Aelrena receives a lesson on meditation and mindfulness

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Raeza

Aelrena receives a lesson on meditation and mindfulness

Post by Raeza » Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:37 pm

Summary: Aelrena stops by the Hall of Inference for a lesson on meditation with Raeza Sedai. The two discuss meditation and using mindfulness as a way to maintain calmness and focus in spite of distractions and minor discomforts. They also discuss the trick to appear unaffected by heat and cold, as well as some brief thoughts regarding the Brown and White Ajahs.

POV: Raeza
Main characters: Raeza, Aelrena

Rplizer + light editing

---------------------------------------

Hall of Inferences of the White Ajah
The oval room is entirely filled by a single immense table, ornately
carved chairs with white leather cushions placed around it at equidistant
intervals. Behind each chair sits a large blackboard, smeared with chalk
dust accumulated over many years. Slender soaring windows pierce the high
walls, stretching to the distant ceiling. A large arch to the north leads
out of the chamber, heavy wooden doors swinging on cast-iron hinges.
[ obvious exits: N ]
Door north: door
A chair made of red oak rests next to the table. [2]
Aelrena Solyan, Tower Accepted. is standing here.
A silver-haired Aes Sedai sits here, reading.
A White Sister walks by, deep in thought.
Carlinya Sedai stands here, pale of skin and cold of manner as the white fringe on her shawl.

Someone knocks on the carveddoor from the other side.

Raeza opens the carveddoor.

Aelrena has arrived from the north.

Aelrena curtseys before Raeza.

Raeza says 'Hello Accepted.'

Raeza gestures at the door with her hand.

Raeza sit down on a stout oaken chair.

Aelrena says 'Hello Raeze Sedai.'

The door silently swings shut and lock with a soft *click*.

Aelrena smiles happily.

Raeza motions to the chair, "Have a seat."

Aelrena sits down on a stout oaken chair.

Aelrena slides gently into the chair across from the Aes Sedai.

Raeza arranges some things on the desk, before saying "What brings you to our chambers today?"

Aelrena says 'Well, Raeza Sedai, I've been meaning to take a moment to speak with you of late, and your mentioning freedom after the lesson gave the perfect opportunity. '

Aelrena nods in agreement.

Raeza nods slowly.

Aelrena says 'Of course, that doesn't answer the question. I wanted to speak to you on the value of meditation, and setting aside emotions as Aes Sedai.'

Raeza says 'Ah yes. I did a study on meditation when I was an Accepted. Part of my training for the White.'

Aelrena nods at Raeza.

Raeza says 'Meditation is a very important daily practice, in my view.'

Raeza says 'What do you know of it?'

Aelrena says 'That while many think of meditation as an exercise, or pass time, meditation can also in part be a method of thinking that allows you to keep a level head, or to think more clearly.'

Aelrena says 'I believe that the method Aes Sedai use to ignore the weather is a form of meditation, which would be an example of such.'

Raeza nods in agreement.

Raeza says 'Indeed, child. You would be correct.'

Raeza says 'It is associated with a particular, very effective type of meditation. Mindfulness meditation.'

Raeza says 'Have you heard of it?'

Aelrena says 'I've read only that it exists, Raeza Sedai. But not enough to be able to explain it in any detail. I would love to hear what you have to teach on it.'

Raeza nods slowly, as she shifts in her chair.

Raeza says 'The core of it, really, is a focus on our present state.'

Raeza says 'We let go of the future, of the past, of our worries, of our regrets. And we focus on the present.'

Raeza says 'And we open ourselves up to an awareness of our current situation. How do we feel? Are we in pain? Are we too warm? What sensations do we feel?'

Raeza says 'We open ourselves up to that awareness, and then it is up to us what to do with it.'

Aelrena ponders life, the universe, and everything.

Raeza says 'For instance, you mentioned the trick with the heat and cold.'

Raeza says 'It is not that Aes Sedai are immune to heat and cold. In frigid temparatures, and Aes Sedai might still freeze and die without using the Power to save herself.'

Aelrena nods slowly, her eyes on the Aes Sedai, her expression thoughtful.

Raeza says 'But we can make ourselves aware of cold that is just uncomfortable, and make the choice not to let it affect us.'

Raeza says 'We are aware of the discomfort. But we let it go. It is a difficult feat, but can be achieved through practice.'

Raeza says 'And that type of practice is crucial for you in preparing for the One Hundred Weaves test.'

Raeza offers a slight smile.

Raeza says 'Does that make sense to you?'

Aelrena says 'Yes Raeza Sedai, it makes complete sense.'

Aelrena says 'I believe that I was misunderstanding the crux of what was to be done.'

Raeza spots her empty teapot across the table and frowns slightly.

Raeza says 'Can you think of other cases where such a thing would be helpful?'

Aelrena says 'Plenty, Raeza Sedai. A Green sister might give the example of battle, being able to set aside your pain while you fight lest you falter. A Gray might give the example of being able to ignore the childish bickering of nobles during negotiations. '

Raeza nods slowly.

Raeza says 'Yes, indeed. Good examples, both.'

Raeza says 'By the time she is raised, any Aes Sedai should have at least a foundational ability in the practice. It is hard to pass the test otherwise.'

Raeza says 'The better you become, the easier and quicker it is to void yourself of unwanted thoughts, emotions, or discomforts.'

Aelrena says 'I think I understand, Raeza Sedai. I practiced with Accepted Prya yesterday with being able to ignore distraction while channeling to prepare for the hundred weave test.'

Raeza says 'Ah, wonderful. Yes, I would suggest you set up a daily practice if you do not already.'

Raeza says 'Just 15 minutes daily should do.'

Aelrena says 'But, from what I'm hearing, it's not really about ignoring the distraction, as I was trying to do. But instead it's about accepting the distraction and not letting it affect you.'

Raeza says 'Precisely.'

Raeza holds up a triumphant finger.

Raeza says 'That is it precisely, Accepted.'

Aelrena says 'Rather like recognizing that a gnat means nothing compared to the majesty of the Tower.'

Aelrena nods at Raeza.

Aelrena smiles happily.

Raeza says 'To truly achieve calmness in our present state, we need to learn to recognise the discomforts, and then accept them. Only then can we truly let them go and be unaffected by them.'

Raeza says 'No one has a life without discomforts. Some are just better at accepting them and letting them go.'

Aelrena chuckles politely.

Aelrena says 'And yet it's not quite the same as when I lose myself in one of the library's tomes.'

Aelrena nods at Raeza.

Raeza says 'Go on, Accepted.'

Aelrena says 'Well, when lost in research, I'm entirely focused on what's going on with the books. It's not so much that I'm accepting my surroundings, it's as if they stop existing.'

Aelrena says 'Which is how I've been approaching my attempts at Aes Sedai calmness, which has not worked very well in keeping my emotion in check.'

Raeza says 'Ah, an apt comparison.'

Raeza says 'When reading an interesting book, we may wish to become lost in it.'

Raeza says 'But we hardly want our Green sisters to become lost in a battle and forget to notice what is going on around them, hm?'

Aelrena says 'It would hardly serve, and in fact would be entirely dangerous both for that sister, as well as any around her.'

Raeza says 'This technique is about maintaining, and even enhancing, our perception of our surroundings. While also remaining calm.'

Raeza nods slowly, "Give this a try, Accepted. I believe it will do wonders for you."

Aelrena nods at Raeza.

Raeza says 'I should like to hear how your progress is going on maintaining calm after you try this practice for a few weeks.'

Aelrena smiles widely, her face lighting up as it touches her eyes, "Thank you, Raeza Sedai. I will be sure to do so."

Raeza says 'Is there anything else you wish to discuss at the moment?'

Aelrena looks down to her hands clasped in her lap, before looking back up to the Aes Sedai.

Aelrena says 'I believe that will be all, Raeza Sedai. But I would like to meet with you more in the future, I believe that you have much you could teach me on what it means to be Aes Sedai.'

Aelrena smiles happily.

Aelrena says 'I think that too often people discount the White in what it means to be Aes Sedai, and I would like to ensure that I never fall into those thoughts.'

Raeza says 'That is a logical view, Accepted, and a wise one.'

Raeza nods slowly, "Very well, child. Light illumine you. And yes, I do hope to see you in the Hall of Inference in the future, when we can discuss more."

Aelrena smiles happily.

Aelrena shakes her head.

Raeza arches an eyebrow.

Aelrena says 'All parts of the whole are important, whether you easily see their use or not. It's best to understand that, rather than letting it escape you.'

Aelrena says 'Apologies, I was not disagreeing with you Aes Sedai. My shake of the head was at those who fail to see farther than their own experience.'

Raeza nods slowly, "We are all Aes Sedai first of all. We appreciate reason more in the White than in other Ajahs perhaps, but all sisters need an ability to think rationally to carry out their duties effectively."

Raeza says 'As you say, it is folly to think otherwise.'

Aelrena says 'Logic and reason are the basis for all advancement, I believe.'

Raeza says "Well it will not surprise you that I agree," nodding.

Aelrena says 'After all, without being able to take a step back and think things through logically, we would fail to make meaningful progress that won't falter the moment another sentiment sweeps through.'

Aelrena shrugs helplessly.

Aelrena blushes.

Aelrena says 'Apologies Raeza Sedai, I get carried away voicing my thoughts.'

Raeza says 'I will never chastise a girl for thinking, nor for expressing her musings.'

Aelrena smiles happily.

Raeza says 'In these quarters, we like to question everything.'

Aelrena smiles happily.

Aelrena says 'Maybe I should find myself here more often then. I find few things I won't question, quite often more than I can answer on a daily basis.'

Aelrena says 'But then, I think there is much in common between the brown and the white.'

Raeza says 'Yes and no.'

Raeza offers a light chuckle.

Aelrena's eyes alight, and her head cocks to the side as she looks to the Aes Sedai.

Raeza says 'There are some similarities of course. We both appreciate studious thinkers of course.'

Raeza says 'I do often find many of their obsessions to be pointless facts and trivia, when there are more important answers to be discovered. But their research is important of course.'

Raeza says 'No need to be telling them that, though.'

Raeza offers you a subtle wink.

Aelrena says 'My lips are sealed.'

Aelrena says 'I merely meant that the basis for both might be considered the ability to look past what is commonly accepted, and to ask questions.'

Raeza nods in agreement.

Raeza says 'A certain amount of curiosity and skepticism is demanded in both Ajahs.'

Raeza says 'In that, I do believe you are correct.'

Raeza says 'Well, if that is all you wished to discuss, I do have some matters to attend to. If there is nothing else, I will dismiss you now, in the Light.'

Aelrena says 'Thank you for listening to my musings, Raeza Sedai. Would you like me to see that a meal is brought up to you?'

Raeza says 'No need. I will call on a Novice if I get peckish.'

Aelrena clambers to her feet.

Aelrena curtseys before Raeza.

Raeza nods in agreement.

Raeza says 'Do stop by again, though. It was a pleasure to speak with you.'

Aelrena smiles happily.

Raeza gestures with her hand.

Aelrena says 'Thank you, I also found the conversation enjoyable.'

The door smoothly swings open.

Aelrena smiles happily.

Raeza says 'Light illumine you.'

Aelrena says 'and yourself.'

Aelrena leaves north.

Raeza gestures at the door with her hand.

The door silently swings shut and lock with a soft *click*.

Catisune

Re: Aelrena receives a lesson on meditation and mindfulness

Post by Catisune » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:17 pm

Did you wish to speak of my obsessions, sister?

Catisune

Re: Aelrena receives a lesson on meditation and mindfulness

Post by Catisune » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:57 am

RPQPs awarded to Raeza and Aelrena. See any silver-haired Aes Sedai to 'receive' them.