Punch The Weaker Ones First

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Lois

Punch The Weaker Ones First

Post by Lois » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:15 pm

Summary: Previously advised to seek out the Red Ajah and relate any accounts of battles involving dreadlords or male channelers, Lois tells the tale of one such a battle to Sarinda Sedai and discusses her takeaways, lessons learned, and thoughts on finding strength through fear.

POV: Lois
Characters: Sarinda, Lois

=============================================================================

Den of the Red Ajah
[ obvious exits: E ]
A chair made of red oak rests next to the table. [2]
A large desk made of fine, thick wood stands across the room from here.
Sarinda the Elder Sister is standing here.
A silver-haired Aes Sedai sits here, reading.
A Red Sister stares down here nose here.
Galina Casban completely ignores you.

Lois senses Sarinda connecting to the True Source.

Sarinda gestures and the door slams shut from an unseen force.

Sarinda sits down and rests on a stout oaken chair.

Lois says 'With your leave, Sarinda Sedai? '

Lois gestures at the chair.

Sarinda reclines in a chair and motions to the chair. 'Yes, Accepted, please take a seat.'

Lois sit down on a stout oaken chair.
Lois sheath a ring-quilloned sword into a sword sheath.

Sarinda looks at Lois.

Sarinda says 'Were you injured in the combat? Are you well?'

Lois smiles happily.

Lois says 'The bum leg is an old injury, ended my career as a swordfighter. But no, I am not much worse for the wear.'

Lois says 'From this battle. A little singed.'

Sarinda draws down her thin eyebrows into a frown.

Sarinda nods in agreement.

Lois says 'It began inside Tar Valon when 6 of the beasts attacked. '

Sarinda sighs. 'I have little training in Healing, unfortunately.'

Lois says 'A man named Carbon and I were the only ones available outside of the Tower guards. '

Sarinda nods, listening quietly and attentively.

Lois nods in agreement.

Lois says 'My injury has been looked at by the Yellows...they referred to it as 'psychosomatic' which is a large word beyond me.'

Lois says 'But that's a different story.'

Lois grins evilly.

Sarinda chuckles politely.

Lois says 'Anyways, the shadowspawn fled the city proper relatively quickly and accosted the bridge guards.'

Lois says 'Considering the situation and understanding that I am but an Accepted and likely no match for the daunting dreadlord, I chose to use his fixation on me to my advantage...'

Sarinda says 'You said a Dreadlord, a Fade, and a full fist of Trollocs?'

Lois says 'By weaving the trollocs and myrddraal instead.'

Lois's cheeks are burning.

Lois says 'Well, "fist" maybe strong, but there were 4 of them.'

Lois says 'Trollocs, that is.'

Sarinda grimaces.

Sarinda intones, 'If it pleases the Light, all will be well. All will be well, and all manner of things will be well, if it pleases the Light.'

Lois nods grimly.

Sarinda murmurs, 'The Father of Storms grows bolder.'

Sarinda says 'What happened next?'

Lois says 'I was beyond frightened...Shadowspawn did not range as far south as Ghealdan and the Rahad of all places.'

Lois says 'Carbon fought bravely and, with minor assistance from me, we managed to dispatch a trolloc.'

Sarinda nods decisively.

Sarinda says 'Excellent.'

Lois says 'When I became too frightened and ran for Tar Valon, another trolloc was blocking the way in...I blanked out a bit, but wove ice at him until he died while closing the gate and blocking it.'

Lois says 'Unfortunately for the trolloc and fortunately for me, Guardsman Ansil drew the dreadlord and myrddraal and other trolloc towards Caemlyn.'

Lois says 'So we lucked out. '

Sarinda says 'Oh, well done, indeed.'

Sarinda smiles warmly.

Sarinda says 'The beasts are quite stupid. They probably did not realize they were isolated.'

Lois smiles sheepishly.

Lois says 'Well, that made two of us...luck on my side of it, as it were.'

Lois says 'By this time, Cavalryman Arandur joined the fray, but more Shadowspawn made it difficult to engage outside and, as I mentioned, I was frightened and my injury limits me.'

Lois says 'The moment of truth came when the Cavalryman indicated he had run to Fal Dara and was being accosted by the Shadowspawn there.'

Sarinda nods grimly.

Lois says 'I could barely control the fear constricting my chest, but I used the Travel weave to join the fray...understanding that if they fled north of the city, I could not lend assistance outside of support.'

Lois says 'I...am not sure what exactly happened next, old sword-fighting instincts took over and I found myself running through the keep with the guardsmen battling the spawn. '

Sarinda says 'Yes, that is correct. But if it pleases the Light, even the presence of a single well-trained Accepted of the White Tower can turn the tide of battle.'

Sarinda chuckles politely.

Sarinda says 'Have you encountered many Shadowspawn skirmishes like this in your time as an Accepted?'

Lois says 'While I could not do much alone against the horde at that point -- I believe Arandur had to retreat a bit to treat his wounds -- I did manage to hold them off from their main target, which I believed to be Lord Agelmar.'

Lois says 'Not many. Once with Everesta Sedai as we ranged north on a mission to Lord Granlin's camp.'

Lois says 'But I grew up in the far south, outside of Ebou Dar.'

Sarinda says 'Your instincts are sound, then, for one with less battle experience.'

Lois says 'Those lands...these things may as well be myths.'

Lois smiles sheepishly again.

Lois says 'Well, in the Rahad the way we deal with alley fights is counterintuitive. '

Lois says 'You know how they say go for the largest bully?'

Lois says 'We did the opposite. We thinned their herd by punching the weakest looking ones. For those ones, a fist to the face was a dose of reality and they backed off.'

Sarinda nods decisively.

Sarinda flashes a wolfish grin.

Lois says 'I dealt with it much the same way. Rather than fixing on the Dreadlord, by far my superior in channeling, I "punched" the trollocs. '

Lois says 'Meanwhile, the Dreadlord chased me around and got his in, but sometimes I think you can sacrifice one fight for the battle.'

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, that is my approach when fighting in groups against Shadowspawn. Unless there is a Dreadlord or Darkfriend channeler present, whom I prioritize on principle, I often aim for the weakest Trollocs to break their morale.'

Lois nods in agreement.

Lois says 'This is all quite new to me, but it's almost comforting that a street fight is not terribly different in principle...though I thought my street fighting days were also over.'

Lois grins evilly.

Sarinda says 'Did you fall in the combat? Left for dead and looted by their ilk? Or were you able to survive the skirmish?'

Lois says 'I did not fall in combat, Light be blessed.'

Lois says 'As I said, the blademaster Uno in Fal Dara and Lord Agelmar himself sheltered me as I tried to do what little I could.'

Sarinda smiles warmly.

Sarinda says 'Excellent work, Accepted.'

Lois's cheeks are burning.

Lois says 'Well, fear is a great motivator I suppose. I appreciate your kind words, Sarinda Sedai.'

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, I was terrified the first time I encountered a Trolloc, let alone a Dreadlord.'

Lois smiles happily.

Sarinda says 'Like you, I suspect, I had never before seen Shadowspawn and had little reason to even contemplate their existence, having spent most of my youth at sea.'

Lois says 'Forgive me if this is presumptuous, but you are of the Sea Folk before the Tower, right?'

Lois nods in agreement.

Sarinda nods and replies, 'I am Atha'an Miere, of Clan Shodein. I was born at sea off the coast of the Aile Somera.'

Lois says 'Ah, yes. We would often see Atha'an Miere vessels on the docks, but I can't say I had ever met the crew in my youth.'

Lois says 'But I only asked because my understanding is that life on the sea is a difficult one fraught with dangers...'

Sarinda smirks. 'More than risking being mugged in the Rahad? Or standing at guard in the Borderlands?'

Lois says 'I wonder if your coping with the changes you saw is anything like my experience, where I keep seeking out analogues for the very real danger when near Shadowspawn with what felt like the very real dangers of the streets in the Rahad. '

Lois nods in agreement.

Lois says 'Precisely!'

Lois says 'I've been examining my own experiences and finding strength there...if we can survive those experiences, the sea or the Rahad, with scars, we can survive whatever the Dark One can throw our way too. '

Lois settles down looking a bit embarrassed.

Lois says 'Er...excuse me, Sarinda Sedai. Must be the adrenaline still speaking.'

Lois provides a self-effacing smile.

Sarinda sighs and shakes her head with a small grimace. 'It seems that many parts of the world have danger, these days. The Father of Storms exerts his influence, and threatens us all. But yes, I agree that we can find strength in our shared experiences, if it pleases the Light.'

Sarinda says 'It would be foolish, however, to assume that a Trolloc is no less deadly than a common knife fight. Stupid beasts though they may be, they have cunning instincts, and strength in numbers.'

Lois says 'Yes, well, I don't suppose we have many other choices...I came to Tar Valon to perhaps seek a cure for my physical affliction, but the more I see of the world, the more I realize that maybe my sword wielding days are not as far behind me as I had thought.'

Lois smiles happily.

Lois says 'Yes, the metaphor I make to cope is certainly not without its faults.'

Lois says 'But it did help me live today.'

Lois says 'I fear that if I had run and not fought, I would have been easy meat for them.'

Sarinda smiles warmly.

Sarinda says 'That depends on how well you run, and how quickly.'

Lois grins evilly.

Sarinda says 'There is no dishonor in a tactical retreat, Accepted.'

Sarinda says 'Yesterday, I sensed the Darkfriend known as Cera Merimon just outside the Shining Walls.'

Lois scowlss darkly.

Lois says 'I had classes with her.'

Lois says 'Before she turned.'

Sarinda's ageless face is stoic.

Lois says 'Apologies for the interruption...it is a fresh wound for all of us, I'm certain.'

Sarinda shakes her head and sighs. 'You have no need to apologize, child.'

Sarinda says 'That woman never did heed my training, or truly master her ability to weave rapidly and efficiently. If it pleases the Light, perhaps that is to our advantage, now. I had her seriously Beaten when she had only Hurt me.'

Sarinda says 'But then I sensed Shadowspawn nearby, and moments later, a Fade and a Trolloc came upon us as well, and joined her in the battle.'

Lois says 'That cunning and overwhelming numbers you mentioned earlier...'

Lois nods in agreement.

Sarinda says 'Such a battle against three could turn against me at a moment's notice, and I had used up much of my reserves of saidar, with no angreal. So I had to grit my teeth and retreat before I could mete out Justice.'

Sarinda says 'I did, however, find help nearby, and after Cera had left, we slew the Shadowspawn both.'

Lois nods in agreement.

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, Accepted, what did you learn from this encounter?'

Sarinda says 'Yours, I mean. The story you shared today.'

Lois says 'I think if I had to summarize...'

Lois says 'When outnumbered, the battle is more than just a one on one conflict. A part of effective use of resources (the most precious one being your life), is recognizing that and sometimes target what is not the most obvious target.'

Lois says 'By spreading the wealth, I may not have netted immediate dead shadowspawn, but it did limit their ability to come at me as a group when they were mostly licking their wounds.'

Lois says 'As I said...punch the weaker bullies first.'

Sarinda nods and adds, 'And it seems that keeping calm, and using your ability to rationally work through the problem, also helped to prevent fear from clouding your judgment.'

Lois smiles self-consciously.

Sarinda grins at Lois.

Sarinda says 'I find this story quite pleasing.'

Lois smiles happily.

Sarinda says 'Well, 'story' is perhaps not a fair word, as this is no tall tale but an account of a very real dangerous experience.'

Lois says 'I was advised to relate any stories involving male channelers and dreadlords to you, Sarinda Sedai. I am glad you enjoyed the tale.'

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, I am glad to hear of yoru success, Accepted.'

Lois stands up.

Lois curtseys to her audience.

Lois says 'Thank you for your time, Sarinda Sedai.'

Sarinda says 'Do you require anything else right now?'

Sarinda stops resting, and clambers on her feet.

Lois shakes her head.

Sarinda says 'May the Light illumine you, and bring you safe to journey's end.'

Sarinda gestures with her hand.

The door smoothly swings open.

Raeza

Re: Punch The Weaker Ones First

Post by Raeza » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:42 pm

Awarded:

Lois - 5 rpqps (3 + 2 for editing)
Sarinda - 3 rpqps

Please say 'receive' at any silver-haired Aes Sedai to collect them.