Weave training efficiency interests many Ajahs

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Raeza

Weave training efficiency interests many Ajahs

Post by Raeza » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:55 pm

Summary: Elspeth tells Raeza of her ongoing research on how weave training impacts weave success rate. Raeza then encourages Elspeth to think of lenses through which various Ajahs might find the research interesting, and she also provides a lesson on some of the more practical issues that the White Ajah takes responsibility for within the Tower.

POV: Raeza
Characters: Raeza, Elspeth

-----------------------------------

Hall of Inferences of the White Ajah
The oval room is entirely filled by a single immense table, ornately
carved chairs with white leather cushions placed around it at equidistant
intervals. Behind each chair sits a large blackboard, smeared with chalk
dust accumulated over many years. Slender soaring windows pierce the high
walls, stretching to the distant ceiling. A large arch to the north leads
out of the chamber, heavy wooden doors swinging on cast-iron hinges.
[ obvious exits: N ]
Door north: door
A chair made of red oak rests next to the table. [2]
A silver-haired Aes Sedai sits here, reading.
A White Sister walks by, deep in thought.
Carlinya Sedai stands here, pale of skin and cold of manner as the white fringe on her shawl.

Someone knocks on the carveddoor from the other side.

Elspeth has arrived from the north.

Elspeth curtseys before Raeza.

Raeza gestures at the door with her hand.

The door silently swings shut and lock with a soft *click*.

Elspeth curtseys before Carlinya Sedai.

Raeza looks up from some papers as Elspeth enters.

Raeza says 'Hello Elspeth. Have you brought my tea?'

Elspeth places cups on the table and pours some tea.

Raeza nods slowly, "Very good."

Raeza picks up her cup and takes a quick sip.

Elspeth thanks Raeza heartily.

Raeza says 'You may partake if you wish as well. Please, have a seat.'

Elspeth sits down and sips at the tea.

Raeza says 'I hear that you are working on a task from Sarinda. Tell me about it, if you will.'

Elspeth says 'I am collecting data on the rate at which spells land at a certain level of
enlightenment and training levels I possess.'

Elspeth says 'I realized recently that my level of enlightenment had recently changed and I could not pinpoint the exact moment, so my data must start over as I do not wish to present skewed information.'

Raeza says 'When you say enlightenment, do you mean experience with the weave, or experience in the field in general?'

Elspeth says 'experience in the field in general, Raeza Sedai. I am also noting the exact level of training I have in a specific weave as well.'

Elspeth says 'I have saved up some training lessons to provide an alternate set of data, in hopes I can help show a delta based on the level of weave skill'

Raeza nods in agreement.

Raeza says 'So, you aim to have experience in the weave as an additional variable, not merely held constant?'

Elspeth says 'but first, I need to get back to the highest level of enlightenment. I've been out in the forest we're allowed to be in working on that.'

Elspeth says 'I should be able to get back very shortly, then start my data collection over.'

Elspeth says 'sorry Raeza Sedai, I just realized I'm rambling now.'

Raeza says 'You are not rambling. We in the White like to hear about the details.'

Elspeth smiles happily.

Raeza says 'To return to my question, will your final project have both experience in the field and experience with the weave as variables? Or experience with the weave will be held constant?'

Elspeth says 'my final project will only have experience with the weave skill as the variable with my experience in the field held at the highest constant.'

Raeza nods in agreement.

Raeza says 'I see, yes that is sensible.'

Raeza says 'I imagine that several Ajahs would be interested in this research, perhaps for slightly different reasons. I would be curious to hear your thoughts on that.'

Raeza says 'What interest might the various Ajahs have in these research?'

Raeza coughs, "...this research."

Elspeth says 'I'm excited about this task, I like dealing with with charts and sheets. I think this information can be used to maximize on one's use of training '

Elspeth says 'for example'

Raeza takes another sip of tea, listening.

Elspeth says 'perhaps some Aes Sedai have been over practicing in some areas with marginal gains, thus allowing for more practice in other areas.'

Elspeth says 'or perhaps a discovery can be made about a certain level that brings an exceptional gain'

Raeza nods slowly.

Raeza says 'I am interested to hear your thoughts on the Ajahs. What interest might the Red and Green, say, have in the research?'

Raeza says 'It was assigned to you by a Red, so that seems a good place to start.'

Elspeth says 'based on what I learned about the Red, I feel the may use it to maximize their abilities to find and still the taint of any males tainted by the source. In particular, I see understanding the most maximized use of very fast weaves to combat with. In addition, status weaves such as blind as an example. '

Raeza nods slowly, motioning you to continue.

Elspeth says 'if the Red Ajah had the best information on this information, perhaps their mission would be just a little bit easier to accomplish'

Raeza says 'Why might the Reds care the most about the likelihood of a given weave striking a target?'

Elspeth says 'In combat with another weaving back at them, the battle of who is able to interrupt the other more often likely to win. At least as I see it right now.'

Raeza says 'Precisely. In battle against another channeler, a failed weave can be the difference between life and death, perhaps more so than any other scenario.'

Raeza says 'And the Greens?'

Elspeth says 'I think the Green Ajah likely would benefit from this data due to the huge spread of spells that could be used to combat the Dark Side. Maybe this data will help shape a structure that maximizes on both cold and hot weather spells to be the best prepared to win, regardless of the location.'

Raeza says 'Well said, there are many weaves that we can focus on. There is always a consideration between greater breadth, and thus greater versatility, and greater depth.'

Raeza says 'Those who spend time fighting frequently in the Blight will face this even more than others, given that training in fireball is a must.'

Elspeth nods in agreement.

Raeza says 'And what interest might the Browns and Whites have in this research?'

Elspeth says 'I understand the Browns would naturally be interested in any type of research. I'm sure they would love to catalog the various data sets to ensure the information is available for continuous use and ongoing data validation.'

Raeza nods slowly.

Raeza says 'I believe the Browns would be interested in a report on the makeup of this boot I am wearing, if one wrote it.'

Raeza lifts her leg slightly, with a slight chuckle.

Elspeth snickers softly.

Raeza says 'They wish to document and record all knowledge. And even as I jest, we are all the better for it.'

Raeza says 'And the White Ajah?'

Elspeth says 'I understand the White Ajah would like this information from two perspectives. The first being to have the best known and available truth we can find about the level of training needed to have an expected result. The second being to look at the data from a philosophy standpoint. Why does a certain level training produce the result it does.'

Raeza says 'We do like to get to the truth of a matter and gain a clear understanding of how systems work. This is accurate.'

Raeza says 'There is another angle from which we would also be interested.'

Elspeth shuffles papers and prepares to take notes.

Raeza says 'Tell me, what do you know of the responsibilities that the White Ajah take primary care of for the Tower?'

Raeza says 'We study truth, philosophy, logic, reason ... all of this is true. We also take care of some practical issues for the Tower. Do you know them?'

Elspeth says 'is this in regard to meditation? Flame and the Void?'

Elspeth says 'I'm only guessing at this point to be honest, Raeza Sedai'

Raeza nods slowly, "Meditation is part of our daily practice, and we train initiates in it. But not what I was getting at."

Elspeth says 'mathematics?'

Raeza says 'One thing we take care of is setting and maintaining the wards around the Tower grounds.'

Elspeth jots down notes

Elspeth says 'I was unaware of this.'

Raeza says 'This is why you may have noticed that there are no rats within the Tower grounds, for instance. There are wards against them, and the White Ajah ensures these are set properly.'

Elspeth continues writing notes

Raeza says 'Another thing we take responsibility for, and something you may find of interest given your background as I understand it, is logistics.'

Raeza says 'We calculate for instance how much food needs to be imported to feed those living in the city, and we ensure that we have sufficient supply.'

Elspeth says 'very interesting, I had not learned this in my training yet.'

Raeza nods in agreement.

Raeza says 'An important component of logistics is efficiency, and efficiency is something we care about in the White.'

Raeza says 'What is the most efficient way for a system to be set up, for instance.'

Elspeth says 'I used to work ledgers in the trade district of Lugard. It was difficult enough tracking weapons and armor. I couldn't imagine the pressure of getting food for an entire city correct.'

Raeza nods in agreement.

Elspeth takes more notes on the importance of efficiency

Raeza says 'When dealing with issues on such a large scale, and of such importance I might add, efficiency is key.'

Raeza says 'So, with that being said, do you think there is an angle related to efficiency from which to view your research?'

Raeza takes a long sip of tea with a slight smack of her lips.

Elspeth says 'I do. I think efficiency may be the word I lacked the entire time. I believe that this type of research makes us all more efficient with our use of training. That being said, I've was going to be focused on battle and status weaves. Would there be any specific weaves that I could gather for your specific interest?'

Raeza says 'Perhaps it is because I am a White, but efficiency is the first thing that came to my mind when I read about your project.'

Raeza says 'To answer you second question, ...'

Elspeth says 'I see I'm blurting out words that don't make the most efficient use of conversation. I'm a bit excited about this conversation.'

Raeza says 'Battle weaves are the most interesting to me from the point of efficiency, even though I spend much of my time in the Tower. With most other weaves, a bit of extra time putting the weave together is no problem, but in the midst of battle, it can be life or death.'

Raeza says 'Conversations need not be efficient. Unless you are communicating in the midst of battle. That is perhaps a topic for another day, though one I am very interested in.'

Elspeth says 'the data will have to speak for itself, but I am hopeful to find the best practice build of Fireball, as it has such a high skill requirement.'

Raeza says 'I had one additional Ajah in mind, the Yellow. Do you think the Yellows have a unique perspective on this issue?'

Elspeth says 'I imagine it would be very useful to run the numbers against all of the various healing weaves'

Elspeth says 'I know I'm interested in understanding the finer details of heal serious vs heal critical, vs Healing. How much they heal for and how much training yeilds the best results'

Raeza says 'Perhaps that could also be an interesting point of inquiry. I believe there has been some research on the potency of the various Healing weaves, though perhaps not in the depth you are suggesting.'

Elspeth says 'If I'm interested in it, I can only imagine the Yellow Ajah would have that interest multiplied'

Raeza says 'I also had a slightly different thought. For instance, I have little Talent for Healing myself, so I do not spend much time practicing such weaves. But my Yellow sisters spend much time learning Healing and other support weaves.'

Raeza says 'Though they also need to be able to defend themselves properly in battle, when needed.'

Elspeth says 'ahh, they are just as spread out in their training, just in different ways'

Raeza says 'Yellow sisters who traverse the Blight often have many support weaves in addition to those needed to be effective in the Blight. '

Raeza says 'So, they might have an even greater breadth issue compared to others.'

Elspeth jots down notes

Raeza says 'Knowing how to optimise their weaves, even just their offensive weaves, might be highly valuable to them.'

Elspeth says 'very interesting, I had not thought of it that way. '

Raeza says 'I believe we can wrap up this lesson, child.'

Raeza says 'With that, I will dismiss you now in the Light. Light illumine you, child.'

Raeza nods in agreement.

Raeza gestures with her hand.

The door smoothly swings open.

Elspeth gathers her cups and tea pot.

Elspeth curtseys before Raeza.

Elspeth leaves north.

Sarinda

Re: Weave training efficiency interests many Ajahs

Post by Sarinda » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:12 am

Catching up on rewarding some older logs. I apologize for missing this one.

Rplizer: +1
Extra meticulous edit: +0
Length bonus: +1
Summary: +1

Total:
Raeza: 4 RPQPs
Elspeth: 2 RPQPs

Say 'receive' at the silver-haired Aes Sedai to pick them up.