Bushcraft (part 1)

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Nymyrya

Bushcraft (part 1)

Post by Nymyrya » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:49 pm

Summary: Accepted Nymyrya takes Novice Sarja in to the forest of Tar Valon to teach her the basics of bushcraft.

Characters: Sarja, Nymyrya

RP-lizer and *heavy* editing, most emotes and dialogue kept as is, adjusted for chronological flow.
Room descriptions, spamming, etc, edited for brevity and narrative flow.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Kitchens
The smells of food fills this large, high ceilinged room, the scent of
meats mingling with those of fruits and vegetables. A long stone fireplace
with spits lies in the center of the eastern wall, the roasting spits being
turned by spit dogs running in their wicker baskets. Iron stoves and ovens
have been placed along other walls. Three large pairs of doors flank the
kitchen and a glimpse reveals they are large dining halls. Gray tiles cover
the floor and a large sink occupies a corner of the room.

Sarja the Fledgling Novice is standing here.
Laras the Mistress of the Kitchens is here directing the kitchen workers.
An Accepted stands here, ready to fulfill any Aes Sedai request.

Sarja is humbly washing dishes here, hands deep in the suds of a large sink.

Nymyrya glances down at the sink, her lips curling down twisting the scar on her face.

Nymyrya makes her face impassive again before speaking, "Good morning, Sarja. If you don't mind me
interrupting your... dishwashing... there is something I'd like to show you."

Sarja notices Nymyrya and a bright smile pops on her face,"Hello Accepted! I was just busy cleaning
dishes here for Mistress Laras."

Nymyrya curtseys before Mistress Laras.

Nymyrya says 'Mistress Laras, you wouldn't mind if I borrowed your helper for the rest of the morning,
would you? '

Sarja removes her hands from the soapy water and dries them off on a towel, looking to Nymyrya and
Mistress Laras.

Sarja starts following Nymyrya.

Nymyrya says, 'Of course you wouldn't...' before herding Sarja out of the kitchen.

The two quickly make their way out of the kitchens, beyond the grounds and in to the Tower Square

Sarja looks around, soaking in the beauty of Tar Valon.

Nymyrya says 'Aha, you owe me from rescuing you from in there, first of all. And second there really are
some things I'd like to show you.'

Nymyrya sizes Sarja up, looking impressed.

Nymyrya says 'You've advanced a lot since you've arrived here!'

Sarja nods eagerly, "Thank you, Nymyrya! I am always up for something new....And you are right, I
have been learning so much from everyone."

Nymyrya says 'I feel there are some that might have you focus all your energy in to the
library, the kitchens, and learning how to use the one power.'

Sarja nods in agreement.

Sarja says 'Yes, there is so much learning there, certainly.'

Nymyrya says 'Don't get me false, those things are important. But soon you'll be Accepted, and survival
outside these walls takes more than what you can learn in a book.'

Sarja nods in agreement.

Sarja says 'I believe an Accepted should have knowledge of the world.'

The pair continue their conversation as the Accepted leads the Novice through the busy streets of Tar Valon
towards the Luagde Gate at the eastern end of the city.

Nymyrya says 'You've had a few run ins with the eyeless I hear, before you joined the Tower.'

Nymyrya sneers a little as she says the name.

Sarja looks visibly disturbed.

Sarja says 'I did. They are terrifying.'

Nymyrya says 'Can I tell you a secret? I believe the fades to be wretched cowards, every last one. Not a
single one of them would put themselves in a situation they believe they'd lose their life, I'd bet
my life on it.'

Nymyrya starts paying increased attention to her surroundings.

As the pair leave the city through the gate, the Accepted nodding as a bridgeguard gives her a curious expression.
They continue on through the forested glades outside the city walls. Nymyrya appears to be walking carefully, and
observant of the foliage and dirt on the path

Sarja looks visibly surprised.

Sarja says 'I believe what you say Accepted, but that seems so strange to think of.'

Nymyrya says 'I'm sure you've learned from the hunters about paying attention to your surroundings. Have
you invested any time in learning how read tracks?'

Nymyrya stops walking through the forest abruptly, kneels down and sticks her finger straight in to a
fresh piece of dung.

Sarja says 'I have not.'

Nymyrya rubs her fingers together and says, "Well hydrated, high protein diet. Likely a wolf."

Nymyrya smells her fingers gingerly.

Sarja raises her eyebrows at the excrement examination excellence.

Nymyrya says 'Not long past.'

Sarja says 'Are there many wolves around here? They are a dangerous animal, Accepted.'

Nymyrya says 'Dangerous, sure, if you don't know how to approach one. But never forget Sarja, the most
dangerous game walks on two legs.'

The Accepted continues down the path, deeper in to the forest, paying close attention to the ground
beneath her feet and the Novice close behind.

They arrive at the entrance to a musty den in the forest. Barely visible from the outside, are the figures of
a large wolf mother, and two mewling pups.

Sarja looks at the wolves and then to Nymyrya. She whispers,"I can't believe you found them like
that!"

Nymyrya says 'Here she is. Believe it or not, these wolves will not attack you, and should you meet an
eyeless again they will prove to be valuable allies, as would the trees we passed a few minutes
ago.'

Sarja looks at the wolf and her pups.

Nymyrya says 'Tracking isn't only helpful for finding game, but observing enemy movements is key to
survival. Should you be out in the forest, you might walk right past the trail of a dozen trollocs,
headed straight for them.'

Nymyrya says 'Unless... you know what to look for.'

The Accepted turns north, away from the wolf den, and starts heading toward the river.

Nymyrya says 'I have put a great deal of energy in to learning survival as well, so I can go some time
in the bush without need of food or drink, and find harsher terrain more manageable.'

Sarja gets a plate of kippered eel from a backpack.

Sarja eats a plate of kippered eel.

Nymyrya takes a good hard look at the plate of rich food in Sarja's hands.

Sarja says 'I can tie knots well and create structures out of wood, which we did on my father's
farm.'

Nymyrya suddenly appears very interested. "Knots?"

Nymyrya looks at her archly.

Nymyrya says 'What a shame, I left my rope in the Well...'

Nymyrya smiles, twisting the scar on her face.

Sarja says 'Yes, for lashing together structures on the farm. My father had me practice lashing
together logs to create tables, washbasins, bridges, tents, hauling logs, all sorts of things.'

Nymyrya raises her eyebrows, "You continue to suprise me."

Sarja says 'That would be very interesting to learn. I cannot track well at all.'

Nymyrya says 'Well, I may be able to show you a little.'

Nymyrya points at the ground in no specific area with the butt of her staff

The snow is coming down more heavily now.

Sarja says 'What is at the ground where you pointed your staff?'

Nymyrya says 'Ah yes, here, if you know what to look for you can see footprints. Our footprints.'

It's a little difficult to read old tracks in the snow...

-
=
+
Some clear fairly recent tracks of Sarja leaving west.
Some clear fairly recent tracks of Sarja leaving south.
Some clear fairly recent tracks of Nymyrya leaving west.
Some clear fairly recent tracks of Nymyrya leaving south.
Some clear day-old tracks of a brown deer leaving south.

Sarja says 'I cannot see much with my skills at tracking. People have said this snow makes things
harder.'

A brown deer has arrived from the west.

Nymyrya says 'You can tell the direction by the shape of the track. See this one is when we went that
way.'

Nymyrya points down the path with her staff.

Nymyrya then points at another patch of inconspicuous dirt.

A brown deer leaves west.

Nymyrya says 'And this is where we doubled back.'

A brown deer has arrived from the west.

The day has begun.

Sarja says 'Yes, I do see that.'

Nymyrya says 'It's a lot, I know. It takes a great deal of personal investment to be good at it, but it's
something I find incredibly useful in many situations. '

Sarja says 'I have always loved being outdoors, so please keep teaching me these basics.'

Nymyrya says 'If for example there were the tracks of a shadow stallion, or a Ko'Bal, we would be having
a very different conversation.'

The snow lightens up a bit.

Sarja says 'What is a shadow stallion Accepted?'

Nymyrya looks at Sarja and her face darkens, 'They are the horses that the eyeless ride, dreadful
shadowspawn. Hair black as night, and eyes fiery red as though posessed by the dark one. You'd know
one if you saw it.'

Sarja says 'It angers me that the Shadow pollutes an animal, any animal, especially one as noble as
a stallion.'

Nymyrya says 'The shadow corrupts all that it touches.'

Nymyrya curls her lips down in a scowl.

Sarja nods in agreement.

Sarja says 'It does...it does...it is still hard to think of something so foul.'

Sarja says 'It angers me, Nymyrya'

The snow stops.

Nymyrya says 'Anger is a secondary emotion, Sarja. I believe it is important to evaluate your thought
process at moments like these, be mindful, give the emotion space to exist within you, honor it, and
then release it with kindness back in to the void from whence it came.'

Nymyrya closes here eyes, takes a deep breath, then exhales slowly. In the moment of silence, the forest
springs to life slightly. The snow capped trees, surrounding them, the young doe searching for berries.
the birds song seems a little louder, carrying across the icy river flowing around the island of Tar Valon.

Sarja says 'Where are we now, for instance, with this crisp beautiful fresh snow. It is hard to
think anything would want to change it. This is a picture of beauty here, that I am privileged to
live in.'

Sarja says 'And I still have difficulty conceiving the Dark Lord hates it so much he would destroy
it'

A brown deer leaves south.

Nymyrya says 'Shadowspawn do not anger me, the shadow does not anger me, it disgusts me. And deep down it
makes me afraid, mostly afraid that the evil I see so clearly in the Shadow is a twisted reflection
of the darkness inside of me that I fight with every fiber of my being.'

The clouds disappear.

Nymyrya brightens up a bit, as the dark cloud passes.

Nymyrya says 'We are on the island of Tar Valon, just a short ride from the Luagde gate."

Nymyrya starts rooting around in some very thorny looking bushes.

Sarja slowly nods, clearly digesting some of the words of Nyrmyra, although not fully processing
them yet.

Nymyrya calls from the bushes, 'How skilled are you at finding hidden things? Another very useful skill.'

Nymyrya disappears into the bushes entirely.

Sarja calls back,"I suppose that depends on how well hidden something is?"

Sarja drinks water from a leather water flask.

Nymyrya pops out of the bushes and dusts herself off, having discovered a path to the river through the briars.

Nymyrya says 'Ah! Found it'

Nymyrya gets a large wooden raft.

Nymyrya nods in agreement.

The pair push their rafts on to the frosty current of the Erinin and begin paddling downstream.

Nymyrya paddles her raft somewhat idly down the river, taking in the scenery.

Sarja says 'We used to go canoeing on rivers in Andor with my dog. It would jump from canoe to
canoe and stand in the front, looking in the water. Searching for something, maybe fish, although
it never saw anything. I think it was an excuse to get wet and have fun.'

Nymyrya smiles broadly at Sarja's story, the scar on her face twisting grotesquely.

Nymyrya says 'Fun fact, trollocs cannot swim. So being on a raft in the river is arguably one of the
safest places you can be... from a trolloc. The eyeless have no such shortcoming.'

Sarja says 'I have heard that about Trollocs. I did not know the eyeless had no fear of water.'

The pair continue to paddle on, the river taking them further downstream.

Nymyrya sneers slightly, 'I despise getting my socks wet,' she says as her raft passes through a bit of
chop.

The river grows still around a bend, and the two paddle to a calm pond underneath the shade of a large,
ancient looking tree. Underneath the surface of the water, glimpses of silvery light can be seen from
a large school of fish.

Sarja looks at a small silvery fish.

Nymyrya says 'I do love the water, I just don't like my socks being in it. Did you know, Sarinda Sedai is
a Sea Folk and was born on a ship?'

Nymyrya coughs Atha'an Miere

The night has begun.

Sarja says 'I had no idea. I can only imagine the experiences she must have had.'

Sarja says 'She was the Aes Sedai who led me into the Tower.'

Nymyrya says 'Well, she is a wealth of information on many subjects. But if you have any questions about
the oceans, rivers, and how to use them for travel, her knowledge is unparalleled and indisposable.

Nymyrya produces a fishing net from her pouch.

Nymyrya gives a fishing net to Sarja.

Sarja nods in agreement.

Nymyrya says 'You say you've never caught a fish?'

Sarja says 'I have had questions about that on my travels. '

Sarja says 'Not with a net, no.'

Sarja looks at the net as she adjusts it and spreads it out, getting familiar with it.

Nymyrya says 'Well, there are many ways to find a meal, other than Laras kitchen. This is likely one of
the easiest.'

Nymyrya says 'All you have to do is drop the net in the water, and wait.'

Sarja drops a fishing net.

It starts to snow.

Sarja says 'I have one!'

Nymyrya looks surprised.

Sarja gets a fish from a fishing net.

Sarja says 'Three of them!'

Sarja puts a fish in a backpack.

Nymyrya gapes at Sarja with her mouth open.

Nymyrya says 'You're a natural! I don't think I've seen anyone get it so fast.'

Sarja says 'I used to fish on the family farm. I can gut these and get them ready to eat when we
back to the banks of the river.'

Nymyrya grins evilly.

Nymyrya says 'I can see why Sarinda Sedai likes you.'

Sarja says 'I had not thought of it, but I guess the Sea Folk fish frequently too!'

Nymyrya says 'Lets go see if we can find any more down the river.'

The pair paddle away from the still pond back toward the main of the Erinin. The water begins to get
rougher as they travel downstream. They reach a point where two large redstone boulders act like a funnel,
forcing the water of the river between them violently. The rocks are cracked from years of erosion. Beyond
that is the mouth of a grim cavern, the rushing water flowing in to the mouth and out of sight in to darkness
underground.

Sarja shakes her hands, a little chilly in the cold weather.

Nymyrya looks concerned, 'Oh be careful, try and avoid that choppy looking water over there'

Nymyrya puts her back in to her oar to avoid being drawn in to the rushing waters.

Sarja looks around, struggling a little with her raft.

The golden sun breaches the horizon, burnished rays burning away the night.

Nymyrya looks back at Sarja and yells, 'Be careful! Don't get pulled in by the current!'

Sarja works her oar and yells to Nymyrya,"I think it's going in!"

Nymyrya watches in horror as Sarja's raft is drawn in by the strong current, between the stones in to the rapids
and out of sight in to the dark cave beyond.

Nymyrya stands up on her raft and shouts, 'Sarja!!!' then dives in to the choppy water head first.

Nymyrya swims with all her might, being tossed about helplessly by the strong current. The river takes her in to the
darkness of the cave, obfuscating even which direction to swim for a breath of air.

Sarja says 'The raft is still upright! Come to me!'

Nymyrya manages to grab hold of Sarja's raft as the current deposits them both in the calm waters of the
underground river.

Nymyrya hangs on to the raft weakly as she coughs up a mouthful of water.

Nymyrya coughs loudly.

Sarja grabs Nymyra's arms and holds her in place.

Nymyrya dangles off the edge of the raft while the current takes them further in to the tunnel.

On Stony Shores
A thick rim of rock protrudes over the rippling water to the west, its
edges rubbed smooth over countless years. Loose, brown dust besmirches the
silken surface, speckled with shards of crushed stone. The cavern walls
stretch up to a high ceiling, the rock banded with veins of dusky ore.
Stalactites hang down like angry teeth, ready to chew on the unwary.

Sarja says 'Let's get to shore!'

Nymyrya crawls and stumbles out of the water as the current washes against the rocky shore.

Nymyrya lays down on the rocky shore of the underground river and coughs up some more water.

Nymyrya groans loudly.

Nymyrya starts to moan.

Nymyrya says weakly 'Noooo....'

Nymyrya whimpers, '... my socks...'

Sarja scrabbles off the raft and comes over to Nymyrya, "Can you breathe all right?"

Nymyrya sits up a little and says meakly, 'Yes... I think I'm okay...'

Sarja helps Nymyrya sit up. "Can I dry you somehow? It's so cold here."

Sarja says 'Blood and ashes.'

Nymyrya senses Sarja connecting to the True Source.

Sarja weaves flows of water and pulls the water from Nymyrya's damp clothing, dumping it back into
the river.

Sarja says 'I know I'm not supposed to channel, but it's below freezing and you were wet. You may
have died before we got back.'

Nymyrya begins to look somewhat less disoriented.

Nymyrya says 'Not... supposed to channel...?'

Nymyrya looks confused.

Nymyrya looks around the cavern, disoriented.

Nymyrya says 'Where are we? '

Sarja says 'Outside of select circumstances.'

Sarja says 'I don't know where we are. A cavern of some sort, that we got pulled into from the
current...'

Nymyrya looks at Sarja very seriously, 'These are circumstances.'

Nymyrya wiggles her toes and heaves a sigh of relief.

Sarja starts choking laughing.

Sarja says 'They are the circumstances'

Nymyrya stands up and composes herself.

Nymyrya says 'We need to find a way out of here.'

Sarja says 'Probably not the rapids we came in from'

Nymyrya looks down the tunnel.

Nymyrya says 'I think I see some light down there, it may be a way out.'

Nymyrya shines with light as she embraces the one power.

Nymyrya channels threads of fire and air in to a very weak light ball.

Nymyrya says cautiously, 'Stay close to me.'

The pair make their way through the cavern, carefully walking underneath the sharp hanging stalactites, and
walking around the stalactites. Through tight passages, the rocky edges of the tunnel sharp and threatening
to tear their now soiled white dresses. Eventually, as the tunnel grows wider, the two find themselves exiting
the cavern upon a seemingly enchanted glade of forest. Tall, ancient trees surround them, taller than some of
the buildings in Tar Valon, with roots the size of a carriage.

Nymyrya releases the weaves of the light ball as the tunnel opens out in to a secluded clearing in the
forest.

Nymyrya looks around the clearing with obvious interest and curiosity.

Nymyrya says 'Have you ever been to this part of the forest, before?'

Nymyrya looks at Sarja expectantly.

Sarja says 'Never'

Nymyrya climbs over the giant roots of an ancient tree.

Nymyrya says 'This is bigger than any tree I've seen on the island... ever. This place must be as old as
the White Tower itself...'

Nymyrya looks around the glade in wonder.

Sarja stands back, admiring the tree.

Nymyrya says 'We should press on and try and find a way back.'

Nymyrya makes her way over and under the giant roots, further in to the clearing.

Figures of Stone
Verdant trunks of alder and paperbark surround a statue carved from glossy
stone. A muscular, bearded youth, stripped to the waist and chiselled from
rock of the deepest jet pours water from a jar onto the ground. Behind him,
a maiden in flowing robes carved of the purest alabaster holds graceful
fingers over his eyes. Strands of chainvine curl across the ground,
withering to nothing as they approach the statue, which remains unspoiled
by the incessant passage of time, untouched by moss or strangling vine.

Nymyrya slows as she reaches the edge of the fairy ring, taking in the giant statue in the center of the grove.

Nymyrya walks up to the statue cautiously, giving Sarja a sidelong glance.

Sarja walks alongside Nymyrya. "It's stunning."

Nymyrya walks up to the statue and stretches out a hand, hesitantly.

Nymyrya pauses before running her fingers along the the curves of jet and alabaster.

Nymyrya says 'What... is it? How long has this been here?'

Nymyrya glances at the gleaming walls of the White Tower, peaking over the canopy.

Sarja says 'It's old. And it's not just a statue. There is something different about it. It has
no weathering.'

Nymyrya nods at her.

Nymyrya says 'An astute observation, Novice.'

Nymyrya says 'I have been running erands for the Brown Ajah recently, locating ter'angreal...
I wonder...'

Nymyrya reaches out statue with fine threads of spirit.

A man's baritone chuckle rings in your mind like the tolling of copper bells.

Nymyrya withdraws the weave and releases the power immediately.

Sarja looks at Nymyrya.

Nymyrya clutches her head in her hands, moaning.

Sarja steps to Nymyrya and looks in her face,"What's wrong? What do you feel?"

Nymyrya opens her eyes, wincing, 'That's no ordinary statue. It's a ter'angreal.'

Sarja looks to the statue and back to Nymyrya. "A ter'angreal?"

Nymyrya nods at her.

Nymyrya says 'Feels like someone just rang the trolloc raid alarm with my head right in the bell.'

Sarja says 'You look like that's what happened.'

Nymyrya says 'Angreal. Objects of the power, created in the Age of Legends. Usually they are small, trinkets.
This one must be more powerful than I can fathom.'

Nymyrya says 'We must seek out an Aes Sedai, the Brown Ajah. This must be studied.'

Nymyrya looks determined.

Sarja looks from the angreal to Nymyrya. "Let's get you back to the Tower. We can tell them about
the angreal, but I want you to get looked at too."

Nymyrya looks around the glade, 'There doesn't appear to be a way out here, we must get back to the
White Tower.'

Nymyrya turns back toward the underground river.

Nymyrya says 'Let's hope we can find our way out of here.'

Nymyrya claps Sarja on the back.

Sarja says 'We will, between the two of us.'

Nymyrya nods at Sarja firmly.

Nymyrya strides back toward darkness at the mouth of the cave, Sarja at her side.

(End of part 1)

Chloro

Re: Bushcraft (part 1)

Post by Chloro » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:55 pm

Awarded

Please visit a Silver-haired Sedai (All ajah offices) and say "receive"

Rplizer +1 qps : 1
Extra meticulous edit +1 qps : 1
Length bonus +1-2 qps : 2
Summary: +1 qps : 1

Total:
Nymyrya - 10 qps