A survey of Ajahs leads to a logical choice

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Raeza

A survey of Ajahs leads to a logical choice

Post by Raeza » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:05 pm

Summary: I had previously set Lexiane a task: interview an Aes Sedai from each Ajah to learn which qualities the Ajah wish to foster in their apprentices as a way to confirm whether the White Ajah was truly the most optimal fit for her. This is a combination of two logs representing her progress reports to me, including her findings from the Ajahs interviewed. It ends with Lexiane requesting apprenticeship with the White Ajah and my acceptance of her request.

POV: Raeza
Main characters: Raeza, Lexiane

Editing: RP-lizer and some moderate editing to remove irrelevant content

=========================================

Hall of Inferences of the White Ajah
The oval room is entirely filled by a single immense table, ornately
carved chairs with white leather cushions placed around it at equidistant
intervals. Behind each chair sits a large blackboard, smeared with chalk
dust accumulated over many years. Slender soaring windows pierce the high
walls, stretching to the distant ceiling. A large arch to the north leads
out of the chamber, heavy wooden doors swinging on cast-iron hinges.
[ obvious exits: N ]
Door north: door
A chair made of red oak rests next to the table. [2]
A silver-haired Aes Sedai sits here, reading.
A White Sister walks by, deep in thought.
Carlinya Sedai stands here, pale of skin and cold of manner as the white fringe on her shawl.

Someone knocks on the carveddoor from the other side.

Raeza gestures with her hand.

The door smoothly swings open.

Lexiane has arrived from the north.

Lexiane closes the carveddoor.

Lexiane curtseys before Raeza.

Lexiane says 'Hello, Raeza Sedai!'

Lexiane nervously runs a hand over her shaved head.

Raeza looks up suddenly as if she were deep in thought.

Raeza says 'Ah. Lexiane. Come, come.'

Lexiane says 'Thank you, Aes Sedai. I hope you are well, Aes Sedai?'

Lexiane says 'And I hope that I am not intruding, Aes Sedai. I can go back to my own studies, Aes Sedai.'

Lexiane continues in a rush.

One long blast from a trumpet resonates through the Tower!

One long blast from a trumpet resonates through the Tower!

Lexiane says 'If you would rather be alone, Aes Sedai.'

Raeza says 'Quite. No, not intruding.'

Raeza says 'I was just thinking about some things.'

Lexiane breaks out in a large smile, clearly relieved.

Lexiane says 'Ah, well, I find that sometimes being distracted from thinking helps me finish the thought in the long run, Aes Sedai.'

Raeza examines Lexiane's head curiously.

Raeza says 'Have you decided to keep it shaved permanently then?'

Lexiane blushes.

Lexiane runs a hand over her bald head.

Lexiane says 'Yes, Aes Sedai.'

Lexiane says 'I find it much easier to deal with, Aes Sedai.'

Raeza nods slowly.

Lexiane says 'No more brushing every evening or worrying about appropriate washing.'

Lexiane says 'Once a week I shave it with a razor I purchased from a member of the Guard, Aes Sedai.'

Raeza says 'I can see the appeal. I have never gone quite to that extreme, but it is why I favour a simple, practical bun.'

Lexiane nods her shaved head.

Lexiane says 'Yes, Aes Sedai. A bun works quite well, though still, the brushing.'

Lexiane mimes brushing her hair repeatedly, face exaggeratedly tired.

Raeza says "Yes, the brushing," as she slides some strands of loose, clearly unkempt hair back with a hand.

Lexiane adopts an attempt at the Aes Sedai mask of neutrality.

Raeza says 'Well, let us turn to more important matters.'

Raeza says 'It has been some time. Update me on your studies, Accepted.'

Lexiane visibly steels herself.

Lexiane says 'Raeza Sedai, I have come to make a request.'

Raeza says 'A request? Oh?'

Raeza crosses her ankles and tilts her head slightly.

Lexiane says 'Yes, Aes Sedai. I know it is inappropriate to make such a request, but I have had difficulty making any head way.'

Lexiane says 'You set me with the task to speak with every Ajah and I have, to date, only spoken with two others.'

Raeza frowns slightly.

Lexiane says 'However, I have been trying quite hard to meet with other Aes Sedai, Raeza Sedai, but it has not come to pass.'

Lexiane says 'Aes Sedai are very busy and not interested in engaging with me, Aes Sedai, or sent me vague missives and are unable to set a date.'

Lexiane finishes in a rush.

Lexiane says 'I would request that you allow me to begin my apprenticeship without finishing the task you set me to, Aes Sedai.'

Raeza says 'I should think that other Sisters would be eager to meet with you. They are not thinking rationally otherwise. You are quite an engaging student.

Lexiane blushes.

Lexiane says 'Thank you, Aes Sedai. I assume they are just busy, Aes Sedai.'

Lexiane says 'And perhaps see the writing on the wall, Aes Sedai, so to speak.'

Lexiane says 'Which is to say that I am quite set on the path to the White Ajah, Aes Sedai.'

Raeza taps her finger on her chin with a steady rhythm.

A tense warder bellows 'The criminal, Loret, has been spotted!'

--- intermission ---

Raeza says 'Where were we... ah yes.'

Lexiane says 'Ah yes, Aes Sedai. I was hoping to request that I could advance to Tower Accepted and begin my apprenticeship to the White Ajah despite my having not interviewed Aes Sedai from every Ajah.'

Raeza says 'I was just about to say, at risk of sounding like a Gray, perhaps we can settle on a compromise.'

Lexiane nods in agreement.

Lexiane says 'Of course, Aes Sedai.'

Lexiane says 'Anything you wish, Aes Sedai.'

Raeza says 'Speaking to all seven Ajahs'

Raeza says 'Well, six others...'

Raeza says 'Perhaps that is too onerous in the current climate.'

Raeza says 'Which have you spoken to?'

Lexiane says 'I have spoken to two of them, Aes Sedai. The Red Ajah and the Brown Ajah, Aes Sedai.'

Lexiane says 'I have written every Ajah, Aes Sedai, and have heard back from some. But none who would establish a date to meet me, Aes Sedai.'

Raeza says 'And tell me what you have learned so far.'

Lexiane squares her shoulders.

Lexiane says 'The Brown Ajah seek to foster in all apprentices, first, the devotion to knowledge.'

Lexiane says 'Secondary to this is curiosity, though that curiosity is subservient to the devotion to knowledge, which does include the protection of knowledge.'

Lexiane says 'The Red Ajah strive to foster diligence, eagerness, and dedication in all of the girls apprentice there, Aes Sedai.'

Lexiane begins ticking off her fingers.

Lexiane says 'Diligence in studies, eagerness to improve, and dedication to prevent the misuse of the One Power and another Breaking.'

Raeza rubs her chin slowly as she listens.

Lexiane says 'Of course, I also learned why I would be a bad fit for both Ajahs.'

Lexiane says 'First, I would be a bad fit for the Red Ajah because I do not wish to join the Red Ajah. That was a primary interest for the Red Ajah, Aes Sedai.'

Lexiane says 'Second, I would be a bad fit for the Brown Ajah because I do not believe that the preservation of knowledge is more important than the pursuit of truth.'

Raeza holds up a finger.

Lexiane pauses.

Raeza says 'Let us return to the Red. That you do not wish to be part of it may be the truth, and may very well be a good reason not to join it.'

Raeza says 'But, and I imagine you can guess where this is going...'

Lexiane cocks her bald head.

Raeza says 'The same might be said of all six Ajahs except the one you actually wish to join, which would trivialise the exercise.'

Raeza says 'So, I will press you to find another reason that the Red may not be suitable.'

Lexiane says 'Well, Aes Sedai, the other reason why I would not be a good fit for the Red Ajah is I do not wish to dedicate myself to their mission.'

Raeza nods in agreement.

Lexiane says 'I, of course, am concerned about those who would misuse the One Power but it is far from my primary interest.'

Raeza says 'Now, that I find suitable.'

Raeza says 'It sounds very similar, but really is not.'

Lexiane says 'Nor am I overly concerned with another Breaking, which seems extremely unlikely unless we were to lose the Last Battle.'

Raeza nods in agreement.

Lexiane says 'I am not even sure that the Dark One exists, Aes Sedai. There are several compelling treatises in the library that challenge the assumption of their existence and instead lay the blame at the feet of humanity and our hubris.'

Lexiane says 'This applies similarly to the Green Ajah, Aes Sedai, who are devoted to fighting back the forces of the Dark and of serving as a counter balance against Dreadlords.'

Lexiane says 'Such battles hold little interest to me, and the practical application of the One Power in such a way may be necessary at times it is not where my interest lies.'

Lexiane says 'I know how to chop wood but I would not seek out becoming a carpenter, so to speak.'

Raeza says 'Do you see why that is a different reason than just "I do not wish to join them"?'

Lexiane says 'I understand the difference is more than just my lack of interest. Though I would argue that my lack of interest is important under the framework established by Ruby Sedai.'

Raeza says 'Perhaps a girl feels that Healing is the highest calling possible for an Aes Sedai. She may still not want to join the Yellow Ajah, but not because of their mission.'

Lexiane says 'Yes, Aes Sedai. I find the goal of the Yellow Ajah very inspiring, Aes Sedai. It has no interest to me, Aes Sedai.'

Raeza offers a slight smile.

Lexiane says 'Plus I have no Talent for Healing, Aes Sedai.'

Raeza says 'Nor do I. We have that in common, child.'

Lexiane gives Raeza a shy smile.

Raeza says 'Very well. I am convinced by your arguments related to the Reds and Browns.'

Lexiane says 'I could tell you the other reasons why I am not fit for the other Ajahs, Aes Sedai, if you would like.'

Lexiane says 'I am not sure it is the reason they would say, Aes Sedai.'

Raeza holds up a finger.

Lexiane pauses, her mouth open.

Raeza says 'Now the compromise.'

Lexiane says 'Yes, Raeza Sedai.'

Raeza says 'I will not require you to meet seven Ajahs.'

Raeza says 'Does four sound more suitable to you?'

Raeza crosses her ankles as she shifts in her chair.

Lexiane says 'I will continue to do my best, Raeza Sedai.'

Raeza says 'Would you like me to twist some arms on your behalf?'

Lexiane says 'Well, it seems Auriona Sedai may be available to meet with me, Aes Sedai!'

Raeza says 'As a metaphor, of course, not literally.'

Lexiane says 'But yes if you know any Aes Sedai who would be susceptible to violence I think -'

Lexiane coughs loudly.

Lexiane says 'Or verbal engagement, as it were.'

Raeza claps her hands.

Raeza says 'Perfect. That would leave only one if my arithmetic is correct.'

Raeza offers a slight smile.

Lexiane smiles broadly.

Lexiane says 'Well, I will go inquire with Auriona Sedai, Aes Sedai.'

Lexiane says 'If I am excused?'

Lexiane bounces on the balls of her feet.

Raeza says 'You are. Best not to keep her waiting, then.'

Raeza opens the door.

Lexiane curtseys gracefully.

Lexiane scurries away.

Lexiane leaves north.

=======================================

-- A different day --

=======================================

Hall of Inferences of the White Ajah
The oval room is entirely filled by a single immense table, ornately
carved chairs with white leather cushions placed around it at equidistant
intervals. Behind each chair sits a large blackboard, smeared with chalk
dust accumulated over many years. Slender soaring windows pierce the high
walls, stretching to the distant ceiling. A large arch to the north leads
out of the chamber, heavy wooden doors swinging on cast-iron hinges.
[ obvious exits: N ]
Door north: door
A chair made of red oak rests next to the table. [2]
A silver-haired Aes Sedai sits here, reading.
A White Sister walks by, deep in thought.
Carlinya Sedai stands here, pale of skin and cold of manner as the white fringe on her shawl.

Lexiane has arrived from the north.

Lexiane curtseys before Raeza.

Lexiane closes the carveddoor.

Lexiane says 'Hello, Raeza Sedai.'

Lexiane is not sweaty, for once.

Lexiane says 'I hope that you are well, Aes Sedai.'

Raeza says 'Hello again, Lexiane.'

Lexiane says 'I am not sure if you saw my reports, Aes Sedai. After our conversation yesterday I had a stroke of luck, Aes Sedai.'

Raeza closes a book before striding over to a chair.

Raeza sit down on a stout oaken chair.

Raeza nods in agreement.

Lexiane says 'I managed to find both Auriona Sedai and Everesta Sedai, Aes Sedai.'

Lexiane stands before Raeza, hands clasped at her waist.

Lexiane says 'I believe that completes my task, Aes Sedai.'

Raeza says 'Fortunate indeed. Tell me of your findings, then.'

Lexiane says 'Ah, well.'

Lexiane clears her throat.

Raeza sits back in her chair and crosses her arms under her breasts.

Lexiane says 'Well, Aes Sedai, the Yellow Ajah seek to foster humility, communicativeness, openness, and a desire to help others.'

Lexiane says 'Those are the qualities they wish to bring out most, Aes Sedai. They do not prioritize skill wit Healing, as they believe it can be taught.'

Raeza rubs her chin slightly.

Raeza says 'What are your thoughts on this?'

Lexiane says 'Well, I suspect that if a Yellow Ajah apprentice had no aptitude for Healing at all that she would never attain the shawl!'

Raeza says 'Perhaps. Or perhaps their priorities are not exactly what we take them to be.'

Lexiane nods at Raeza.

Lexiane says 'I believe that the primary quality the Yellow Ajah was interested in was the desire to aid others, Aes Sedai.'

Raeza nods at her.

Raeza says 'It seems at first paradoxical, but only under the assumption that Healing with the One Power is their primary or only aim.'

Lexiane says 'I still believe they would require one to be able to Heal!'

Lexiane giggles.

Raeza gives a very subtle shrug.

Raeza says 'Who are we to say. '

Lexiane says 'Very true, Aes Sedai.'

Raeza says 'And as to whether it is a good fit for you?'

Lexiane says 'Well, Auriona Sedai said I would make a good apprentice, Aes Sedai.'

Lexiane says 'However, I think I would be a poor fit.'

Lexiane says 'My interests are not in helping others, as noble as it is.'

Lexiane says 'My passion is the pursuit of truth, Aes Sedai, or the closest we can get to it.'

Raeza nods slowly.

Lexiane says 'While I believe my research will help others understand how to navigate our world and the many dilemmas within it'

Lexiane says 'I am motivated by my own interest and my belief in the importance of the work.'

Lexiane says 'That is not the same thing, Aes Sedai.'

Raeza says 'We in the White are still Servants of All, however, child. We must not forget that.'

Raeza says 'Our service just may not be quite the same as that of the Yellows.'

Lexiane says 'I would serve, of course, but I think that service is different than the aid the Yellow Ajah seek to deliver.'

Raeza nods in agreement.

Raeza says 'Indeed.'

Lexiane says 'I also spoke with Everesta Sedai of the Gray Ajah.'

Lexiane frowns at the memory.

Lexiane says 'That conversation was, perhaps, more frustrating.'

Raeza looks perplexed for a moment before spotting her tea cup by the book she held earlier.

Raeza nods at Lexiane.

Raeza says 'Tell me of it.'

Raeza stands up.

Lexiane continues her recitation, eyes following Raeza.

Lexiane says 'Well, Aes Sedai, Everesta Sedai indicated that the Gray Ajah seek to foster any good qualities present in an apprentice.'

Raeza walks over to collect her cup before returning to her chair.

Raeza sit down on a stout oaken chair.

Lexiane says 'Particularly qualities hard fought from self-awareness and hardship.'

Lexiane says 'There are no specific qualities they prioritize, Aes Sedai.'

Lexiane says 'Only they prefer those that an Accepted has developed on their own rather than been taught to have.'

Raeza holds up a finger.

Lexiane says 'It makes sense, Aes Sedai, if you consider that there are many different ways to negotiate and different attributes can be used to promote such -'

Lexiane freezes, mouth open.

Raeza repeats the words, "rather than been taught to have."

Raeza says 'Ah I get it.'

Raeza says 'It took me a moment to parse, that is all. Carry on.'

Lexiane continues, 'To promote such tactics that would be most effective given the target audiences for those negotiations.'

Lexiane says 'In this way, I believe I understand the motives of the Gray Ajah's goal to promote all beneficial qualities that an Accepted may have.'

Lexiane closes her mouth and smiles happily to herself.

Raeza taps her chin and looks at the ceiling a moment.

Raeza says 'Fascinating.'

Raeza says 'Did Everesta mention any particular factors that would make an Accepted less suitable for the Ajah?'

Raeza says 'In her estimation.'

Lexiane blushes at the memory.

Lexiane says 'Everesta Sedai indicated that dichotomous thinking is a detriment to being a success apprentice.'

Lexiane says 'I believe that was the only thing she listed, Aes Sedai.'

Raeza smirks.

Raeza says 'Often, I think people use the claim of dichotomous thinking to undermine attempts to be explicit and find the truth in a matter, as a sort of way to make vagueness somehow more desirable.'

Lexiane nods vigorously.

Lexiane says 'I agree, Aes Sedai. I understand the importance of nuance, but at the end of the day there is truth and falsehood, and we must identify one or the other.'

Raeza says 'Indeed. It is imporant to consider all the factors, or the nuances if you will, but not if you are just trying to avoid being pinned down to a position.'

Raeza says 'One should make her argument clearly and defend it. Not dance around the issue.'

Raeza says 'Perhaps this is why they are the ones primarily dealing with other nations and not us.'

Raeza offers a slight shrug again.

Lexiane says 'I suppose those who are interested in customs and nuances may be better suited than people committed to the pursuit of truth.'

Raeza says 'You mentioned that the most important factor is having good... how did you put it?'

Raeza says 'Characteristics?'

Lexiane says 'Qualities, Aes Sedai.'

Lexiane says 'Good qualities, though none were defined.'

Raeza says 'Ah yes. Having at least some good qualities.'

Lexiane says 'They then foster those specific qualities.'

Raeza says 'If that is the most important factor, should we then conclude that if a girl is deemed unsuitable for a Gray apprenticeship, then she is viewed to have no good qualities whatsoever?'

Raeza says 'Fascinating.'

Raeza has a slight gleam in her eye.

Lexiane says 'With the caveat that Everesta Sedai believes one good quality means you have more than one good quality.'

Lexiane says 'But yes, I think we must assume that if an Accepted is unsuitable for an
apprenticeship with the Gray Ajah then they lack any redeemable qualities, yes.'

Raeza says 'Sometimes logic leads us to unfortunate conclusions, child.'

Lexiane nods her shaved head gravely.

Raeza says 'Well, with this report, I believe I can deem your modified assignment completed.'

Lexiane beams.

Lexiane says 'Thank you, Aes Sedai.'

Lexiane chews her lip.

Lexiane clears her throat.

Lexiane says in a formal tone, 'Raeza Sedai, having finished the modified assignment, I would once again request that I be apprenticed to the White Ajah.'

Raeza says 'And why should I agree to this apprenticeship?'

Raeza says 'I trust you are now in a position to answer.'

Lexiane clasps her hands at her waist once again.

Lexiane says 'I believe that you should agree to this apprenticeship because I represent the opportunity to have an apprentice who is clever, has a keen mind, and has the potential to be a brilliant thinker.'

Lexiane says 'I believe that that potential stands the best chance of being reached under an apprenticeship with an Aes Sedai such as yourself, Raeza Sedai.'

Lexiane says 'I believe that I can find flaws in logic, make persuasive and sound arguments, and can be detailed and explicit in my interactions.'

Lexiane says 'I believe that I have the potential to be a good Aes Sedai of the White Ajah, should I reach that place, and I believe that you are best suited to teaching me how to get there.'

Lexiane says 'Given my merits, potential, and your ability as an instructor, I think you should agree because it furthers your mission to serve everyone, helps strengthen the White Ajah, and helps strengthen the Tower.'

Carlinya Sedai says 'You are not White Ajah.'

Raeza whispers something to Carlinya Sedai.

Raeza says 'These are true statements and a bit of flattery, but one important component is still missing.'

Lexiane says 'And what is that, Raeza Sedai?'

Raeza says 'Part of the objective in assigning you this task was to ensure that you considered all of your options carefully so that you could make a logical choice about your path forward.'

Lexiane nods vigorously.

Raeza says 'Have you reached a conclusion then?'

Lexiane says 'Each Ajah has its merits and its appeals. Every Aes Sedai I spoke with said I would be a good apprentice to that Ajah, which I found quite telling.'

Lexiane says 'All Ajahs are for all people, they are suitable for everyone who wishes to make the effort.'

Lexiane says 'However, the only Ajah that I felt a calling to, where I feel I would be able to live up to my potential, pursue my goals, and be of the best service to everyone'

Lexiane says 'Is with the White Ajah, Aes Sedai. Given that, it is only rational for me to request an apprenticeship with you.'

Raeza says 'Good then. And it is only rational that I accept. I look forward to having you as an apprentice.'

Lexiane beams even brighter than before.

Lexiane curtseys deeply, her dress pooling on the ground.

Lexiane says 'Thank you, Raeza Sedai.'

Raeza maintains an expressionless face, but it looks perhaps a bit more pleased than before.

Lexiane says 'I will not let you down, Aes Sedai.'

Lexiane says 'I will be an excellent student, Aes Sedai.'

Raeza says 'I will notify my sisters that I have accepted you for an apprenticeship.

-- Some moments later --

Raeza says 'Sister, let us acknowledge Accepted Lexiane.'

Carlinya Sedai says 'It is done.'

Raeza narrates 'I am pleased to say that Accepted Lexiane has been raised to Tower Accepted, as an apprentice of the White Ajah. Congratulations Accepted.'

Lexiane smiles happily.

Sarinda

Re: A survey of Ajahs leads to a logical choice

Post by Sarinda » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:21 am

Raeza: Offline awarded 6 RPQPs (4 + 2 for editing/summary).

Lexiane: Offline awarded 4 RPQPs.

Use the silver-haired Aes Sedai to receive them.

On a personal note, I really enjoyed reading through these, and seeing the culmination of Lexiane's decision to apprentice with the White Ajah. This was a very meaningful glimpse into the lives and purpose of the White Ajah and its training, and I look forward to seeing what else you two contribute to this forum as the apprenticeship continues.