The Oaths and the distinction between Shadowspawn and undesireables

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Hypatia

The Oaths and the distinction between Shadowspawn and undesireables

Post by Hypatia » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:32 pm

Context: Wearied Novice Alitherin and mere Fledgling Novice Hypatia have a natter about the Oaths, the One Power as a weapon versus Shadowspawn and the distinction between Dreadlords, known darkfriends and undesireables such as the Whitecloaks and Questioners.

In the Well
This open-roofed building used to house the initiates of the Tower consists
of nine levels, but only three of them are currently in use. A number of
small, windowless rooms open up to a gallery which surrounds a courtyard,
there is ample fresh air. A fountain with a small garden sits at the bottom
of this well, the sound of falling waters echoing among the towering walls.
[ obvious exits: E W ]
A young girl in a plain white dress stands here.
Alitherin Asher the Wearied Novice is standing here.
A scrawny puppy sniffs the ground for food here.
Kennira, Caretaker of Novices tends to the boarding of her young charges.

Hypatia says ‘oh no. I’ve spent my entire life close-by, growing up in Alindaer just to the Southwest.'

Hypatia says ‘I'd seen Aes Sedai coming and going all my life, but I guess that my Maam told me never to approach them. Just to treat them with respect.’

Alitherin chuckles politely.

Alitherin says 'Funny how so many of us come from so many places, yet we all end up here together.'

Hypatia says ‘where are you from? I so love to hear about far off places!

Alitherin says 'I'm from Kandor. Chachin, specifically.'

Hypatia exclaims 'oh wow! That is a long way away. I think it is where my spear came from.' - it wasn't - here is me confusing Chachin and Touchan.

Alitherin says 'My family was military, so the routine of the Tower came pretty naturally to me.'

Hypatia says ‘my mother is a seamstress, so there was no military training and just washing dishes for the three of us.’

Hypatia smiles happily.

Hypatia says how do you find the Tower and the Sisters? How have you managed with all there is to learn?

Alitherin says 'So far everyone has been very kind and helpful.'

Alitherin says 'It is so much to learn. I've taken a few classes where I can and spent time exploring the grounds to know where everything is.'

Hypatia says 'oh yes! Everyone seems so friendly - even the Aes Sedai, when I previously thought them so aloof!'

Hypatia frowns, exaggerating a look of sheer frustration.

Hypatia says 'it just makes me want to try harder! …but then I get confused where to focus...'

Hypatia says 'I had an interesting lesson with Sitter Sarinda yesterday, but was so embarrassed when I couldn’t get the wording of the third oath correct.'

Alitherin says 'I was lucky enough to have written them down in my notes when she quizzed me on them the other day.'

Hypatia smiles and claps her hands together.

Hypatia says 'that is a good idea! I had the meaning right, and the general words close, but as with many Aes Sedai things, the exact words are important.'

Alitherin says 'I have found Sarinda Sedai and Chloro Sedai to be quite thorough in their questions.'

Hypatia says 'oh yes. It was Chloro Sedai who tested me for the spark! who showed me how to touch the Source!'

Hypatia smiles happily.

Hypatia says 'what sort of things have they quizzed you on since you were a fledgeling Novice?'

Alitherin strokes her chin thoughtfully.

Alitherin says 'Aside from the three oaths, they had Accepted Verne teach the rosebud technique, had me prove that I could lead them around the Tower, and make sure I know the rules.'

Hypatia says 'I've been writing the oaths out as lines to help commit the exact words to memory.'

Hypatia says 'To speak no word that is not true.'

Hypatia says 'To make no weapon with which one man may kill another.'

Hypatia says 'Not to use the One Power as a weapon except against Shadowspawn, or in the last defense of my life, the life of my Warder, or that of another Sister.'

Hypatia squeals in delight.

Hypatia says 'I think I got them right that time!'

Alitherin says 'That looks perfect to me!'

Alitherin smiles happily.

Hypatia says 'and between Mistress Sheriam Sedai and Mistress Laras, I think I have scrubbed every inch of the tower until it is sparkling.'

Alitherin laughs lightly.

Hypatia bites her lip thoughtfully.

Hypatia says 'but Sitter Sarinda said I need to spend time reflecting on the meaning of each word of the Oaths and the true meaning.'

Alitherin says 'Is there a deeper meaning to them? I don't think I've spent too much time reflecting on the meanings other than what they are at face value.'

Alitherin says 'The second one always confused me the most. I have heard of blades forged from the One Power. They had to have come from somewhere!'

Hypatia says 'Oh, I was asking that myself, but it seems that those swords were made before the Oaths were taken.'

Alitherin says 'That would make sense.'

Alitherin says 'Those weapons probably have survived quite some time.'

Hypatia says 'I understand the Brown Ajah would have studied them extensively. Apparently, they never get tarnished or go dull as other metals would.'

Hypatia says 'it still confuses me, because we are taught to use the One Power itself as a weapon, which seems far more powerful than any sword.'

Alitherin says 'I guess that is why the third oath exists, to make sure that as Aes Sedai, we will be reserved in our use of such power.'

Hypatia nods in agreement.

Hypatia says 'that is the one I tripped up on with Sarinda Sedai.'

Hypatia says 'I forgot the part about being able to use the power against Shadowspawn.'

Hypatia says 'as the Sitter said - the words are important.'

Alitherin says 'It is good that Aes Sedai can use the One Power against shadowspawn unrestricted'

Hypatia nods slowly.

Hypatia says 'it is an important distinction that an Aes Sedai can be proactive in the fight against Shadowspawn. '

Hypatia says 'but I am confused, because there are human people who serve the shadow just as much as trollocs, but the oath implies that an Aes Sedai can't take the same action as with a trolloc?'

Alitherin says 'I feel like that may be a question for the Whites, but humans that serve the shadow seem like they could fall into the same category as 'shadowspawn''

Hypatia nods slowly.

Hypatia says 'I suppose that if a human was known to be a dreadlord, then there would be no distinction...'

Hypatia says 'but as with all three oaths, a large part is about trust for the people.'

Alitherin says 'Would a known darkfriend not count?'

Hypatia says 'yes. I think the Aes Sedai would have to make judgement that the Darkfriend is recognised or can be proven as such.'

Alitherin says 'You could make the argument that any time you are around a known darkfriend you could consider your life in danger, so perhaps in that case the 'shadowspawn' designation wouldn't matter.'

Alitherin says 'So many facets to consider!'

Hypatia says 'People would likely become frightened if Aes Sedai used the power as a weapon against a common criminal, unless the criminal was taking actions that made it obvious that they were placing your life in danger.'

Alitherin says 'Since you bring that up, it makes me wonder... is the main purpose of the three oaths to help the outside world trust us? And if so, has it been successful?'

Hypatia nods in agreement. 'I think it is all about trust... but whether it has been successful? Maybe that is a question for the Brown or White Ajah.'

Alitherin says 'Or even the Gray, with their negotiations.'

Hypatia says 'the fact that there are children of the Light and Questioners and many who are …misguided in their beliefs… may imply otherwise.'

Alitherin strokes her chin thoughtfully.

Hypatia says 'But would there be more people and Nations opposed to the Aes Sedai without the Oaths? It seems likely.'

Alitherin smiles happily.

Alitherin says 'I agree'

Hypatia wrinkles her nose in distaste.

Alitherin says 'I wonder if anything could ever be done to earn their trust, oaths or not'
Hypatia says 'My maam said I always talked too much and to str
angers at that! I spoke to Whitecloaks that came through Alindaer growing up.'

Hypatia says 'one or two ...seemed... pleasant enough, only with a terrible hatred of the Aes Sedai, but others... they seemed almost feral.'

A novice leaves west.

Hypatia says 'and I wouldn’t go near the Questioners. They seem almost manic in the way they look about. It could be that they are tainted by their fear - tainted by madness.'

Alitherin says 'Oh yeah, I've met a few of them, and they're very dangerous. I would steer well clear of them even before I found I had the spark.'

Hypatia says 'When I was 12, one of them called me a Witch, just because I was a girl. Kept going on about all women are witches and should all be burned.'

Alitherin boggles at the thought.

Hypatia says 'it was terrifying, but my mother said it was just his fear speaking.'

Hypatia says 'my dad though... he wondered what the man thought of his own mother.'

Alitherin says 'They wouldn't dare say such things if they were inside of Tar Valon, or their thugs all backing them up!'

Hypatia says 'but the Oaths…'

A novice has arrived from the west.

Hypatia snickers now, asking 'I'm sure I'd love to tweak the man’s nose with a thread of air and give him the fright of his life, but would that be breaking the third oath?'

Alitherin says 'I think you could make an argument that you wouldn't be using it as a 'weapon' in that case'

Alitherin winks suggestively at Hypatia.

Hypatia says 'I wouldnt be using it as a weapon, but he would think it was...'

Hypatia chuckles politely.

Alitherin says 'If he attacked, then your life would be in danger!'

Alitherin says 'And I'm sure he would regret such a decision'

Hypatia says 'oh no! not me. But I think that If I was an Aes Sedai I would enjoy going around tweaking LOTS of Whitecloaks ears and noses!'

Hypatia giggles, then trails off… adding 'but then do the Whitecloaks even believe the Oaths?'

Alitherin says 'I bet they believe all of us to be darkfriends and wouldn't care if we took oaths or not.'

Alitherin says 'They are mad.'

Hypatia says 'it would be fun... until they attacked I guess.'

Alitherin says 'I don't think they'd dare other than to try to sneak up on you in the wilderness.'

Alitherin says 'Oh wow, the sun is getting lower in the sky than I thought. I have to be getting back to a few duties before I get some rest. I may be around later though.'

Alitherin says 'This has been an enlightening conversation.'

Hypatia says 'I too. Have a lovely day!'

Hypatia hugs her.

Kennira, Caretaker of Novices tells you, 'Your rent allowance is currently 16 gold crowns and 2 coppers per day.
Hypatia have 3 gold crowns and 17 coppers left unused on your allowance.
Hypatia's rent is free!'

Catisune

Re: The Oaths and the distinction between Shadowspawn and undesireables

Post by Catisune » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:05 am

RPQPs for Hypatia and Alitherin. See any silver-haired Aes Sedai to 'receive' them.