Theory - combat weaves against an enemy channeler

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Hypatia

Theory - combat weaves against an enemy channeler

Post by Hypatia » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:20 am

Context: A lesson in theory from Sarinda Sedai, Sitter for the Red Ajah, one the use of combat weaves versus another channerler, be they Dreadlord, Male Channeler or Seanchan Damane.

Sarinda led the session.
Aelrena logged the discussion and participated.
Hypatia participated and posted w some editing.

Den of the Red Ajah
This room reflects the cool nature of the Red Ajah, the furnishings just as
severe as the rest of the room. A gilded chair rests near the center of the
room, accompanied by an equally elaborate dark wooden desk. Chairs have
been drawn up to the tall, arched windows, which look over the western side
of Tar Valon, the western bank of the Erinin and Dragonmount beyond,
serving as a constant reminder of the purpose of the Red Ajah.
[ obvious exits: E ]
Zone: White Tower Upper Floors
Door east: door
A chair made of red oak rests next to the table.
A large desk made of fine, thick wood stands across the room from here.
Hypatia the Fledgling Novice is standing here.
Sarinda din Rovan, Elder Sister is standing here.
A silver-haired Aes Sedai sits here, reading.
A Red Sister stares down here nose here.
Galina Casban completely ignores you.

Sarinda nods in agreement.

Hypatia smiles at Aelrena.

Aelrena curtseys before her.

Sarinda says 'Accepted, this is novice Hypatia.'

Hypatia puts a water skin on her belt.

Sarinda says 'Have you two met yet?'

Hypatia curtseys before Aelrena.

Hypatia says 'Thank you Aes Sedai, we have met only recently.'

Aelrena says 'I believe we've met in passing in the Well, Sarinda Sedai. It's where I've taken to riting up my lesson plans of late.'

Sarinda smiles warmly.

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, she wished to meet with me to discuss strategies on basics for channeling in combat against another channeler.'

Sarinda says 'If you are available and interested in a brief informal lesson, you are welcome to sit in as well.'

Hypatia smiles happily.

Sarinda says 'I understand, of course, if the Brown Ajah has gotten their hands on you and need you
to work on some other things.'

Sarinda flashes a wolfish grin.

Aelrena nods slowly and cautiously, her eyebrow quirking up before the Aes Sedai finishes her statement.

Aelrena ponders life, the universe, and everything.

Hypatia says '... If it pleases the Light... um yes, well mention of the Invaders and their leashes the other day, had me more than a little concerned. '

Sarinda's face darkens.

Sarinda says 'Yes, their...damane.'

Sarinda spits over her shoulder.

Aelrena holds up a stack of papers, "I would love to sit in, if you wouldn't mind if I glance through and edit these plans on the side, Sarinda Sedai.

Sarinda nods at Aelrena.

Hypatia says 'but also interested in learning, because well... while it appears Aes Sedai must battle them, it is possible we may rescue them as well.'

Sarinda says 'A multi-tasker. Hah! You have chosen the Brown Ajah well. '

Sarinda coughs loudly.

Aelrena senses Sarinda connecting to the True Source.

Sarinda gestures and the door slams shut from an unseen force.

Sarinda sits down and rests on a stout oaken chair.

Sarinda says 'Yes, Accepted, feel free to work on your notes as we talk.'

Sarinda beams a smile at Hypatia.

Sarinda says 'Hypatia, if it pleases the Light, let us pretend for a moment that I am a male channeler attacking you with the One Power.'

Hypatia moves to be seated, mirroring Aelrena, but eyes focussed solely on the Aes Sedai.

Hypatia nods, eyes widening slightly, but nonetheless still and calm.

Sarinda says 'What are some of the weaves that might be important for you to have available to defend yourself against my wrath?'

Aelrena moves over to the side of the room, and lays her papers out on the floor as she settles down, one hand moving quickly as she scans through the notes, editing them, periodically looking up to the pair.

Hypatia says 'well... the first that jumps to mind is Shield, which you demonstrated to Aja and myself, only a couple of days ago.'

Hypatia says 'it was scary enough for us, who are only new to touching the One Source.'

Hypatia says 'but I would think that a male channeler would be turned into any, as weak as any normal man, if you were able to shield them.'

Sarinda says 'Well, this weave is currently only available to members of the Red Ajah.'

Aelrena murmurs "A blinding weave" beneath her breath as she continues editing her notes.

Sarinda says 'What are some other, more common choices of weaves you might use?'

Hypatia says 'ahh, well, we were working on fear and cure fear in practice yesterday, as well as blind, which would make it hard for them to target you, I guess, if they cannot see you.'

Hypatia says 'certainly, I dont think I could focus well, if I was feared in battle.'

Sarinda leans over and pulls out a piece of paper and an inkpen from a drawer in the desk, then creates two columns on the paper.

Sarinda says 'Several of these weaves you have mentioned are what are commonly referred to as status ailment weaves.'

Hypatia says 'but would a channeler not then also cast cure fear or cure blindness or use a draught
immediately and be protected?'

Sarinda says 'Fear, Blind, Chill, Contagion, and so on can be considered status ailments.'

Hypatia smiles happily.

Sarinda writes these names down in one column and labels it appropriately.

Hypatia smiles happily.

Sarinda says 'Hmm. Do you have training in Cure Blindness, Hypatia? Or carry a bubbling draught?'

Hypatia says 'I have been training in the curing side of those status ailments. Being confined to the Island, I felt it might be the most use I could be soonest.'

Sarinda says 'Indeed.'
Aelrena marks out a particularly long line off of her page before looking up, her gaze drifting between the two speaking in front of her.

Hypatia says 'I have learned chill and remove contagion, cure blindness and cure fear.'

Sarinda says 'Cure Blindness requires 1 thread of Fire and 3 threads of Spirit.'

Sarinda says 'It takes approximately 10 pulses of time to form and complete the flows, and 10 SP.'

Sarinda says 'Now, when you are blind, your ability to defend yourself plummets.'

Hypatia nods in agreement.

Sarinda says 'Against a naive male channeler, one with minimal skill, I have seen Blind be an incredible weapon.'

Hypatia nods bashfully, going beetroo red in the face.

Den of the Red Ajah

Sarinda din Rovan, Elder Sister is resting here on a stout oaken chair.

Sarinda says 'Chill, on the other hand, is quite ineffective. It makes them slightly easier to bash, but that is not relevant to virtually all women. They are slightly easier to hit in combat.'

Aelrena looks back down and writes a small note in the margin before circling it, and flipping to the next page.

Hypatia says 'oh... is that why we dont have any cure chill weave too?'

Sarinda says 'Well, the easiest way to remove Chill is to warm up the body.'

Sarinda says 'Fire weaves, in particular, will erase the condition.'

Sarinda says 'Fear, interestingly, has minimal impact on channeler versus channeler combat.'

Hypatia says 'with fireball or flamestrike? Although they wouldnt be called 'cures'.'

Aelrena chuckles quietly to herself, murmuring "Fireball I hear does quite nicely for that."

Sarinda nods at Hypatia.

Sarinda says 'Fear will make it harder to engage a foe in combat.'

Sarinda says 'But it does not affect weaving the Power, for the large pot.'

Sarinda coughs, 'Part.'

Hypatia nods thoughtfully.

Hypatia says 'does poison work like contagion then... reducing the channelers abilities all around, or is contagion better to use in general?'

Aelrena sets her notes to the side and looks up as she crosses through one final line, her attention clearly now entirely focused upon the lesson.

Hypatia says 'although how do these 'ummm status weaves' fit within general ethics. I mean, if we're under attack, we can use the one-power to defend ourselves of course.'

Sarinda says 'If a man blinded you...'

Sarinda says 'woudl you feel threatened?'

Sarinda smirks.

Hypatia says 'yes indeed. '

Hypatia says 'if a man made a lightball, I think I would be terrified!'

Hypatia says 'just knowing he could Channel and break the world!'

Hypatia gets a plate of roast lamb with apple jelly from a backpack.

Hypatia eats a plate of roast lamb with apple jelly.

Hypatia stops using a water skin.

Hypatia drinks water from a water skin.

Hypatia puts a water skin on her belt.

Hypatia looks down at her feet for a moment.

Hypatia says 'but, I guess I wouldnt feel so worried about channeling contagion on him... once I'd been cured of the blindness.'

Aelrena smiles and chuckles slightly at the Novice's words.

Hypatia thinks hard. "So, I had thought we were only learning these weaves to use for practice curing them with the other novices and accepted.

Aelrena ponders life, the universe, and everything.

Hypatia says 'but it seems that they might be very useful, for the more experienced Aes Sedai, when they need to deal with enemy channelers, or even with enemy soldiers.'

Hypatia smiles happily.

Aelrena says 'If I might speak, I believe that while being able to cure these weaves is helpful, it's also nice to be able to call upon them when your life is in danger.'

nod Hypatia

Aelrena nods at her.

Hypatia smiles at Aelrena.

Sarinda din Rovan, Elder Sister [Red Ajah Sitter]

Hypatia says 'oh, most definitely... Maybe I forgot that the world was so dangerous, living in the safety of these walls. '

Aelrena says 'From the mouth of an initiate with a talent for healing, while I've seldom found a need to heal some of the statuses that these weaves inflict, I've found use in non-lethal weaves many times in my life was in danger.'

nod Hypatia
Aelrena nods at her.

Hypatia says 'it started to seem like theory, but then speaking to the Red Ajah, it reminds you that these are all tools to be used in the real world.'

Aelrena says 'An enemy more worried about his cold body, blinded eyes, or pustuled skin is less likely to chase you.'

Hypatia says 'And has yorur life already been in danger many times as an accepted?'

Aelrena says 'or at least, to injure you while he tries.'

Sarinda smiles knowingly.

Aelrena says 'I think that danger has a habit of finding women of the Tower.'

Sarinda nods at Aelrena.

Aelrena nods at her.

Hypatia says 'I should think most men and even trollocs would think twice about chasing you once you've managed to blind and contagion them'

Sarinda smiles knowingly.

Sarinda says 'Well, let me pose this hypothetical.'

Sarinda says 'How would you Contagion or Blind me, if I am weaving faster than you and hitting you to interrupt your flows?'

Sarinda says 'Blind, for example, requires you to be unengaged in combat to form the flows.'

Sarinda says 'But if I attack you and engage in combat, and then begin weaving, say, Flame Strike.'

Hypatia says 'well, I would need to run, or somehow get you out of your own rhythm'

Sarinda says 'Which, like Hailstorm of Hammer of Air, needs 9 pulses to form.'

Sarinda says 'Earthquake, 8.'

Sarinda says 'You can see how perhaps it might be hard to rely on a status ailment.'

Sarinda says 'These can completely change the flow of battle. But some like Chill have minimal effect on a channeler's ability to weave, and for many others, there is a simple potion one can use to not only cure the illness, but to prevent them from being influenced by it for the the next few hours (ticks).'

Sarinda gets a bubbling draught from a belt pack.

Sarinda puts a bubbling draught in a belt pack.

Sarinda points to the second column on her paper. 'The second type of weave, then, would be classic damage weaves.'

Hypatia says 'use a quick damage weave to put interupt your own flows?'

Sarinda says 'There are several types of combat weaves, generally falling into fast, short, and area of effect.'

Sarinda says 'If I weave even a single fraction of a moment (pulse) faster than you do, and complete my flows, and do not fail to form the weave, then it will not only harm you, but it will also interrupt you.'

Hypatia says 'you speak of how fast these weaves are... So it is something we should be paying attention too, how quickly the weave coallesces, once channeled? '

Sarinda says 'For this reason, a channeler who is fast on their feet and walks into the combat with full strength in the Source is a serious threat.'

Sarinda says 'Absolutely.'

Sarinda says 'Damane, for example...'

Sarinda spits over her shoulder.

Sarinda says 'Most of them, if it pleases the Light, do not have training in the ability to form fast weaves. Only the most skilled damane can form the Flame Strike weave.'

Sarinda says 'So, you will see more often they will use Ice Spikes, or sometimes Sonic Boom, which takes the same amount of time but can have the flows form without a target in sight.'

Sarinda says 'Hammer of Air is not routinely used for this purpose, because even thought it is the same speed as Flame Strike or Hailstorm, it is less damaging and thus less efficient.'

Hypatia says 'Oh! So they would channel it, knowing that an enemy was chasing them.'

Sarinda says 'Hammer of Air, on average, deals 27 damage and is independent of weather effects as
far as I have seen.'

Sarinda says 'It requires 12 SP to form the flows.'

Sarinda says 'Because you must have greater than at least double the cost of saidar remaining to complete the weave, even the most willful channelers (Will 19) can form 12 of these weaves in a short period of time.'

Sarinda says 'This is just enough to deal enough damage to kill the average channeler, but only barely.'

Sarinda frowns.

Sarinda says 'Flame Strike, in contrast, deals 31.5 damage and is also independent of air temperature or weather conditions, and needs only 10 SP to form the flows.'

Hypatia says 'Forgive me Aes Sedai, but it seems that there is just so much to learn, that I'm not even aware of. '

Sarinda says 'It takes some time, indeed.'

Sarinda says 'Put simply, if it pleases the Light, the most important and standard weave you should use in combat against a channeler will be Flame Strike, if you have training in it, or perhaps Hailstorm, if you use that one instead.'

Hypatia says 'I had not begun to consider the damage versus SPs, and only really started to get a

Hypatia says 'yet hailstorm is weather dependent? like Ice Spikes?'

Sarinda says 'Slightly so, yes. But only in hot weather. In 75 degrees or cooler, it is apparently unchanged in damage.'

Hypatia smiles happily.

Sarinda says 'So the only time you will see it considerably weaker is in desert climates, such as the Aiel Waste, or the Blight.'

Sarinda says 'And because desert climates are cooler at night, even then, its damage is typically good.'

Hypatia says 'It will be fun when we're allowed to spar (Accepted).'

Hypatia stops using a water skin.

Sarinda says 'All women of the Tower are strongly encouraged to get at least one longer damaging weave, such as Ice Spikes, because of how efficient it is, and then at least one faster weave, such as Hailstorm or Flame Strike.'

Sarinda says 'Have you studied Hailstorm or Flame Strike yet?'

Hypatia says 'not as yet Aes Sedai. '

Den of the Red Ajah

Sarinda din Rovan, Elder Sister is resting here.

Hypatia says 'although I think it will be next on my list to start learning.'

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, once you have superb training (90% or higher) in one of these, I would be willing to engage in spars with you privately, even as a novice.'

Hypatia eats a hunk of beef.

Sarinda says 'There are only a handful of weaves that require more than 1 thread of Fire.'

Hypatia looks both pleased and terrified at once.

Hypatia murmers to herself 'like the ca thtat fell into a bucket of cream...'

Sarinda says 'Fireball, Flame Strike, Slice Weaves, and Elemental Staff are all available to women of the Tower, with sufficient strength in Fire.'

Sarinda gets a mug of ale from a belt pack.

Sarinda drinks water from a mug of ale.

Sarinda puts a mug of ale in a belt pack.

Hypatia says 'truth be told, that is why I had not thought to learn Flame Strike until, now, because it would require so much more effort and study of Fire'

Sarinda says 'But if you do not intent to frequent the Blight as an Aes Sedai, or learn at least one other weave from that list, then there is little point in studying Flame Strike.'

Sarinda says 'Hailstorm requires 4 flows of Water and 1 of Air, which is easy enough for a novice to learn and comparable in almost all situations. I would suggest you start there.'

Aelrena chuckles quietly, then swapping over to a quiet grumble beneath her breath at the mention of strength in Fire.

Hypatia says 'to go back to your earliest question, I expect slice weaves would be useful too in combatting a channeler?'

Sarinda says 'Yes and no. It is an interesting debate among my Sisters in the Red Ajah.'

Sarinda says 'The current iteration of the weave we have discovered requires 7 pulses to form the flows, and 8 SP.'

Sarinda says 'But if you tie the opponent and form your flows at the same time, then Slice will fail, and their damage weave will land.'

Sarinda says 'When you land it, there is a slight delay, I think 2 pulses, before the opponent can respond.'

Hypatia nods slowly.

Sarinda says 'The problem is that Slicing your opponent successfully means that you lose 8 SP, and they lose none.'

Hypatia says 'so they dont lose the SPs from the weave they were casting?'

Sarinda says 'Correct.'

Sarinda frowns.

Sarinda says 'If this were true, or if Slice were cheaper to weave, then I would argue that it would be an extremely viable strategy with a high skill ceiling to use in combat.'

Hypatia says 'I can see why it might feel a little like cutting off once nose to spite onces face.'

Sarinda says 'Unfortunately.'

Hypatia chuckles politely.

Sarinda says 'The niche situation in which it is most helpful is if you are in group combat against a Dreadlord who uses Earthquake, especially if they have an angreal, and they are devastating your group in combat with it and preventing you from weaving yourself.'

Sarinda says 'In that case, Slicing their flows would buy time for another channeler to interrupt them with a damaging weave, or for a warrior to bash them.'

Hypatia says 'to work as a team, sacrificing ones on SPs to create an opening for your group.'

Aelrena leans to the side and makes another small note upon her sheaf of papers.

Sarinda says 'But remember. If I can outtime a Dreadlord by even 1 pulse, then not only will they fail to harm my allies, but they will take damage themselves.'

Hypatia says 'OOC next I need to prac Hailstorm and work on timings against trees'

Aelrena says 'OOC that makes two of us that need to work on timing.'

Aelrena chuckles politely.

Sarinda says 'I have a task for you, if it pleases the Light, and then I must retire.'

Sarinda says 'Once you study this weave, find a room on the island with 2 ancient trees, and remove your weapon.'

Hypatia says 'Whatever I may do Aes Sedai.'

Sarinda says 'Hailstorm, when woven correctly, can be timed between rounds of combat, ensuring that regular melee hits do not stop you.'

Sarinda says 'Weave at least 6 times consecutively without being interrupted by a hit in melee, up to 9 times, and I will award you 1 merit when you submit a log of it.'

Hypatia nods slowly, once again chewing a lock of hair in the side of her mouth.

Sarinda says 'Weave 10 or 11 times without missing a round of combat, and I will award 2 merits.'

Hypatia smiles excitedly.

Sarinda says 'If you can weave 12 or more times consecutively without missing a round of combat, even if you fail the flows or lack the energy to finish your weave, I will award 3 merits.'

Hypatia says 'if I may ask for clarification, you are talking solely about timing, and not about being able to dodge combat to finish weaves?'

Hypatia says 'as in, I should be able to do this clad in heavy armor, just as well as in light?'

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, my personal record to date includes 13 successfully completed weaves, 14 if you count one that failed, and 15 if you also count the final time in which I did not have sufficient strength in saidar left to finish the actual weave but timed it perfectly.'

Sarinda says 'Yes. If you remove your weapon, you will likely be hit by the trees regardless of what else you wear.'

Hypatia smiles happily.

Sarinda says 'The tricky part is when you kill the first tree and need to move on to the second.'

Hypatia says 'I will gladly take up this challenge - as it seems an excellent way to work on timing.'

Sarinda says 'If you instead find a single opponent that can withstand 12 or more weaves without dying, then that would suffice too.'

Sarinda says 'But your options are limited in the island of Tar Valon.'

Hypatia says 'I would normally use the opportunity to loop around and try a charge, yet in this case, I am to focus entirely on my new abilities.'

Sarinda says 'Once you get that down consistently, you can try harder weaves that are 10 pulses long, like Call Lightning, Change Weather, and so on.'

Sarinda winks suggestively.

Hypatia says 'OOC I sadly miss being able to use Marcus' old bash timer - now I'm going to wish for a weave timer to help with judgement.'

Sarinda says 'A single round of combat is 12 pulses.'

Sarinda says 'If you have practice with bashing, charging, and so on, then you might find this task easier to complete with patience.'

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, do you have any other questions or concerns at this time?'

Hypatia stands slowly, smoothing her white dress.. Thank you Aes Sedai. I have learned more in this lesson, than in all my lessons and private practice put together.

Sarinda smiles warmly.

Sarinda says 'I am very pleased to hear this, child.'

Hypatia says 'I am very keen to work on this weave timing now. I confess. I have a thousand questions every day, yet now, I cannot think of a single one.'

Sarinda says 'Your time with us in the Tower is still new, and you still have long to go before you might one day wear the shawl. But if it pleases the Light, if this type of training is rewarding, and you demonstrate the skill...Perhaps you will aspire to the Red Ajah yourself, one day.'

Sarinda says 'No other Ajah will prepare you as well to fight other channelers.'

Aelrena chuckles politely.

Sarinda says 'The Green Ajah has many skilled apprentices who seek to master combat more broadly, but this niche is our expertise, and our purpose.'

Hypatia smiles happily.

Sarinda stops resting, and clambers on her feet.

Hypatia says 'I fear that I might become overwhelmed a the first time I am placed under any sort of real terror, yet if the Weave wills it.'

Sarinda intones, 'If it pleases the Light, all will be well. All will be well, and all manner of things will be well, if it pleases the Light.'

Sarinda says 'It was good to meet with both of you.'

Sarinda says 'Perhaps you can even work on the task together sometime. Aelrena has a sharp mind, child, but a desire to learn this skill as much as you.'

Hypatia drops a deep curtsey, her smile firmly affixed.

Aelrena nods in agreement.

Sarinda says 'And I will say plainly that if you ever wish to earn the ring and shawl both, you will need to be able to weave quickly and in combat scenarios, or you will never pass the test for the shawl.'

Sarinda draws down her thin eyebrows into a frown.

Sarinda says 'You are both dismissed.'

Sarinda says 'May the Light illumine you, and see you safe to your journey's end.'

Aelrena senses Sarinda connecting to the True Source.

Aelrena nods in agreement.

Sarinda gestures with her hand.

The door smoothly swings open.

Aelrena says 'and you, Sarinda Sedai.'

Hypatia says 'I thank you Aes Sedai.'

Hypatia curtseys before Sarinda.

Hypatia leaves east. >>

Aelrena says 'Thank you for your time tonight.'

Aelrena curtseys before her.

Sarinda smiles warmly.

Raeza

Re: Theory - combat weaves against an enemy channeler

Post by Raeza » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:00 pm

Awarded:

Hypatia - 5 rpqqs (4 + 1 for editing)
Sarinda - 4 rpqps
Aelrena - 3 rpqps

Please 'receive' them at a silver-haired sister.