlins strong who can bend the wills of the Ajahs to fit her purpose?'

Aelrena pauses, her expression thoughtful, "I'm not certain I would say the mark of a Great Amyrlin is being able to bend the wills of those around them. Perhaps I would state it to be service, in the same way that Aes Sedai are to be servants of all."

Gesin says 'I think that is close to how I would describe one.'

Aelrena says 'Were they capable of the clarity and insight to see what was needed of them in their time.'

Gesin says 'I posit that a Great Amyrlin is one who can perform the duties that the White Tower as a whole needs, dictated by the state of affairs of the times.'

Aelrena says 'I believe that's near exactly what I had deemed to be own idea of what might be considered a great Amyrlin.'
Gesin says 'I am less a critic of some of the Amyrlins who have been labeled weak over the time. Perhaps I am just overly fond of the underdogs.'

Gesin claps her hands together.

Aelrena says 'It's often those that we lavel underdogs who surprise us.'

Aelrena mutters "or label, that is."

Gesin says 'Excellent. I have said the pieces that I wanted to impart to you. Now, your turn to drive the conversation to what you need for your research.'

Aelrena's mouth quirks to the side and her eyebrows raise as she considers her next words carefully.

Aelrena says 'My current method of attaining information has been cross-checking information that I find in the Third Depository, along with those that I could find in the First. In conjunction with this, I've been attending meetings with Aes Sedai to gain their own input and perspective on the subject matter.'

Gesin nods at the Accepted, a single finger tapping silently on the desk.

Aelrena lifts Gesin's list in her hands, "With this I'll at the least be able to ensure I've found some of the best resources I can in the third depository." She then glances out the window before continuing.

Aelrena says 'What I think would be most important to discuss with you, given your own expertise with pedagogy, is how do you think it would be best to approach this with other initiates, as far as a lesson.'

Gesin says 'A very tailored question, I appreciate it.'

Aelrena says 'I've near decided the best way to start, of course, would be defining WHO the Amyrlin currently is, and going through the rituals of both raising and Amyrlin, as well as seeing one departed.'

Aelrena says 'And then touching on the duties of such, perhaps cite historical examples.'

Gesin looks off into the distance, clearly in thought.

Gesin says 'Everything you touch on is appropriate information for initiates...'

Aelrena cocks her head to the side in fair imitation of her mentor, listening quietly.

Gesin says 'In other classes I have seen on this topic, you can bring up examples from the history books of the deeds, both good and bad, of certain Amyrlins. If it serves to aid your point.'

Gesin says 'If you are able to research the criteria of what traits historians have attributed as good or bad, I think you would be appropriate as well.'

Gesin says 'I don't think I have seen that before.'

Aelrena straightens her posture and nods slowly, her expression thoughtful.

Gesin says 'Something else I haven't seen before is an interactive exercise at the end.'

Gesin says 'After explaining the backgrounds, duties, and traits of Amylins...'

Gesin says 'You could lay out a made up scenario, similar in form to the summaries in the bioagraphies. Then give, say, three descriptions of Aes Sedai candidates that are being considered for the Stole. Then ask the members of the class to pick who they would think would be a good choice of the made-up Amyrlin, and why.'

Aelrena says 'Oh.'

Aelrena's lips form a perfect "O" as she considers the idea.

Aelrena says 'That... is very clever.'

Aelrena dips her head in respect to the Aes Sedai.

Gesin says 'It gets the class involved and shows how they have individualized your lesson, as well as their thought process. It is a fake scenario, so it is appropriate to form an opinion on.'

Gesin says 'It would take work on your part for form the scenario, but it is an idea.'

Aelrena says 'And much, much better than the only others idea I was forming for an interactive lesson.'

Gesin says 'What was your idea?'

Aelrena says 'A travesty that would have led to intiates with swollen heads.'

Aelrena says 'Depending on the size of the class, have those partaking consider who among them would be most capable of leading according to the critera presented in the class within a fake scenario.'

Gesin says 'I don't think that is a bad idea, but I think taking individual's egos out of the equation might be better.'

Aelrena says 'I think my idea would be much more likely to end with trips to the Mistress of Novices.'

Gesin says 'Having read some of the accounts of those currently around, I don't doubt that.'

Aelrena says 'As much as I think the idea isn't horrible, yours is much less likely to cause a stir and punishment.'

Aelrena's tone turns dry and her mouth quirks up at the corners, "I can think of a few who might sit sorely for a week afterward."

Gesin says 'Not to polish my own brass, but I think my idea allows you to frame the discussion towards to core concepts of the class.'

Aelrena nods at Gesin.

Aelrena says 'I agree, in a much better way than my own idea.'

Aelrena says 'I'm not certain it's polishing one's own brass, if it's a topic within your own area of focus, Gesin Sedai.'

Gesin says 'But I like how you had considered the "What Else" towards your class agenda.'

Gesin says 'In regards to your class outline, I think you have the topics covered.'

Aelrena dips her head to the Aes Sedai.

Gesin says 'I surprisngly have not found anything in our archives of previous classes on this topic.'

Aelrena hums quietly under her breath.

Aelrena says 'I perhaps might have scanned through the archives quickly before deciding upon it.'

Gesin says 'So I can't give you examples to ensure you have certain pieces covered.'

Gesin waves that away with a flourish of her hand.

Aelrena says 'I thought it might be most helpful were I to begin the basis of another lesson that we haven't filled into the archives, rather than reiterating one taught many times before.'

Gesin says 'Looking at your discussion points, I think it is an appropriate topic to discuss with Initiates. Nothing Sensitive as long as You are not the one forming critical opinion of Aes Sedai. As long as it is fact laid out by the research, you will be fine.'

Aelrena nods at Gesin.

Aelrena says 'I will be sure to consider it objectively based upon the research I acquire, and have it looked over by an Aes Sedai, likely either yourself or Catisune Sedai if you're willing before moving further forward.'

Gesin nods in agreement to the plan.

Gesin says 'How else can I help you with your research or class?'

Aelrena ponders life, the universe, and everything.

Aelrena says 'I believe the only other question I have lined up, would be why do you believe the Brown has only a middling number of Amyrlins compared to the other Ajahs?'

Gesin says 'REDACTEDREDEACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDEACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDEACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDEACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDEACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDEACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDEACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDEACTEDREDACTED.'

Aelrena nods slowly at the Aes Sedai's words.

Gesin says 'REDACTEDREDEACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDEACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDEACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDEACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDEACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDEACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDEACTED.'

Aelrena says 'REDACTEDREDEACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDEACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDEACTED.'

Gesin nods in agreement.

Gesin says 'REDACTEDREDEACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDEACTEDREDACTEDREDACTED.'

Aelrena nods at Gesin.

Gesin says 'REDACTEDREDEACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDEACTED.'
Aelrena says 'I believe that answers my question quite concisely, thank you Gesin Sedai.'

Gesin says 'Do you think you got what you needed form me during this discussion?'

Aelrena says 'I do, Gesin Sedai. Quite strongly, I'm far beyond pleased at what I gained from this discussion.'

Gesin says 'I am glad to have been able to provide you my expertise on this matter.'

Gesin says 'Do you have ANY other questions for me before I dismiss you?'

Aelrena says 'I do not, Gesin Sedai'

Gesin waves her hands for you to rise.

Aelrena stands from her chair and drops into another curtsy.

Gesin says 'Then you may be on your way.'

close carveddoor south

It's already closed!

open carveddoor south

Aelrena drifts to the window sill and retrieves the now cold food and tea, before making her way out the door to the Study.

Aelrena leaves south.

Sarinda

Re: Evaluating Research Methods and Lesson Plans

Post by Sarinda » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:25 pm

Rplizer: +1
Extra meticulous edit: +1
Length bonus: +1
Summary: +1
Holidaze Bonus: x2

Total:
Gesin: 5 x 2 = 10 RPQPs
Aelrena: 3 x 2 = 6 RPQPs

Please say "receive" at the silver-haired Aes Sedai for your rewards.