Tutoring with the Yellows

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Alexis

Tutoring with the Yellows

Post by Alexis » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:23 pm

Summary:
Alexis had recently traveled into the Borderlands with Penzei's assistance to study gate codes to better support citizens of the Light when trying to escape from combat critically injured. After making a foolish mistake and falling to the Shadow during their trip, Alexis returned to the Yellow Ajah quarters to reflect and to speak with Penzei regarding her apprenticeship.

POV: Alexis
Main character: Penzei
Briefly seen in passing: Prya

Notes:
Processed using the RP-lizer. Edited to reorder some emotes and general clean up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solarium of the Yellow Ajah
Tall, arched windows offer a view of the island of Tar Valon and the
confluence of the river Erinin beyond Southharbor, as the river starts on
its journey to Tear. Pots and plants dot the balcony outside the windows.
Chairs have been drawn up near the windows and vases containing bouquets of
of yellow flowers have been placed nearby. Several desks and clusters of
chairs have been distributed around the room, allowing for informal
discussion of Yellow Sisters' research and studies.
[ obvious exits: N ]
Zone: White Tower Upper Floors
Door north: door
Sumptuously upholstered, a gold brocade chaise lounge with gilded legs rests nearby.
A large desk made of fine, thick wood stands across the room from here.
A chair made of red oak rests next to the table. [2]
Penzei Perets, Tower Accepted, Yellow Ajah Apprentice is resting here.
A Yellow Sister glides past.
A silver-haired Aes Sedai sits here, reading.
Corele Hovian stands here with concern in her eyes.

Penzei stops resting, and clambers on her feet.

Alexis nods at Penzei.

Penzei curtseys gracefully.

Alexis says 'Well. That was far too eventful for what I was hoping for.'

Alexis scowls.

Penzei says 'Could have gone either way really...'

Alexis chuckles politely.

Alexis says 'Well, standing there and assuming a trolloc rogue would not stab me was foolish. But I will be more intentional next time to not simply stand there.'

Alexis says 'Regardless, that is not why we are meeting.'

Alexis shares a warm smile.

Penzei says 'They do be merciless'

Penzei giggles.

Alexis says 'Tell me, Penzei. Did you have a specific request or question? Or were you hoping for just a chance to meet and talk more broadly about your apprenticeship?'

Penzei says 'The latter, Alexis Sedai'

Alexis nods in agreement.

Alexis feels the flows of saidar coursing through her body.

Alexis gestures at the door with her hand.

The door silently swings shut and lock with a soft *click*.

Alexis sits down and rests her tired bones on a chaise lounge.

Alexis says 'Please, make yourself comfortable.'

Alexis says 'I do not think we have frequently had the opportunity to meet.'

Penzei places her hands on the thighs straightening her dress.

Penzei says 'I have been looking forward to this meeting, the other Yellow Ajah speak very highly of you!'

Alexis says 'Well, I am glad that I have a reputation. My sisters flatter me.'

Alexis says 'I thought it might be helpful if we each shared a bit about ourselves, so we can learn more about each other, and how we can work together for a common goal.'

Penzei nods in agreement.

Penzei says 'Would you like to begin, Alexis Sedai or should I ?'

Alexis says 'I can go first, unless you prefer to. I have no preference.'

Penzei says 'Feel free!'

Alexis says 'I was born a great deal of time ago in Illian. My father was a merchant, and my mother a midwife, who had once studied with the Wisdoms in Andor but gave up that life to be with my father.'

Alexis says 'I have spent most of my life away from Illian, and the accent has softened with time.'

Alexis says 'I trained under my mother about how to use herbs and poultices to restore the body and cure various ailments, and trained with her as a midwife, which led to me learning more about the human body and the joy of life.'

Penzei smiles happily.

Alexis pauses, her smile fading.

Alexis says 'My mother developed a chronic illness when I was 15 years of age, and she passed away from it when I was 17.'

Penzei frowns.

Penzei says 'I'm sorry to hear that Alexis, Sedai'

Alexis says 'Before I did, she realized that I could touch the Source, and she confided that she had the ability herself, although only weakly. After I was not able to save her life with mundane skills, I decided to pursue the White Tower, in hopes that I would one day be able to save someone from such a fate again.'

Alexis thanks Penzei heartily.

Penzei says 'I see our histories are not so different... '

Alexis smiles softly. 'It is alright, Penzei. The reality is that due to my ability to channel, many of my family is long since gone.'

Alexis says 'The ability to touch the Source, especially those who channel it routinely and are strong in the Power, slows the natural aging process.'

Alexis shifts somewhat uncomfortably as she discusses the topic of age.

Penzei tilts her head slightly... before asking," How old are you ? "

Alexis purses her lips thoughtfully.

Penzei coughs loudly.

Penzei says 'Maybe I should mind my manners!'

Penzei blushes.

Alexis says 'I am older than most, but younger than some.'

Alexis says 'Jenda was a novice and Accepted with me, but she was raised to the shawl perhaps a year or two before I was, if I recall.'

Penzei giggles.

Penzei says 'I have a similar theme going on with Tolza Sedai'

Alexis ponders life, the universe, and everything.

Alexis says 'I have generalist training in the full spectrum of weaves of Healing and support, and I obviously have the Talent for Healing.'

Alexis says 'I believe that my strengths are in the research of understanding Healing, the practical application of that knowledge, and active efforts to Heal rather than just sitting at a city gate.'

Alexis says 'Learning a variety of gateway codes so that I could create an escape route for someone critically injured is a good example of something I find fascinating, and beneficial.'

Penzei says 'Actually a really great use of the weave'

Alexis says 'I have spoken with Liia on the matter, and seen how much it can turn the tide of battle.'

Alexis says 'Unfortunately I will need to head back out and relearn all of those codes...'

Alexis sighs.

Alexis flashes a grin.

Penzei says 'Allowing the forces of light to regroup on better terms quickly and without being cutoff is unmeasurable'

Alexis says 'I would also say that I have been known in my day to hunt a male channeler or two, especially the dangerous ones who routinely attacked our novices.'

Penzei giggles.

Penzei says 'I have no doubt'

Alexis isn't in touch with saidar to release anything.

Alexis rests her hands in her lap. 'That summarizes the primary points I wished to make. Did you have any questions about me, or were you ready to share?'

Penzei says 'I think before questions I had better just be out with my history...'

Alexis arches an eyebrow.

Penzei says 'I, also, hail from illian originally and my father was a noble merchant... much of my families wealth went into battling the nation of Tear.'

Penzei says 'However, my father grew tired of it after my mother... passed away during child birth with me...'

Alexis frowns.

Penzei says 'So after being unable to convince others to abandon such hostilities... he took our wealth to Andor, where he continues to reside today'

Penzei says 'so I left Illian at the age of 6, and was groomed to become the best noble's daughter ever imagined...'

Penzei says 'Unfortunately for my father I'm not much for such things'

Penzei giggles.

Alexis smirks.

Penzei says 'I'd rather be outside in the woods than in some ball dancing for fools...'

Alexis says 'I would not have made a good White, myself, for similar reasons.'

Alexis says 'I enjoy the research, but getting lost in the numbers is not the part I prefer.'

Penzei says 'I'm sure deep down my father loved me... but I think losing my mother broke him on some level, I felt largely regarded as property more than anything...'

Penzei says 'And before long when I became a teenager I developed the ability to channel and everything changed...'

Alexis says softly, 'I am sorry you were not given the chance to know your mother, as I did mine. She played such a vital role in my life.'

Penzei smiles happily.

Penzei says 'I have been told that she was quite the lady... and while sometimes I wish that I could have spent even a moment with her, I just try to be as strong as I can to make her proud!'

Alexis nods, a hint of a smile on her face.

Penzei says 'My father, however met my ability to channel with both disdain and public joy...'

Alexis frowns.

Penzei says 'On one hand he couldn't just marry me off anymore for one of his crummy business deals... but on the other he praised that his blood was the blood that could wield the one power...'

Penzei shrugs helplessly.

Penzei says 'So I was shipped off to the Tower... and I couldn't have been more happy about it...'

Alexis winces slightly. 'I see what you mean about how he viewed you.'

Penzei sniffs sadly.

Alexis gently changes the subject. 'Why did you pursue the Yellow Ajah?'

Penzei says 'Well, I pursued the Yellow Ajah because I found myself often supporting those who fought the shadow!'

Penzei says 'Suddenly I was thrust into the world of battlefield triage... and I have to say I have never been so happy...'

Alexis says 'It is certainly a unique skill, and approach to combat.'

Alexis says 'May I ask a question? I do not mean to interrupt, but wanted to hear your perspective on a matter.'

Alexis says 'Several of us Yellows have a healthy debate over the role of support versus engaging in combat more actively.'

Penzei grins like she knows what you're about to ask...

Alexis says 'Some of us are not unlike Greens at times, seeing that every trolloc killed is one less creature alive to wreak havor or harm others.'

Alexis says 'Others stay within the cities and dispense Healing and support to use every scrap of Power they have to advance others' goals.'

Alexis says 'Where do you fall on that spectrum, and why?'

Someone knocks on the carveddoor from the other side.

Alexis gestures with her hand.

The doors smoothly swing open.

Alexis glances at the door and calls, 'You may enter.'

Prya has arrived from the north.

Prya curtseys gracefully.

Prya says 'I'm very sorry to interrupt'

Alexis smiles at Prya.

Alexis says 'Hello there, Prya. Do you need something right now?'

Prya says 'I found a pack near Fal Dara that had a yellow shawl in it'

Alexis blinks, her facial expression stoic.

Prya says 'I wanted to return it to you'

Alexis says 'May I see it?'

Prya says 'In case someone of your Ajah is missing it'

Prya drops a backpack.

Alexis smirks.

Alexis says 'Well, as Penzei can attest...'

Alexis says 'I may have done something foolish and fallen in combat earlier.'

Penzei says 'that is fortunuate'

l in backpack
backpack (here) :
an oilstone
a set of soft velvet slippers
a pair of gray suede leggings
[2] a Kandori snowflake necklace
a gold mesh belt secured with a white flame clasp
a yew staff
a silver etched shield
a pair of slim riding gloves
a yellow fringed shawl
a bright red robe
a satin blouse
a fine linen riding hood
an emerald ring
a pair of thin metal boots
[2] a soft leather pouch
a plain weapons belt
[3] a silver Kandori wristcuff
a pair of metal half-gauntlets
a pair of oiled chainmail sleeves
a lantern

Alexis whistles appreciatively.

Alexis gets a backpack.

Prya says 'Sounds like something I would do. Have done!'

Alexis thanks Prya heartily.

Alexis says 'Child, this lifts my heart. Thank you.'

Penzei smiles happily.

Prya says 'I'm so glad!'

Prya says 'I'm sure those shawls are precious!'

Alexis says 'Perhaps you will know some day for yourself.'

Penzei smiles happily.

Prya says 'I'll leave you now. Very nice to see you both!'

Prya curtseys gracefully.

Prya smiles happily.

Prya waves.

Alexis waves.

Penzei says 'Have a good day Accepted Prya!'

Prya says 'You as well!'

Prya leaves north.

Penzei giggles.

Alexis gestures at the door with her hand.

The door silently swings shut and lock with a soft *click*.

Alexis shows a backpack to Penzei.

Alexis says 'A few pieces of junk that are not mine, but it is mostly there.'

Penzei says 'I can say without a doubt'

Penzei clears her throat before continuing, "That there will be times when you must fight with every breath of your soul to defend yourself and your fellow combatants... "

Penzei says 'However, during the peroid of lulls that happen in combat, keeping the more well armored individuals who can knock trollocs around is of great imperative in that heavy of combat'

Penzei says 'So I will often choose to spread heals to the wounded soldiers who keep me from having to face the Trollocs...'

Penzei says 'Outnumbered in the open is a death sentence for us...'

Penzei says 'So I find that between the rounds of combat should any be low, I will most of the time give them a few heals'

Penzei says 'But everyone has to make decisions in seconds in combat...'

Penzei says 'And not to say I won't be at the Malkier gate, providing healing to the disabled soldiers who can't yet return to the fight'

Penzei says 'In my research on battlefield healing... I have found that you must first get a good lay of what is actually transpiring before you make any tactical decisions'

Alexis says 'Wise, indeed.'

Penzei says 'I have made the mistake of rushing to save a stranded soldier a few times... only to find myself in quite the precarious position...'

Alexis says 'Hmm, yes, I know what you mean.'

Alexis says 'I think it is a delicate balance, conserving enough energy in saidar to Heal when needed, and still being able to fight when the moment demands it.'

Penzei says 'It is a thin line, but if you're clever enough you can balance it'

Penzei says 'More than a few occasion I have removed a contagion in the middle of active combat to save the day...'

Alexis says 'I admire the way you describe this approach. I will be frank, for I cannot speak a word that is untrue. I know that I am always learning, and that I make mistakes. So sometimes, I will try a different approach and evaluate later how it went.'

Penzei says 'I've heard some of the Lancers describe battle as fluid... and I can't agree more'

Alexis says 'Sometimes I will stay within the relative safety of a city, and Heal soldiers as they return from the front lines. Or creating a gateway, as we discussed.'

Alexis nods at Penzei.

Penzei says 'If I lack quality information about the scope of the battle I will absolutely setup triage at Malkier gate until I can ascertain what is going on'

Alexis says 'What do you think your greatest strengths are as a Healer?'

Penzei says 'I have to say I am quick with the diagnoses of ailments, which on the battlefield could mean living and dying... wether it be the poisonous blades the shadowspawn wield... or their disgusting armor that spreads disease...'

Penzei says 'The gaze of a Fade can cripple many a warrior...'

Alexis says 'Excellent.'

Alexis says 'Do you ever apply the status ailments yourself?'

Penzei says 'I have in the past, however after my apprenticeship I find that having the ability to call down bolts of lightning is far greater than being able to poison a trolloc'

Alexis grins evilly.

Penzei says 'and I am tied to all of the healing weaves as part of my apprenticeship'

Alexis sighs, 'We have been actively searching as an Ajah to rediscover the ancient way of Healing that allows us to both simultaneously restore the body, as well as remove any ailments. But alas, we have not been successful yet.'

Penzei says 'I have read of this ability was lost...'

Penzei says 'If we could somehow recreate this weave... it would change the entire fight against the shadow!'

Alexis stifles a yawn. 'I apologize, Accepted, but I think I may need to retire soon. I am losing focus.'

Penzei giggles.

Penzei says 'Not a worry, Alexis Sedai!'

Penzei says 'I am very happy to have had this conversation with you!'

Alexis says 'I do say that I appreciate you reaching out. You have expanded my understanding of you. I think we have more in common than I had known.'

Penzei smiles happily.

Penzei says 'and I hope to spend more time under your tutelage!'

Penzei says 'Would you be needing anything else, Alexis Sedai ?'

Penzei clambers to her feet.

Alexis says 'I will say one thing. I had heard in passing how you were helping one of the novices, Skyra, around the Tower and mentioned how felt 'laden down' with the Healing and support weaves necessary to meet the Ajah requirements.'

Alexis says 'We have not formally updated our notes, but now that Warding vs Damage is no longer capable of being woven on others, we have talked and agreed that it should no longer be a requirement to learn.'

Alexis says 'That being said, it might be worth still practicing. But if that is straining your ability to study everything else, you could modify your approach to your lessons with Sheriam.'

Penzei says 'I wouldn't say it's as much of a strain with the way I handle my day to day, but others seem to view it so'

Penzei says 'and ofcourse there are the odd occasions where a hammer of air just gets the job done'

Penzei giggles.

Alexis says 'I meant more with the application of Air. '

Alexis says 'Do you study Hammer of Air?'

Penzei says 'Not currently'

Penzei says 'besides healing I have the basic, Fireball, Flamestrike, Spikes, and call lightning'

Alexis says 'If you did not study Warding vs Damage, you could likely focus on Air 3 instead, which would save another 8 practice sessions.'

Penzei says 'I'd have to say even if it wasn't required i'd most likely keep it'

Alexis says 'I have it studied myself.'

Penzei says 'I am no stranger to bashing a trolloc on his skull'

Alexis says 'Ah, that is right. I have heard of your training in that skill.'

Penzei giggles.

Alexis says 'Certainly a unique approach.'

Penzei says 'I've had both success and failure, but it is quite amusing to see the face of a hulking trolloc get whacked on his behind by me'

Penzei giggles.

Alexis says 'If you do one day earn the ring and the shawl both, you have the liberty to study weaves that you think are most appropriate to pursue the cause of our Ajah.'

Alexis says 'But I think you will find that the same weaves we require are the ones you would continue to learn.'

Alexis says 'At times, it does feel burdensome to learn all of these. But that is what makes us unique, and why we are so strict about the requirements.'

Penzei says 'I do not disagree with you!'

Penzei says 'Not only has this training saved my life... but has saved the lives of many others...'

Alexis says 'I am glad to hear it.'

Alexis says 'I have been in discussion recently with my sisters about our apprenticeship program, how to make it more clear and feel productive. I welcome any insights you have into the apprenticeship and your experience with it so far.'

Alexis says 'I would also be glad to hear any feedback on the parts of it that have pushed you to grow the most, or challenged how you think about Healing and support, in preparation for one day possibly wearing the Yellow shawl.'

Alexis says 'What was the most recent task you were given to complete for the apprenticeship?'

Penzei says 'Well, part of a general task I was given by Jenda Sedai was to interact with as many of the Yellow Ajah as I could so this would fit right in with that'

Penzei says 'Other than that I am finished with all other tasks required of me'

Penzei says 'thus far'

Alexis says 'I will review your file and confer with my sisters. Our program currently is sequential, giving one task at a time until you complete it.'

Alexis says 'But I must admit that I have been a bit rusty with my knowledge of the program, so I will try to avail myself to meet with you more when I see you awake.'

Penzei says 'Well, if you would consider it I can write down some insights and feedback for you in the meantime and have the parchment on your desk!'

Alexis says 'That would be excellent.'

Alexis says 'Do you have any questions for me before I take my leave?'

Penzei says 'I do not Alexis Sedai!'

Alexis says 'Then it was a pleasure to meet with you and learn more about you.'

Penzei smiles happily.

Penzei says 'Thank you Alexis Sedai, the pleasure was mine!'

Alexis says 'The Light shelter you and keep you safe, Accepted.'

Penzei smiles happily.

Alexis says 'Continue the good work. I expect good things from you.'

Alexis gestures with her hand.

The door smoothly swings open.

Penzei leaves north.

Aloisa

Re: Tutoring with the Yellows

Post by Aloisa » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:45 pm

Alexis and Penzei awarded rpqps, please say receive at a silver-haired Aes Sedai