When oaths must be broken

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Nevirha

When oaths must be broken

Post by Nevirha » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:52 pm

Summary: Met with Chloro to discuss politics and why the Three Oaths matter. We ended up speaking on what it means to be bound to the White Tower and forsake all oaths we have taken before.

Point of view: Nevirha
Main character: Nevirha
Main character: Chloro

NOTE: Awarded Chloro for participation in the RP
Nevirha says 'Annoura summon Chloro'

Annoura Larisen says 'I will send my scribe to summon her, Nevirha.'

Nevirha nods in agreement.

Nevirha gestures with her hand.

The door smoothly swings open.

Chloro has arrived from the east.
A chicken has arrived from the east.

Chloro deeply curtsey's to the Aes Sedai near.

Chloro leaves east.
A chicken leaves east.

Nevirha gestures at the doors with her hand.

The door silently swings shut and lock with a soft *click*.

Nevirha says 'Annoura, summon Chloro.'

Annoura Larisen says 'I will send my scribe to summon her, Nevirha.'

Chloro has arrived from the east.

Nevirha looks around the room.

Nevirha says 'Annoura, we need more chairs.'

Annoura Larisen glances around the room.

Annoura Larisen says 'Yes, it does appear we are short a few for this meeting.'

Chloro says 'For give me Aes Sedai, that chicken I think may not be right in the head.'

Annoura Larisen steps out, then returns with an Accepted following close behind.

Annoura Larisen looks over her shoulder at the girl.

Annoura Larisen says 'Child, help us move some of these chairs around the table.'

A dutiful Accepted curtseys gracefully. 'Yes, Aes Sedai.'

A dutiful Accepted grabs a chair and quickly moves across the room.
A dutiful Accepted drops a stout oaken chair.

Nevirha says 'I was wondering why you brought a farm animal into the White Tower.'

A dutiful Accepted makes her way towards another and shuffles it into place.

A dutiful Accepted avoids making eye contact as she lifts another chair.

Nevirha frowns slightly.

A dutiful Accepted gets a last chair and sets it with the others around a large table.

A dutiful Accepted dips into a final curtsy and leaves with haste.

Nevirha gestures at the doors with her hand.

The door silently swings shut and lock with a soft *click*.

Nevirha sit down on a stout oaken chair.

Nevirha says 'Please, have a seat, Novice.'

Chloro smooths her skits and softly walks over to a seat Opposite the Aes Sedai smiling warmly.
"Thank you Nevirha Sedai."

Nevirha says 'You sent a missive to the Gray Ajah asking to have a lesson on politics?'

Nevirha raises her eyebrows.

Nevirha looks at your expectantly. 'Please, speak freely.'

Chloro blushes slightly and nods. "I did Nevirha Sedai, I am conducting a study of the Ajahs and so
far most Aes Sedai I have meet seem to use the term Politician when referring to me in jest. I fear
I know little of politics, I was a blacksmiths daughter before coming here."

Nevirha says 'I see.'

Nevirha taps her lips, thinking.

Nevirha says 'Well, where would you like to start?'

Nevirha says 'Politics is a very broad topic. It would help to narrow your interests down a bit.'

Chloro says 'I think, in most recent history the development of the three oaths and the end to
Hawkings siege has been on my mind. Catisune Sedai was kind enough to loan me a volume on it."'

Nevirha says 'Ah, I see. Well, that is deep history indeed.'

Nevirha says 'Tell me, Novice, why do you think it was important to develop the Three Oaths?'

Chloro smiles. "To be frank as you requested, I think it was merely a concession that did not effect
how Aes Sedai already conducted themselves. It was a way to give the world some semblance of safety
to what they viewed as unknown."

Nevirha says 'And why do you think it was important to give that concession? As you said, it does not
affect how Aes Sedai already conduct themselves?'

Chloro attempts to maintain Aes Sedai calm as she speaks even though the topic is quite interesting.
"I believe it was to allow Aes Sedai to move freely around the world, regardless of how one might
conduct themselves the unknown is scary to most. Acting out of fear or jealousy is as natural to
most poeple, as drinking hot tea on a cold night."

Nevirha says 'Indeed, this is true. Many people are afraid of what they don't know, and Aes Sedai wield
great power. I am certain you have heard the stories said about us.'

Nevirha says 'Some people are so suspicious that they name us darkfriends and shadowspawn, though we are
not.'

Nevirha smiles at you kindly. 'Tell me, what was said of Aes Sedai in your home town?'

Chloro says 'Mostly praise, I grew up in the boarder lands, my father was a black smith for the
Kandori army. I heard mostly tales of battle when it came to Aes Sedai. Though after coming here
and listing to the gossip of the southern novices my jaw dropped a few times I must confess.'

Nevirha nods her head knowingly.

Nevirha says 'Ah yes, those of the Borderlands who have actually met Aes Sedai know our value.'

Nevirha says 'One Aes Sedai could count for 20 men against a trolloc army.'

Nevirha says 'But in the southern lands, where trollocs are but a myth, the value of the Aes Sedai is
less known...'

Nevirha purses her lips.

Nevirha says 'With the Three Oaths, we are able to assuage at least some of their fears about who we
are.'

Nevirha says 'For instance, our vow to never use the One Power as a weapon, except against shadowspawn or
darkfriends, or as a last defense of our life, or that of our warder or another Sister...'

Nevirha says 'Why do you think such a vow is important?'

Chloro says 'Fear of the unknown Nevirha Sedai, Those who cannot channel are unable to see our
weaves or gage intention until the weave has already been used. A near miss with a ice spike thought
it may strike a shadow spawn may be miss interpreted by the beholder.'

Nevirha says 'Yes, indeed. Fear is a powerful thing.'

Nevirha says 'But with the unbreakable oaths, we may assure people who do not know our intentions that we
CANNOT use the One Power against them...'

Nevirha pauses briefly. 'Not unless they attack us first.'

Nevirha says 'Did you have specific questions about the Oaths? Or about Artur Hawkwing?'

Chloro says 'It is also there to separate Aes Sedai from the stigma of wilders I think, as their
actions may be unintentional.'

Nevirha says 'That is a good point.'

Nevirha says 'Untrained, wilders do not know how to wield the One Power appropriately and effectively.'

Nevirha says 'This is why we must find these women and give them the appropriate training as soon as
possible.'

Nevirha says 'Misuse of the One Power is a grave offense, even if it is done unintentionally.'

Chloro says 'My real question to be blunt is, what is the mission of the Gray Ajah? I have heard it
is political in nature from the Accepteds. However speaking to a member might provide far more
clarity.'

Chloro pulls a notebook and fresh quil from her pouch listening intently.

Nevirha says 'The mission of the Gray Ajah, child?'

Nevirha says 'Well our mission is to unite the world so that we may stand strong against the Dark One
when the Last Battle comes.'

Chloro writes in a softly flowery script into her note book processing the information. "Then could
it be said that the Gray Ajah is akin to the Yellow Ajah but the healing done in a separate
direction?"

Nevirha says 'It is essential that the world fight as one against the Dark One at Tarmon Gai'don.'

Nevirha says 'If we are fractured, if there is in-fighting among the nations, we will fail and the dark
will prevail against the Light, perhaps even breaking the Wheel itself.'

Nevirha is sitting.

Nevirha says 'So as an Ajah, we go out of our way to broker peace between warring nations, to forge
treaties between allies, and to do anything in our power to unite the world.'

Nevirha looks at you closely. 'Does that make sense?'

Chloro says 'It oddly does click into place, I have spoken to members of the other six Ajahs and now
hearing this it call connects like a water wheel if you will excuse the metaphor.'

Nevirha nods at Nevirha.

Nevirha says 'Where are you in your studies, novice?'

Nevirha says 'How are they progressing, I mean?'

Chloro says 'I am at the stage where I am to consider further binding myself to the tower and
sending request to a Sitter. I must confess Nevirha Sedai. This is one of the hardest decisions I
have ever attempted to contemplate.'

Nevirha says 'Why is the decision hard for you, child?'

Chloro says 'Girls from the south often jump at the opportunity, however those from the north must
consider an oath we all swore on becoming women. We pledged to give sons to fight against the
shadow. To bind myself further would be to break that oath and replace it with 3 more. '

Nevirha looks you over.

Nevirha says 'Which is worth more in the fight against the Shadow? A handful of sons or a fully trained
Aes Sedai?'

Chloro smiles and chuckles softly. "I have heard the merits argued heavily for both in the battle
camps. Though for me, I can see the worth in both. Without sons to then go out and one day perhaps
father girls to train here numbers may dwindle to less then what they are today. Yet without Aes
Sedai to train those girls the wilder problem might get beyond help. A conundrum for certain.
Perhaps that is why I was given my nick name due to the fact that i wiegh both sides before coming
to a decision"

Nevirha says 'It is always important to weigh our options, but child, you are perhaps not considering
that you have already bound yourself to the Tower when your name was inscribed in the Book of
Novices...'

Chloro considers her next words carefully her face a mask of calm. "Agreed to train yet, though the
Arches replace that with a new contract to strive towards the shawl if I am deemed worthy one day. I
have learned enough to not be a danger to myself or to anyone else, but going further is a decision
I cannot take lightly. My experience here has been wonderful and hard at times, as it should."

Nevirha says 'Child, it is for the Tower and the Aes Sedai to determine whether you have learned enough
not to harm yourself.'

Nevirha says 'You are bound to us now and were bound, from the moment Sheriam Sedai put your name into
the Novice Book.'

Nevirha stands from the chair and walks to you, soothingly putting a hand on your shoulder.

Nevirha kneels before you, looking into your eyes. 'It is difficult to hear, that we must abandon all
of who we were before we came to the Tower.'

Nevirha says 'Inscribing your name in the Novice Book broke all oaths you swore before coming here....'

Nevirha says 'You have a great power inside of you, one you must learn how to wield effectively. One that
will serve the Borderlands more than any number of sons could.'

Chloro nods reflecting on the words given by the Aes Sedai. "Then the decision has already been
made, only the circumstance as to how I request to go forward changes. I can see why other Aes Sedai

Nevirha drops her voice low and looks at you earnestly. 'And there is no rule that forbids an Aes Sedai
from having a child, only tradition.'

Chloro looks up meeting the Aes Sedai's gase for gase "After reading the historys and seeing the
tower, tradition is correct, Aes Sedai do not belong as mothers. Their lives are best spent
elsewhere."

Nevirha says 'Sister judge the readiness of Chloro to advance in the halls of the Tower'

Annoura Larisen inclines her head, saying 'As you wish, Nevirha Sedai.'

Annoura Larisen says 'I shall consult with Alyssa the scribe on this matter.'

Annoura Larisen leaves for a moment, then returns.

Annoura Larisen says 'chloro has the potential for rank 4.'

Nevirha says 'Motherhood is a thought you can ponder for some time to come yet, Novice.'

Nevirha says 'Within a day or two, you should expect someone to come for you so you may be judged as to
whether you are ready to wear the Great Serpent ring and join the ranks of Accepted.'

Nevirha stands up to her full height and smooths her skirts.

Chloro chuckles calmer than before "If Mistress Laras will allow the time." Smoothes her skirt
listening to Annoura Sedai then Nevirha Sedai.

Nevirha looks at Chloro, masking a smile. 'Mistress Laras will not interfere with Sheriam Sedai's
wishes.'

Chloro smiles keenly. "I had suspected you as a possible sitter Nevirha Sedai, thought this Ajah was
the wilder card in that respect."

Nevirha says 'The White Tower will train you to your full potential, child, and you will not be released
one moment sooner.'

Nevirha says 'I am a Sitter, yes. I represent the Gray Ajah in the Hall.'

Nevirha says 'But before we put a girl to the test for Accepted, we give the other Aes Sedai some time to
make any concerns known, which is why we wait.'

Nevirha says 'For my part, I would haul you to the bowels of the White Tower and have the test started
this instant, but there is also wisdom in waiting.'

Chloro places her notebook and quil into her pouch makeing a metal note of the sitter. "Then I have
meet with a Sitter of each, a mission I hoped to accomplish before the Arches should I be deemed
worthy for them."

Nevirha says 'Now, child, unless you have any further questions for
me, I believe you have a lot to ponder on.'

Chloro stands lifting her pouch. "May I be so bold as to request a further lesson with you Nevirha
Sedai in future?"

Nevirha says 'You may, child. I am happy to give any lessons as I am available.'

Nevirha smiles kindly at me.

Nevirha stares at the sky.

Nevirha smiles kindly at YOU.

Chloro smiles warmly.

Chloro says 'Thank you Aes Sedai May your hearth be warm and your lantern lit.'

Chloro leaves east.