A lesson on the ethics of teaching

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Callesa

A lesson on the ethics of teaching

Post by Callesa » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:45 pm

A log of a lesson following a task for Apprentice Tolza, discussion on when to share and when to protect knowledge, and on consequences of such decisions. With practical examples.

Point of view: Callesa
Main Character: Tolza
l
Study of the Brown Ajah
[ obvious exits: S ]
A large desk made of fine, thick wood stands across the room from here.
A silver-haired Aes Sedai sits here, reading.
A Brown Sister is here, frowning pensively.
Danelle Sedai, sitter for the Brown Ajah stands here deep in thought.

Someone knocks on the door from the other side.
Callesa gestures with her hand.

The doors smoothly swing open.

Callesa glances at the door and calls, 'You may enter.'
The door is opened from the other side.

Tolza has arrived from the south.

Tolza closes the door.

Tolza spread her dress with colored bands, in a precise curtsy.

You nod in agreement.

Tolza smiles with a twinkle in her eye.

Callesa looks up from her notebook

Tolza says 'Light illuminate you Callesa Sedai.'

You say 'Take a seat.'

Callesa points at a simple wooden stool before the desk

Tolza takes a seat behind the desk.

Tolza sits down.

You say 'Have you progressed with the task I gave you last time?'

Tolza says 'I have given it some thought.'

You nod in agreement.

You say 'And have you come up with a few examples?'

Tolza turns her head to Asandra Sedai whispering in her ear.

* HP:Healthy SP:Bursting MV:Fresh >
who f
Females
---------
Helen of Illian [White Tower]
Tekela Cos'Raiell
Callesa al'Riean [Brown Ajah]
Penzei Perets, Tower Accepted, Yellow Ajah Apprentice [White Tower]
Tolza the Tower Accepted [White Tower]
Dyemond of Murandy
6 players displayed.

Tolza nods in agreement.

frown tolza
What's bothering you?

Tolza says 'May I have a moment to collect my thoughts.'

You nod in agreement.
You say 'Oh, collect, child, collect.'

Callesa continues reading another entry in her notebook, sometimes adding a few words here or there.

Tolza says 'The task was to give practical examples of knowledge or skills'

Tolza says 'Am I correct in that?'

You say 'Not at all, Accepted.'

You say 'Not just any knowledge.'

You say 'The task was on decisions regarding either sharing, or protecting knowledge from the wrong hands. The decisions we make very often as Browns'

Tolza says 'Ah ethics of teaching.'

You say 'The task was to think of two of three practical examples of knowledge or skills, that require the teacher to consider carefully the risks of sharing or not sharing them.'

Tolza says 'I can think of many examples off hand.'

You say 'Good, it's impontant to think quick on your feet, when you clearly didn't find a moment to prepare.'

You peer closely at her, trying to figure her out.

You say 'So, tell me your first example.'

Tolza says 'One I have recently had personal experience with.'

Tolza says 'That would be portal portal stones.'

Callesa nods slowly.

You say 'Go on, give me a bit of reasoning on decision about sharing or withholding the knowledge about the portal stones.'

Callesa puts aside her notebook and sorts her paper to a neat pile while listening to you.

Tolza says 'The primary example is that I personally avoid using them despite having the knowledge of using them.'

Tolza says 'The risk of their use is to great in my opinion.... '

Tolza says 'being transported to a mirror of the pattern, another land....'

Tolza says 'a the potential of stilling.'

Tolza stifled a vexed sound.

You say 'And would you say the risk is equally grave for everyone trying it?'

Tolza says 'For one that wields One Power and is unskilled yes.'

You nod in agreement.

You say 'Or simply too weak at the One Power, or careless in spite of a skill.'

Tolza says 'But with one with out the talent and a ter'angreal the risk is less.'

You say 'However, the risks have recently been reduced thanks to a discovery of the ter'angreal you're speaking of.'

You say 'Would you say the risks depend only on the person using the Portal Stone, or are there other factors to be taken into account?'

l tolza
Tolza is in excellent condition.
Tolza is using:
<used as light> a brass storm lantern
<worn on head> a camouflaged hood
<worn around neck> a thin, black chain
<worn around neck> a Kandori snowflake necklace
<worn about body> a dress with colored bands at the hem
<worn on hands> a pair of dark gloves
<worn around wrist> a silver Kandori wristcuff
<worn around wrist> a silver Kandori wristcuff
<worn on legs> a pair of earthen colored breeches
<worn on feet> a set of soft velvet slippers
* HP:Healthy SP:Bursting MV:Fresh >

Tolza says 'Being aware of their location is a factor. '

You say 'And of their situation. Just like in most other situations, the danger is relative.'

You say 'In a battle, you decide whether it is more dangerous to stay or to retreat, what will be the cost of either decision. Here, you decide whether the danger of using the Portal Stone is bigger than the danger of not using it and for example failing to join a battle.'

You say 'So, whom do you think should the Brown Ajah teach about the Portal Stones, and whom should we leave without this knowledge?'

Tolza says 'As to who retains the knowledge.'

You arch an eyebrow.

Tolza says 'That is a difficult question.'

Tolza says 'Obviously not a novice.'

You say 'Not necessarily, you need to have a clear scale in your mind, that you can quickly compare a new student to. And to a Brown, everybody is a potential student.'

You nod at her.

Tolza says 'My personal opinion a Accepted should not be using them.'

You say 'Yes, a novice has no need of using a Portal Stone, is at no risk of accidentally finding one and stilling herself, and also isn't strong and skilled enough to use it.'

Tolza says 'On that fact if they are activated by an Ter'Angreal it would be against tower policy.'

You say 'Well, some of the Accepteds certainly not, not all are strong enough. But many are. But in any case, all of them should recognize the object and know about its dangers.'

You look at her archly.

You say 'How so?'

Tolza says 'Accepted are forbidden to use items of Power.'

You say 'As far as I know, the decision on these newly discovered ter'angreal hasn't been made yet. They may fall into the category of angreal and most ter'angreal, and you would be right. They may also fall into the same category as crystal lightsticks.'

You say 'And when it comes to people outside the White Tower, how would you sort those?'

Tolza says 'That delves deeply in to the balance of power the tower holds.'

You say 'Oh, does it?'

Tolza says 'This is all hypothetical.'

You say 'Not at all, Accepted, these are the daily questions we face.'

You say 'I usually hold trust as the main criterion, and remember that knowledge can often be shared at a later time, but it cannot be taken away.'

Tolza says 'Lets say it is decreed that the item is a ter'angreal and property of the tower after.'

You say 'There is no "let's say" at the moment.'

Tolza nods in agreement.

You say 'And in spite of what we think, you cannot always just force everybody to turn everything over. You don't know how many of these ter'angreal are there'

Tolza says 'My judgment would be that it is to late to put the milk back in the cow. '

You say 'So, you would just tell anybody how to use the ter'angreal?'

You say 'I recommend sticking to the usual ties. If a Shienaran Lancer asks me, I will gladly share my knowledge, as I have only reasons to believe they would use it to battle the Shadow more efficiently.'

You say 'Should a random unknown man ask, I will not teach. With the recent increase in numbers of Male Channelers, False Dragon, and known Darkfriends, I simply cannot be sure the knowlede wouldn't be a weapon against us.'

You say 'However, I will warn even the Lancer about the risks, to leave the responsibility of making a free and informed decision on them.'

You say 'In case of the unknown man, I don't want the guilt of finding out later that they're using the knowledge to bring a trolloc army to the south. Without my help, they might find out much later, or accidentally get stuck somewhere in the Mirror worlds.'

You say 'Is it more clear now?'

Tolza says 'A case by decision.'

You nod at her.

Tolza says 'Pulling again from my own personal experiences. '

Tolza says 'The weave hurricane.'

You say 'Yes, but that is a similar example. Let's think of something not related to the One Power.'

You say 'I have a good example.'

You say 'Accepted Julianna publicly informed about the location of Mazrim Taim a the given moment.'

You say 'Do you think it was a good or bad decision? Why?'

You say 'It is an example from a few days ago.'

Tolza says 'Of course not.'

Callesa smiles slightly.

You say 'And why do you think so?'

Tolza says 'Why would aid mad men to seek him out for training?'

You nod in agreement.

You say 'That is an excellent point, and I agree with you that the decision was not a wise one at that moment.'

You say 'But can you think of a situation, at which sharing the information would be the right choice?'

Tolza says 'That would be similar to announcing battle strategies when a dark friend is about. '

Callesa waits patiently, while you ponder her question

Tolza says 'Location of light side patrols. '

You say 'I mean the same example. Mazrim Time.'

You say 'Mazrim Taim. When would it be the right choice to publicly announce his location?'

Tolza says 'Ah the location of Kerrigan'

You say 'Not Kerrigan.'

Tolza says 'Oh, if one where to be assembling to put the mad man down.'

You say 'Exactly, Tolza.'

Tolza says 'Not that I would publicly announce my plans.'

You say 'Had the situation been a bit different and Julianna would either help the Red Ajah, or anyone else, to put the madman down. Or if protection of innocent citizens was at stake. Which could definitely happen in some locations and moments. But that day, Mazrim Taim was just by himself, probably enjoying a glass of Cairhienin wine.'

You say 'Sometimes you need to do just that. For example, it could also be a valid strategy for discovering a male channeler woolheaded enough to walk there.'

You say 'But I agree the chances of this working out are not that great.'

Tolza nods in agreement.

You say 'At the given moment, Julianna taught the world something nobody needed to know, except for those who shouldn't know it. But at a different moment, she would have saved lives with the exactly same words.'

You say 'I hope today's lesson and this task were useful to you. They certainly help me to get to know you better.'

Tolza says 'Thank you for the lesson Callesa Sedai.'

You say 'See you next time, Accepted, I'll let you return to your other work.'

Tolza clambers to her feet.

You smile at her.

Tolza spread her dress with colored bands, in a precise curtsy.