A... Wandering Discussion

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Aelrena

A... Wandering Discussion

Post by Aelrena » Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:52 am

Summary: Kathala Sedai finds Aelrena in the Warder Practice Yard, and the two have a discussion which switches topic quickly, touching upon the synthesis of the Yellow and the Brown, the common traits of Shadow Eyes, the ideal Yellow Sister, the collaboration within the Ajahs, and other topics.

Participants: Aelrena Solyan, Lady Kathala Arantes
Brief Appearance: Sarinda din Rovan

Kathala has arrived from the south.

Kathala's face gains a chin as she smiles.

Kathala says 'Greetings, Accepted.'

Aelrena senses Kathala connecting to the True Source.

Aelrena senses Kathala is channeling saidar.

Aelrena curtseys before her.

Aelrena says 'How may I help you today?'

Aelrena smiles happily.

Lady Kathala Arantes, Ra'dar is a level 51 Yellow Ajah human.
This olive-skinned woman is stout, with no discernable waistline. Her dark
eyes are intent in her rosey, apple-cheeked face which is framed by long
wavy dark hair. A double-chin forms when she smiles.

The White Tower is bathed in a reddish orange light as the sun sets.

Kathala says 'Oh, I do not require help.'

Kathala says 'I just saw you awake.'

Aelrena smiles back at the Aes Sedai, her plain face briefly looking a touch pretty.

The night has begun.

Aelrena says 'A pleasure to see you at the least, would you care to have a conversation about the Brown and Yellow Ajahs?'

Kathala says 'Of course.'

The sky starts to get cloudy.

Aelrena nods in agreement.

Kathala says 'Was your angle about their mutual interest in research?'

Aelrena grins and holds her hands up as if in surrender.

Kathala says 'You are not the first to make the connection.'

Aelrena says 'Partially, I think there's an intense synergy that the two are capable of when working together in research.'

Kathala's eyes glimmer with merriment.

Aelrena says 'But I was also planning to consider what ways the two might work together in say...'

Aelrena holds her hand up to her mouth as if thinking, though it's clear she already has her next
words planned.

Aelrena says 'How documentation on plagues such as the one in the time Hawkwing spread, and how utilizing such information creates a more effective network to care for people when such outbreaks occur.'

Kathala purses her lips before nodding slowly.

Kathala says 'Those types of plagues are rare, fortunately.'

Aelrena says 'Very fortunate.'

Kathala says 'The flu does occur more frequently, all the more harshly among men.'

Kathala looks emphatically towards the warders and their students.

Aelrena glances over to Dragonmount, visible in the distance.
Aelrena says 'I have heard many Aes Sedai speaking of hard times coming. I was afraid it might be relevant in the future.'

Kathala chuckles lightly.

Aelrena looks to the warders and their students in turn, nodding in agreement with the Aes Sedai.

Kathala says 'Farmers speak of hard times coming. Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong.'

Aelrena 's tone is dry as she responds, "I think that may be in part because men refuse to believe they should take a moment to rest."

Aelrena tilts her head to the side and ducks it briefly in acquiescence.

Kathala nods at Aelrena.

Aelrena says 'I suppose that's true, Aes Sedai may believe a thing that is not necessarily true.'

Aelrena says 'Though it was a thought which occured to me all the same.'

Aelrena says 'I've been reaching out to the different Ajahs in an attempt to better understand how they interact between each other, for when I one day wear the shawl.'

Aelrena nods at her.

Kathala says 'Suppose those hard times are coming though, do you feel this is exclusively regarding plagues and illnesses?'

The White Tower's spire gleams softly in the first light of a new day.

Aelrena looks thoughtful at the Aes Sedai's question, her lips pursing slightly.

Aelrena carefully responds "I think that it would be foolish to only prepare for one eventuality."

The day has begun.

Kathala nods at Aelrena.

Kathala says 'Good answer.'

A scout narrates 'Call the banners! Shadowspawn sighted at Tarwin's Gap!'

Kathala says 'For all we know there might be some rot in the potatoes.'

Kathala raises her thick shoulders and shrugs.

Aelrena says 'I think that with hard times coming, we should prepare for every eventuality that we can, and perhaps ways to respond to things which we cannot anticipate.'

Kathala nods in agreement.

Aelrena nods, though her face slightly twists at the mention of rot in the potatoes.

Kathala says 'I set Accepted Penzei a task to reach out to Wisdoms to set up a system for them
alerting us in the event of an emergency.'

Kathala says 'A courier is slow, and at times risky.'

Aelrena smiles happily.

Kathala says 'It is fortunate that hawks and falcons are not birds of the Shadow.'

Aelrena 's voice cracks briefly with mirth, "Wise to setup correspondence with the Wisdoms?"

Aelrena nods at her.

Aelrena says 'Quite fortunate indeed. I wonder what it is that predisposes ravens and crows to the shadow, as well as rats for that matter.'

Kathala says 'It is not merely the eating of carrion, otherwise vultures would find similar employ.'

Aelrena says 'Quite, nor could it be something as mundane as coloration, or there would be a plethora of other creatures which serve as shadoweyes.'

Kathala says 'Such as blackbirds.'

Aelrena shifts her weight from her right to her left as she thoughtfully taps the side of her nose.

The corner of kathalas mouth quirks up as she thinks of the two rivers ( Kathala )

Aelrena says 'There should obviously be some sort of shared trait between them.'

Aelrena says 'Though the only thing which comes to mind at the moment is a certain amount of
intelligence.'

Kathala says 'Indeed. Some argue they are smarter than average, but so are magpies and jays.'

Aelrena says 'So we can agree then that it's not likely to be their above average intelligence.'

Kathala adds belatedly 'and jackdaws.'

Kathala nods at Aelrena.

Aelrena grins evilly.

Aelrena nods and mouths "jackdaws" afterward in echo.

Aelrena says 'Were it only ravens and crows one might consider perhaps that it be a matter of lineage and there could in fact be some type of relation between the two.'

Kathala purses her lips as she considers this.

Aelrena continues tapping the side of her nose, her right hand splayed across her cheek now.

Kathala says 'Ravens do appear to be global birds, what with the Seanchan mentioning them too.'

Aelrena nods at her.

Kathala gestures briefly at Kathala, who now appears more impressive somehow.

Aelrena says 'Yes, perhaps that's a consideration, they tend to show up everywhere.'

Kathala says 'Indeed. As do rats.'

Aelrena says 'And rats are creatures which worm their way into near any place with food, ships included.'

Kathala smirks.

Aelrena chuckles politely.

Aelrena ponders life, the universe, and everything.

Kathala wobbles her head as if to indicate the similar way of thought.

Aelrena says 'Perhaps there is a similar predisposition the creatures have to the Shadow in the same way cats do to women who can channel?'

Kathala says 'Interesting thought.'

so.
Aelrena says 'If we know that many of the Shadowspawn are creations of Aginor... then perhaps shadoweyes have a predisposition to whatever powers were used to do so.'

Kathala says 'I doubt it has to do with naming conventions. A murder of crows and a treachery of ravens.'

Kathala says 'And the rooks, we forgot the rooks.'

creatures with the Shadow.
Aelrena says 'I believe the naming conventions likely have more to do with the cultural connection of the creatures with the Shadow.'

Kathala says 'Perhaps it is as simple as Aginor being an ornithologist, hand rearing a few.'

Aelrena says 'With an occasional interest in rats?'

The night has begun.

Kathala says 'I suppose.'

Kathala says 'I suppose we should be grateful he didn't raise parrots, in that case.'

Aelrena suppresses a laugh behind her hand.

Aelrena says 'Quite, though. Perhaps that might make some things easier in that most parrots aren't as prolific as ravens and crows.'

Kathala nods at Aelrena.

Kathala says 'It does make me wonder about bats, though. Crows and ravens fly by day. Rats are mostly active at night, yet do not fly, thank the Light.'

Aelrena stares at the sky.

Aelrena mutters "Flying rats...", her tone one of both disgust and slight fear.

Kathala says 'And again, why rats, but not mice?'

Aelrena says 'Well, rats are larger than mice, but we can assume that size isn't so much a factor as our birds are hardly the largest of such.'

Kathala tilts her head, considering Aelrena.

Kathala says 'You should hold a debate on this subject, it might be interesting and fun.'

Aelrena nods at the Aes Sedai's suggestion. “I might just, I'll mention it to Catisune Sedai.”

Kathala nods at Aelrena.

Aelrena says 'Light, I'm gonna be thinking about this for the next month at least.'

Kathala says dryly 'Only a month?'

Kathala chuckles politely.

Aelrena defensively responds, "I did say at least!"

Kathala bows her head slightly saying 'That you did.'

Aelrena says 'I have a tendency to.... hyperfixate on ideas until I draw them close enough to a
conclusion that I become satisfied.'

Kathala says 'Interesting. I'm more of a whirlwind of chaos myself.'

Kathala says 'Where everything eventually falls neatly into place, or near enough.'

Aelrena says 'I think there's some merit to that, it makes it easier to see pathways other than the one you're currently on.'

Kathala says 'True enough, I suppose. Some things we cannot change about ourselves.'

Aelrena says 'It's far too easy for me to fixate upon something and forget that sometimes you can go by boat rather than by cart.'

Aelrena says 'Nor should we, I think.'

The White Tower's spire gleams softly in the first light of a new day.
The clouds disappear.

Aelrena glances slyly at the Aes Sedai.

Aelrena says 'There's a certain power to difference of thought and specialization. Such as that of the Ajahs.'

The day has begun.

Kathala says 'Yes, although there are similarities in each Ajah, there are also differences among
us.'

Kathala says 'Humans, ever so curious creatures.'

Aelrena says 'Contradictions bound in anomaly and paradox, really.'

Kathala says 'Wrapped in a mystery and cloaked in an enigma.'

Kathala gestures with a fat hand 'Or whatever the phrase is.'

Aelrena says 'Close enough for our purposes I think.'

Kathala says 'Almost enough to make you wonder which Ajah is the rats, which the ravens and which the crows.'

Aelrena says 'They're all each, I would think.'

Aelrena grins at her.

Aelrena shakes her head.

Aelrena says 'If we've already determined the amount of differences between each of them, I think it's apt to say that the women within the Ajahs are just as different.

Kathala nods at Aelrena.

Kathala says 'And here we were, speaking of the Brown and Yellow, while venturing deeply into the territory of the White.'

Aelrena says 'quite deeply I think. I wonder what Raeza Sedai would say if she heard us.'

Kathala says 'It's why I suggested you hold a debate. It would be a fun exercise for other
initiates.'

Aelrena nods at her.

and presented it to Catisune Sedai for the time of Hawkwing.
Aelrena says 'I'll definitely take a look and see what can be done about it. I just finished up a lesson plan and presented it to Catisune Sedai for the time of Hawkwing.'

Kathala says 'Oh, interesting!'

Aelrena says 'Well, the Time of Hawkwing and specifically speaking of what mistakes were made by the Aes Sedai of the Era, what was done well, and how we could have done better.'

Kathala says 'Fortunately, his reign is well documented.'

Kathala nods at Aelrena.

Aelrena says 'Quite.'

Kathala says 'Which arguably is a feat in and of itself, given the tensions with the Tower.'

Aelrena says 'My intent is less to review the history itself, and more to ensure that the other initiates are considering the actions of the past, and how we as an organization can move forward.'

Aelrena says 'Quite I think, truthfully.'

Kathala nods at Aelrena.

Aelrena says 'I think the reign of Bohnwhin, as well as the dismissal of Aes Sedai advisors would have made the gathering of accurate history at the time more difficult, even counting the networks of eyes and ears.'

Kathala says 'Although history is bound to repeat itself, even without the Wheel turning.'

Kathala nods at Aelrena.

Aelrena says 'But, my hope is that lesson will also spark a debate among the initiates.'

Aelrena says 'Though I haven't named it such.'

Kathala says 'What could have been done differently.'

Kathala says 'Should the Hall have intervened.'

Kathala says 'Could the Gray have done more?'

Kathala says 'Or the Blue, since that would be a massive cause.'

Aelrena says 'What could have been done differently? Well. Further checks could have been placed upon Bohnwin, especially after the disastrous results with the surrounding nations. '

Aelrena says 'Perhaps more sisters could have been sent to capture Guaire Amalasan.'

Kathala says 'Or perhaps a bit more humility, after Hawkwing saved the city.'

Aelrena says 'There's also the idea that the Tower could have welcomed the troops onto white Towe-'

Aelrena taps her nose in imitation of Catisune's habit at the answer.

Kathala tilts her head back and laughs.

The night has begun.

Aelrena says 'Exactly that.'

Aelrena says 'Perhaps even something so... grisly as arranging a knife in the dark for the False Dragon.'

Aelrena says 'Or expansion of the tower guard of the time would have also
been an option.'

Kathala says 'Perhaps out of arrogance, no one thought it would be necessary. Even during the
Trolloc Wars, Tar Valon never fell.'

Kathala says 'How in the Light could an army of rabble do the same?'

Aelrena shakes her head.

Aelrena says 'And that's the path of forgetting what Aes Sedai means.'

Aelrena says 'Servants of all. Those who do what must be done, for service of the people, not for our own pride and gain.'

Aelrena says 'At times, an Aes Sedai must bend as any other servant if it serves the Light.'

Kathala says 'Even Aes Sedai are people and people are imperfect. There is no weave 'cure
imperfection', although that would be a worthy discovery.'

Aelrena falls down laughing.

will do you well.'

Aelrena says 'To risk going back into the territory of the white...'

Aelrena says 'Would such a weave be moral to use?'

Kathala feigns a shudder.

Kathala says 'It would be highly subjective.'

Kathala gestures down along the sides of her round torso.

Aelrena says 'Could you consider such a thing to be a weapon, I wonder?'

Kathala says 'Would we just be adjusting physical traits, or character traits as well?'

Kathala says 'Would we turn the introverted into extraverts?'

Kathala says 'And potentially doom the Brown Ajah...'

Aelrena says 'I hope not, I don't think I would survive the experience.'

Kathala wiggles her eyebrows.

Kathala says 'Aside from of course, establishing what perfection is...'

Aelrena says 'I suppose that perfection is in fact, subjective in its actuality.'

Aelrena shakes her head.

Kathala nods at Aelrena.

Aelrena says 'I doubt there's been a group of more than two people who've agreed on that since before the founding of the Tower.'

Kathala says 'The best mind in the world might be useless in a market stall.'

Aelrena says 'And the best merchant might be useless commanding a battle.'

Kathala nods at Aelrena.

Kathala says 'And the best Yellow might make a useless Blue.'

Aelrena says 'A bit of self reflection?'

Aelrena grins at her.

Kathala says 'Oh, I'm hardly the best Yellow, by the Light I swear.'

Aelrena falls down laughing.

Aelrena says 'But Kathala Sedai, what exactly is the best Yellow?'

Kathala says 'Oh yes, causes, causes are important. Oh hello kitty, is your tail broken?'

Kathala spreads her hands.

Kathala says 'It would happen.'

Aelrena says 'I have no doubt in my mind.'

The day has begun.

Kathala says 'And the best Yellow...'

Kathala says 'Is the one we aspire to be.'

Kathala nods to herself, she must need reassurance.

Aelrena tilts her head and listens in interest.

Aelrena says 'Perhaps the best Yellow is a mixture of all of you?'

Kathala says 'A lofty goal, usually not reached, but that is why we continue to learn.'

Kathala nods at Aelrena.

Aelrena says 'After all, each sister has different talents and knowledge which supports and upraises the rest.'

Aelrena says 'That is, in truth, one of the reasons I almost found myself asking to apprentice the
Yellow.'

Kathala nods at Aelrena.

Kathala says 'There are great similarities between the Yellow and the Brown.'

Aelrena says 'I think there's an idea of collaboration that binds them more than some of the other Ajahs, though of course, I have no proof of such.'

Kathala says 'Collaboration, the Brown? Aren't they all locked up in their own rooms with their own
tomes?'

Kathala winks suggestively at Aelrena.

Aelrena says 'In the larger picture of things, is the purpose of the Brown not to create a repository of information to carry in the future?'

Aelrena glances to the building which houses the library to the west.

Kathala says 'The main purpose, arguably. To restore knowledge of old so that it may last into the future.'

Aelrena tilts her head to the side and dips it in acquiescence.

Aelrena says 'A more clarified statement, I'll agree.'

Aelrena shrugs.

Aelrena says 'I think the tasks of these two ajahs more than the rest, except perhaps the Gray require colloboration between the members in order to move forward.'

Sarinda has arrived from the south, riding a warhorse.

Sarinda greets Kathala with a light kiss on her cheek.

Kathala says 'Greetings, Sister.'

Sarinda touches her hand to her forehead, lips, and heart in greeting.

Sarinda says 'Well met, Sister.'

A warhorse lays its ears flat against its neck.

The clouds disappear.
Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, I do not mean to intrude.'

Aelrena says 'A pleasure to see you Sarinda Sedai.'

Sarinda smiles at Aelrena.

Aelrena says 'I can say on my end that your presence is never an intrusion, Sarinda Sedai. It's always a pleasure to speak with you.'

Kathala says 'Yes, the Gray aim to be the glue in this world.'

Aelrena nods at Kathala

Sarinda grimaces, 'I was trying to use the Ways, but that evil force, Machin Shin, was hounding me.'

Aelrena says 'Though I think it's perhaps sometimes easier to send a single diplomat to the table rather than risk having others trip over each other.'

Kathala looks Sarinda over quickly.

Aelrena cringes slightly at the mention of Machin Shin.

Sarinda says 'I have mostly recovered from its...ravings, if it pleases the Light.'

Sarinda draws down her thin eyebrows into a frown.

Kathala says 'Yes, either just one, or three, if the conflict is with two parties. So that a Gray
may represent each side.'

Aelrena says 'I've experienced the same in my journeys to study the ways. It seems Machin Shin enjoys waiting just inside the Tar Valon waygate.'

Sarinda says 'I will try again now that I have recovered.'

Sarinda says 'May the Light illumine you, and see you safe to your journey's end.'

Sarinda waves.

Aelrena waves.

Sarinda leaves south riding a warhorse. vv

Kathala says 'Then again, often such missions are lead by a Gray, so it's not exclusively a Gray
thing.'

Aelrena says 'And if we mention advisors to rulers throughout the world, not all advisors are Grays either.'

Kathala nods at Aelrena.

Aelrena says 'Similar I think, to how missions to capture False Dragons are often led by the Red, though not always solely comprised of the Red.'

Kathala nods at Aelrena.

Kathala says 'Nor do only Greens fight up north!'

Aelrena says 'Though I think most can agree the Blue are often all scattered to the wind away from the Tower and one another as frequently as they're home.'

Kathala says 'Yes, indeed.'
Aelrena says 'Hardly that, I think. I believe I've seen Sarinda Sedai fight in the blight more than I
have near any other three sisters.'

Kathala nods at Aelrena.

Kathala says 'Have you ever played with a prism, Accepted?'

Aelrena says 'I have not found myself with the opportunity, Kathala Sedai.'

Aelrena feels the flows of saidar coursing through her body.

Kathala says 'A prism takes white light and breaks it into different colors.'

Aelrena nods in understanding, "An Apt metaphor perhaps for the White Tower then?"

Kathala says 'I think so.'

Kathala says 'Although sadly, we seem to be lacking in the purple and orange Ajahs.'

Aelrena says 'I'd love to hear what their missions might be.'

Kathala says 'As would I.'

Aelrena says 'Perhaps the orange as a mixture of the Yellow and Red in that their one focus, for a time at least, is learning to heal being burned out?'

Kathala says 'There were once many more Ajahs than there currently are and Light knows what each one's color and purpose was.'

Aelrena nods at her.

Aelrena's nod is sad, and her expression drops to one of melancholy for a moment.

Aelrena says 'Much has been lost in the last several thousand years.'

Kathala says 'If Brown is merely dark orange, then perhaps Orange would be Brown light?'

Aelrena says 'Their heads are in books only half of the time?'

Kathala rubs her nose, hiding her mirth.

Kathala says 'Who knows.'

Aelrena glances pointedly to the stack of books sitting next to the place she's setup in the Practice Yard.

Aelrena says 'Perhaps not even the Light anymore.'

Kathala says 'So many things we don't know, or no longer know.'

Kathala sighs loudly.

Aelrena says 'It's a shame.'

Aelrena shakes her head.

Aelrena says 'No, shame is not a strong enough word, I believe.'

Kathala says 'A tragic loss.'

Kathala tilts her head as she hears the bell toll.

Aelrena says 'Things which may not be discovered until the Wheel turns around once again.'

Kathala says 'Indeed. It was pleasant speaking to you, Accepted, however, I should be off.'

Aelrena says 'Thank you for your time Kathala Sedai. I greatly enjoyed our conversation.'

Kathala says 'If you do end up teaching your class about Hawkwing, I hope to be there, time
permitting.'

Aelrena says 'I'm certain there will be an announcement soon about it.'

Kathala says 'Excellent.'

Kathala says 'Good night, Accepted.'

Kathala turns, her eyes running over the warders and students as she leaves.

Aelrena says 'And to you, Aes Sedai.'

Kathala leaves south. vv

Raeza

Re: A... Wandering Discussion

Post by Raeza » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:29 pm

An enjoyable read, ladies, and not only because you kept veering into philosophy.

Awarded:

Aelrena - 6 rpqps (4 + 2 for editing)
Kathala - 4 rpqps