Catisune says 'Let us conclude on a grave note, then. I am always concluding on graves.'

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Lexiane

Catisune says 'Let us conclude on a grave note, then. I am always concluding on graves.'

Post by Lexiane » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:00 pm

Main characters: Catisune, Lexiane, Aelrena
Perspective: Lexiane

Lexiane interviews Catisune Sedai, with some help from fellow Accepted Aelrena, on what it is the Brown Ajah seeks to foster in their apprentices. They also discuss why Lexiane would be a bad Brown Ajah apprentice.

NOTE - LEXIANE ALREADY AWARDED 3 RPQPS FOR THIS INTERACTION

The Warders' Practice Yard
[ obvious exits: N E S W ]
Zone: White Tower Ground Floor
Door east: officedoor
An iron lantern hangs from the wall above the gate.
A weapon rack stands on the ground here, ready to store weapons.
Some elaborate figurines spew fresh water into a broad basin here.
Catisune Sedai is standing here.
Praetora Ferrara, Wearied Novice is standing here.
A young Tower Guard is on duty here.
A warder's student stands here catching his breath.
A grim storyteller reads from a journal.
Coulin the Master of Arms is here teaching his students.
A gray haired weaponsmaster stands nearby.

Catisune smiles, though the gestures does not touch her large, watery eyes.

Lexiane rushes in, skirts swirling.

Praetora leaves south.

Lexiane delivers a precise curtsy.

Catisune's eyes do warm a little at the Accepted's arrival.

Lexiane says 'Hello, Catisune Sedai!'

Aelrena has arrived from the south.

Lexiane says 'I received your letter and came as quickly as I could.'

Aelrena curtseys before Catisune.

Aelrena leaves west.

Catisune smiles as a bird might, the bun atop her head swaying.

Catisune says 'We have not had much occasion to caucus since you claimed the ring.'

Lexiane says 'Yes, Aes Sedai.'

Catisune says 'Tell me--do these new avenues of study suit you?'

Lexiane says 'I am sure you are quite busy, Aes Sedai.'

Lexiane says 'Yes, Aes Sedai. I think so, Aes Sedai.'

Lexiane says 'Raeza Sedai was not so sure, Aes Sedai.'

Catisune looks down to the tawny bag of sewing trinkets resting at her feet, brimming as it is with books and geegaws galore.

Lexiane says 'So she tasked me with speaking with a member of each Ajah, Aes Sedai.'

Catisune says 'Grab my bag, dear, and let us off to my study then.'

Lexiane says 'After spending some time lurking in the hallways, I realized I could send a note, Aes Sedai.'

Catisune beckons Lexiane to follow her.

Lexiane grabs Catisune's oversized carpetbag, struggling under the weight.

Lexiane now follows Catisune.

Travel to the Brown Ajah quarters...

Catisune leaves north. ^^
Lexiane follows Catisune.

Study of the Brown Ajah
Tall, arched windows in the northern wall open to a balcony, providing a
choice view of the Erinin as it flows south from the Borderlands. Half the
seating in the room is drawn up around the windows, showing that the
occupants appreciate the panorama. The remaining seats are drawn up in
circles of six to eight, allowing Brown Sisters to discuss the furtherance
of knowledge, or new theories in an informal atmosphere. Colorful wall
hangings depicting still lifes decorate the pale white walls.
[ obvious exits: S ]
A large desk made of fine, thick wood stands across the room from here.
Catisune Sedai is standing here.
A silver-haired Aes Sedai sits here, reading.
A Brown Sister is here, frowning pensively.
Danelle Sedai, sitter for the Brown Ajah stands here deep in thought.

Lexiane sets the bag down on the floor, red-faced and huffing.

Lexiane says 'Here is your bag, Aes Sedai.'

Catisune says 'What an apt valet you make, dear.'

Lexiane wipes sweat from her clean-shaven head.

Lexiane says 'I think time away from the farm has made me soft, Aes Sedai.'

Someone knocks on the carveddoor from the other side.

Catisune smiles with beady eyes as she observes the Accepted's effort.

Lexiane says 'Or your bag is heavier than the feed bags we used to buy.'

Catisune gestures with her hand.

The doors smoothly swing open.

Catisune glances at the door and calls, 'You may enter.'

Lexiane starts paying increased attention to her surroundings.

The carveddoor is opened from the other side.

Aelrena has arrived from the south.

Aelrena closes the carveddoor.

Catisune says 'Two things can be true at once, dear, and in this case they may just.'

Aelrena curtseys gracefully.

Catisune's attention drifts to Aelrena, who earns another vague smile.

Aelrena slips into the room and drops into a curtsy as she spreads her skirts and closes the door in
the same gesture.

Lexiane offers a small smile to Aelrena.

Catisune wanders to the plush chairs she favors near the Ajah study windows.

Lexiane says 'Hi, Aelrena! I was just going to ask Catisune Sedai about what it is the Brown Ajah seeks to foster in girls who apprentice their.'

Catisune seats herself with a measure of grace despite her overtly bumbling presentation.

Aelrena chuckles politely.

Lexiane moves to stand before Catisune.

Lexiane says 'Of course, Catisune Sedai, if you wished to speak of something else we can.'

Lexiane says 'I have kept up my poetry reading, Aes Sedai.'

Aelrena says 'I see, I can imagine that's a question that is very mysterious.'

Catisune says 'Far be it for me to keep you from the completion of this very important task set for you by Raeza Sedai.'

Aelrena's tone is dry, her lips quirking up in a smirk, though her eyes sparkle.

Catisune's eyes widen, which is quite a feat considering their size.

Lexiane clears her throat.

Lexiane says 'Shall we begin then, Aes Sedai?'

Catisune addresses both Aelrena and no one at once 'Lexiane attended my poetry seminar as a Novice and made quite an impression.'

Catisune says 'Bring my bag closer, dear.'

Lexiane rushes over to the large bag and lifts it, failing to suppress a grunt.

Lexiane brings it to Catisune's chair and sets it beside the seat.

Lexiane knuckles her back.

Aelrena nods along, taking another, longer glance at Lexiane before dipping her head slightly.

Lexiane runs a hand over her bald head.

Catisune begins retrieving items from the bag.

Lexiane eyes Aelrena self-consciously.

Lexiane says 'Aelrena, did you have something you needed from Catisune Sedai before I interviewed her?'

Lexiane says 'Or did you just want to sit in?'

Catisune first reveals a taxidermied rodent; next, several tools for writing (blotting sand, stoppered ink, loose sheafs of parchment); and finally arriving at the object of her desire.

Lexiane peers warily into Catisune's bag.

Catisune says drily 'As Aelrena is a Brown Apprentice, I thought she might be a useful resource in this conversation.'

Aelrena makes eye contact with the other Accepted and smiles, "I'd intended to merely sit in, maybe give you a mite of support if you needed it."

Lexiane says 'Oh, I didn't know you were apprenticed to the Brown!'

Lexiane smiles at Aelrena.

Aelrena winks suggestively at Lexiane.

Lexiane says 'Did you also have to interview every Ajah to learn more about them?'

Aelrena says 'I spoke to all of the Ajahs before I apprenticed, though I was not assigned it as a
specific task by my mentor.'

Catisune observes the exchange as she continues fussing with her bag. She places the book she retrieved next to her on the seat of the plush chair.

Lexiane says 'Ah, there are quite a few of them. I have had trouble tracking everyone down.'

Lexiane jumps at the sounds of Catisune's bag hitting the chair.

Lexiane blushes and turns back quickly to face Catisune.

Lexiane says 'Did you find what you were looking for, Aes Sedai?'

Catisune purses her lips, a pouch of coins drawn tight 'I thought Lexiane might have a bright future in the Brown, and yet . . .'

Catisune imbues her answer with a few valences of meaning as she levies her considerable attention upon Lexiane 'I think I have, dear.'

Aelrena's eyes slip over to the Aes Sedai, her eyebrows raised as she listens.

Lexiane runs a hand over her bald head.

Catisune exposes her open palms as she says 'Shall we begin?'

Lexiane nods her shaved head.

Lexiane gets a fine quill pen from a belt pack.

Lexiane gets a sheet of paper from a belt pack.

Lexiane grabs a fine quill pen.

Lexiane clears her throat and adjusts her stance.

Lexiane takes on a professional drone and says, 'Do you consent to be interviewed and for your responses to be recorded in my notes, Aes Sedai?'

Aelrena slides over to the window and sits against the sill, watching the Aes Sedai and Accepted before her.

Catisune nods after a careful moment 'I do so consent.'

Lexiane quickly jots something down on the paper before her.

Lexiane continues in her professional drone, 'Now, the purpose of this interview is to better understand what the Brown Ajah looks for in Accepted and what qualities the Brown Ajah seeks to foster in Accepted that apprentice to them.'

Lexiane says 'Now, first question, Aes Sedai.'

Catisune suppresses a small smirk.

Lexiane says 'What qualities do you seek to foster in an Accepted who apprentices to the Brown Ajah?'

Catisune taps her lip thoughtfully.

Lexiane stands stock still, quill frozen above the parchment before her.

Catisune says 'Curiosity is a good start, dear.'

Lexiane says 'Curiosity in all things, Aes Sedai?'

Aelrena's expression remains tranquil, though there is the slightest twitch at the corner of her mouth. She then pulls out some notes from her bag, quickly thumbing through them as she listens to the exchange.

Catisune says 'Perhaps even things one shouldn't be curious about!'

Lexiane makes a few quick notes and then raises her quill above the parchment once again.

Lexiane says 'And what are examples of things that an Accepted should be curious about but at the same time should not be curious about?'

Aelrena coughs quietly, murmuring a pardon under her breath before glancing out the window.

Catisune says 'Sisters of the Brown pursue varied and manifold passions, but we are all yet united by that drive.'

Lexiane scribbles down some notes once more.

Catisune considers this as one might juicy apples at the cart.

Catisune says 'Why, for instance, when I was an Accepted, I made a great study of the Karaethon Cycle, even though my mentor Damena instructed me not to.'

Lexiane says 'Why would you be instructed not to to study them?'

Catisune says 'What a question.'

Lexiane says 'I had thought all would study the Prophecies of the Dragon, regardless of their Apprenticeship.'

Catisune nods, the censorious bun atop her head swaying.

Lexiane says 'It just seems silly, Aes Sedai, to forbid someone from studying a thing that are so important to the world.'

Catisune says 'Mine was more of an . . . advanced study, perhaps not appropriate for an Accepted.'

Lexiane blinks her large doe eyes.

Catisune says 'Many will tell you what is appropriate and what is not. It is the lesson of lifetimes to learn--and unlearn.'

Lexiane lets out a loud laugh as though Catisune has made a joke.

Lexiane says 'That is exactly right, Aes Sedai. Even here, all the time, the rules shift and change depending on who you speak with!'

Aelrena goes back to thumbing through her own notes, gently tapping the end of her nose occasionally in thought.

Catisune says 'Of course, I wrote all my notes in a cipher so that Damena could never catch me in my lie--for an Accepted must never lie. She must live as though she has sworn the sacred oaths.'

Lexiane nods solemnly.

Catisune says 'The rules change, Lexiane, but you must remain steadfast.'

Lexiane blanches at the phrase 'remain steadfast.'

Lexiane says 'Of course, Aes Sedai.'

Catisune says 'But what were we talking about?'

Lexiane says 'Well, we were discussing what it is the Brown Ajah seeks to foster in Accepted apprenticed to them, Aes Sedai.'

Catisune looks down to her hands as if she's just noticed them for the first time in her life. She turns them up and down to observe both sides.

Catisune nods at Lexiane.

Lexiane says 'You said curiosity, Aes Sedai. Even curiosity that an Accepted should not have, Aes Sedai.'

Catisune says 'We got as far as curiosity. Does that satisfy?'

Lexiane says 'Then I said well, what would an example of the desired yet undesired curiosity be, Aes Sedai.'

Lexiane says 'Then you said well I studied the Prophecy of the Dragon despite being told not to, Aes Sedai.'

Catisune nods along to the recap, bun swaying.

Lexiane says 'Then I said why would you be told not to, Aes Sedai.'

Lexiane says 'Then you said well I did an advanced study, Aes Sedai.'

Lexiane says 'Then we deviated a bit.'

Catisune steeples her fingers beneath her chin.

Lexiane tics off the paper as she reaches the end of her notes.

Aelrena chuckles quietly under her breath and looks back up, glancing between the two speaking.

Catisune suppresses another smile, though her large, watery eyes twinkle.

Catisune says 'Let us continue then.'

Lexiane scratches at her scalp with the quill.

Lexiane says 'Well, if there is nothing else the Brown Ajah seeks to foster in Accepted they apprentice...'

Lexiane says 'And there is nothing else, Aes Sedai?'

Catisune says 'Let us ask Aelrena for her perspective.'

Catisune turns as a stile might as her attention shifts to the Accepted loitering near the window.

Lexiane turns to stare at Aelrena.

Lexiane says 'Aelrena, Catisune Sedai has instructed me to ask for your perspective on what it is the Brown Ajah seeks to foster in apprenticed Accepted'

Lexiane says 'Now the task is intended for Aes Sedai, but I agree with Catisune Sedai's assessment that an active apprentice may have a unique perspective that can add to the discussion.'

Aelrena says 'I believe that there are many things that the Brown Ajah seeks to foster in its apprentices, but I believe foremost among them is a devotion to knowledge it whatever form that takes.'

Lexiane freezes again, quill hovering inches form the parchment before her.

Lexiane says 'Fascinating that you believe that in contradiction to what Catisune Sedai has said.'

Lexiane turns quickly to face Catisune.

Catisune nods encouragingly as she fetches her embroidery hoop from the clunky bag of trinkets resting at her feet.

Lexiane says 'Do you believe that devotion to knowledge is fostered beyond curiosity, Aes Sedai?'

Catisune says 'Are they not the same thing, dear? Or shall we play semantics? This is not the Hall of Inferences, after all.'

Lexiane says 'I do not believe they are the same thing, no, Aes Sedai.'

Catisune says 'Soon, Raeza Sedai will have you two debating there, and I shall sit in judgment, of course.'

Aelrena says 'Every sister of the Brown I've spoken to has a different perspective, a different focus. Yet each in her own right is devoted to bringing and discovering knowledge that it can be preserved for the future.'

Lexiane says 'For example, should a person have a rare or last copy of a book, it would be devotion to knowledge that compelled them to retain the book, no?'

Catisune nods, the bun atop her head swaying.

Lexiane says 'Now imagine a situation where there is a massive chest, its contents unknown.'

Lexiane says 'Rumors swirl about what the contents of that chest could be!'

Catisune closes her large, watery eyes as she imagines.

Aelrena says 'There's a difference between a devotion to knowledge, and a... possessiveness of it.'

Lexiane is animated now, waving her hand.

Lexiane says 'But the requirement to open that chest is to destroy this rare book. The last copy of it!'

Lexiane says 'Curiosity would dictate that you destroy the book and open the chest.'

Lexiane says 'Devotion to knowledge that you maintain the book.'

Aelrena listens, her eyebrow arching upward.

Lexiane shrugs.

Catisune says 'What hot water we find ourselves in, and perhaps you have found the flaw in my logic, dear.'

Lexiane says 'They seem quite different motivations, to me.'

Aelrena says 'Lexiane, there's a simple solution to this.'

Lexiane blushes again, the red creeping up her skin and reaching her bald scalp!

Lexiane says 'Well assume you cannot make a copy of the book, Aelrena! And that its pages are warded in such a way that it cannot be memorized.'

Aelrena says 'Your original argument by no means states that you cannot make a copy of said book, and so once you create a copy you would be capable of dest-'

Lexiane says 'Yes, I see there are ways to untie the knot but for the purpose of this exercise we are making a knot that cannot be untied.'

Lexiane says 'So we either burn the book or we keep the chest closed.'

Catisune says 'So curiosity is a good start, as I said, but perhaps my apprentice has the right of it--for Sisters of the Brown are charged with the safekeeping of knowledge.'

Lexiane says 'Ah, fascinating, Aes Sedai!'

Catisune says 'You should write that down, dear.'

Lexiane scribbles more notes.

Catisune gestures toward Lexiane's notes.

Catisune says 'Logic rules the day, even in the Study of the Brown Ajah. Raeza will be so pleased.'

Lexiane says 'So curiosity is subordinate to devotion to knowledge?'

Catisune's eyes narrow uncharacteristically.

Catisune says 'Insofar as it pertains to the archiving and care of extant texts, of course, dear.'

Lexiane scribbles more notes.

Aelrena crosses her arms and adjusts her position against the window sill.

Lexiane says 'How interesting to have a hierarchy of things you wish to foster.'

Lexiane says 'Is there anything else that falls above or below devotion to knowledge, Aes Sedai?'

Catisune says 'Many things below, I suspect.'

Catisune says 'But I will not articulate them all today.'

Lexiane sighs as she writes a few more lines.

Lexiane says 'Only one other question then, Aes Sedai.'

Lexiane says 'Or Aelrena is also welcome to answer it, Aes Sedai, as she has a unique persepctive.'

Catisune says 'Perhaps we both will.'

Aelrena quietly fingers her great serpent ring, spinning it slowly about.

Lexiane says 'If there is time...?'

Lexiane nods her bald head eagerly.

Catisune says 'There is world enough and time, dear.'

Lexiane says 'Excellent.'

Lexiane says 'So, my final question then, for you Catisune Sedai or possibly for you as well Aelrena, depending upon Catisune Sedai's determination'

Lexiane says 'Why do you think I would be a bad fit for the Brown Ajah, Aes Sedai and possibly Aelrena?'

Lexiane stands frozen once more, quill hovering.

Catisune says 'I do not think you would be a bad fit for the Brown Ajah, Lexiane.'

Lexiane frowns.

Lexiane says 'There is nothing about me that would possibly come into conflict with the Brown Ajah and thus make me a poor fit for an Apprenticeship within the Ajah?'

Catisune taps her lip thoughtfully.

Catisune says 'Well, you would make a better White apprentice.'

Lexiane scribbles in her notes.

Catisune says 'That is the reason I'd give you even as I tried to snatch you in your bed!'

Catisune makes a grabbing motion with her hand to spook the Accepted.

Lexiane stifles a giggle.

Lexiane says 'If I might also offer a reason, Aes Sedai?'

Catisune says 'Your reason is more important than mine in this regard, I'm afraid.'

Catisune says 'You'd burn the book?'

Catisune says 'For the chest?'

Lexiane says 'Yes.'

Lexiane says 'I would burn the book to open the chest.'

Lexiane says 'Truth, Aes Sedai, is much more important to me than knowledge.'

Catisune says 'I'm glad someone would, even though I couldn't do it myself.'

A scout narrates 'Call the banners! Shadowspawn sighted at Dark Forest!'

Lexiane smiles happily.

Catisune says 'Tell Raeza Sedai she has my compliments and recommendation then, dear.'

Aelrena flinches slightly at the statement, her eyes turning harder as she listens.

Lexiane says 'Compliments for what?'

Lexiane says 'And what do you recommend, Aes Sedai?'

Catisune says 'I am recommending you and complimenting her hair.'

Catisune says 'You can tell her I said that.'

Catisune smiles softly, the briefest twitch of her tiny lips.

Lexiane smiles happily.

Lexiane says 'Thank you for the recommendation, Aes Sedai.'

Catisune says 'You are a supreme disappointment to me, Lexiane.'

Lexiane looks crestfallen.

Lexiane says 'I wouldn't really burn a book, Aes Sedai. I like books!'

Catisune says 'For you would have made an excellent Brown.'

Lexiane says 'Unless I was very cold and had no wood, of course.'

Catisune winks one of her large, watery eyes.

Lexiane perks up.

Lexiane says 'Oh, thank you Aes Sedai!'

Catisune says 'Of course, of course.'

Lexiane blushes again, red creeping up her face.

Catisune says 'What poetry did you bring?'

Lexiane says 'Oh, I nearly forgot!'

Lexiane scrambles through her bag.

Catisune looks on expectantly if indifferently.

Lexiane says 'I have found a borderland poet'

Lexiane says 'Unknown author, Aes Sedai.'

Lexiane says 'Who has some lovely poems on regret, among other things.'

Aelrena looks back down to the notes in her lap before folding the corner of one of the pages and gently tucking them away.

Lexiane clears her throat, then recites in a high clear voice.

Lexiane says 'Along the roadside,'

Catisune perks up in her plush chair.

Lexiane says 'blossoming wild roses'

Lexiane says 'in my horse's mouth.'

Catisune sighs somewhat wistfully.

Lexiane smiles slightly.

Lexiane says 'Another?'

Catisune says 'If you have another.'

Lexiane says 'This one is my favorite, I think.'

Lexiane says 'Eaten alive by'

Lexiane says 'lice and fleas -- now the horse'

Lexiane says 'beside my pillow pees'

Lexiane struggles to keep her smile from her face.

Catisune does not cackle, but the impetus is certainly there.

Lexiane says 'Perhaps a final poem, Aes Sedai? A more somber one.'

Aelrena's lips quirk again, and her eyes dart to the other Accepted.

Lexiane says 'Nothing in the cry'

Lexiane says 'of cicadas suggests they'

Lexiane says 'are about to die.'

Catisune says 'How erudite.'

Lexiane pauses, letting the poem settle in the room.

Lexiane says 'Yes, I quite liked the range, Aes Sedai.'

Aelrena smiles happily.

Lexiane says 'I suspect a soldier who was not so enamored with being a soldier.'

Catisune nods thoughtfully.

Lexiane says 'Well thank you, Aes Sedai. If I may be excused?'

Catisune says 'A moment.'

Catisune says 'liveaward Lexiane 3 rpqps for Ajah Interview'

A silver-haired Aes Sedai says 'As you command, Catisune Sedai. I will now award LIVE QPS.'

A silver-haired Aes Sedai says 'It is done.'

Catisune says 'You may go.'

Lexiane curtseys to her audience.

Lexiane says 'Thank you, Aes Sedai.'

Raeza

Re: Catisune says 'Let us conclude on a grave note, then. I am always concluding on graves.'

Post by Raeza » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:22 pm

This was a very nice log.

Awarded:

Lexiane - 2 rpqps (for editing only, the content being already awarded)
Catisune - 3 rpqps
Aelrena - 1 rpqp

Please visit the silver-haired sister.