The Aiel and the Sedai Part 1

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Eldrenia

The Aiel and the Sedai Part 1

Post by Eldrenia » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:27 pm

Point of view: Eldrenia
Main character: Eldrenia
Main character: Elghin
Guest Appreiance: Frya

You narrate 'Elghin given you have so much free time to talk while doing your chores, child. Why dont you come see me in the Solarium?'

Thada chats 'has anyone heard of the last one that went to the Solarium?'

Fyra tells you 'Will there be tea to drink on your lounge?'

Yrza chats 'think they found her floating in the east docks...'

You reply to Fyra 'We like the hard stuff in the yellows ;)'

Thada chats 'ah, variety... the 3 before were in the north harbout'

Thada tells you 'we're building up your scariness!'

You reply to Thada 'lol'

You chat 'You all think they would be found so easily? Cute.'

Elghin - Continuing Down the Hall
Eldrenia - Solarium of the Yellow Ajah

Callesa chats 'The novice makes passable tea, would be a shame to turn her into a river tea bag.'

Thada chats 'ah, variety... the 3 before, that were found, were in the north harbour!'

Thada chats 'apologies'

Elghin - A Long, Portrait-Lined Hallway

You narrate 'In my day when an Aes Sedai commanded, we jumped. Why am I still waiting?'

Elghin - A Long, Portrait-Lined Hallway

The door is opened from the other side.

Elghin - Continuing Down the Hall

Eldrenia closes the door.

You bellow 'Manners child.'

You bellow 'It is polite to knock before opening a closed door.'

Callesa chats 'I would have add more about "back in my day" but then I remembered the First Oath'

Someone knocks on the door from the other side.

You bellow 'enter'

The door is opened from the other side.

Elghin has arrived from the north.

Eldrenia gestures at the door with her hand.

You sit down on a stout oaken chair.

The door silently swings shut and lock with a soft *click*.

Elghin winces as she ducks into an awkward curtsey.

You nod in agreement.

You say 'Better.'

You say 'Elghin, I want you to tell me of your people.'

Elghin says 'Apologies Eldrenia Sedai.'

Elghin furrows her brow and looks at Eldrenia curiously. "What would you like to know? Aiel broadly, or my clan?"

You say 'Lets start with your clan.'

Elghin nods in agreement.

Elghin says 'The Taardad Aiel...'

Elghin says 'Like most clans, the Taardad are... Scattered. Resources are scarce, but, as I've learned, I'm not the only Aielwoman here, so you likely know this already...'

------------------------------------ (went to bond my warder)

You sit down and rest your tired bones on a stout oaken chair.

You say 'Now...'

Elghin sits herself on her heels with her arms crossed over her thighs.

You say 'Do not presume to guess what I do and do not know child. I instructed you to tell me of your people. My reasons are my own and it is not the place of a Novice to question instructions.'

You say 'Did I give you leave to sit, child?'

Elghin winces and shakes her head, rising smoothly to her feet. "My apologies, Eldrenia Sedai."

Elghin stops resting, and clambers on her feet.

You say 'Now, again tell me about your clan.'

Elghin says 'Rhuarc is our Clan chief, to the Taardad Aiel, at least. One of twelve. We are one of a handful of Clans that have sent search parties for the Car'a'carn.'

You say 'What did you do before you crossed the spine?'

Elghin blinks her eyes innocently.

Elghin says 'I was training to be Far'dareis'mai.'

You say 'And that is?'

Elghin frowns to herself and furrows her brow. "I was training to join a warrior sept for women. I think the translation is 'Maiden of the spear.'

You say 'And they sent you off before your training was complete?'

Elghin shakes her head. "Crossing the Spine was part of my training. Myself and a small group of other full Maidens."

Elghin says 'We do not...'

Elghin frowns again, looking as though she's trying to make sense of her own explanation.

You say 'Maybe you should fill me in on what happened after you crossed.'

Elghin says 'We do not train as Wetlanders. We learn in the sands as much as we learn at the Holds.'

Elghin shrugs. "The same that happens to many scouting parties now, with Sightblinder touching the world so closely. Trollocs attacked our party. Those that survived were told to split up and blend in."

Elghin says 'The attack was when I came into the One Power.'

Elghin says 'Since then...'

You say 'Tell me about that experience.'

Elghin shrugs. "I... made myself a part of Caemlyn, learning what weaves- I'm sorry? Which?"

You say 'The attack and how you channeled for the first time.'

Elghin frowns slightly as her eyes go distant.

Elghin says 'Our party got caught out in a thunderstorm on our way toward Caemlyn. Heavy rain, heavier wind. We... Weren't prepared for the weather conditions and had difficulty keeping any meaningful watch.'

Elghin says 'It was a small band of trollocs, but we weren't accustomed to fighting in... Mud. Sand and stone is one thing but our feet kept getting sucked into the mud and making it hard for us to move. I remember fighting one trolloc to a standstill, I think the rain turned to hail, and then my spear was ice... I don't remember much after that.'

Elghin says 'Bits and pieces.'

You say 'Interesting.'

You say 'I'm curious at the logic of ordering the split of the group in an unknown land.'

Elghin shrugs helplessly.

You say 'You have no guess at the logic of your leader?'

Elghin says 'I couldn't say. It may be that the Wise Ones knew of my... Connection to the Source and gave them different orders. Or something else happened.'

You say 'Tell me of these Wise Ones. How would they know of your gift?'

Elghin says 'I know it's said that some of the Wise Ones are Dreamwalkers.'

Someone knocks on the door from the other side.

Eldrenia gestures with her hand.

The door smoothly swings open.
>
Fyra has arrived from the north.

Fyra smiles happily.

You greet her with a light kiss on her cheek.

Fyra says 'Am I disturbing?'

You say 'Not at all.'

Fyra beams a smile at Elghin.

Fyra says 'I thought I'd come meet our novice.'

Fyra looks at Elghin.

You say 'I am questioning this child of the aiel. She was just telling me of the Wise Ones.'

Elghin curtsies awkwardly.

Fyra nods in agreement.

Fyra sits down on a stout oaken chair.
Fyra sheathes Fyras Lash, Etcher of the Light into a belt hook.

Fyra says 'Mind if I listen along?'

You say 'And where do they stand in your society?'

You say 'Of course, sister.'

Fyra nods at you.

Elghin says 'The Wise ones stand higher than the Clan Chiefs... The only one higher would be the Car'a'carn.'

Fyra looks on with interest.

You say 'Do these woman channel as well?'

Elghin scratches her head.

Elghin says 'Any woman that channels becomes a Wise One, but not all Wise Ones can channel. Some have other gifts, but no Power.'

You say 'I see.'

You say 'How long have you been training to be a maiden?'

Elghin says 'Six years. Since I was old enough to wield a spear.'

Fyra looks at Elghin.

You say 'Tell me of you parents. How did they fit into your people?'

Fyra gets a mug of ale from a small purse.

Fyra puts a mug of ale in a small purse.

You grin at her.

Fyra says 'It's water, I assure you.'

Fyra winks suggestively.

You say 'Ah recovering from last night then?'

Fyra chuckles politely.

Fyra says 'Those mugs are lighter than water skins.'

Fyra smirks.

Elghin says 'My father was a blacksmith. He was... I think revered is the word you would use? Metal is almost as hard to come by in the Three-Fold Lands as water. My mother was our roofmistress.'

You say 'Explain further on his status in your clan? Feel free to use your own words. I don't want to hear the translation.'

Elghin scratches her head.

You say 'Do you have head bugs child?'

Elghin frowns.

Elghin says 'No. It helps me think.'

Fyra looks closely at Elghin's head.

You sense Fyra connecting to the True Source.

Fyra weaves a tiny thread of flame.

Elghin's hair is definitely frizzy, but it's got more to do with humidity than anything else.

Fyra frowns, not seeing any bugs.

You say 'You must learn control of your emotions. I would suggest you try to break that habit.'

Elghin says 'Blacksmiths are revered like holy men in Aiel society. Because metal is scarce, those that can work it are valued highly in our society, especially since we can't waste anything.'

Elghin says 'Even in blood feud, no one would dare touch a blacksmith.'

You say 'And how are they treated?'

Elghin shrugs. "They are respected highly, but a bad smith is still a bad smith?"

Elghin thinks hard.

Fyra lifts a chain from her chest and looks at it.

You think really hard.

You say 'To say someone is respected or revered is well and good, but I want to know other than no one sticking them with the sharp point of a spear how are their lives different from that of anotehr.'

Fyra nods at you.

Elghin furrows her brow. "They live as well as any other that does their work. I don't know how else to answer the question, Eldrenia Sedai. Aiel are not like wetlanders where we have the beggars, the poor, and the nobles. Those that work stay with the clan. Those that don't must seek water and shade elsewhere."

Elghin shrugs helplessly.

Elghin says 'If we fought over and hoarded resources, the Three-Fold Land would have killed us long ago.'

You say 'But how do you show them more respect than another? Do they have free rein to be rude with this blanket protection?'

Elghin shakes her head.

Fyra says 'They are protected in battle more than the average Aiel? '

Elghin says 'Ji'e'toh. They are protected in battle, yes, but they also do not fight, nor are they taken as Gai'shain.'

Fyra nods in agreement.

You say 'So if your mother was threatened would he stand by and let her die?'

Fyra moves a stray braid from her shoulder.

Elghin snickers. "My mother would be fighting to defend the roof."

You arch an eyebrow.

You say 'Am I amusing you child?'

Fyra looks at Corele Hovian.

Fyra looks at you.

You say 'I have forced you to our way and in return I am seeking to learn more of yours, but you snicker at my questions? I would expect more from one who claims to follow Ji'e'toh.'

Elghin nods. "As roofmistress, my mother owns the roof. The... Home. She is the one who would defend my father's wares. Not the other way around. He would be protected, but if the Clan were attacked, all who can, fight. All who can't are sheltered."

You say 'Now, I would like my original question answered, without a side step. If your mother's life was in danger would your father raise a spear to defender her?'

Elghin shakes her head. "He could not, no. If it is her time to wake from the dream, then it is her time."

You nod in agreement.

Elghin says 'If he did, he would be banished from the Clan.'

You say 'I think that is enough for today. Im sure you are needed in the kitchen child to prepare for supper.'

Fyra says 'And while at it, the Tower Square barrel is devoid of food for our weary travellers.... '

You say 'I will call on you again soon to speak more on this matter and to see how your studies are coming.'

Elghin dips her head in a gentle incline. "If I may speak freely...?"

You say 'You may.'

Elghin says 'You say that you wish to check on my 'studies,' but so far I learn nothing but how to clean dishes other novices seem to be given leave to ignore, and shelve books in the library. I am told to be 'seen but not heard,' and thus cannot ask questions without seeming to break your Tower rules. I fail to understand how this prepares me to not be dangerous with the One Power.'

Elghin says this with her eyes lowered and head bowed, clearly ready for some reprimand.

You say 'The life of a Novice is not easy child.'

Fyra says 'Questions are always welcome, child. When asked respectfully.'

You say 'This is because you have the ability to be the most dangerous and most impacting force in the world. '

You say 'You must learn control and surrender before you can be trusted to face the challenge that will come.'

Elghin says 'And if I wish to advance in this place rather than be your Gai'shain, Eldrenia Sedai?'

Fyra nods at you.

You say 'When you have shown that you are ready for advancement it will be placed, but you are not Gai'shain child. You are a Novice. I would explore what that means to you.'

Fyra clambers to her feet.

You stop resting, and stand up.

Eldrenia gestures with her hand.

Fyra says 'I must take me leave sister.'

The door smoothly swings open.

You hug her.

Fyra says 'Child, keep up the work on your studies, and be patient.'

Fyra hugs you.

Fyra beams a smile at Elghin.

You say 'See to the kitchens and the food child.'

Elghin says 'With your leave, Eldrenia Sedai.'

You nod in agreement.

Elghin

Re: The Aiel and the Sedai Part 1

Post by Elghin » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:56 pm

*** Long hours of cleaning in the kitchens, shelving books, and doing this task or that for Sheriam Sedai have left Elghin both increasingly bitter with Eldrenia for her hand in bringing her to the Tower, and after the manner in which she was treated, more fearful of further shaming in the tower. After being told that the Tower was supposed to be a place where she could learn to use the Power safely, she's been shown more often than not, that she's a curiosity as much as she is a servant to the whims of the Aes Sedai in charge of the Tower. When Accepted Tolza isn't busy reminding her that she is Eldrenia's gai'shain, of course.

Still influenced heavily by the tenets of ji'e'toh, the fear of shaming by strange wetlanders hasn't given her much room to explore the tower on her own, and even asking for help is a weakness she doesn't dare show her captors when she doesn't know which room she's supposed to meet Eldrenia. She knows she walks into the lion's den, but knows that standing up for herself means punishment, and can't bring herself to act cowed.

Whatever her feelings going into the experience with Eldrenia were, she manages to come out feeling as though she's made some progress at least in the eyes of the Aes Sedai. Despite their talk upon meeting of what it meant to have been captured in the way she was, she comes out of the meeting with Eldrenia feeling less like gai'shain and more like one that could earn honor amongst these very strange, twisty-tongued wetlanders.

Callesa

Re: The Aiel and the Sedai Part 1

Post by Callesa » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:43 pm

Thank you, enjoyable read! Awarded all three participants, please say "receive".